Tired of SSR being blamed

I don't really have any desire to stay at SSR, but I am glad that there is a property that I can book at very late notice if ever I need to. The only way that is possible is if SSR owners are booking somewhere else at 7 months - so thank you.
And while the rental market may be resulting in a fewer points going left unused, I am also glad that exists. After all, life happens and I may need to rent out my points. Also, I may need to rent points to extend a stay, or go at a higher-point time frame, or a larger unit to bring guests, etc.

So while both of these things may result in the necessity to book my home resort at 11 months, or not being able to book at a different resort at 7 months, I did my research and knew this going in. After all, we all agree that the resale restrictions at Riviera are bad, but only because it keeps owners from booking somewhere else - so why would you be mad that someone is doing just that?

I think a lot of the crunch would be alleviated if Disney would find the IT to be able to implement a service that looks something like a waitlist, but would match reservations up in order to make it happen. For example:

Member A's home resort is VGF. "A" has 6 nights in a standard studio, booked during the 7-11 month window, for August 8-14. "A" would like to switch at 7 months to a BLT lake view studio for the same dates.

Member B's home resort is BLT. "B" has August 8-14 booked during the 7-11 month window in a Lake View studio. Member B desires to switch to VGF standard studio.

Under the system I'm describing, this new database would be able to see and match up these reservations for a "swap." Currently, waitlists only fill when the matching desired dates open through cancellation or resort switch. These switches are less common because there are fewer options to go at 7 months.

If they could figure this out, i think we'd see the gridlock open quite a bit.

I think a lot of the crunch would be alleviated if Disney would find the IT to be able to implement a service that looks something like a waitlist, but would match reservations up in order to make it happen. For example:

Member A's home resort is VGF. "A" has 6 nights in a standard studio, booked during the 7-11 month window, for August 8-14. "A" would like to switch at 7 months to a BLT lake view studio for the same dates.

Member B's home resort is BLT. "B" has August 8-14 booked during the 7-11 month window in a Lake View studio. Member B desires to switch to VGF standard studio.

Under the system I'm describing, this new database would be able to see and match up these reservations for a "swap." Currently, waitlists only fill when the matching desired dates open through cancellation or resort switch. These switches are less common because there are fewer options to go at 7 months.

I have talked to the higher ups (when on the phone about the original 2020 point charts and Riviera Restrictions). They weren't as receptive to the idea as I thought, but I have written letters/e-mails trying to get them to implement this. I've tried to express this on here too to get others to write in about it.

The only issue is it better serves those at the smaller resorts and does little for the larger less in demand resorts at 7 months. But it will actually open some stuff up.

Yes. SSR was the first DVC resort to be sold specifically with the line, "you can buy here but you never have to stay here." I've been trying to tell people for years that line of thinking isn't mathematically sustainable.

And as has been discussed, Poly and CCV have added to the imbalance. I think Aulani also, but it's hard to say for sure.

But I bought where I was happy to stay and try to book early. If the current system isn't working for you, complaining won't change it but fortunately, prices are still up and it's a good time to sell.
Not complaing. Current system works great for us. Just pointing out a number of threads end up blaming SSR for no availabilty at 7 months. When as others have pointed out if not SSR then somethjng else. Its the ones upset aboùt lack of availabilty who want out of their resorts at 7 months that bought for the wrong reason or were misinformed buyers.

I have talked to the higher ups (when on the phone about the original 2020 point charts and Riviera Restrictions). They weren't as receptive to the idea as I thought, but I have written letters/e-mails trying to get them to implement this. I've tried to express this on here too to get others to write in about it.

The only issue is it better serves those at the smaller resorts and does little for the larger less in demand resorts at 7 months. But it will actually open some stuff up.

Seems win/win. Makes members happy. Rehabilitates image on the 7 month / studio / small contract crunches. I’d love to see it happen.

So, dumb guy, DVC novice question here - couldn't we do that through these message boards? Is the system set up to do a swap? Would you then need to make the arrangement BEFORE 11 months so you both could have the same reservation dates (or very close to it)?
I dunno. Just writing this post leaves me thinking this is WAY more complicated than at first glance...

So, dumb guy, DVC novice question here - couldn't we do that through these message boards? Is the system set up to do a swap? Would you then need to make the arrangement BEFORE 11 months so you both could have the same reservation dates (or very close to it)?
I dunno. Just writing this post leaves me thinking this is WAY more complicated than at first glance...
The system is not set up to allow members to swap reservations. That would basically circumvent the home resort booking advantage at each resort.

It’s always possible that two owners could agree to book reservations for each other but DVC does not get involved with outside agreements like that.

You could also find someone who owns at a resort that you want to stay at and either rent from them or have them transfer points to you.

As long as a computer program could look 2,3 moves ahead, it would do wonders. As it is now, there’s no way for the move to happen because the first party isn’t moving. If there’s a place for that party to move, and a second party moves, then all the dominos fall. It doesn’t require ppl to plan ahead, it just needs a good program to proactively make these moves instead of reactively waiting for guests to change reservations themselves.

Last edited:
Seems win/win. Makes members happy. Rehabilitates image on the 7 month / studio / small contract crunches. I’d love to see it happen.

The only thing I see is how would you then actually create a waitlist order. I am trying to see how in practical ways it could work along with current set up.

People with exact dates would be put ahead of others waiting for a resort,,,but then again, nothing moves unless there is a cancel so the swapping wouldn’t change that,

The only way I could see if working is some sort of way for members to advertise a reservation for other members to see on thr website. Once two people connect, then a request to MS could be generated? I just don’t see It being possible MS to do it as there are so many reservations and so many waitlists.

The only thing I see is how would you then actually create a waitlist order. I am trying to see how in practical ways it could work along with current set up.

People with exact dates would be put ahead of others waiting for a resort,,,but then again, nothing moves unless there is a cancel so the swapping wouldn’t change that,

The only way I could see if working is some sort of way for members to advertise a reservation for other members to see on thr website. Once two people connect, then a request to MS could be generated? I just don’t see It being possible MS to do it as there are so many reservations and so many waitlists.
There are optimization algorithms/computer programs that are already in use in many industries for similar problems, its actually a very rudimentary concept in engineering. It can be done it's just not being done because DVC doesn't have a motive and it's actually an increased cost that they can't offset with member dues since this would be on BVTC which it's payment is flat fees via each member and breakage income. So they simply don't want to.

As for the waitlist order you just search the possibilities in order. It's quite doable actually and would be fully automated by a computer. It might not lead to much movement but it certainly couldn't hurt movement at all.

So this a separate database outside of the current DVC reservation process? So I could still book the traditional method at 11 and 7 months, but I could also look through the new database of folks who already have DVC rooms booked but who are willing to swap?

I like the spirit of the idea, but trying to line up my vacation time with what someone else already has planned is going to be tough.

So this a separate database outside of the current DVC reservation process? So I could still book the traditional method at 11 and 7 months, but I could also look through the new database of folks who already have DVC rooms booked but who are willing to swap?

I like the spirit of the idea, but trying to line up my vacation time with what someone else already has planned is going to be tough.
You wouldn’t look through anything. It would be a waitlist algorithm. And regarding dates lining up, that wouldn’t be a huge issue. There are so many people and reservations that it would match up a decent amount of wait lists. The rest of the movement could still happen as it does now.

Last edited:
I bought hundreds of SSR resale points because I took the time to do research and found them to be the best value for me. I stayed at SSR twice before my purchase, but have never stayed there since. I may stay there again someday, but I enjoy visiting all the other beautiful DVC resorts. I've stayed at all of them except Animal Kingdom. Staying at the Grand Floridian or Beach Club on my inexpensive SSR points makes me feel smart.

I didn't know what SAP was either. Kinda funny.

When we bought in resale at AKV which was still available for direct sale we figured we would move around to alot of different resorts over the years, but we also bought at AKV cause we loved it there. once we started to use it we have 90% of the time stayed there only. Only time we "slept around" is in the summer for Beachclub pool, which we are kinda over now. We now look at that area so including boardwalk as a location choice for any time of the year. but in general we only stay at AKV. But my point is when we bought we thought we would move around more, but we actually ended up not. . . so far at least.

The 3 common buying strategies:

1. Buy where you want to stay.

2. Buy where you don’t mind staying.

3. Buy the best combination of price/mfs/length of contract.

The first two options are a matter of personal preference. Option #3 is SSR.

Of the three major buying strategies, only one of those strategies leads to a specific resort. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with exercising that strategy, even if your goal is to never stay there. Whether you stay there routinely or not is not the goal of said strategy

Personally I’m not a fan of SSR, and not because of location. We really like OKW. But I’ll tell you this. We ARE a fan of piecing together last minute vacations and SSR has been a critical part of that strategy more than once.

1. Buy where you want to stay.
I don’t blame or begrudge SSR owners (or anyone else) who swap out a 7 months.

We bought resale BCV for the sole purpose of walking to EPCOT for FW and FG (if we go in May). We bought VGF direct when it hit the mark because we wanted a monorail resort and love the GF.

For our “usual” trips, we book a 1 BR 9 nights around the 10 or 11 month mark with no intention of changing.

We have used our points twice to stay at VGC for 5 to 7 nights. We used our points once to stay at SSR for 4 nights - wanted it to be cheap to save points as spouse was going to a conference in Orlando and I flew down with him for a pre conference Disney trip.

In truth, we did not enjoy SSR at all and would rather pay cash to stay at an Epcot/mk resort if we couldn’t book at an Epcot/mk DVC. But that’s just us.

The 7 month challenge is not an issue for us and honestly we would pay cash to stay at GC if we couldn’t book VGC.

Everyone has different goals and priorities with buying/using their points.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter