• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping Question

megand

Earning My Ears
We have the Dining Plan and it says tip is included, I just wondered if that means you leave nothing on the table or what everyone else typically does. My biggest fear is to have a waiter/waitress think I've stiffed her or under tipped.

megand said:
We have the Dining Plan and it says tip is included, I just wondered if that means you leave nothing on the table or what everyone else typically does. My biggest fear is to have a waiter/waitress think I've stiffed her or under tipped.
The waitstaff knows if you are using the plan they get 18%(I believe)...some DISers like to leave 20-25% and so they are leaving a supplemental tip...you do not have to do this(unless you feel you have had great service). I do not think they will think you have stiffed them :sunny:

First of all do not tell them you are on the package until after the check is dropped! Unfortunatly some servers take this announcement as "The tip is included, so you can ignore us all night".

Secondly, if the service is above average, you are always welcome to leave a little extra cash in the check presenter book.

With all of these packages that Disney is selling, servers are getting less and less cash, and every server appreciates a little cash as a reward for a good job.

I'm not sure I'd recommend holding back the info that you're on the dining plan until the check arrives. Some places have different allowances (for example, some allow add ons, some don't) and you don't want to be surprised at the end of your meal.

We always left a little extra cash -- usually around $10 -- when the service was good. I think there was only one restaurant where we didn't leave extra.

OrlandoMike, That was not our experience at all. We always told the server up front that we were on the DP and we had excellent service.
We used the Dining Plan in October and I believe the included tip then was 15%. I do think it has gone up to 18% this year. We generally left an additional tip, as we felt the service was great!

We also told our server upfront when using the dining plan for 9 days in September. The servers were great and never did we feel ignored. The service we received was so great, we often left an additional tip. We also had the DDE and used it to pay for some OOP meals, while using the DDP too. The servers were great about this and explained each check to us at the end of the meal. The only place during that trip that we felt "rushed" was at the concourse steakhouse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter