Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

MNRMommy

I'm an acquired taste!
Ok, Thanks to CojoChurch & Disneyeveryyear there is a wonderful post with pictures for those of us that are less fortunate in the design ability area. For those of you who want those tie dye instructions they can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=928135

However, my DH patiently read those directions and decided that while totally awesome he wanted a spiral tie dye design complete with Mickey Head. So, I took many many pictures of the process and agreed to post them out here so others could use if wanted.

The first few steps followed the other thread completely.
Step 1, Trace Mickey on plain white 100% Cotton Shirt

Trace.jpg

Step 2: Sew basting stitch with wax dental floss (make sure it isn't mint or anything like that) just outside the traced Mickey head shape.

Stich.jpg

Step 4: Use rubber bands and band area below pucker about an inch to create border around Mickey Head.

BandMickey.jpg

Step 5: Soak in soda ash 20 minutes (we got ours in a tie dye kit) and then lay damp shirt flat with puckered Mickey pointing up.

Flat.jpg

Step 6: Using Puckered Mickey, grabing about where the rubber bands are use the Mickey to start twisting shirt.

StartTwisting.jpg

And keep twisting and twisting

andtwisting.jpg

andtwistingmore.jpg

It will eventually twist up to resemble a danish with many many pleats.

Danish.jpg

Step 7: Using rubber bands, band danish like t-shirt across the diameter and then again and again like you are slicing a pizza until it is snuggly held together.

PizzaPie.jpg

Then, pull puckered Mickey up through the rubber bands that are sectioning the T-shirt.

PulltheMickey.jpg

Step 8: Tip puckered Mickey away from rest of shirt and dye it a contrasting color to those you are going to dye the rest of the shirt.

TipandDye.jpg

When it is totally dyed

Mickeyisdone.jpg

then wrap the mickey head in plastic wrap to protect it from the dying of the other sections.

Step 9: Using three colors dye shirt in thirds with portions overlapping so that the overlapping colors form even more colors (i.e. yellow and blue make green)

Start with one color
Sectiononered.jpg

Use another that slightly overlaps the first color
Sectiontwoblueoverlapred.jpg

Use a third that overlaps both others
Sectionthreeyellowoverlapsblue.jpg

Step 10. Wrap the rest in saran wrap and let sit for 4 - 6 hours (we did it overnight)

Saran.jpg

Finally, the next day unwrap the lovely shirt and rinse in the sink until no more dye rinses off. At that point put shirt in washing machine and wash two or so times.

Here are some of our finished results. This is DS's shirt front and back:

DSFront.jpg

DSBack.jpg

And here is DH's front and back. It has a little more white in it because he was trying to save dye for the kiddos shirts.

DHsFront.jpg

DHsBack.jpg

the visual learner in me thanks you :) The streched thin I do not have time for one more craft project but these are too darn cute mommy in me curses you ;) Thanks for the very clear directions...I so want to make some of these..but doubt I will have time :guilty: I see them with black and orange for MNSSHP....and red and green for christmas...oh dang ya got my wheels spinning!

Thank you for the step by step instructions! My DS was sitting on my lap as I was going through them and he kept asking if I was going to make one for him. Of course, my answer was "Sure". He especially loved the back of the shirts!!

Thanks for the instructions I am totally making these for the whole group of us going at the end of Sept. I'll surprise them with my talents(your pictures will help me look really skilled!) Thanks :thumbsup2

Thank you! Without pics, I was a bit too overwhelmed to try this ... now I think I can. Yeah!

Are the tie dyes available at Michaels/Hobby Lobby, that sort of place?

We got the kit at Walmart. It is the same one sold at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

Those shirts look incredible! Thanks for the clear instructions. You explained so well what to do! I may decide to try these for our trip in June!

How awesome. Those are great directions and the shirts turned out fantastic. I'm headed to Michaels in a few minutes! :thumbsup2 Thank you so very much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!