To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Absolutely. The system isn't perfect, but it does go to show how much any one given run matters. By the data, one day is only worth about 2% of the total "Fitness" gained. Consider dropping it altogether and it makes little difference. Drop a run every week, and it starts to show up. Drop back on the pace a touch on a day because of sickness or the like, and the difference is extremely insignificant. It's the totality of the cumulative training that matters. No one single run is king. Consistency is king.
I just wanted to chime in here on what I observed in terms of why consistency matters most during my recent marathon training cycle. In mid October, I had to take one week off of training. The professional demands and stresses were too high to fit training in that week. Aside from that, I only missed two runs during the rest of my training until a cold sidelined me during the taper for Dopey. I took the 5K and 10K easy due to the cold, and while I was definitely feeling strong heading into the half marathon, I also took it easy in order to conserve for the marathon. I knew at the end of the half marathon that I was ready for the marathon because I didn't feel at all fatigued. Normally as I near the end of the half marathon, I'm feeling the fatigue, but know there's enough in me. While I know I hit the wall during the marathon, I also made it through the wall without much trouble. That's not to say it wasn't difficult. Just to say that I was prepared for the race and had a strategy in place to deal with the wall. As it turned out, I didn't need to use all of my strategies as it were.

Former BYU football coach LaVell Edwards once said that he believed that the will to win is secondary to the will to prepare. He felt that the most successful people in life had a great will to prepare.

I saw that come to fruition on race day. All the preparation leading up to the marathon helped me fight through the wall when it came. All the times that I trained when I didn't want to paid off in spades when I needed it the most.

Training Load Calculations (What happens when the next cycle starts?): Part 3

Well, so the wheels have been spinning again. We've thus far talked about different plans working for different fitness levels. We saw that a 4 hour runner and a 5 hour runner would get very different training load outcomes if both did the same Hansons Advanced plan from the book. We also saw that if the 5 hour runner adjusted the duration of their workouts to that of the 4 hour runner, then they would receive the same training load values throughout the plan (therefore duration and relative pace matter more than mileage). We also saw how little of an effect either adding on mileage to the long run, or missing days really has on the overall training load calculation. But in the discussion with another runner about their next cycle, the thought crossed my mind.

What happens when the next cycle starts?

In most of the Hansons Advanced examples, the 4 hour runner started with a training "fitness" of 20 and ended on the day prior to the marathon at 74. A fairly dramatic rise. Conversely the 4 hour marathon runner would have went from 0 to 22 in "fitness" on Galloway Advanced in 22 weeks (Hansons is 18 weeks). That fairly dramatic rise for the Hansons runner suggests they likely saw a significant increase in their fitness as well. They spent 79% of their training days in "optimal" training. So in theory, between the large increase in training load and the time spent in "optimal" one would surmise, the plan was likely to lead to better PR performances. So, naturally, that same runner might gravitate towards using the exact same plan again to see how much further they can continue to make gains.

For a reminder, we showed that if the 5 hour runner adjusts to duration match the 4 hour runner, then they get the same values:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 2.35.27 PM.png

So if the 4 hour runner were suddenly a 3:30 runner, but still did the same durations as the same plan, then in essence the plan remains the same. If they instead did the same mileage, then because they are faster and thus finish workouts faster, the training load will actually be less than the previous one. But for the sake of the following examples, our runner edited the original Hansons Advanced to match the previously completed durations from their first run through. So let's see what happens in a few different examples!

Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with another 18 week Hansons Advanced starting right after the Marathon ends

Here's what happens after the first plan:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 2.39.10 PM.png

159 hours, 924 miles (added in the marathon at 26.2), 100 optimal days, and 79% of time spent in optimal. And then after the second plan immediately following the first one:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 2.40.00 PM.png

159 hours, 924 miles (added in the marathon at 26.2), 11 optimal days, and 9% of time spent in optimal. WOW! A stunning and dramatic drop. Essentially, this runner spend almost the entire time spent training in neutral or fresh. Because there was a size-able drop in training load from the end of the 1st marathon to the beginning of the second marathon, the runner spent a lot of time in "training purgatory". They essentially spent the first 9 weeks not getting any better or worse. Just kind of existing. But even once the end of the plan finally arrived, the training load was kept high enough through the first half that there was little to actually gain on the backend. Thus, they barely ever made it into optimal training. There is a very small difference in the "fitness" at the end of the 1st and 2nd (74 vs 77).

Conclusion: With little to no rest coming off the 1st marathon and jumping into the same marathon plan, this runner spent minimal time in "optimal" training even though it was the exact same plan as the first.

Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with another 18 week Hansons Advanced starting 2 weeks after the Marathon ends and takes some time off

The first plan on the left is normal and on the right is the same 18 week plan with two weeks off at the end of it.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 2.46.02 PM.png

And what happens when the runner starts the 2nd plan?

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 2.47.53 PM.png

The plan on the left is starting right after the last one ended. The plan on the right is after taking two weeks off. The number of optimal training days is increased from 11 to 30 (or 9% to 24%) by taking some time off after the last training plan. So not only did we gain muscular/skeletal recovery post-marathon (a valuable component of good training and staying injury free), but we also increase the time spent in optimal training because we allowed the training to dip a little bit. The final fitness was roughly equivalent as well (77 vs 76). Now what we can't say is whether when taking off for those two weeks and the loss of fitness that occurs there would be counterbalanced by the extra time spent in optimal training. This is only a training load calculation. But if I were a betting man, I'd say spending more time in optimal is probably going to serve you better and make you likely to surpass gains in the non-rested plan. But I've got nothing to say that definitively.

Conclusion: Taking off 2 weeks post-marathon allows the second training plan to spend more time in "optimal" training. It also allows for possible appropriate recovery from the marathon itself. It is undeterminable whether that would increase performance further than the other plan though. Although, gut instinct says yes.

Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with 12 week Hansons Advanced starting 2 weeks after the Marathon ends and takes some time off

Well, now things get interesting. The runner decided, well taking 2 weeks off helps put me in a position where I can maximize "optimal" training over not taking off 2 weeks. But what if I also edited the plan to find the place in Hansons where the "fitness" is the same as where the "fitness" will be after taking 2 weeks off? That crux point for this runner appears to occur at 12 weeks.

So both situations are now taking the 2 weeks off post-marathon.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.00.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.01.09 PM.png

And in the left example, the runner is doing as he did in the previous example (2 weeks off + 18 weeks standard). But in the right example, the runner is taking two weeks off and then finding the crux point where "fitness" is equal to training. If you look, the ending "fitness" after 2 weeks off was around 57-58. The "fitness" of 57-58 during the first training plan was at the 12 weeks to go mark. Thus, our crux point is the 12 weeks to go in the standard plan.

We've now increased the number of optimal days from 30 to 34, and more importantly increased the percent of days spent in optimal from 24% to 36%. So thus far, we've increased the % time spent in optimal from 9% to 36% by making two edits to the second training plan: take 2 weeks off and jump in at an appropriate mid-point in the previous training cycle.

Conclusion: Jumping into the previous training plan where the same crux point existed keeps the training load high and the % of optimal training load days high as well. Now here comes the question... At 12 weeks in Hansons, you're doing just the tail end of the 5k paced work (Week 10 starts M-10sec work), doing about 8 miles of sustained M Tempo work, and a LR around 140 min. If the 4 hour runner progressed from 4 hours to 3:30 hour marathon fitness post-1st plan, would these be an accomplishable workout to jump into? I guess theoretically they should be achievable since the pacing scheme should be set by the prior marathon time (and thus something they did just do at 26.2 miles), but it does seem like a tall task to ask the runner to nail these workouts so suddenly. So another question to ponder.

Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with 10 week Hansons Advanced starting 2 weeks after the Marathon ends and takes some time off

In this example, instead of using the crux point of "fitness" to "fitness", this runner instead chooses to match where the "Fatigue" average in the previous plan is around a +23 from where the "fitness" currently resides. So in theory, the runner should be able to jump start the training even quicker almost instantly being in "optimal".

1st plan:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.00.34 PM.png

And now the second plan:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.13.45 PM.png

Now the runner is at 30 vs 31 days optimal and 24% vs 44% days in optimal. So it's successful, but is it achievable? That would be asking the runner to go from 0 miles to 57 miles from Week 11 to Week 10 (peak was 62 miles in final week prior to taper). That seems like a very tall task. We might be finding a breaking point in the training load calculations vs reality of muscular fitness. I certainly can't say with certainty one way or the other, but this certainly seems very aggressive.

Conclusion: The % time spent in optimal has been raised from 24% to 44%, but is it actually an appropriate workload in practice? Or will this prove to be too big of a sudden jump?

Runner decides to follow up 18 week Hansons Advanced with 12 week Hansons Advanced starting right after the Marathon ends

So then, lastly, the runner says, well taking off 2 weeks + 12 weeks training jumping in at the crux of the last plan seemed the most balanced (with its own lingering questions still existing). But what if I didn't take those 2 weeks off. I just went right in post-marathon #1 to 12 weeks of Hansons Advanced for the next one.

First plan:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 2.35.27 PM.png

And then second plan:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.20.09 PM.png

Yikes! The # of optimal days dropped from 11 to 5, and time spent in optimal down from 9% to 6%. This would easily appear to be the worst of the bunch.

Conclusion: Dropping down from a 18 week plan and immediately jumping into the same timeframe remaining point (12 weeks) for the next plan leads to almost no "optimal" training days and far worse situation than if you had allowed at least two weeks off between (6% vs 36%). Seems pretty clear from these examples, that this is probably the worst of the possible situations. Jump back in too quick to training, train at the same durations as the previous "12 weeks to go", and you end up mostly spinning your wheels and not getting that much better.

I actually know most of these examples quite well. Because I've lived them.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.24.44 PM.png

-Jan-Apr 2017 is "like" my first training plan. It was Daniels Spring 2017, although it could be argued my "fitness" should be higher since I just started using HR values in Nov 2016. But that training cycle saw some tremendous gains.

-Apr-Jun 2017 was spent racing, thus lots of neutral/fresh time. Although I definitely could feel a "loss" of fitness during that time. My HRvPace graph would concur as I reached my peak during that timeframe in late April. That was right around spending ~3-4 weeks in neutral training. But after another 2 months in neutral, I definitely felt stale. Although that time period in June was intentional, because I knew if I raised too soon ahead of the October marathon, I wouldn't have much room to go up (and I was right).

-Jul-Oct 2017 was spent marathon training. But I was barely touching optimal training. Ideally the July training probably have should have come down further. I ended up with quite a bit of neutral time leading into the race (4 days of optimal from mid-Aug through October). Thus, on race day I underperformed and felt stale. Albeit, I did set a PR of 3:14. Just didn't get the sub-3 like most of the other metrics told me I was prepared for.

-Oct 2017-Jan 2018 was spent Dopey training. In contrast to Lakefront (Oct marathon) training, I spent a great deal more time in "optimal". My HRvPace reached new levels, and my fitness was at an all-time high. From Nov through to the taper, I was almost always right on the edge of "optimal". The result was 5 PRs in 6 days and only missing the marathon PR by 1:54. But, on the other side, I did end up with a stress fracture that sidelined me for 4 weeks and took up most of the Spring 2018 training window. But, I do think the gains made in Summer 2017 and Winter 2017 were combined and realized at Dopey.

What do you think overall about the dataset?

Yea, my student showed me a -67F WC for Wed morning, but not what I got on weather underground. This is going to be an insane week.
If windchill is really based on how the weather "feels" to you somehow, this doesn't make a ton of sense. I have never seen data but I find it hard to believe we can feel the difference between, say, -30F and -40F. At some point it just feels meaningless. Can't we just say, windchill of "really f***ing cold", once we get below a certain point?

If windchill is really based on how the weather "feels" to you somehow, this doesn't make a ton of sense. I have never seen data but I find it hard to believe we can feel the difference between, say, -30F and -40F. At some point it just feels meaningless. Can't we just say, windchill of "really f***ing cold", once we get below a certain point?

Right! Looks to be more based on how quickly the body is estimated to lose body heat as a relation to temp and wind speed. But I'm with you.

https://www.weatherworksinc.com/wind-chill

You guys can keep that weather out in the Midwest. I’ll take our 20s and 30s with snow showers every day. And I thought out feels like -5 this past Monday was too cold. That’s balmy compared to your weather.

Yea, my student showed me a -67F WC for Wed morning, but not what I got on weather underground. This is going to be an insane week.

I had really hoped to get back into the swing of things this week, but the weather is making it tough. Instead, I scheduled a minor surgery for next Friday and I'm just going to take it easy for a few weeks and get back into the swing of things in early February. I think any chances of a full marathon in April are out, but maybe I can manage a half...

What a beautiful forecast....

View attachment 378122

Actual temp -19F, and WC of -40?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!?! I didn't even know it got that cold.... :cold:
Cold Cranking Amps for your vehicle's lead acid battery are measured at -18, so maybe just plan on your car not starting and you staying at home unless you have a block heater. I am sure the basement pain cave will be toasty.
Edit to clarify, -18F.

86BBF8E3-BFD4-42DF-8C2B-B53AD294C332.jpeg Fortunately, our forecasted temp has gone up to -10 for Wednesday but for awhile it was -18 real temp. I let my boss know immediately that I would not be leaving my house if it was that cold.

I just wish the end was in sight. It's either negative temperatures or half a foot of snow... Sometimes both.

I had really hoped to get back into the swing of things this week, but the weather is making it tough. Instead, I scheduled a minor surgery for next Friday and I'm just going to take it easy for a few weeks and get back into the swing of things in early February. I think any chances of a full marathon in April are out, but maybe I can manage a half...

Sounds like perfect timing based on the outside conditions. Best of luck with the minor surgery.

Cold Cranking Amps for your vehicle's lead acid battery are measured at -18, so maybe just plan on your car not starting and you staying at home unless you have a block heater. I am sure the basement pain cave will be toasty.
Edit to clarify, -18F.

Yikes! The garage has a heater in it, and my parking spot at work is underground. So I'll probably be safe. That toasty pain cave is part of the problem. Just sweating buckets like a crazy man.

View attachment 378233 Fortunately, our forecasted temp has gone up to -10 for Wednesday but for awhile it was -18 real temp. I let my boss know immediately that I would not be leaving my house if it was that cold.

I just wish the end was in sight. It's either negative temperatures or half a foot of snow... Sometimes both.

Intense! Certainly seems like mother nature is making up for lost time.

Sounds like perfect timing based on the outside conditions. Best of luck with the minor surgery.

Yikes! The garage has a heater in it, and my parking spot at work is underground. So I'll probably be safe. That toasty pain cave is part of the problem. Just sweating buckets like a crazy man.

Intense! Certainly seems like mother nature is making up for lost time.

It sounds like you could be the only one at work while Mother Nature averages things out! My friend in Madison thinks he can still bike and insists others in town will do so. I would like to know if there are bikes on campus that do not look like they were abandoned at the end of the last semester.

It sounds like you could be the only one at work while Mother Nature averages things out! My friend in Madison thinks he can still bike and insists others in town will do so. I would like to know if there are bikes on campus that do not look like they were abandoned at the end of the last semester.

Biking will certainly be tough if we indeed get the 8-13 inch of snow on Sunday/Monday. Losing those driving margins with each snow storm. Some people rent the B-cycles which are one time use back in forth. It'll certainly be an interesting week.

Sweet Spot Base - Mid Volume Phase 2 - Week 3 + 80 Day Obsession Week 6

1/21/19 - M - 80DO-D33-Booty
1/22/19 - T - Bluebell (60 min; 76 TSS)
1/23/19 - W - 80DO-D33-Cardio Core + Pettit (60 min; 39 TSS)
1/24/19 - R - 80DO-D34-Total Body Core + Jepson (60 min; 75 TSS)
1/25/19 - F - 80DO-D35-Legs
1/26/19 - Sa - Carpathian Peak+2 (70 min; 77 TSS) + 80DO-D36-AAA
1/27/19 - Su - Juneau-1 (120 min; 129 TSS) + 80DO-D37-Cardio Flow

Total Biking Time - 6:10 hours
Total Biking TSS - 396 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 5:00 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 123 TSS

Total Training Time - 11:10 hours
Total TSS - 519 TSS

Monday - Steph was leaving for Vegas for a conference, so we moved the 80DO workout to Monday instead. Made Tuesday our off day.

Booty! 3x10 going through the whole set and then restarting from the start
Series 1 (Standing) - Squat to Hinge, Curtsy Lunge Lift, Rotating Back Side Lunge
Series 2 (Quad Ped) - Heel Press Up on Angle, Single-Leg Hamstring Curl, Bear Fire Hydrant
Series 3 (Weighted) - KB Swings, Sumo Hinge, Reverse Lunge
Series 4 (Floor Weighted) - Single-Leg Bridge, Press Up and Over, Camels

Tuesday - We were forecasted for 8-10 inches of snow on Wednesday night. So I debated doing the 80DO (Cardio Core) workout on Tuesday night after the bike ride. But then since I was a single dad, that would really be stealing another 60 min from G. So I decided I would instead wake up at 4am on Wednesday morning to get the 80DO in while G sleeps, then prepare for work, then snow-blow the 8 inches, then get to work. So only the bike workout.

The bike workout was a 3 x (6 x 1 min at 120% FTP with 1 min RI).

Wednesday -

Time for some Cardio Core! It was different than Phase 1. The focus was less jumping jacks and a whole lot of other cardio movements.

An easy bike workout.

Thursday - Sore throat started today.

TBC at 3x10 going through the whole set and then restarting from the start
Series 1 (Shoulder) - Squat/Row/Twist/Row, Kneeling Lunge Clean & Press, Quad Ped Opposite Arm Knee Crunch
Series 2 (Chest) - Chest Press to Half Turkish Get-up, Spider Man Push-ups, Frog Sliders
Series 3 (Back) - "T" to Single-Leg Hip Hinge, Lat Pull Over w/ Leg Raise, Weighted Plank Hip Drop
Series 4 (Biceps) - Low Twisting Lunge Hammer Curl, Press Out to Curl, Weighted Standing Torso Rotation
Series 5 (Triceps) - Crab Position Tricep Dip to Sit Through, Alternating Skull Crusher with Bicycle Legs, French Twist

The bike workout was a 4 x (4x8-minute intervals between 95-99% FTP including 3x5-second sprints at 150% FTP).

Friday - Sore throat still present and I could tell a full blown cold was probably coming.

Legs at 3x10 going through the whole set and then restarting from the start
Series 1 - Reverse Lunges, Reverse Slider Lunges
Series 2 - Weighted Goblet Squat, Modified Pistol on Sliders
Series 3 - Single-arm Weighted Curtsy, Curtsy Sliders
Series 4 - Sumo Squat, Sumo Heel on Sliders
Series 5 - Weighted Warrior 3, Hamstring Curls on Sliders

Hurt my knee on the lunges. Was super sore during and after the workout ended.

Saturday - Full blown cold has arrived. Slept almost 11 hours, but didn't seem to help come the morning. Knee was still sore but couldn't tell if I could do the cycling workout or not.

The bike workout was a 3x16-minute over-under intervals with 1-minute valleys at 95% FTP and 3-minute peaks that ascend to 105% FTP, remain there for 1 minute, and then return to 95% FTP. After the first interval, I could tell the cold was going to defeat me today. My tank was covered in snot from sneezing so much (forgot kleenex). Tried dropping the intensity down. But I could tell I wasn't going to make it no matter how hard I tried. So I decided not to drive myself in the ground. So I stopped 20 min early (before the 3rd interval).

Jumped right into the 80DO workout with Steph after ending the bike workout early.

AAA at 3x10 going through the whole set and then restarting from the start
Series 1 - Bilateral Press, Alt Unilateral Press, Lateral Raise, Y, Lat Side Bend, Standing Weight Knee Drive, Loop Standing Donkey, Forearm Plank Jumping Jacks
Series 2 - Chest Press, Fly, Kickback in Plank, Tricep Pushup, Corkscrew, Teaser, 1st Pos. Bridge, Single Leg Bridge w/ Loop
Series 3 - Pullovers, Renegade Row, Curls, Turned Out Curls, Loop Scissor Twist, V Leg Raise, Narrow Bridge Clam, Straight Leg Curls

Sunday -

The bike workout was a 4x18-minute intervals at 88-92% FTP with brief, 1-minute intermediate recoveries during each long interval. Was able to complete the whole thing without any adjustments.

Went right into Cardio Flow 80DO right afterwards. Not an issue.

Sunday's combo workout stands as one of the highest training loads on a single non-race day thus far. It was akin to a 16 mile run with a 8 M Tempo workout (120 min).

Not yet quite the highest total Fatigue (7 day training load) ever achieved at 80.3.

ETA - Miscalculation in Elevate due to not changing my FTP to 220 as of 1/8/19. So not quite the highest training load ever yet.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter