Thoughts from a 20 Year DVC Member

The combination of my love for being in the bubble and the sheer size of that bubble makes it impossible for me to replace Disney. That’s just me. A beach or island vacation is 2 or 3 days and I am done. Good or bad I have gotten used to the unrealistic amount of choice that DW offers. They got me for life.

25 year member. When we bought, Fastpass, Magical Express, Moonlight Magic and lots of other "perks" that have come and gone didn't exist. We just missed out on the free park passes...oh well. We bought what we bought and have seen things change, things come and go, over the years. It's all good. I'm grateful we can still afford the inflated prices--not just at Disney but everywhere! I'm grateful I can still figure out the tech for the most part...and when I can't, the kids are now 30something and can do it in a snap.
Expecting Disney to stay the same decade after decade is like pining for the gas prices of 20 years ago. We have a BFT (Big Family Trip) coming up including 9 people in 3 generations, coming and going at different times. Planning it has been the highlight of my life after the years (!!!) of the pandemic when I did nothing but sit on the couch with the remote in my hand. I still love everything Disney and my motto is whatever they're selling, I'm buying. It's my Happy Place and I don't see that changing. (And yes, I've been back recently and have had to buy multi-day tickets and make park reservations and use G+ so I know the drill.) Enjoy what we have now because in 20 more years we'll think this was great!

Disney has changed, and so have I. I freely admit my part in the process.

Studios was my favorite park after it first opened. That was before Sunset Blvd was even opened. It's no longer recognizable from those years. My kids would spend a lot of time in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. Raiders show was great. I enjoyed the Lights, Camera, Action stunt show, but that's gone. Backstage tour was 60 minutes. Catastrophe Canyon, the castmembers sewing costumes, the special effects, so entertaining and educational. Osborne lights. Gone.

Animal Kingdom is fine. We always enjoy the safari and the walk through exhibits. Avatar is an awesome ride, but it's not Disney. They just own the rights to it. Same with Marvel stuff.

Epcot has also changed. And continues to change. We were there last year and could barely find our way around.

Magic Kingdom is still fairly classic Disney. I hated to see Wishes go. Loved Illuminations. Both gone.

We started to weigh the cost and frustration of needing to plan everything so far ahead, the cancellation of Magical Express, the check in process. I know this may sound odd, but we started using early check in, and in many ways, I missed the personal touch of checking in, the welcome home, etc. Sure, it was nice to get your room number knowing you could go right there, but the personal touch on many levels is lost.

Disney dropped the buffets, dropped the characters and raised the price... What's wrong with this???
many many things, LOL. The buffets got dropped due to HIGH risk of covid spread, characters, I have no idea, raised prices,it worked. Most are still paying them.

The combination of my love for being in the bubble and the sheer size of that bubble makes it impossible for me to replace Disney. That’s just me. A beach or island vacation is 2 or 3 days and I am done. Good or bad I have gotten used to the unrealistic amount of choice that DW offers. They got me for life.
Us too, just minus the Parks for now.

The OP really made me stop and think back to the 90s and even early 2000s. Back in the day, it was a lot easier to get ready for vacation. It's interesting that back then room reservations were made by calling the 800 number, tickets were purchased the same way, and ditto for the dining reservations. Often you didn't have to wait on hold for someone to pick up and rarely was it more than 15 minutes. The person who took the call could complete everything reliably in maybe 10 minutes. They didn't hang, or crash :-). It's pretty bad that technology, coupled with policy changes, has made it way harder, more involved, and takes much more time than the human-intensive way of the past.

Back then, we also had free choice the morning of as to which resort to visit. Weather is cold, let's do MK today and we'll go to Typhoon Lagoon on Thursday when it warms back up, for example. We were still planners, carefully reading both the Unofficial Guide and Burnbaum, and developing each park's plan, but that anticipation of the vacation during planning was itself fun. And, we had the plan for which rides to do first and the order we would get fast passes on whatever day we ended up in that park.

Now, I swear it takes me way longer and it's way harder to successfully get the vacation set up using the technology given us, and forget about trying to get a human to help these days. In making operations cheaper (for Disney), they have made it way harder and frustrating for the guest. Fold in all the long-lived (unaddressed) bugs and the technology actually interferes with the "story". It took Disney literally years from the time it was first rolled out to get something as simple as online check in to be reliable. Forget about the fiasco rolling out magic bands and MDE.

The required park reservations still make it impossible (or at least risky depending on the week) to swap days around last minute during the trip. But, I'm really hoping Genie+ (despite the fee and current technology issues) gets us closer to the days of paper fast passes, when we tended to get on a lot more of the rides we wanted and weren't distracted from enjoying the story.
it doesn't, and IN my humble opinion and experience they never really got magic bands to work super well, but it did get better. However long ago we realized to cut back on frustration, take a hard copy of EVERYTHING with you. At least once during each trip it has been a vacation saver. I do not have a phone, nor do I take my small tablet with me into the park. I leave the mobile stuff up to others and warn them about their upcoming frustration. We laugh about it. BUT we live nearby now, so it's not that big a deal. I can't tell you how many accidents of varying kinds and dangers we witness because people have their eyes on their phones instead of where they are going. People losing track of their kid, tripping, falling over strollers, walking into things, and one time a young women trying to do something on her phone and keep track of two kids ran right into a older person and knocked her right down on her butt. Another women with her, slapped that phone woman right across the face! Welcome to the happiest place on earth?

One of the greatest things I loved about Disney was the planning and feeding the obsession. I'd spend hours reading up on Birnbaum and this forum waiting to book dining and then reservations. Slowly tweaking the plan based for the kids based on my 'guess' of park crowds, weather, etc. It gave me pleasure knowing my hard work would pay off because I put the effort to be obsessed over the little details. I felt a bit special now because I am DVC and would be treated like a first class air traveler. And why not? I spent tons of $$$ and bragged to my friends how great Disney was. And now? Well, I am just like everyone else waking up at 7AM to book a FP on my vacation and waiting in lines with my kids or I can spend MORE money for a ILL$$$. Am I special? No. Or, I would be treated differently.

You might not completely agree but I don't think I am completely wrong.
You are 100% correct!

25 year member. When we bought, Fastpass, Magical Express, Moonlight Magic and lots of other "perks" that have come and gone didn't exist. We just missed out on the free park passes...oh well. We bought what we bought and have seen things change, things come and go, over the years. It's all good. I'm grateful we can still afford the inflated prices--not just at Disney but everywhere! I'm grateful I can still figure out the tech for the most part...and when I can't, the kids are now 30something and can do it in a snap.
Expecting Disney to stay the same decade after decade is like pining for the gas prices of 20 years ago. We have a BFT (Big Family Trip) coming up including 9 people in 3 generations, coming and going at different times. Planning it has been the highlight of my life after the years (!!!) of the pandemic when I did nothing but sit on the couch with the remote in my hand. I still love everything Disney and my motto is whatever they're selling, I'm buying. It's my Happy Place and I don't see that changing. (And yes, I've been back recently and have had to buy multi-day tickets and make park reservations and use G+ so I know the drill.) Enjoy what we have now because in 20 more years we'll think this was great!
You buying those passes and not seeing how they are taking advantage of us is making it harder for all of us. Just sayin. Glad you can waste money, most of us can't.

Magical Express is the one that really chafes my keister. I think they completely underestimated how important that was to everyone.
See, this one doesn't bother me at all as we never used the service. Ever. Having said that, I can certainly understand why it would irritate folks that did use the service.

The one thing that just drives my whole family nuts was the elimination of the character breakfast buffet at the Crystal Palace. Now THAT is a travesty.

You buying those passes and not seeing how they are taking advantage of us is making it harder for all of us. Just sayin. Glad you can waste money, most of us can't.

What a weird thing to say...imagine attempting to shame grown adults you don't know because you don't like how they spend their money. Disney is pricing things in the way the market will bear. That's not anyone on this forums doing and trying to shame people for buying things they want is silly and immature.

Interesting thread. One thing I think is always missing from these is a correlation to other travel experiences. I agree with a lot of what's been said, but much of it applies elsewhere as well. With DVC we still get a very nice prepaid villa at a deluxe resort. With BCV we get a very nice pool area as well with some decent food options (not the greatest, I admit; cape may cafe and beaches & cream are both a sore excuse for what they once were.) Having bought in years ago makes us able to afford this where had we not, we'd be paying $600/night for a regular room. Now, compare that to hotels off property. Have you seen what it costs for something comparable? Not as much difference as you probably think. Check out other locations as well -- resort fees, parking fees, etc. are becoming the norm these days, and things book up a lot faster, too. Many of the hotels even all the way out on Palm Pkwy often cost way over $200/night for the most basic amenities and not always the best upkeep or experience (to put it mildly; I have some stories about a couple of those places... :rolleyes: )

As I said, I agree with a lot of the sentiment and have shared many of my gripes here on these forums. But this is the nature of the beast nowadays, and it's important to compare to other vacation options. You're likely to realize it's not as bad as you thought :).

Wait what? Crystal Palace not having characters is a hangover from COVID that's waiting on staffing levels to get back up to normal. They haven't been eliminated.
Well it wasn't open for breakfast last week when we were at WDW. If there plans to bring it back, I'd sure like to know when. We have another trip in September and would love to go.

We were at Disneyworld 2 weeks ago for the Guardians preview, awesome! Stayed at OKW, first time, cash stay really like the resort. Parks were crowded, tried Genie+ didn't like it. It seems to me they just added this as a way to raise prices while not actually raising ticket prices. My 10yo daughter can pretty much take it or leave it with Disney, I think Mom and I get more excited than her. Really miss Fast Pass+ Genie + is almost useless IMO.

Didn't read all the responses, but I've been to WDW (from Chicago) 5 times this year and I have no issues whatsoever with my DVC. Most of my trips were 3-5 nights and booked a few months out. Stays were: BWV, offsite, BWV again, Coronado on cash, and OKW. I could have had more DVC stays, but not enough points.

However, the parks and WDW as a whole are another story.
Park reservations are ridiculous, hopping only after 2 and only if you've actually tapped in at first park sucks, didn't enjoy the Genie+ / LL process, Disney IT is as glitchy as ever, staff shortages are super obvious, and we need to bring APs back!!!!

I had to change our whole day around and miss out on our morning park on the last day because the system took a second ticket from my account when we hopped earlier in the week and we did not realize it. So, the last day, we went to make Genie+ and LL reservations and could not because I "didn't have a valid ticket". That was very frustrating. If there had not been alternate park reservations available day of (as can often happen) it would have been even more frustrating.

I've only been DVC since 2017 and it is what has made trips these last years possible for us. Lack of APs has been a huge bummer and changed the content of our trips. We were lucky to take advantage of 2 MM's and my DD's ticket perks to minimize ticket purchases. Without those perks, many of the trips would not have happened - though they wouldn't have been "necessary" as visits to my DD either. lol

I agree with the original poster for the most part. We were never early risers once we purchased DVC 21 years ago, so we tended to hit the parks for lunch then do attractions. As time went on, we started going back to the resort earlier and earlier

I’m disappointed in the changes, the spur of the moment changes, on a dime or whim as we wanted. Now everything feels so regimented and planned. No spontaneity to a vacation.

On another forum just a few days ago a similar subject was brought up and I think the nail was hit on the head. We aren’t creatures of change for the most part. We like for things to stay the same, familiarity breeds comfort. Now, they have taken away FP, I too miss the ol days of just rounding up a paper ticket. But then booking on computer or phone guaranteed 3 FPs. Ok, I began to like that.

Now we have to book parks months in advance, that really took spontaneous actions away as I might be at MK but around 4 pm I want to go to Epcot to catch an Eat to the Beat show. Having to wonder if I can get in or not bugs me.

On the forum chat mentioned, someone brought up a good point. All us fans were probably enamored with all that WDW had to offer early on. But some of us had friends that had been going to WDW long before us, and they were starting to grumble about how things were changing, not for the better. I feel like that’s where I am today. I won’t stop going but I won’t be as enamored with it all. But change is going to happen. We can climb aboard, we can buck it all the way, but we can’t change the fact it’s going to happen.

DVC since 2006 and in the past I simply adjusted to whatever WDW does. However, they have gone beyond the norm with the recent cost increases (e.g.: eliminating ME - you could have just charged maybe $10 the first year and increased periodically but it seems there was more than just charging behind the decision) park restrictions, AP restrictions and we have no idea when APs will come back, reduction in housecleaning services (maybe because they cannot find people to work).

So we have enough Disney VISA points to pay for all our expenses for two trips a year, don't use Genie+, don't get up at 7 - hey I'm on vacation - and make sandwiches for a few days for lunch (DWs idea not mine).

I bought DVC to RELAX and stay at a upscale resort. Total yearly cost is airplane tickets, MEARS transport, annual pass and maintenance fee. I can live with that for now.

I took my daughter the The Galápagos Islands for Christmas, it cost me a lot less than a trip to WDW. It was a land based tour and our accommodations weren’t fancy, but we got to swim with turtles and marine iguanas every day.
My daughter and her friend flew to the Galapagos around Dec 10, 2021 and had an awesome time! They stayed at a small (and very clean) hotel for under $50 a night, which included fresh fruit, coffee and breads each day. It was a budget trip but not a budget experience. The lodging owner picked them up at the airport, offered all kinds of information on what to do and where to go, even to the point of offering to do their laundry if needed. They visited various beaches, did a fishing boat expedition of some sort, visited a compound with the turtles as well as saw them in the wild, and did other stuff I can't remember right now. It's absolutely possible to go and stay deluxe as well, but sometimes the experiences can be first class without being super expensive. I followed along demanding whatsapp videos and pictures as it was my idea of a quick getaway. The first video had a seal waddling around and a blue footed booby on the rocks - so exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter