To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

January Training Summary:
(Completed/Scheduled)

Total Miles: 103.0 / 146.4 (70%)
Total Time: 13:19:25 / 19:01:25 (70%)
Average Pace: 7:46 min/mile (Goal Marathon Pace + 38 seconds)
Average HR: 141/min (71.8% HRR)

January 2018 was a polarizing month for me. It started off with the 2018 Dopey Challenge. My 5th and final consecutive attempt at the Sextuple PR Challenge. Felt confident I could get all 6, but the marathon would be tricky. Ended up PR'ing the 5k (20:06), 10k (39:54, with a new 5k of 19:27), HM (1:30:35) and came oh so close on the M (3:15:59 vs 3:14:05). All around a great weekend. I took my standard 10-14 days off post "A" marathon (did 9 days this time). Came back to an old issue. Right before I left for Dopey I was having some right calf issues. Wasn't sure whether it was taper madness or real. It was an issue up until Expo day of Dopey at which I had no problems. I was able to race each of the 4 races without issue and felt strong throughout. But on the first run back after the time off, the same calf issue was present again. I gave it a week of running (only easy, as is my normal routine for two weeks post time off). After 8 runs with none being issue-free, I made the hard (but easy) decision to shut it down. I've dealt with minor things along the way that I could run through, but this felt different. So I trusted my gut instinct. I'd rather take some time off now voluntarily and keep it to a low number of days, then to have it potentially become a bigger issue that takes weeks/months of time later. I'm aiming for 11 days of no running and re-trying on 2/5. If it's still present, then time to get a professional opinion.

Certainly I was bummed to take time away from running (although my daughter and I have filled that time with Mario Kart). Looking at 103 miles in a month I figured that had to be an all time low for a while now. Turns out it's the second least number of miles run in the last 33 months. But the silver lining is the least number of miles run in the last 33 months was January 2017 (90.8). And I had an amazing Spring 2017 training cycle. So if I can get this issue resolved and come back soon, then I'm still on track to hit that sub-1:30 HM in April and maybe just maybe hit that sub-1:25 HM and earn a corral A placement at the Chicago Marathon. But, it depends on how the next few weeks go as the 2018 "A" goal is the October Chicago Marathon and that means keeping all training choices focused on being prepared for that.

I've been meaning to get over here and congratulate you on a amazing WDW marathon weekend not only on a personal level but on a coaching level. The recap and testimonials are just amazing.

Thanks I appreciate it! Kudos to you as well!

Sorry to hear about being sidelined, but glad you have found an outlet in Mario Kart. I would be interested in a custom DB coaching plan for Mario Kart when you have time.:D

HAHA, not sure I'd be the person to ask. I think a few others on here are the real pros of Mario Kart. I'm still earning my racing stripes. But I'd start with assessing current fitness of your thumbs. Because that's the true test as to your daily duration limits of training (err.... I mean racing). :D

As tough as it is to have a low mileage month ... I hope it means you'll have a similar awesome Spring to what you had last year!
Until then ... enjoy your Mario Kart time :)

I just looked at my first training plan and it was #59 in April last year. Now you're at 176+! Crazy!!

:D You guys keep me busy. Certainly something I'm doing must be going right thus far. But it's all worth if for the recaps of "pride at the finish line", "get out" moments, the "my family said it was impossible but I proved them wrong", and "pre race no way I'll do it again, and post race that wasn't that bad sign me up". 8-)

Hijacking the thread. Need suggestions. Really want to run Hot Chocolate 15k. I am signed up. The issue rain. I can barely tolerate rain when it is 70 but temps will be about 39 and 100 % chance of rain. The rain will start at 4 am and should go till noon. Race is at 7:40. Suggestions? I have emergency rain poncho so definitely taking that, but it will be cold and worse my feet. They will be wet and freezing. I do not have waterproof running shoes.

I want to run but I am so wimpy and sick of crappy weather. I did my 4 this morning in 26 degrees but it was dry and I had on 3 layers.

Hijacking the thread. Need suggestions. Really want to run Hot Chocolate 15k. I am signed up. The issue rain. I can barely tolerate rain when it is 70 but temps will be about 39 and 100 % chance of rain. The rain will start at 4 am and should go till noon. Race is at 7:40. Suggestions? I have emergency rain poncho so definitely taking that, but it will be cold and worse my feet. They will be wet and freezing. I do not have waterproof running shoes.

I want to run but I am so wimpy and sick of crappy weather. I did my 4 this morning in 26 degrees but it was dry and I had on 3 layers.

Honestly, if you dislike running in the rain that much, then I probably wouldn't do it. I know there's a sunken cost, but think big picture. Possible miserable experience and possibility of getting sick from running in cold rain.

For me, if I were running this race I wouldn't wear anything different. I'd be in shorts and a singlet. I would wear a rain jacket in training, but not in a race (unless I REALLY had to). As for shoes, I would put garbage bags on my feet to keep them dry until the race started. Throw away garbage bags or poncho covering the rest of my body pre-start as well. Just properly dispose of the bags before the race start (garbage bag + rain = slipping hazard).

Thanks billy. I am going to get ready to do the run but will check the weather before I go out. Will be a 6 am decision if I do the race. Thinking big picture an injury or sick is not good at this point. Plus this race has nothing to do with my A goal or even my B goal. Won’t feel so bad wimping out if I remember that.

I skipped the race. It was colder than predicted, 34 at start with 10mph winds so real feel of 24, yes am sure the northerns are laughing at me, but it’s raining not a light rain and not a down pour but a consistent rain for the last 4 hours and should last another two. I just could not do it. As I stare out my window and the weather looks terrible, i would be past mile 3. It would not have been fun. I like to run, it is fun for me, but not like this so why be miserable. Will get my miles in this afternoon when the rain has stopped. Not my ideal running in the afternoon I prefer morning but I want to enjoy my run so afternoon it is. Then some football.

61 Days to Go (Still Rosalina)

tumblr_nlfp128xhx1r8zyiso3_400_by_peachyestela-d8ma7az-gif.299175

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace)

1/29/18 - M - OFF
1/30/18 - T - OFF
1/31/18 - W - OFF
2/1/18 - R - OFF
2/2/18 - F - OFF
2/3/18 - Sat - OFF
2/4/18 - Sun - OFF
2/5/18 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 0 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = nd/nd (nd%)

This past week will hopefully wrap up my time off from whatever ails me. Over the course of the week the calf has felt better. Lots of rest, ice, compression and elevation. Yesterday, my ankle started bothering me and that usually occurs during a taper period. So just a sign that I haven't been doing much lately. The silver lining is that the weather hasn't been the greatest recently (4 inches snow yesterday, 2-4 today, and another 8 scheduled for Thurs/Fri/Sat). So even if I were healthy, there would have been a lot of converted hard to easy days.

As for Mario Kart, we've continued to make steady progress towards our goal of earning Rosalina. We've conquered 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc thereby unlocking 150cc Mirror. Thus far I've completed 6/8 series (but only 2 with stars) and have yet to attempt the two hardest series. But we're getting close!

Tomorrow will be an easy 3 miler to assess the situation and then it'll go one of two ways from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter