• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipsy is as Tipsy Does - A February '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 8/15

Sadly this is the only photo I had, as the boys came back with NOTHING!!!! Apparently the booths offerings of charcuterie,
Oh no! Travesty! That charcuterie was really good. I'm kinda surprised Jason didn't pick one of those up.

You'll note Casey had also picked up a Baymax somewhere along the way with her money. Her toys were suddenly getting larger
I did notice that and I am so proud of your girl moving onward (and to a more youthful choice) from the hand sanitizer! Casey proves to be a kid, after all!

Clearly this was going to fill us up. :P Unfortunately on top of being fairly small, they just weren't good. The falafel were way too dense and overlooked. The tomato salad was fine, but there were no discernible turnips and a huge piece of beet just seemed out of place. I'll stick to the falafel at Skippers Canteen from now on.
Nooooo. I was feeling kind of like I'd missed out on something great, but glad to have you confirm the opposite. If you need to get a quick service falafel fix, I highly recommend Mr. Kamal's at Animal Kingdom. Their falafel is on point and is always hot and fresh :thumbsup2

As you can see this is clearly the smallest glass of sangria in the world. It also just tasted like it was straight out of the box of franzia my inlaws drink.
sick burn against the in-laws. :rotfl2:

Now I don't know who Melissa is, but I firmly blame her for the atrocity that this was. The pork was so overcooked it was almost mushy, the wine sauce resembled nothing wine related, and the few little pieces of poor Melissa's produce could not save it. We ended up taking a bite or 2 and throwing it away. And we couldn't even drown our sorrows in a drink as for reasons I still can't figure out, the only "drink" offerings this booth had were chocolate.
Um. Glad we didn't try this either. Yuck! Melissa, what a betrayal. We like your tiny potatoes so much!

I'll stop there for now. Up next, will the festivus redeem itself, will we get food, will we just further topple into tipsiness??? Such mystery, such intrigue, you'll have to wait and see!
OOOoooh a cliffhanger!! Here's hoping your festivus doesn't require too much airing of grievances :laughing:

Casey got in the drink action too and picked up some sort strawberry soda with a marble in it from Mitsukoshi. I didn't get it, but she was thrilled.

My niece and nephew LOVE these drinks! I don't get it either.

Speaking of chocolate, Casey continued her winning streak with this little gem.

Meet the Artist Palate Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie, which came with a little paint brush so you could "paint" the cookie with icing. Thankfully this was huge so after Casey was done with her artistic masterpiece she could share it with her 3 tipsy chaperones who'd had little to eat at this point.

So cute! At least someone got something good, though, since it seems like the food was a bit of a bust.

At least I thought we were crossing the Delaware, I'm not quite sure what these two were doing.

The picture is cute. It looks like the guys are trying to hitchhike. ;)

I haven't heard much about this festival but it sounds like the food isn't really a priority. :confused3

I've never had any luck at the Morocco F&W Booths so glum that F&G has also gone down this sad little road. I love Tangierine Cafe & also Restaurant Marrakesh but the booths have just rolled goose eggs. :confused3

Speaking of which, if you liked downtown abbey, have you seen the crown yet? Not quite as good as downtown but downright bingeworthy too.

I have watched the Crown and it was excellent. Can't wait for season two. Also can't wait for more of Lady Kari's excellent dining report. Downton Abbey, eat your heart out! :thumbsup2

You're making me regret my "no signatures" booking for the August trip. Everything looks so good!

Also, so disappointing about the festival booths, but I do love a good Snakebite and chocolate chip cookie.

Last edited:
Sounds like the food was off for this segment of your trip, but looks like you all managed to have tons of fun regardless, so cheers to that! :drinking1;)

I somehow missed the link when you started this... But here I am!

Your intro had me cracking up!!! I'll be back to catch up.

Spring break finally I can catch up on everything:flower:your family is adorable as ever, your brother fits right in! Yummy food ,even better booze. Entertaining as always. This festival is not looking too festive. Hopefully the food and drinks part get better for your sake.

So what was her first purchase? Hand freaking sanitizer!!!!

:rotfl2:

6a30fc34-9dfe-480c-a921-bed1fdffbb4a.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhmygosh that looks SO GOOD!!!

I hadn't ridden this in like 20 years so to say I was a little nervous is an understatement. Good news is I survived.

Yay! Did you love it!?

After we got back to the lodge Jason went for a run, Casey went for a swim, and I went for the rum....

:rotfl:

Turns out the worlds slowest boat driver (nicknamed Slowboat Willie by yours truly) was on the clock and the boats were literally running one right after the other.

That's incredibly frustrating! Especially since you left so much travel time for yourselves.

This turned out to be some sort of cosmic karma because we planned to watch the fireworks at 8, but turns out the weren't until 9. #Oops. So that meant a nice and slow dinner for us. Guess I should thank Slowboat Willie after all.

Oh good! It was meant to be! :cool1:

My mouth is watering. These look so good.

Bad news is our cab driver was going at least 70 mph in a 15 passenger van that had over 300,000 miles on it.

:scared1:

Look at that mischievous smile!

Casey got in the drink action too and picked up some sort strawberry soda with a marble in it from Mitsukoshi.

A marble!? In the bottle? Isn't that a choking hazard!?

Meet the Artist Palate Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie, which came with a little paint brush so you could "paint" the cookie with icing. Thankfully this was huge so after Casey was done with her artistic masterpiece she could share it with her 3 tipsy chaperones who'd had little to eat at this point.

That's adorable. And also LOL!

I love the running total with tables in wonderland, thanks! Also I am 171 days away and your trip reports have me wanting to redo a lot of our dinning to try some of these!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen beets on a Mediterranean restaurant menu. Like, never in my life. Such an odd thing to throw on falafel.
Neither have I. I guess after thousands of years of serving some of the best food known to man, disney felt they could use an update :-)

We've always enjoyed Tangerine Cafe especially the chicken shawarma. I made the mistake of ordering a drink there too once. Maybe the white sangria??? It was gross. Wasted alcohol calories!
Yeah we should have totally stuck to the regular menu and skipped the booze. Oh well, lesson learned.

That long piece of beet you are referring too looks a lot like the pickled turnips we get on our falafels here. I think that's what that might be. Your festival of the arts food is not looking too promising so far although Casey is doing quite well! I took your advice on Jiko and booked it for my arrival night at AKL. Curious question....have you ever eaten at Spice Road Table? I am thinking of it for my August trip. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of the day turned out!
Hmm, maybe the "beet" was the turnip and the "turnip" was the beet. Perhaps the color switch was the artsy part of the dish :-)

So excited to hear you booked Jiko. Hope you love it as much as we do. It has never, ever disappointed us!

No, we've never done spice road. The menu intrigues me as we love tapas, but I've never read anything great about it. Seems to be ok, but nothing to write home about.

First of all loving the title :rotfl2: My dad texts my sister and I every year to wish us Happy Festivus.
Well may I be the first to wish you a happy early festivus this year!

Yeah none of those food options are looking very good. I guess I understand the need for another festival since F&W and F&G are so popular, but you'd think they would have the food up to par.
I got the impression this was thrown together rather haphazardly. I could be wrong, but even the "art" portion of the event was highly repetitive around world showcase.

I think Morocco's booths just need to be skipped for here on out!
Now you tell me :P

I'm glad Casey enjoyed her Slushie! She eats better than most adults with her palette! You've done well!
We try and we are very lucky that she's stuck it out this long. I keep waiting for her palate to change, but thankfully nothing yet

I love your selections of drinks (except Morocco) as all of those seem in line with what I like! Glad you didn't get lost on the Delaware ;).

Sorry you struck out on the festival options - I had such good luck on my visit but I went in the other direction!
You totally went the right direction. But I take full ownership of my foul. I just assumed it was spread out like the other festivals were and didn't realize by skipping the center we essentially missed the essence of the entire event.

Hmm, I wasn't sure about the whole Festival of the Arts but I guess you can say it was more about the art than the food? All the food seemed to look pretty though! Cute pics with the characters! I love Casey's sushi t-shirt! It's super cute! And yay for no line for Jasmine! I always fine her and Aladdin's line so long.
Yeah, the festivus was definitely more about the arts than the food. Though even the art part wasn't that prevalent, but we didn't seek it out either.

I was shocked to see no line for Jasmine. Jason had just wandered over there while Casey was doing the kidcot station and realized it was empty. Bonus for us!

The falafel looks a little strange with the beets and tomato salsa, doesn't seem like something I'd associate with it. The sushi looks pretty good, but that pork from America looks a bit blah and I guess it tasted blah too. That's cute that you can pose with that artwork! Was that a festival-only photo op?
That palette cookie looks really cute! I can see how kids would have fun with it!
Yeah strange is a good word for the falafel. I'm guessing they were trying to make it prettier for the arts festival, but they just made it strange instead.

They had quite a few "famous" pictures around the world showcase you could have your picture taken in for the festival. They were pretty busy on the weekend, but during the week when the festival wasn't actually going on it was easier to get in them. I have some pretty classic photos of my brother and Casey coming up in a few more days.

Casey looks like she is getting so tall!
She is crazy tall, just about taller than all the boys and girls in her class. Of course I remind everyone that I was once a tall skinny kid myself and you see how that turned out :-)

Ha, funny you say that, when we were at the bar at Sanaa, I noticed that the Beso del Sol that they seem to sell everywhere actually does come out of a box :( :eek:
I knew it!!!!!!!

I always see these, and I have been wanting to try the Cucumber one! Sounds like they were both decent. Justin will never move away from the Sunset Tokyo, so I'll have to get the cucumber one myself sometime.
I thought they were both pretty good. Slightly on the sweet side for my taste, but I'd definitely get the cucumber one again

So I totally thought that the stuff on the right was pork and the stuff on the left next to the carrot & potato was bread :confused: Poor Melissa and her produce, sounds like it was crappy!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I think me and Melissa would have been much better off had it been bread

Oh no! Travesty! That charcuterie was really good. I'm kinda surprised Jason didn't pick one of those up.
Yeah I was surprised too. But it was close to 80 that day and charcuterie apparently was not calling his name.

I did notice that and I am so proud of your girl moving onward (and to a more youthful choice) from the hand sanitizer! Casey proves to be a kid, after all!
Yes she is most definitely a kid. Just ask that mountain of toys and stuffed animals in her room :-)

Nooooo. I was feeling kind of like I'd missed out on something great, but glad to have you confirm the opposite. If you need to get a quick service falafel fix, I highly recommend Mr. Kamal's at Animal Kingdom. Their falafel is on point and is always hot and fresh :thumbsup2
Yeah we tried Mr. Kamals before and it is infinitely better. I assumed these would be a similar version, but they were just plan falawful :P

OOOoooh a cliffhanger!! Here's hoping your festivus doesn't require too much airing of grievances :laughing:
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: There may be a few more airing of grievances and most definitely some Festivus miracles.

So cute! At least someone got something good, though, since it seems like the food was a bit of a bust.
Bust it was, but we just drowned our sorrows in more adult beverages :drinking1

The picture is cute. It looks like the guys are trying to hitchhike. ;)

I haven't heard much about this festival but it sounds like the food isn't really a priority. :confused3
Either hitchhike or they were rolling some craps dice. One never knows with those 2 :confused3

The food we tried clearly was not a priority. But I found out after we got home, we apparently missed every good both. #EpicFail :-)

I've never had any luck at the Morocco F&W Booths so glum that F&G has also gone down this sad little road. I love Tangierine Cafe & also Restaurant Marrakesh but the booths have just rolled goose eggs. :confused3
I've most definitely learned my lesson and will avoid the Morocco booth and alcohol there in general. We do like Tangerine Cafe, so its a shame they can't get it together beyond that.

I have watched the Crown and it was excellent. Can't wait for season two. Also can't wait for more of Lady Kari's excellent dining report. Downton Abbey, eat your heart out! :thumbsup2
Glad you enjoyed it. I binge watched it on our trip to Key West earlier this year and I'm dying for season too.

Loving Lady Kari. Totally going to have my staff at work start calling me that :-)

I love your TR - all caught up and can't wait for more
Thanks so much!

You're making me regret my "no signatures" booking for the August trip. Everything looks so good!

Also, so disappointing about the festival booths, but I do love a good Snakebite and chocolate chip cookie.
No signatures????? Blasphemy!!!! You should at least sneak one in just for comparison sake :-)

Sounds like the food was off for this segment of your trip, but looks like you all managed to have tons of fun regardless, so cheers to that! :drinking1;)
Cheers indeed. We may not have liked the food, but we know how to have fun regardless :drinking1

I somehow missed the link when you started this... But here I am!

Your intro had me cracking up!!! I'll be back to catch up.
Glad you're here. Pour yourself a drink and enjoy :drinking1

Um, that food is making me sad. Get with the program, Festival of the Arts! At least Casey was winning with her cute Baymax and that awesome cookie!
Well if that made you sad, you ain't gonna be too happy with my next post. But good news for you is copious more amounts of this will occur :drinking1

Spring break finally I can catch up on everything:flower:your family is adorable as ever, your brother fits right in! Yummy food ,even better booze. Entertaining as always. This festival is not looking too festive. Hopefully the food and drinks part get better for your sake.
Hope you had a great spring break. I could only get 2 days off to spend with Casey but we escaped to the mountains with my cousins for a few days which was great.

Yay! Did you love it!?
I wouldn't say I loved ToT, more like tolerated it, but good I got it in because I think Casey is finally ready for it.

My mouth is watering. These look so good.
They were good. So good in fact it made me crave calamari and we had to go out after I wrote this update just for it!

A marble!? In the bottle? Isn't that a choking hazard!?
I couldn't quite figure out how it worked, but the lady in the department store had to open it and the marble starts on top then you have to push it down the neck of the bottle and it couldn't come out again somehow. Made no sense to me.

I love the running total with tables in wonderland, thanks! Also I am 171 days away and your trip reports have me wanting to redo a lot of our dinning to try some of these!
You are welcome, glad you are enjoying. Hopefully you see some things you all wanna try. Sadly we won't have a TiW card on our next trip so that is gonna suck for my wallet.

Festivus for the Rest of Us
Part Deux: Festivus Strikes Back

After a rather lackluster start at the Festival of the Arts, we ventured to Italy where Casey did her best Mona Lisa....

....and we finally found more sustenance.

In Germany we came upon the Cuisine Classique booth (such a fancy name, wonder what it translates to?). Up first we have the
Braised Beef Short Rib with Parsnip Purée, Broccolini, Baby Tomatoes and Aged Balsamic.

FINALLY!!! This is what we were waiting for. The beef was well cooked and exceedingly tender and it paired really well with the tart balsamic. I also really enjoyed the parsnips which were a nice change from mashed potatoes. We washed this down with a couple of Bell's Two Hearted IPA's. I'm not a huge IPA fan, but at this point a tipsy girl cannot be picky.

Speaking of tipsy we also tried the
Port Wine Poached Pear with Vanilla Panna Cotta and Pistachio Crumbs.

These too were oh so good. The pears were sweet, with just a hint of port (despite their deep color) and went great with the panna cotta and crunchy pistachios. Definitely something I'd like to try to whip up at home.

On our way out of Germany we stopped for the mandatory Schofferhoffer, because they simply will not let you across the border without having a grapefruit beer. Then we stopped at the African outpost for some fun.

Clearly Casey was in good hands today:-)

Next up was Arendale, I mean Norway, for the Frozen ride. This was a one and done for me on our last trip, but Matthew hadn't seen it yet so we'd gotten fast passes. Sadly though as our fast pass window started we encountered this.

>:( We tried to pass some time in Mexico with the boat ride (where the boys snoozed) and Casey finishing her kidcot picture

But sadly Frozen still hadn't reopened.

So we ventured over to the Odyssey where the Painters Palate "booth" was. Here Casey got the Pop't Art.

This was essentially an untoasted pop tart filled with hazelnut. It sounded good, but was so laden with icing you couldn't really taste anything else. Casey of course thought this was amazing :P

For the grown-ups we all got a
Pomegranate Mule with Ginger People Ginger Beer and Van Gogh Vodka

I'm guessing the van gogh vodka made this artsy :P I'm a huge mule fan and this one did not disappoint. I loved the ginger beer and the slight tartness from the Pomegranate.

To eat Jason and I shared the Trio of Savory
Croissant Doughnuts.

From left to right we have Chicken Mousse with Fresh Herbs and Everything Bagel Seasoning, Whipped Herb Cream Cheese with Sea Salt, and Spicy Tuna with Sriracha Mayonnaise and Sesame Seeds. And because I know everyone loves it, after beer, wine, liquor, and barely any food let me share my tipsy notes with you: "Good true nut like Tina best but no sirs ha plane good chicks bad thought liver but just mushy chop chix." Which I believe translates to good cronuts, liked tuna best but no sriracha flavor, the plain cream cheese one was good, and the chicken mousse was bad because I thought it was chicken liver mouse and it was just mushy chopped up chicken.

Frozen was still down at this point, but thankfully Test Track was up so we elected to use our fast pass there. I think my brother is the only almost 40 year old man on the planet who was upset he didn't get to ride the frozen ride. Thankfully, as you can see here, that didn't last long.

Overall the festival of the arts was a bit of a bust for us. I'll take the blame for most of it as I had no idea the bulk of the food was at the front of the world showcase so we missed a lot of things. And lets be clear, art festival or not, I was here for the food and drink! On the art front we enjoyed the real life art pictures you could take (I have some real winners coming up in a few posts) and seeing some of the art they had for sale, but as we aren't art people nothing really appealed to us. Hopefully if they do it again next year they can scatter in some more food and if we ever do it again, I'll be sure to do my homework first.

After Ep-A-Cot we headed back to Animal Kingdom Lodge to chill for a while before dinner. Matthew hadn't had time to see much of the resort yet so we had a good time exploring and checking out the scenery. Which in case you hadn't heard, ain't bad

Up next, our version of the super bowl!!!!

They were good. So good in fact it made me crave calamari and we had to go out after I wrote this update just for it!

I had calamari last night. I've been thinking about all week. Hysterical that you wanted it too after writing the update!

I couldn't quite figure out how it worked, but the lady in the department store had to open it and the marble starts on top then you have to push it down the neck of the bottle and it couldn't come out again somehow. Made no sense to me.

Me either. Weird.

Well this looks yummy!!!

Clearly Casey was in good hands today:-)

Always :rotfl:

Oh no! Does it still close a lot or do you think you were unlucky? (or maybe I should say your brother was unlucky!) Frozen is one of the very, very, very few movies we've let Ryann watch so this is definitely at the top of our list to ride this this summer.

"Good true nut like Tina best but no sirs ha plane good chicks bad thought liver but just mushy chop chix." Which I believe translates to good cronuts, liked tuna best but no sriracha flavor, the plain cream cheese one was good, and the chicken mousse was bad because I thought it was chicken liver mouse and it was just mushy chopped up chicken.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Cronuts look yummy!!! Ooh calamari just reading previous posters comments...I think I'll get some! Yum.

So so random but have you been to 2941 restaurant in falls church? I found a gift certificate from yeeeeaars ago that I think DH got a work function?? Just curious. If anyone could review local restaurants it'd likely be you! :-)

Overall the festival of the arts was a bit of a bust for us. I'll take the blame for most of it as I had no idea the bulk of the food was at the front of the world showcase so we missed a lot of things. And lets be clear, art festival or not, I was here for the food and drink! On the art front we enjoyed the real life art pictures you could take (I have some real winners coming up in a few posts) and seeing some of the art they had for sale, but as we aren't art people nothing really appealed to us. Hopefully if they do it again next year they can scatter in some more food and if we ever do it again, I'll be sure to do my homework first.

Definitely an interesting first showing for the Festival of the Arts. We're not quite "art people" either but we do belong to the High Museum here in Atlanta, which is oddly enough not about cannabis and entirely about art and we do love going to the High a few times a year. I loved the Herb Ryman and Mary Blair galleries in the Odyssey, but the booth shop dealios they had set up around World Showcase with art to purchase were really disappointing. GIMME MOAR ART DISPLAYS! AN MOAR FOOD BOOTHS! Overall, I am really glad Disney upped the ante on some of the food offerings at the festival. While there were definitely some misses, there tend to be misses for me at Flower & Garden and Food & Wine as well. At least the festival of the arts misses were pretty to look at! I'll be interested to see what is offered next year.

Hope you guys are having a fabulous weekend!

Hopefully if they do it again next year they can scatter in some more food and if we ever do it again, I'll be sure to do my homework first.
They will probably make improvements based on feedback.

After Ep-A-Cot we headed back to Animal Kingdom Lodge to chill for a while before dinner. Matthew hadn't had time to see much of the resort yet so we had a good time exploring and checking out the scenery. Which in case you hadn't heard, ain't bad
We managed to arrive early enough for our Boma dinner to catch feeding time at AKL. There were a lot of animals clustered close to the lodge for their evening feeding time. I was surprised at how many guests were on their balconies to watch the animals. It was really cool. :)

Hi, loving your food report! You guys are all so cute, sounds like you got lots of good food in, can't wait to read the rest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter