Tickets before reservations are available ? Thoughts?

jessredrabbit

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Hey All

What are your thoughts on buying multiple day tickets before your reservation dates are released? My family including my niece and nephew who have never been to Disney (no pressure here lol) want to go in December but it looks like reservations are only available 3 months out. Do you guys think I should buy the tickets and watch the dates like a hawk to link them when the dates become available or wait to buy until the dates are released? I doubt Disney will do a formal announcement of when more dates are released I’ll probably have to check every day. Thanks all!

Hey All

What are your thoughts on buying multiple day tickets before your reservation dates are released? My family including my niece and nephew who have never been to Disney (no pressure here lol) want to go in December but it looks like reservations are only available 3 months out. Do you guys think I should buy the tickets and watch the dates like a hawk to link them when the dates become available or wait to buy until the dates are released? I doubt Disney will do a formal announcement of when more dates are released I’ll probably have to check every day. Thanks all!
I just asked the same question on another thread. I'd say if they let us do it, it's probably smart to have the tickets ahead of time to save that step when the Christmas reservations open up. I am guessing there will be a lot of people wanting to go at that time.

I just asked the same question on another thread. I'd say if they let us do it, it's probably smart to have the tickets ahead of time to save that step when the Christmas reservations open up. I am guessing there will be a lot of people wanting to go at that time.
I asked the same question while on a chat with a cast member and was told i could buy them. Seems like the smart thing to do so you are ready as soon as we can book.

I wish they would release dates all at once then while people are trying to get June or opening .. we can get Christmas lol... not going to happen though

I'm gonna go ahead and buy tickets as a birthday gift for DD. I have no idea when she will want to go, but my feeling is "Have tickets -- Will travel."

My only hesitation is that I will likely want to purchase whatever new version of AP they may come out with (should that actually happen). If I purchase a ticket on Thursday, do I have to assign a name to it?

Another reason it might be wise to purchase tickets in advance of securing a reservation: I'm assuming that by December, Disneyland will be open to out-of-state guests as well, so it might be even more difficult to snag reservations for popular days (granted, capacity will likely have increased as well, but I'd guess Disney will still have significant restrictions in place).

My only hesitation is that I will likely want to purchase whatever new version of AP they may come out with (should that actually happen). If I purchase a ticket on Thursday, do I have to assign a name to it?
If you're not going until December, I can't think of a reason that you'd want to buy a ticket on Thursday. It's going to be relatively chaotic on Thursday, and it might take hours.

(You could honestly wait until a day or two before those December dates become available and still be in good shape. But I'd at least wait a couple months from now to see if the offerings are more to your liking.)

If you're not going until December, I can't think of a reason that you'd want to buy a ticket on Thursday. It's going to be relatively chaotic on Thursday, and it might take hours.

(You could honestly wait until a day or two before those December dates become available and still be in good shape. But I'd at least wait a couple months from now to see if the offerings are more to your liking.)
Thanks; that makes more sense. Is there any indication that there might be a finite number of tickets for sale? Also, what is the expiration dates of the tickets on sale now?

Thanks; that makes more sense. Is there any indication that there might be a finite number of tickets for sale? Also, what is the expiration dates of the tickets on sale now?
It sounds like it'll just be open season for tickets on Thursday - they haven't given much in the way of specifics, but the pricing chart they posted made it sound like it'll just be like the old days. I wondered if they might do something like WDW does, where they sell you a ticket based on the availability on the calendar (which would be pretty much the only way I'd imagine them "selling out" anything), but it's unclear at the moment.

As far as I know, they haven't announced the current ticket expiration, but I assume it'll be at least January 12, 2022, if not later.

I said this in another thread - I suspect we're all mentally overestimating how smashed everything is going to be in the next few months. Like I think the first two weeks, June 4th, weekends, and most Fridays in May and June will sell out in the first few days - but I think it'll be less crazy than we're thinking. With APers now restricted to multi-day tickets - a lot of people won't be going as frequently, so capacity should be a little more forgiving. That Disney's accepting Tier 2 (the second-lowest tier) 1-Day tickets on days in May and June I think is a good signal that they're not entirely expecting those days to sell out.

And as long as there are days available, I'd imagine you'd be able to snag tickets.

It sounds like it'll just be open season for tickets on Thursday - they haven't given much in the way of specifics, but the pricing chart they posted made it sound like it'll just be like the old days. I wondered if they might do something like WDW does, where they sell you a ticket based on the availability on the calendar (which would be pretty much the only way I'd imagine them "selling out" anything), but it's unclear at the moment.

As far as I know, they haven't announced the current ticket expiration, but I assume it'll be at least January 12, 2022, if not later.

I said this in another thread - I suspect we're all mentally overestimating how smashed everything is going to be in the next few months. Like I think the first two weeks, June 4th, weekends, and most Fridays in May and June will sell out in the first few days - but I think it'll be less crazy than we're thinking. With APers now restricted to multi-day tickets - a lot of people won't be going as frequently, so capacity should be a little more forgiving. That Disney's accepting Tier 2 (the second-lowest tier) 1-Day tickets on days in May and June I think is a good signal that they're not entirely expecting those days to sell out.

And as long as there are days available, I'd imagine you'd be able to snag tickets.
I'm so happy to read your thoughts on this. I've had an AP for so long and now I'm experiencing ticket/planning anxiety. All of my previous strategies and in-the-know methods are out the window! Thanks for being a voice of reason in this maelstrom, ha ha.

We have hotel and plane reservations booked for sept (airfare expires Sept 15th). Based on what is going on we can't make a park reservation till July. So I am going to wait it out a bit to see how things go and either buy my tickets on that day (to wait and make sure my days are available) or maybe a little before. I am more worried about buying 2 5 day hoppers and then NOT getting one or more of my days. So stressful!

I'm so happy to read your thoughts on this. I've had an AP for so long and now I'm experiencing ticket/planning anxiety. All of my previous strategies and in-the-know methods are out the window! Thanks for being a voice of reason in this maelstrom, ha ha.

It's not just Disney. Everything is changed up from the pandemic. We all like familiarity and yet now even going to the local grocery store is a new thing with different routes and protocols.
Kinda scary for an old dog like me, but I figure learning new things is good brain exercise.
Learning how to navigate the new DL will make us all younger! :tink:

I don't think you need to buy tickets too far in advance- as long as you have them a few days before your reservations open up you should be good to go.

So I went on a 3rd party site since I got an email this morning. Wasn't planning on buying the tickets but they are cheaper than through Disney and I bought them and got the tickets immediately. I linked them to my DL app so now they are there and waiting so the minute the reservations open for our days I don't have to mess with buying the tickets. Now just hopefully we get the reservations!!

I have read on facebook Disney groups that a few people have said they have bought their Disney tickets for December and booked their accommodation, so now they just have to wait to closer the to the time to get reservations.

It's not just Disney. Everything is changed up from the pandemic. We all like familiarity and yet now even going to the local grocery store is a new thing with different routes and protocols.
Kinda scary for an old dog like me, but I figure learning new things is good brain exercise.
Learning how to navigate the new DL will make us all younger! :tink:
Oh, I do hope so, LOL!!!!

I have read on facebook Disney groups that a few people have said they have bought their Disney tickets for December and booked their accommodation, so now they just have to wait to closer the to the time to get reservations.
That's what I did. I'm determined to do my annual sister trip this year after last year's hiatus and I'm glad to have most of the process done. I also hope that staying on site helps ensure we can reserve all our park days when the time comes. Also interesting to note that my hotel reservation confirmation from yesterday gave me a time when I can make park reservations that's 6 days before the 60-day window.

That's what I did. I'm determined to do my annual sister trip this year after last year's hiatus and I'm glad to have most of the process done. I also hope that staying on site helps ensure we can reserve all our park days when the time comes. Also interesting to note that my hotel reservation confirmation from yesterday gave me a time when I can make park reservations that's 6 days before the 60-day window.

Came here to ask about this as I had notice that I am able to book tickets with resort stay already for December, but wasn't entirely sure how they were going about it, in regards to booking park reservations. We are also from out of state, and I read on their site that, as of this moment, park was not open to out-of-state residents, so, again, wasn't sure if I should book already. I think it's safe to assume by end of the year this would have change, so booking already should be okay, right?

Thank you for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter