Tipping suggestion on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused3 And can anyone explain how the expected percentage for tips has crept up over the years? Do they all just decide one day we should be shelling out more? The nature of the work hasn't changed and the dollar amount of tips has gone up with the dollar amount of restaurant prices. It feels kinda like being pick-pocketed. I'd also like some answers to @kyton 's question - where will the average customer draw the line?
As long as patrons blindly follow the suggestions they will continue to creep up.

Generally, if it's a party of more than six and the tip is not added, I would automatically tip over 20% unless there was a specific reason not to do so.

I refuse to even look at the "suggested" %. I don't tip on a % basis. How much my entree/food costs has NOTHING to do with how much work it is for the server.

I actually find this really interesting. Unless service is garbage/outstanding, I usually do 20% and round up to the next dollar really just out of habit and because it's easy math. But I have found myself feeling frustrated when my tip is more because I got the $50 steak vs. the $20 chicken. Ultimately, the server is bringing me the same one plate. So I'm not really sure how I'd change my strategy -- but you're not alone in this rationale.

I also find myself feeling resentful of having to tip EVERYONE anymore. This guilt-tipping culture is the worst. Now places that don't even pay the server minimum wage guilt you into it. Like the Panera and Jersey Mike's types. And now that most places do it electronically, you have to stand there as they watch you decide to tip them or not. I hate that. I used to just feel guilty and tip, but now I've gotten resentful of the tactic and stopped. I consider myself to be a generous person, but I don't want to feel guilted into giving you money you didn't really earn?

Last edited:
I also find myself feeling resentful of having to tip EVERYONE anymore. This guilt-tipping culture is the worst. Now places that don't even pay the server minimum wage guilt you into it. Like the Panera and Jersey Mike's types. And now that most places do it electronically, you have to stand there as they watch you decide to tip them or not. I hate that. I used to just feel guilty and tip, but now I've gotten resentful of the tactic and stopped. I consider myself to be a generous person, but I don't want to feel guilted into giving you money you didn't really earn?

My husband usually always tipped at places like this because he figured it was mostly teenagers and they would appreciate a few extra bucks. But then when our oldest started working at a pizza chain she informed us that they did not receive one penny of the tips that were left. All the money went to the manager. And a few other people said it's the same policy at their places of employment. I'm sure not every place does this, but it was enough to turn me off tipping (especially with a credit card) at places where you pick up your own food at the counter. I still feel like a total jerk writing 0 or --- through the tip line though.

My husband usually always tipped at places like this because he figured it was mostly teenagers and they would appreciate a few extra bucks. But then when our oldest started working at a pizza chain she informed us that they did not receive one penny of the tips that were left. All the money went to the manager. And a few other people said it's the same policy at their places of employment. I'm sure not every place does this, but it was enough to turn me off tipping (especially with a credit card) at places where you pick up your own food at the counter. I still feel like a total jerk writing 0 or --- through the tip line though.

I don’t feel bad about it.

If people really cared, they would support minimum wage increases. It’s the kids parents that are voting to keep their kid’s pay down. And then they complain about supporting their kids into their 20s. I find this ironic.

All the money went to the manager.
This is totally not right. I know it is unlawful for owners to take tips. If the manager is doing the serving then yes they deserve the tip. But they should not be taking the tips for the other employees. Heck when I was managing the Ale House I had a few regular customers who decided because I was the manager and salary I didn't need to be tipped, okay not the way it works but I certainly wasn't going to argue with them about it. Funny thing was most of the time I had put in my regular 8 hours in the office before working behind the bar for another 5 - 6 hours or it was the weekend after working 40+. I only worked behind the bar due to staff calling out so I really was working for tips because I got nothing extra for being there.

This is totally not right. I know it is unlawful for owners to take tips. If the manager is doing the serving then yes they deserve the tip. But they should not be taking the tips for the other employees. Heck when I was managing the Ale House I had a few regular customers who decided because I was the manager and salary I didn't need to be tipped, okay not the way it works but I certainly wasn't going to argue with them about it. Funny thing was most of the time I had put in my regular 8 hours in the office before working behind the bar for another 5 - 6 hours or it was the weekend after working 40+. I only worked behind the bar due to staff calling out so I really was working for tips because I got nothing extra for being there.
That's what being on salary is all about. No matter how much (or how little) you work, you're paid the same. Managers on salary shouldn't get tips.

Do the fast casual places pay min wage or are these folks on a server salary? I don’t tip at counter service places or food trucks.

That's what being on salary is all about. No matter how much (or how little) you work, you're paid the same. Managers on salary shouldn't get tips.

I get what being an exempt salary manager means. That is why I was there working 12+ hours per day, 6, sometimes 7 days per week doing what needed to be done.

I completely disagree that managers should not get tips for doing the same job as a server or bartender. I frequent a small tap room where the owner bartends as needed. If she wasn't there the place would be closed (similar to the one I managed). The "rules" say she shouldn't be tipped. Being a decent human being says she should.

I work for a software company who writes cash register and kitchen software for fast food and small casual restaurants. If you use our software, you are able to specify what those suggested tip percentages are in your settings that get printed on the receipt. This can be set on a per location basis so the amounts in different cities, states or whatever can be different. You can also choose to skip them altogether for fast food or if you want your customers to break out their calculators/phones. :)

So in our case at least, it's not coming from the credit company, but the restaurant itself (or whoever is in charge of their menu). Sounds like they think very highly of themselves...

Absolutely disgraceful, I'd have left nothing and told them why.

You would have told the server, who likely has no say on what is on the receipt, why? Or you would have told the owner of the restaurant, who probably doesn't care that much, why?

Because I'm from UK and if you look on the Disney UK boards you'll see the general consensus is that the tipping culture is now out of control and this is totally unacceptable and someone must make a stand. At least annual if not bi annual visitor to USA, and 26+ state visitor over the last 29 years, and I've seen how it's changed. This is trying to push the envelope further.

Absolutely disgraceful, I'd have left nothing and told them why.
Sorry. NO. The server has no control over what management or the owners does. I would have left what I thought was appropriate regardless of what is says. And if I was as outraged by it as you seem to be, I would have asked to speak to the manager to let THEM know how I felt.

Because I'm from UK and if you look on the Disney UK boards you'll see the general consensus is that the tipping culture is now out of control and this is totally unacceptable and someone must make a stand. At least annual if not bi annual visitor to USA, and 26+ state visitor over the last 29 years, and I've seen how it's changed. This is trying to push the envelope further.

The business should just pay the employees more and pass along the increase in price, rather than guilting customers with escalating tip amounts.

You do realize that it's just a suggestion right? Nobody is forcing you to pay 24% tip to your server.
So instead of tipping your server something for the service they gave you, which is customary here in the US, you'd make a stand against their boss because they dare suggest something to you? Alrighty then.

Sorry, but this is a terrible way of handling it. The servers and waitstaff at restaurants should not be punished because you are not a fan of the culture in which they are essentially forced to work. If you don't want to tip appropriately, don't eat in restaurants. Denying a hard-working service employee tips they rely because you can't be bothered to tip them when you know full well what is expected is pretty awful, and no stand is made, just someone who counts on tips from tables being left without.

It is not just those from the UK who believe it is out of control. But as long as people blindly follow along it will continue. Taking a stand is one thing. Taking it out on someone who who has little control of it is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter