Thoughts from a 20 Year DVC Member

See this is an example of people getting crabby about COVID stuff and acting like it's a budget cut. I don't think this is a legitimate line of criticism, frankly.
You missed the point. There was no reason to increase the price, they already reduced their cost by not doing the buffet and not having characters, to increase prices was just greed, had nothing to do with Covid.

You missed the point. There was no reason to increase the price, they already reduced their cost by not doing the buffet and not having characters, to increase prices was just greed, had nothing to do with Covid.
Which location are you referring to?

I had dinner at Crystal Palace in December '21. The buffet was $39 per person without characters. A couple years prior to covid it was running $59 for dinner buffet with characters.

We did Chef mickey in March for $60 bucks, it use to be less than $50. After that we drop all other planed meal that were to have characters.

We did Chef mickey in March for $60 bucks, it use to be less than $50. After that we drop all other planed meal that were to have characters.
It was $60 pre-covid and (according to Disney) is currently $55.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/chef-mickeys/menus/dinner/

IIRC there were times when Disney published price ranges and may have had lower rates at certain times of the year. I guess it's possible that you stumbled into a lower season with $50 rate. (Note DVC should save 10%, both then and now.) But there are posts on Trip Advisor from 2019 and before citing $60 per adult.

We are probably in agreement on the value of Chef Mickey's at either $50 or 60, buffet or not. But I'm not sure that the price has increased.

Chef Mickey's has had characters back for at least a year and it's all-you-can-eat, just like it's always been.

The characters do not interact with the kids, the food was good, but long waits to get any refills and the price increase was uncalled for with the lack of normal service and interaction. I'm happy you enjoyed paying more for less.

The characters do not interact with the kids, the food was good, but long waits to get any refills and the price increase was uncalled for with the lack of normal service and interaction. I'm happy you enjoyed paying more for less.
They do now. It was brought back at the same time the meet and greets in the park changed back to hugs allowed.....

Wait what? Crystal Palace not having characters is a hangover from COVID that's waiting on staffing levels to get back up to normal. They haven't been eliminated.

The ONLY reason why Pooh isn't back must be for financial reasons. It's a random Floridian teen in a fat man suit. COVID isn't going to penetrate it.

The ONLY reason why Pooh isn't back must be for financial reasons. It's a random Floridian teen in a fat man suit. COVID isn't going to penetrate it.
It's not a COVID health-and-safety measure, it's a "COVID-nuked-the-entire-labor-market" measure. Disney is hiring every random Florida teen they can get their hands on, there are just too few of them willing to work.

It's not a COVID health-and-safety measure, it's a "COVID-nuked-the-entire-labor-market" measure. Disney is hiring every random Florida teen they can get their hands on, there are just too few of them willing to work.

There's always someone willing to work for the right amount of money. I was in Disney last week and CMs were EVERYWHERE. Disney has zero desire to add value when they do not have to. People are still flocking to Disney for, IMHO, a subpar product per value. Let's see how that flies in 2 years. Maybe I am wrong and suckers (me included) still dump money.

There's always someone willing to work for the right amount of money. I was in Disney last week and CMs were EVERYWHERE. Disney has zero desire to add value when they do not have to. People are still flocking to Disney for, IMHO, a subpar product per value. Let's see how that flies in 2 years. Maybe I am wrong and suckers (me included) still dump money.
Are you responsible for hiring decisions in your job? The labor shortage is real and it's a nightmare. It doesn't matter if you're hiring line cooks, bus drivers, housekeepers, software engineers, or accountants. Companies can't find the people they need.

Are you responsible for hiring decisions in your job? The labor shortage is real and it's a nightmare. It doesn't matter if you're hiring line cooks, bus drivers, housekeepers, software engineers, or accountants. Companies can't find the people they need.

Yes, I am. To be clear, I am not denying a shortage. I am simply saying that they CAN get Pooh IF they wanted to. But, they don't want to nor do they have to right now.

Often spend time wondering how much 'group think consumption' has actively changed the way I feel about many of the issues that have stemmed from Disney changes over the years. While I can start to read a negative thread and start to agree with some of the underlying assumptions it is build upon, I try so hard to always reflect on why I love Disney in the first place!

Is Disney still doing signing bonuses? Seems like part of the problem is not just getting people but retaining them for a meaningful period of time.

Is Disney still doing signing bonuses? Seems like part of the problem is not just getting people but retaining them for a meaningful period of time.
Not for every role but yes, signing bonuses and job fairs.

Immigration has also been close to frozen, with nearly closed borders (for COVID and other reasons) and a giant backlog of visa applications (for COVID and other reasons), so that hasn't helped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter