Thoughts on stand-alone DVC properties

Bjaiken77

DIS Veteran
After recently purchasing RIV, and reading a few DVC-related articles, I realized that I now own at the last two DVC stand-alone properties. No thought went into it - it just worked out that way. What are your thoughts, if any, on stand-alone DVC resorts vs. those with villas incorporated into the larger resort. Maybe there is nothing to think about - I don’t know. I just like discussing things and I wondered everyone’s thoughts and, as always, I wonder about future directions. Is there a trend? Obviously, DLT has already been determined.

From a purchasing standpoint, I'm debating this also for my direct contract. The new incentives for Rivera are perfect for me. However, my gut instinct is that maintenance fees are going to be lower moving forward at DVC properties with a hotel component.

You look at what they're doing with Poly, if major construction was required in the future for Rivera (or more likely Vero/HH because they're older) I feel like members would foot the bill completely.

However, it has to be nice to be at an all DVC resort. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt like DVC members have a lot more pride (and courtesy for that matter) compared with regular guests.

I feel like maybe the DVC members pay a bit more towards upkeep and amenities than necessary at the ones that aren’t stand alone that benefit cash guest just as much but they roll the costs into DVC. With the stand alone what you see is what you are paying for hopefully.

I am not sure it’s a huge deal for me as I have never really thought about it,

Since I own at RIV, BLT, and SSR. I have a mix and having stayed everywhere but OKW, and Kidani, I am not sure it made a real difference.

From a purchasing standpoint, I'm debating this also for my direct contract. The new incentives for Rivera are perfect for me. However, my gut instinct is that maintenance fees are going to be lower moving forward at DVC properties with a hotel component.

You look at what they're doing with Poly, if major construction was required in the future for Rivera (or more likely Vero/HH because they're older) I feel like members would foot the bill completely.

However, it has to be nice to be at an all DVC resort. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt like DVC members have a lot more pride (and courtesy for that matter) compared with regular guests.

That’s a very good point. And unlike SSR, it’s not huge so that the cost may distributed across a large number of people. However, my hope is that the cash stays (which are super expensive) help supplement the dues. Also, this is where I like that it’s more of a boutique resort (as opposed to the Poly with the sprawling resort and massive ceremonial house). There’s no massive lobby for upkeep. However, I guess only the future will tell.

I’m certainly curious, as it’s something they haven’t done since 2004. A lot of DVC resorts have been added since then.

Also, this is where I like that it’s more of a boutique resort (as opposed to the Poly with the sprawling resort and massive ceremonial house). There’s no massive lobby for upkeep. However, I guess only the future will tell.

Well there's the Skyliner maintenance, but at least it's spread out over multiple resorts (even if they're lower revenue per night). Rivera is beautiful though, and it may be a waste of time worrying about future maintenances fees. I'm sure that was taken into account during it's planning by Disney.

Well there's the Skyliner maintenance, but at least it's spread out over multiple resorts (even if they're lower revenue per night). Rivera is beautiful though, and it may be a waste of time worrying about future maintenances fees. I'm sure that was taken into account during it's planning by Disney.

oh yeah, no worries here on the dues. It’ll be what it’ll be (I’m screen shoting this to look back on when future me sees the yearly bills…haha). All kidding aside, my curiosity was kind of related to the experience. Some of the resorts, a section is owned by members while others involve the entire resort. Do you think that changes the programs they offer as a vacation club only property? I have to admit - when we went to BCV and VGF I liked getting to the DVC side and saying, “ah, this is the DVC side.” However, it’s also awesome to feel that about an entire resort. It taps into that feeling of “owning the magic” vs. a simple cost-benefit analysis of pre-paid vacations. But since owners own either the resort or villa, that experience is kind of the same…I think

A different way of looking at it - in real estate Location is most important. All of the best located (i.e. walking to parks) DVC resorts at WDW are attached to hotels. I would forecast those resorts with the best locations to hold their value the best.

For many WDW guests location is the priority, not the exclusivity of DVC.

DL is a totally different issue. WDW has all kinds of cheap land, like where they plunked RIV and planned to plop Reflections. Of course it makes more money to charge VGF pricing and charts without the VGF location.

I would not be surprised to see a skyliner expansion to Coronado and a freestanding DVC on that line.

With Reflections shelved, and no WDW DVC construction at all planned, I can see Disney getting creative with existing hotels, I guess we will see in a couple years.

That’s a very good point. And unlike SSR, it’s not huge so that the cost may distributed across a large number of people. However, my hope is that the cash stays (which are super expensive) help supplement the dues. Also, this is where I like that it’s more of a boutique resort (as opposed to the Poly with the sprawling resort and massive ceremonial house). There’s no massive lobby for upkeep. However, I guess only the future will tell.

I’m certainly curious, as it’s something they haven’t done since 2004. A lot of DVC resorts have been added since then.

The cash stays are either for rooms still undeclared by DVD, are from trades and used to pay for the trades or from breakage. The breakage revenue that returns to the association has a cap on it and all resorts reach that cap so there isn't going to be any extra coming back to RIV because of the expensive cash rooms. It'll make DVC happy though as the excess goes to them from breakage and there's probably excess from the trades as well.

Another consideration is that it isn't just dues but the number of points sold at the resort and point requirements to book there so low dues may not mean much and higher dues with low charts might still actually be better if you've bought where you want to stay.

oh yeah, no worries here on the dues. It’ll be what it’ll be (I’m screen shoting this to look back on when future me sees the yearly bills…haha). All kidding aside, my curiosity was kind of related to the experience. Some of the resorts, a section is owned by members while others involve the entire resort. Do you think that changes the programs they offer as a vacation club only property? I have to admit - when we went to BCV and VGF I liked getting to the DVC side and saying, “ah, this is the DVC side.” However, it’s also awesome to feel that about an entire resort. It taps into that feeling of “owning the magic” vs. a simple cost-benefit analysis of pre-paid vacations. But since owners own either the resort or villa, that experience is kind of the same…I think
To me it kinda depends on was the DVC part of the original resort or not. BCV and GFV for sure feel like the DVC part was just added on and they are secondary to the main resort. But BWV feels very much like a primarily DVC resort even though there is a hotel attached to it. But that’s because it was built that way. Also to me BLT does not really feel like part of the contemporary. It has its own check in, stands apart from the contemporary etc. but that may just be me.

Recently entered the Riviera Gift Shop to see the entire floor had to be removed and the new flooring has already been installed...also just saw a sign for elevator maintenance updates in the Riviera lobby already. I guess they intend to keep this resort First Class. Whatever the cost!

Went back and forth but one positive is not being incorrectly tied to cash side costs another is not being a tier lower guest.

I’m just always curious about trends and future. You’ve got all these DVC properties after SSR and all of them are attached to an existing resort. Location, as some have identified, may be a good reason for it. There’s nothing deluxe to commandeer other than Yacht Club as far as a new DVC property, and many have given reasons as to why that likely won’t happen. That’s what got me wondering. Are we going to get a BLT 2? VGF 2? Or are they going to build more new DVC resorts from the ground up?

I’ll be pushing 100 years old for the next DVC WDW expiration date since nothing is close to being built now. I like to see what’s coming along, but as the point charts get more and more expensive, it’s likely I’ll be less interested in the new resorts. I don’t want to be 6 feet under with the back half of my contract still remaining…haha. Although I struggle with FOMO, so who knows.

There’s nothing deluxe to commandeer other than Yacht Club as far as a new DVC property, and many have given reasons as to why that likely won’t happen.

Commandeering might be all that’s in the budget in the next few years. There is a lot they could do for very little money to have something new to sell. They could convert some poly cash rooms, or some Yacht Club. I think they might take over some club level at Jambo and inflate the heck out of the club level charts. Then they can sell AKL again without being tied down to the old point chart. A couple club level grand villas could make a lot of points to sell and put something “new” to be sold.

Commandeering might be all that’s in the budget in the next few years. There is a lot they could do for very little money to have something new to sell. They could convert some poly cash rooms, or some Yacht Club. I think they might take over some club level at Jambo and inflate the heck out of the club level charts. Then they can sell AKL again without being tied down to the old point chart. A couple club level grand villas could make a lot of points to sell and put something “new” to be sold.

I would LOVE if they added on at Yacht Club by taking over some rooms. I could see myself adding on there if that ever happened. Otherwise, they still have that flat ground where Reflections was supposed to be built, but I would think it’d take at least 5 years or so to develop something even if they started in the near future. I don’t see much at WDW on the horizon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter