Thoughts from a 20 Year DVC Member

lodgelady

DIS Veteran
Feeling nostalgic...Just wanted to commiserate as a long-time DVC mom and now grandma. I am sad that for our family that planning a few days together in WDW has become so complicated- overwhelming is the word that comes to mind. Too much! Feel like we had the best of it in the 90's when our kids were small. Did not have trouble getting any DVC room we wanted as long as it was not Christmas or Easter. In the parks, we would use early entry or late hours to decide what parks to go to, and take advantage of the perks of being onsite. We would take turns going to get Fast Pass tickets for the group, and mostly got on the rides we wanted with some simple strategies. Nothing is perfect, but it seemed much more carefree & vacation-like. Yup-I'm old :crutches:Thanks for listening!
(P.S. Forgot about how easy it made planning/changing plans when tickets did not expire (for free too!)

Last edited:
We’ve only been members for a couple of years and are planning on being there within hours. The process outside of Disney to just get there is exhausting already!
This never ending pandemic combined with the seasonal tip of the planet away from the sun is bringing me down. Combine that with a strangely increasing anxiety related to travel of all sorts, and it’s overwhelming.
I haven’t even started to think about Genie+, how to get it, whether I should get it, whether I should book fancy rides at 7am… or just stay in my cozy bed snoring… maybe skip the parks altogether…
I had planned on running during Marathon weekend but it looks like I left my registration to the wrong personal assistant/well-meaning family member, so I might not…
It’s still WDW. They still sell drinks. Alcoholic ones, and fruity ones with silly garnishes in strangely shaped vessels… and there’ll be shopping to satisfy that other itch. It’ll still be a great family vacation.

I agree 100%. Been a DVC member since 2004 and miss the way it was much more fun and EASY to plan a family vacation. Now it seems as if people need a vacation just from planning/paying for a Disney vacation. This includes the newer I do not care management they now have in place. This new management seems to only be interested in being a money making large theme park and has gotten away from what got them to the top in the first place. I guess this is what happens when you put bean counters in charge...ºoº

One more in the AGREE column. It is a real chore now, a simple change of dates by a few days make it a hassle with the dated tickets, dining reservations.... Sadly we're on what is most likely our last of 29 years as members, it's just too much hassle to plan, not to mention the crazy increases in ticket cost, food ... Time to move on.

Genie+ actually eliminated one of the primary advance planning steps: there's no longer a need, nor even an ability, to schedule ride times in advance. That seemed to be a popular criticism of FP+, so I guess some people finally got their wish...

I agree too! Purchased 17 years ago, when DH and I were first married. Man, did we get a bargain compared to today's prices! We used to get an AP, do 3 trips a year with the AP, take a year off, then do it all over again.

I rented out points the last 2 years b/c of Covid. Was looking forward to heading back this year, and doing 3 trips again. No AP sales makes that impossible though. So that it my biggest gripe.

As the paying for fastpasses, no magical express, and the constant nickel and diming, and it just doesn't feel magical. Our kids are 12, 10, and 8, and are still into Disney, but we might switch to Universal this year for our upcoming March trip. Debating if we still stay at DVC and commute to Universal, or rent the points out. Holding onto the reservations for now on the chance that APs become available.

IMHO:
DVC is what it is.
Pre-paid vacation time.
The process has not really changed, this is from someone who has been a member since '93.
If you feel the other changes that have been made make the effort to go to much, then sell and enjoy your profits.
I have seen changes to:
points charts
MF going up
knew as soon as they started building a 2nd DVC resort that more were coming
different perks.
Things change and each person must make their own decisions as to how much effort it takes, to make things work out for themselves and their families.
The booking is the same only now done online instead of waiting an hour+ to talk with someone at MS.
Guess what, more changes are coming.

So far... I don't see things as being too complicated. I didn't like FP+, and am happy for its demise. I haven't tried Genie+/LL to see if it is an improvement though so holding off on judgement there overall.

We have two trips planned for 2022, and overall it has only taken maybe an hour to get both settled? I think I spent the most time on airlines, but we generally fly using Credit Card points, so it's sometimes a juggle to get exactly what we want.

Our restaurant reservations for our February trip took about ten minutes. Bought park tickets which was about ten minutes. And park reservation took about two minutes. I think in all, flights and everything, we have spent a combined two hours planning the bulk of two trips. Can't make dining reservations for our November trip yet obviously.

If anything brings down our trip in Feb it will be the constant COVID concerns, especially for our group as we have been more cautious than most these past two years and going to WDW is like learning to swim on a Tuesday then going deep sea diving on wednesday, but hopefully Feb will be lighter in crowds. Also, COVID aside, I don't love huge crowds. I know crowds come with Disney, and I have been fine with what we have experienced, but if the Nov/Dec crowds persist it will drag down our magic feeling, or mine at least. :)

But, I didn't go to Disney much back in the early 2000s, nothing I am saying is me arguing that Disney magic doesn't feel different or whatever. But based only on current experience there is nothing about it that seems that bad. I couldn't get Space 220 reservations, but I don't think getting reservations 20 years ago for a brand new attraction/restaurant was a guarantee, and I didn't even check until about 11am because I forgot it was the first day we could reserve, haha.

Well, I am in the agree column- I don't like the fact that if I want to pay to ride a ride- I have to get up at 7am each day of the vacation if I choose to use the Genie+ service to make selections. Yes, I had to get up early to secure my fastpasses months before my vacation, but I was able to relax and enjoy while I was on vacation. I am also frustrated with the DVC website today as the dwarfs are telling me they "are working on it." Regardless of whether you prefer the old or new ways- the "nickle and diming" is happening and the website has frequent issues. The satisfaction rating for this frequent customer is way down.

21 plus years as an owner

We still love it and enjoy going as empty nesters, with friends and when we can get the kids/grandchildren together. Enjoy being in the bubble.

I am not a fan of planning too much and so far in advance. I like to go with the flow/with the weather/with the crowd I am/might be traveling with and change things up as I go if and when I can. Even when I do plan, I don't follow it to a T for the reasons listed.

I don't like walking around with my phone in my hands all day (this is what it's becoming) and not too tech savvy here. Takes me 3 - 5 times longer to do something compared to my kids.

I don't like paying extra for LL, etc. But we did pay for one - only because we have not been able to get on for the last three trips.
I don't like that I would need to be up by 7 am to try to get LL - bad enough I am paying for it, but need to be up - even though I am up. Just that one needs to.

Yes, getting expensive and taking away experiences more than anything - entertainment, etc. Charging what was once free, etc. Even though we can afford it, I wonder how families with two/three or more children can do this. But like everything else, some can and some can't and prices only go up and not down. Go with the flow. There have also been some positives :)

For many, many years whenever someone asked about DVC/our DVC timeshare - I tell them it has been and still is a positive experience for us. No regrets. I try to explain how it works and the enjoyment it has brought us. However, if someone is interested in purchasing DVC - I lead them to message forums, resale brokers, DVC website and don't make it sound all glory. I don't want to be responsible for their decision.

I hear what you are saying though. Try to think of all the positives before you go. I tell everyone to bring some extra patience with them, especially right now. Cutting Disney some slack too because of COVID but worry that many things won't be back as they were regardless. I expect things to go wrong or things are not always going to be smooth. Things happen and it can happen anywhere.

When and if you visit with your children/grandchildren - it's a whole different vacation :) - most of all, Enjoy every moment you have with them!!!!

We purchased our first contract in 2010. I was fine with Fast Pass and we just got back from a trip and we like Genie+ which is an unpopular opinion. We were good paying the extra to ride ROR and Remy. I've been going since 1973 and am old but luckily I'm fine with tech. I liked being able to mobile order a pick up food. I do have a "look on the bright side" personality so maybe that has something to do with it. We are actually planning on adding more points later this year. I'm very thankful that we purchased new APs when they reopened sales, it would have put a damper on our plans if we hadn't been able to get them and I worried they may stop selling them so I jumped on purchasing when they reopened last fall. Hopefully all those DVC members waiting will be able to buy soon.

I am surprised they did not re-open AP sales today (Monday)
DVC Member Accounting is closed today so maybe something will be announced tomorrow when reopens at 9a.m

Maybe I am wrong but the parks did not feel Holiday Week Busy this year… except for attractions going down repeatedly.
Of course I am accustomed to holidays that required a FP lane for the bathrooms.
What did other think of this recent week? Crazy Crowded Yes/No

Last edited:
I just had best trip 12/26-1/1/22 .
No problems with Genie I just took the grandkids , and their mom (super tech nerd) was home booking all our Genie for us.
I guess that is the solution “Genie”stays home and g-kids love having phones in their hands non- stop to get alerts from GeniusMom…
Try it It works haha

Last edited:
I just had best trip 12/26-1/1/22 .
No problems with Genie I just took the grandkids , and their mom (super tech nerd) was home booking all our Genie for us.
I guess that is the solution “Genie”stays home and g-kids love having phones in their hands non- stop to get alerts from GeniusMom…
Try it It works haha
Can I borrow your Genie Genius?

IMHO:
DVC is what it is.
Pre-paid vacation time.
The process has not really changed, this is from someone who has been a member since '93.
If you feel the other changes that have been made make the effort to go to much, then sell and enjoy your profits.
I have seen changes to:
points charts
MF going up
knew as soon as they started building a 2nd DVC resort that more were coming
different perks.
Things change and each person must make their own decisions as to how much effort it takes, to make things work out for themselves and their families.
The booking is the same only now done online instead of waiting an hour+ to talk with someone at MS.
Guess what, more changes are coming.

Agree 100% that DVC experience is not that much changed except it is harder to book outside of your home resort. We love DVC and have taken trips where we have just enjoyed the resorts and hardly went to the parks. The park experience is much different, however.

Agree 100% that DVC experience is not that much changed except it is harder to book outside of your home resort. We love DVC and have taken trips where we have just enjoyed the resorts and hardly went to the parks. The park experience is much different, however.

Really? I see 1) Less on-site perks 2) Harder to book reservations 3) Less DVC perks for 'new' owners' relative to those godfathered in.

I agree with you 100%. I love Disney so much, but so many of these changes are taking the joy and magic out of our Disney vacations.
On our last trip, the best memories were had hanging out at OKW. I hold on to that. Maybe future trips will be just get aways in the resort... no parks.
I don't think that's what Disney wants from our DVC ownership, but that is what they are leading us to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter