Tiny adult pools---whyyyyyy?

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
I do not understand the logic in making the 2 adult pools (Fantasy) so small. It's like people soup. Hardly any elbow room.
Hotel pools are larger!

I totally get the priority of having a huge and awesome kids pool and splash zone, it's Disney for heaven sake. But can't they make it a bit more accommodating for adults?

Crossing my fingers that the new ships will expand that area a bit.

Ships - at least ones with classic lines like Disney - cannot have hotel-sized pools because it would make them far too top heavy.

Most would argue that the family pool is tiny and people soup.

Me? I avoid public pools as much as possible. And the news lately about crypto in pools - even treated pools, just reinforces my decision to avoid like the plague.

It must depend on how many adults vs families are on a cruise because both times we were on the dream there was one or maybe two other couples in the adult pool tops, while the family pools were packed (and seemed smaller to begin with).

Same.

I have never seen the adult pools as packed as the family pools. Granted the little seating area might be full, but if it is DH and I just hang out in the deeper area (I find the seating/misty area awkward). And the hot tubs are never full, and it's always a bonus to have a hot tub with no kids in it.
If they change the design on the new ships perhaps they can change that misty area to a real pool area.

Every time I've gone in the adult pools we are either the only couple in it or there is just one other person. We try to avoid it on sea days though, I have seen them crowded then.

I have found that on the longer itineraries (i.e. 10-15 days), there tend to be a much higher % of adults cruising with no kids. On these cruises, the adult area is always crowded to overflowing, (with no seating available and crowded adult pools), but the family pools (and deck chairs in that area) are almost empty.

Cruise ships cannot have pools as large as a hotel because of physics. Any bigger and the weight would interfere. What ship pools lack in size some lines make up in quantity. Nevertheless, I have never seen a cruise ship pool that wasn’t crowded on a sea day. If I want to swim, I save it for a port day or during meal times.

I do not understand the logic in making the 2 adult pools (Fantasy) so small. It's like people soup. Hardly any elbow room.
Hotel pools are larger!

I totally get the priority of having a huge and awesome kids pool and splash zone, it's Disney for heaven sake. But can't they make it a bit more accommodating for adults?

Crossing my fingers that the new ships will expand that area a bit.
You need to travel on a cruise line with a slightly different core audience if you prefer larger adult pools.
Take a look at the pools on the RC lines:).

Last edited:
I've seen the adult pool area crowded but not the pool itself, although I've seen the hot tub quite full. I've usually found it is only really crowded with no lounge chairs available on the longer itineraries when there are fewer children on board so more adults are off by themselves (and this only usually on port days during the day). I also find it much less busy during the early dining times. I am looking forward to our next cruise on the Fantasy so that I can spend time at Satellite Falls. On our last Fantasy cruise, the days we had time to go there the waterfall feature wasn't on because it was too windy. But it was just us and our friends whenever we did go so it was very nice. Fingers crossed we have a similar experience but with waterfall.

I have found that on the longer itineraries (i.e. 10-15 days), there tend to be a much higher % of adults cruising with no kids. On these cruises, the adult area is always crowded to overflowing, (with no seating available and crowded adult pools), but the family pools (and deck chairs in that area) are almost empty.

One positive is that these longer itineraries are sailed practically exclusively by the Magic and Wonder, and it seems almost unanimous that they have the best adult pools out of the fleet. But you're absolutely right that even if the pool isn't really occupied, it can be impossible to find seats in that area on either Deck 9 or 10 at times. On my TA last year, there was one point where we were stuck opposite the Twist 'n Spout all day because the adult area was jam-packed!

I agree that DCL's pool offerings are inadequate (though on all the cruises I've been on the family pools were the crowded ones). They make great pools a priority at Disney resorts, but not on DCL. Other lines do often have better pools, despite the limits of being on a ship. I hope the new ships have better pools.

While not as crowded as the family pools, the quiet cove pool can get pretty busy
View attachment 416483
I agree with PPs that it really depends what cruise you're on, which type of pool is most crowded. If you cruise when most schools are in session, particularly on longer itineraries, then you're more likely to see the scenario in the picture above at the adult pool. We always sail during school holidays, and I have never, ever seen an adult pool looking like the picture above, whereas I have repeatedly seen the family pools so crowded, they're basically standing room only- no room for the kids to actually swim at all. Those "kid soup" pools make the one in the above picture look almost vacant.

Last edited:
While not as crowded as the family pools, the quiet cove pool can get pretty busy
I agree...especially if you are sailing longer than 7 days...every sea day usually results in a crowded adult pool. We spend more time there now that the kids are grown...and now that they are in college, that's where they hang out too.

I've seen the adult pool area crowded but not the pool itself, although I've seen the hot tub quite full. I've usually found it is only really crowded with no lounge chairs available on the longer itineraries when there are fewer children on board so more adults are off by themselves (and this only usually on port days during the day). I also find it much less busy during the early dining times. I am looking forward to our next cruise on the Fantasy so that I can spend time at Satellite Falls. On our last Fantasy cruise, the days we had time to go there the waterfall feature wasn't on because it was too windy. But it was just us and our friends whenever we did go so it was very nice. Fingers crossed we have a similar experience but with waterfall.

Can you explain the lure of the falls to me? I've seen pictures of it, and some video with no sound on Youtube... but I just don't get it.... Obviously, I'm missing something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter