Tipping in 2008 - Dining plan and buffets

Status
Not open for further replies.
You pulled only a portion of my comment out of context, clearly to make it look worse than it was. Here's the whole thing: I was not insulting anybody's intellectual capability. I was pointing out that dumbing it down was unnecessary, that it was understood as originally written. That doesn't imply "dumb."

David[/QUOTbeleive it or not, when I started reading this thread, I was going to agree with you. I DO tip less for a buffet. after reading this, I am surprised that the servers get the same pay as for TS restaurants. how do I feel about that? hmmm I'll have to ponder that.

but I DO know that if someone tells me they have to "dumb down" for me to understand them (and , If I don't agree, I must be either argumentative, or not understand them, or stupid) well, all intelligent DEBATE goes out the window. hmmm. I was all set to post and agree with you until that comment.

We generally tip in the 15% range for buffets. The servers are clearing plates & bringing refills through out our meal - we can both end up having a few refills per meal. That's worth the extra $1 or 2 between the acceptable 10% and my preferred 15% tip.

This is sort of funny to me, because until I read these boards I did not know that tipping less at buffets was the "norm." I just figured it's a restaurant, someone IS waiting on you (bringing drinks, clearing plates). I just thought that you should tip like any other restaurant. :confused3

Let me add that the ONLY place I have ever, ever eaten at a buffet restaurant is at WDW. Until I read about it here on these boards, I had never even heard of Golden Corral (and have yet to ever see one in person)! The only buffets around me are Chinese lunch buffets. So, maybe that's why I thought that way.

What I don't understand is why someone would tip less to the server at the Crystal Palace breakfast than they would to the server at Norway Princess breakfast. :confused3 Just because they carry the food to your table at Norway and you get it yourself at Crystal Palace?? :confused3

The only dinner buffet in WDW we ever do is Cape May Cafe. We tip 20%, just like any other restaurant. In fact, we have had some of the best service at Cape May. The server brought us crab legs, pitchers of beer, cleared our plates promptly-perfect service. Honestly, I can't think of a time we even had "average" service at Cape May CAfe. :goodvibes

I guess everyone is different, but the only place I would comfortable tipping 10% for good service is at a bar (no food, just drinks).

I first had to interject this recurring thought I had while reading this.... My dear father is now 84. We used to go out to a local buffet restaurant every Friday (pay day, dontchyaknow). We paid when we entered. Yes, someone cleared the dishes and glasses but we never tipped. If I were to tell him now that tipping at a buffet is the norm I may just send him to his grave :lmao: It's a very generational thing but I can't help but picturing him sitting here and 'listening' to this discussion.

He needs to meet my Dad they would make a team.My dad leaves two dollars on the table whether he is eating at good steak house or a cheap buffet.I have told him again and again about the low pay servers get and of course his reply is "nobody is making them work here"

You would be surprised how many people don't tip 15-20%.Even with excellent service..:rolleyes1 I work in a breakfast place, you would be surprised. The good tippers usually make up for the bad, gosh how we love those good tippers and we servers remember. There are those that just don't care and no matter what they will not tip or tip very little. But I just chuck it up to Karma, or what comes around goes around..

but I DO know that if someone tells me they have to "dumb down" for me to understand them
That's not what I said. Read more carefully, please.
(and , If I don't agree, I must be either argumentative, or not understand them, or stupid)
I didn't say that either. Don't put words in my mouth.

David

He needs to meet my Dad they would make a team.My dad leaves two dollars on the table whether he is eating at good steak house or a cheap buffet.I have told him again and again about the low pay servers get and of course his reply is "nobody is making them work here"

In my ol' dad's defense he DOES tip very well in traditional restaurants :3dglasses it's the buffet thing that would have him seeing green or red or whatever.

Interestingly, we had great service at Biergarten as a buffet - covered by the DDP but tipped extra she was so good. Crystal Palace was good food but horrible service for us - typical buffet - cleared the plates while we were gone but not even a "Hi my name is ___________" schpeel and we had to ask for refills. There's a case for us where the buffet service was like the Old Country Buffet (I guess that would be our local Golden Corral which I've never heard of ) ;)

While I am a server at a local breakfast chain, I only tipped extra on the dining plan once and that was at Ohana. He was excellent and joked around with us, we never went without a refill. Now the others while I would say was good, we did sit without drinks for a while and even at Coral Reef wanted more but never got it. Now if I was tipping OOP I would of left 15% for them but my server at Ohana I would of tipped at least 20%. One thing my husband wants is his refills, especially after being in the heat all day.

I have a question about this and I am sorry it has already been asked. We are a group of 11 going in January and have 4 seperate rooms so we will be getting seperate checks when going to our meals. Will they automatically put the 18% on each check? I was also wondering that if I put down a charge card for my room and no one else does will they automatically charge the tip for the entire group to me or will it still be separate. I have called group dining and can't get an answer from them...

Thanks in advance

I have a question about this and I am sorry it has already been asked. We are a group of 11 going in January and have 4 seperate rooms so we will be getting seperate checks when going to our meals. Will they automatically put the 18% on each check? I was also wondering that if I put down a charge card for my room and no one else does will they automatically charge the tip for the entire group to me or will it still be separate. I have called group dining and can't get an answer from them...

Thanks in advance

If you confirm a group of 11 you are still a party, if you each have different reservations with different tables then the 18% would not apply. But then again you wont all be together and could be seperated around the restaraunt. Go in with a good attitude if you get horrible service then say something, if you get good service then you tipped well..

Thanks in advance

If your party is 6 or more they will charge the 18% no matter how you pay.
Be sure you are very clear about the separate checks right from the beginning. With separate checks each check should be charged 18%.

This is sort of funny to me, because until I read these boards I did not know that tipping less at buffets was the "norm." I just figured it's a restaurant, someone IS waiting on you (bringing drinks, clearing plates). I just thought that you should tip like any other restaurant. :confused3

Let me add that the ONLY place I have ever, ever eaten at a buffet restaurant is at WDW. Until I read about it here on these boards, I had never even heard of Golden Corral (and have yet to ever see one in person)! The only buffets around me are Chinese lunch buffets. So, maybe that's why I thought that way.

What I don't understand is why someone would tip less to the server at the Crystal Palace breakfast than they would to the server at Norway Princess breakfast. :confused3 Just because they carry the food to your table at Norway and you get it yourself at Crystal Palace?? :confused3

The only dinner buffet in WDW we ever do is Cape May Cafe. We tip 20%, just like any other restaurant. In fact, we have had some of the best service at Cape May. The server brought us crab legs, pitchers of beer, cleared our plates promptly-perfect service. Honestly, I can't think of a time we even had "average" service at Cape May CAfe. :goodvibes

I guess everyone is different, but the only place I would comfortable tipping 10% for good service is at a bar (no food, just drinks).

Well said. Everyone has their opinion, but then there is also the norm.

The people who insist on only 10%, and pathetically cite websites are NOT in the norm. Now myself, I don't eat at those chain buffets such as Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, etc, but have been dragged to them a time or two. You enter, and typically pay as you enter. You're welcome to sit where every, and help yourself. The typically have 40 year old, missing teeth, "I'm sure happy HE isn't making my food" type people who just walk up, and ask what you want to drink. One of his buddies pushes a kart around every 10 minutes, collecting stacks of dishes. To get a refill, you'll probably have to wave someone down, as they don't check back up on you.

Now, how THAT is worthy of even 10% boggles my mind. It is night and day compared to a disney buffet. Most buffets have a large selection of drinks available. The server explains the restaurants setup. The server is always round frequently taking away dirty plates, and topping off your drink. They'll be talking to the kids, answering questions as to this or that The server might offer after dinner drinks, or maybe just a coffee. The server takes care of presenting the bill, and however you want to pay.

Hmmm, that sounds almost exactly like any chain restaurant. Yes, a buffet server could slack off just as a Apple Bees server.

The whole, "but I have to go get my own food" excuse is just than, a pathetic excuse. You're going to a buffet for the selection. If you are willing to only eat one plate, don't feel like walking up there, and are willing to double the tip, let any buffet server know, and I think they'll help ya out. ;)

The server explains the restaurants setup. The server is always round frequently taking away dirty plates, and topping off your drink. They'll be talking to the kids, answering questions as to this or that The server might offer after dinner drinks, or maybe just a coffee. The server takes care of presenting the bill, and however you want to pay

I agree a good server will provide all of these services. We ate at Chef Mickey's twice and Crystal Palace once when we were at Disney (9/30-10/13) and our servers did not provide this level of service for us.

They took our drink orders, cleared our plates and gave us refills when we asked for them.

We left the 18% tip that is included on the dining plan, but our servers did not provide the same level of service as the servers from TS restaurants. The level of service that we received from the Disney servers is the same level of service that we receive from our local servers at our local Chinese Buffet. Friendly, efficient, but nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary.

YMMV

My DH has a degree in Culinary Arts, a degree in Hotel Restaurant Management , and has worked in the food service industry since he was 14. He says an 18% tip at a buffet is ridiculous. He says anything from a dollar or two to 10% (depending on how much service you receive) is plenty.

First of all......I can't believe I'm posting on this topic, but here goes.

Not to insult anyone, but concerning the quote from th OP above, where did your DH go to school??? My son is a fulltime honors student in college (3rd yr.) majoring in business accounting and finance, who also works fulltime at an upscale seafood restaurant. I have heard all the horror stories about getting stiffed, after spending 1-2hrs serving his quests, chatting, entertaining etc. I am amazed how many people have the money to order a $100.00 meal, but can only leave a $2 tip. By the way, my son makes less than $3 hr. with no benefits, and definantly depends on his tips for income.

I could possibly understand your DH's statement if you were at Boatwrights for the breakfast buffet, but not at Ohana, or one of the more upscale buffets in WDW. (Maybe your DH is behind the scenes in the kitchen and has never been a server on the floor)

When DH and I went to WDW on the DDP for the first time, we did not realize the tip was included in the plan, thus tipped over and above for ALL TS. No big deal, we had awesome meals and great servers. We have been back several times on the DDP and DH still tips over and above.

Another food for thought.... at our TS meals(buffet or not) we usually order a cocktail or bottle of wine. We ALWAYS tip for our beverages not covered on the plan (at least 18%-20%)....I would be interested to know how many of you tip for non-DDP food items???
Maybe I don't understand this non-tipping sentiment ( and of course I am partial since my son is a waiter) but my feel is........If you can afford to vacation at WDW....... you can afford to reward the wonderful foodservice staff that helps make your vacation a magical one!!!!!!

Oh and one more thought...... we are that crazy couple who also tips your bell hop at the resort, and the bartender at the poolbar, and leaves those cute little envelopes for the mousekeeping with $5 bills in them. WDW would not be such an awesome place if it wasn't for the employees who help make it such a fantastic experience. Thanks to all WDW CM's.

Another food for thought.... at our TS meals(buffet or not) we usually order a cocktail or bottle of wine. We ALWAYS tip for our beverages not covered on the plan (at least 18%-20%)....I would be interested to know how many of you tip for non-DDP food items???

When we went and ordered items that were not on the dining plan our bill for those items showed the total, and the included gratuity of 18%. The receipt also stated "Gratuity Included". Since we were a party of 7, and thus not subject to the 'automatic gratuity' for parties of 8 or more I would assume that all those ordering items off of the dining plan have the gratuity automatically added this year.

IF it is automatically added the receipt will clearly state it is included. If it isn't added then people should tip appropriately for the additional items that they order.

Also, I do not want to come across as sounding 'cheap' to everyone who feels that they tip and tip well. We tip mousekeeping, our bellhop, the cab drivers, once we even tipped a bus driver. We also usually tip extra over and above the 18% that is included/added for our food and our drink on the DDP. I just don't think that anyone should feel guilted into tipping more than what is generally acceptable because others choose to go above and beyond.

Tips are added to the tab for cocktails if you are on the DDP.

Maybe I don't understand this non-tipping sentiment

Who has a "non-tipping sentiment"? It only seems to be people who like to tip excessively accusing others of "stiffing" servers if they don't tip as extravagently.

If you can afford to vacation at WDW....... you can afford to reward the wonderful foodservice staff that helps make your vacation a magical one!!!!!!

Here we go again!

It is not about what someone can "afford" - it is about the custom of tipping. Why do you *only* tip a measly 18 - 20%? Maybe you should tip 30 or 40%? Or maybe 50-60%? Surely you can afford it, if you are vacationing at WDW. And after all, they are creating a "magical vacation." What is a "magical vacation" worth anyway? Only 18-20%?

I've never read a tipping thread that ends up with the posters coming to a consensus :surfweb: We will all retain our ideas of what is proper. My guess is we could agree that diners who stiff waitstaff aren't exactly doing the right thing. Beyond that, finding common ground may be difficult.

No matter what I believe a tip is earned, not entitled. I also believe that ideas regarding tipping vary greatly from region to region, let alone country to country. (In my very Dutch area of Michigan if I told people 18% is the new normal as opposed to 15% people would be shocked!) Which brings up the fact that it can also be cultural depending on how steeped you are in your family line. Such is life. :confused3

As for affording a vacation and therefore I should tip - I'm not sure the logic is correct there though I understand the sentiment the poster is trying to convey. At the same time, I haven't read here where anyone is advocating not tipping or tipping less because they can't afford it.

We will continue to tip, in our family, based on service. Doesn't matter if we're in WDW or at our local TGI Friday's. And I'll probably still 'stiff' the DQ worker and Starbuck's clerk. I know - bad karma for me. ;)

From www.tipping.org

Buffet

Waiter / Waitress 5% to 10% of the total bill is suggested. This depends heavily on exactly how much work is done by the waitstaff. In some restaurants, the waitstaff does very little. Usually is simply bringing fresh linen and/or utensils. In some other restaurants, the staff brings drinks, and some orders from the kitchen directly.

I have to agree that tipping does vary from region to region, different cultures, etc. I grew up in a blue collar family/community in Ohio and not all, but most people tend to tip $1 to $2 per person more so than they tip a percentage of the check. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say that they absolutely will not tip anyone more than what they themselves make per hour. That is of course their right to tip as they please. My husband and I tend to think differently on this topic and always leave a 15-20% tip wherever we dine, depending on the level of service we received. Once, while dining with several family members, they actually yelled at us for the amount of tip we left. They made comments such as "that's ridiculous" and "if you're giving out money, how about throwing some my way, too". Yes, it was extremely embarrassing, but that is their mindset and they will never change. Overall, I am just commenting that tipping is one of those subjects that can really bring up some very interesting debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter