Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

These are great. Thanks for the "recipe" to make them. Hmmmm...now to just find the time. I know, visit DISBOARDS less.... :rotfl2:

SO COOL! I thank you so much for these directions!! I wanted to do the traditional sprial with the Mickey head but couldn't figure it out!! :cheer2:

I also wanted to mention that you can get high quality dyes from www.dharmatrading.com they also have tie dye kits too. I buy all of my dyeing supplies from there so I wanted to mention them. The procion dyes wont' fade or bleed, I really like them because the colors are vibrant.

MNRMommy, thanks so much for the directions... this is how my shirt turned out!

mickeyshirt.jpg

Thank you for the Pic. It is great to see how everyones shirts come out! Also makes me want to go back to WDW :guilty:

jordancej said:
MNRMommy, thanks so much for the directions... this is how my shirt turned out!

mickeyshirt.jpg
Your shirt looks great! :cheer2:
Did you add rhinestones? How did you get them on (glue)?

Hey Thanks!! Yes i did! I used the iron on type. I would of used more but they werent cheap!! :) I used the swarovski type, they just picked up the light better, and i really liked the way they looked on the shirt.

i have a rhinestone hot setter. I am going to have to add some to mine and DD's now. Seems like every time I log in to the dis I find another craft to do :rotfl:

Here are ours! We got lots of compliments! If this image is HUGE I'll resize...

DisneyPhotoImage97.jpg

MsLeFever I love :love: the shirts!! After seeing those pictures I will definitely have to try it.
Do you guys have any extra tips that will help me with this project. I am a newbie and would greatly appreciate any extra advice!! :thanks:

MNRMommy said:
i have a rhinestone hot setter. I am going to have to add some to mine and DD's now. Seems like every time I log in to the dis I find another craft to do :rotfl:

I know, huh!!! :) I loved the way the rhinestones looked on it! Imagine it not spaced on how i have it, but have them all around the mickey head, right next to each other!! ooooo lalala!!!

celiesky said:
....extra advice!! :thanks:

My tip is wait.... wait... wait... and wait some more for the dye to set. This shirt pictured earlier of mine would of turned out so much darker... but i just couldnt wait!!!

Also the other thing i did to my shirt to make my mickey head come out a little stronger, is that i got the bleach pin and a paint brush... after i dyed my shirt, i redrew my mickey head back on, and then painted on the bleach. I would sqeeze the bleach out on a plate and then work from the plate like an artist palatte. Be very careful with this stuff, cause it can ruin your shirt, you only need a little bit of bleach on you brush and on the shirt for it to work.

Have Fun!! :)

Thank you so much for that great advice. I would never have thought of using bleach. Great idea!! :idea:
-Cassie

My first time doing this dying. I'm an artist but my mediums are oils and pastels, not fabric dye. :bitelip: So I was nervous. My tip would be that instructions say to use a lot of dye. "If it's not dripping dye, you're not using enough" is what I read. Do that, but be careful around the Mickey head and don't saturate it as much and try to keep the other dies further away from the head if you can. It's tough though. These still look okay I think. :thumbsup2 We'll wear them.
dad.jpg

moms.jpg

nick.jpg

Wow! What a great thread! Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I just did two shirts, for my neices. Going to let them sit overnight and see how they look, then do 5 for DH,me, and our 3 boys. I am so excited to see how they turn out!
Katy :sunny:

Thank you thank you, MNRMommy, and all posters for the great advice re: the spiral Mickey Ts. My DD12 and I actually made 8 of them for our upcoming trip-- at less than 5 dollars a shirt (not including labor of course-- I haven't done that much sewing since--well, never!) I will try to post pics when they're dry, but they came out GREAT!
I just wanted to add the following advice before I forget:

We bought the Rainbow Rock Tie dye kit at Michaels-- 19.99-40% off coupon=12.00 It worked great, but the box said it would do 16 "projects"-- we did 3 small children's Ts and 5 adult large, but probably could have done 2 or 3 more adult shirts only-- we really soaked them in dye, which is what we wanted. The colors were nice and bright--fuchsia, yellow, turquoise, purple, green.
Mickey heads came out really well in purple and pink-- yellow and green seemed a little faded, and tended to bleed more.
We let them sit overnight-- really vibrant colors!
Make sure you rinse the shirts well in warm water while they are still bound up, to prevent bleeding into the white area (missed that instruction in the tie dye booklet!)
The rainbow colors are a lot easier to do than I thought-- just follow the instructions in the booklet.
I thought it was really cool how the dental floss stitching just kind of released-- I was afraid I would have to unsew the Mickey head, but it kind of popped open when the rubber bands came off-- :cool1:
Anyway, thanks again for making it possible for this craft-challenged mom to make something that everyone is excited to wear!

Oh yes, please post pics. I am sooooo nervous about doing these!!!! I have no talent in sewing at all and am one of those hands on type of people. I asked some of the moms on my local moms board, but none of them wanted to give it a try for me.......sigh! I really want to make these but the whole sewing of the mickey head with dental floss seems hard?

The sewing isn't hard at all.. you don't have to be perfect with it or anything..

I also want to do a video on this, just have to find the time to get around to do it!

I'm subbing to this thread so I don't lose it. I love the easy to follow, visual directions. The kids and I are going to go pick up kits today!! Thank you posting this :thumbsup2

Okay, I've got a couple questions. We are dying the shirts tonight. I finally got them all (4) sewn.

Can I wash the shirts on cold? I am concerned about shirinking, especially with dh's shirt.

Can I wash more than one at a time? I will be rinsing them out in the sink like suggested above before washing them.

Thanks so much for the visuals. I was truly confuzzled by the written directions.

Thank you so much for detail instruction on how to do this.. I have subscribe to this tread also...

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter