Thoughts from a 20 Year DVC Member

I still like going to WDW, but we have AP’s and I think if we didn’t I would be VERY unhappy. I like watching/listening the performers in Epcot, namely in Mexico, Canada and UK, the music ones.

We haven’t bought and LL or Genie +, and I really like Harmonious, and probably have seen it 5 times, and notice something new each time. I’ve been on Remy twice, and doubt I’m going to go on Guardians. I’ve not been on FoP since FPs were eliminated, maybe I’ll go again and wait, I really enjoyed that experience.

So, WDW, is still my favorite “ordinary “ vacation, I am not comparing it to the Grand Canyon or a European cruise. It costs more, but for our interests and energy level, we are in our 70’s, it’s a fine vacation.

For July 3rd, with friends we’re going to Hoop Dee Doo, and then to our theme park BLT villa to watch whatever fireworks they have at MK. We will deal with 4th of July crowds at Epcot from our BCV villa.

We have been members since 2003.

None of this is new. FP Disney with all the 180 day windows and such was also a planning nightmare. Disney has required hours of planning since I started going five years ago.

Disney has always required a certain degree of planning. My first visit was in 1988 and my first DVC stay was in 1997, and I bought in 2000. In April we stayed at Poly DVC and had a great resort only stay as family was coming off a cruise. Didn't worry about the parks. During pandemic we went to DHHIR.

I never felt as if planning was a nightmare - more so an exciting lead up to the actual vacation.

But, recent changes make me not want to plan anything, other than possibly going in and booking Epcot for every single day and then waiting for 2 to change parks if I feel like going elsewhere.

I could care less about Genie this or Lightning that. Won't buy it for me. But when younger family comes, I'll be drawn into the plans that they make and maybe I'll again get to go on a few rides I enjoy. Good thing I have a stash of nonexpiring tickets, haha...

The odd thing about it all, is NOW we have to make park reservations....but in a way, when we used FastPass +, and made Dining reservations, it was the same thing...we picked a park. I don't know why Disney couldn't have just kept FP+, charged for it...it was a working system which Genie+ isn't really, and simply collected the FP+ Data from our MDE accounts if they really needed to know what park everyone was going to. But then, you know Disney's Internet Tech isn't the best.

Last edited:
yeah, it's a huge deal for folks flying in from the world. HUge deal! WE have only used it once or twice, and now we live here but running folks to the airport is a pain when before we could have put them on the bus and waved goodbye.
What a weird thing to say...imagine attempting to shame grown adults you don't know because you don't like how they spend their money. Disney is pricing things in the way the market will bear. That's not anyone on this forums doing and trying to shame people for buying things they want is silly and immature.
You REALLY missed the point.

The combination of my love for being in the bubble and the sheer size of that bubble makes it impossible for me to replace Disney. That’s just me. A beach or island vacation is 2 or 3 days and I am done. Good or bad I have gotten used to the unrealistic amount of choice that DW offers. They got me for life.
After considering selling some of my BWV pts after 22 years following our Nov trip (due to hating the park reservation system, limited park hopping after 2, and the misery of Genie+), I instead got excited about the VGF2 resort rooms & pricing and impulsively purchased my first add-on ever in March. So guess I’m in the same camp as you 🤷🏻‍♀️😁

The odd thing about it all, is NOW we have to make park reservations....but in a way, when we used FastPass +, and made Dining reservations, it was the same thing...we picked a park. I don't know why Disney couldn't have just kept FP+, charged for it...it was a working system which Genie+ isn't really, and simply collected the FP+ Data from our MDE accounts if they really needed to know what park everyone was going to. But then, you know Disney's Internet Tech isn't the best.

Yes, we did pick a park. But if we picked attractions at a park that didn't start until 5pm, we could rope drop wherever we wished. And very often that's what was done by myself and others. You could rope drop an early entry choice, do several attractions, have breakfast and be in another park by 10 or 11am if you chose.

To be honest, the 2pm time frame will suit me just fine in most cases. I can still pick an early day at MK for instance and experience that 'fresh' feeling I get going up Mainstreet at opening. Even if it is Starbucks and not Main Street Bakery....living in the past a bit here. Even though I remember some great moments, I'm still going and still enjoying. I choose not to sulk about what I can't do, but to remember those happy moments while choosing my new moments.

And, my 2 (age 5 and 6) grandkids who've been to Disney at least 3 times and probably going on 10 visits to Hilton Head, will not know any other way to enjoy the parks than what is in their time frame. So it will only be ruined for them if we set out to do it. The new generations will live within their parameters and enjoy the ability to go based on my decision to buy DVC points back in 2000.

If anything, recent trends by Disney management have convinced us that "non park days" are simply not a worthwhile investment. We once envisioned ourselves visiting 4-6 weeks per year, taking things at a very leisurely pace. Now that goal has been cut back to more like 15 days per year, spread over two trips.

During those visits, we'll get the most out of our theme park time. I'm not saying we'll be at the park from open to close. We won't buy Genie+ every day. And during a trip that lasts 7-8 days, we probably will have a non-park day. But we won't be using DVC resorts as a home base while visiting Universal or other sites in Central Florida. We won't be spending a month-and-a-half at DVC with time earmarked for lounging around the pool, playing golf and browsing Disney Springs.

I like the parks, but I don't like standing in lines. It's a miserable experience, often made worse by guests who have little consideration for those around them. (When did it become acceptable to stream videos out loud and hold FaceTime conversations in a crowded room???) If I have to buy Genie+ to avoid that, fine. (To a certain extent.)

If that is Disney's end game, then I guess they win. If they want me to get in, spend as much money as possible, then free up a room for some other big spender, so be it. As long as my wife, kids and perhaps eventual grand kids believe the experience is worthwhile--and we can afford it--we'll do it.

But it just doesn't make sense to buy even more DVC points, dine at expensive Disney restaurants and generally isolate ourselves within the boundaries of Walt Disney World if we aren't focused on the parks. There are plenty of other great vacation destinations with pools, beaches, restaurants, golf courses...and more economical lodging.

Tim, I'm guessing (by your mention of grandkids yet to come) that you are an old timer who is quite a bit younger than a lot of old timers who bought DVC in the 90ties and early 2000's.

Speaking for a few of us, the parks have long ceased to be the main focus, but more 'something to do if we feel like it'.

The expensive restaurants have long since lost the allure. Yes, will still go on occasion but having a car is freedom to choose another place to go. Even a beach day, or in my case, left the room empty but paid for while I did a night or two in Tampa. That's what I felt like and enjoyed and didn't want to pack up my stuff. So, treated it like my home and took the carryon with a change of clothes.

And, if you bought not with the idea of what you could get back when you sell, those of us who bought early are still getting lodging at a reasonable price, even despite prices having risen. Reality is 'I' can't stay at a comparable property for what I pay in dues to stay at Boardwalk. Obviously not the case for those paying 4 times the buy in cost today - it's a big divide. But for those of us who were in it for the long haul early on, it's still a bargain, no matter how much we bemoan what was once the norm. Nothing stays the same. My almost 70 years have thought me that.

While I was staying at BW, Marriott gave me a targeted Instagram ad for $149 for Swolphin, and I gotta say it had my attention. It’s been a long time since I stayed there, but I thought it had actual deluxe beds/linens/bathrobes — and it has the deluxe perk of getting to plan at 7AM and the late night hours…

The housekeeping entering after two knocks at 8:45 AM and the sad linens were worse than I remember.

That's too bad, as when I used to stay at Swan, the linens were just fine, but it wasn't run by Marriott then. It even had a club level lounge and I enjoyed it often.

I do remember also staying at Dolphin and the rooms and beds were definitely a step down.

That's too bad, as when I used to stay at Swan, the linens were just fine, but it wasn't run by Marriott then. It even had a club level lounge and I enjoyed it often.

I do remember also staying at Dolphin and the rooms and beds were definitely a step down.
I was actually saying the opposite. DVC beds and linens aren’t to luxury standards IMO, and swan definitely was.

I was actually saying the opposite. DVC beds and linens aren’t to luxury standards IMO, and swan definitely was.
I actually find the "Swan/Dolphin" to a bit underwhelming and meh - a great location/option as a lower-priced alternative to be sure - but maybe too corporate convention-standard feel for me. Have not been to the Swan Reserve side of things.

We are in our late 60s and are not ready to give up Dvc anytime soon. Our last trip was in March at BWV and one of us rope dropped and did every single big ride. Another did a couple of afternoon lightning lane purchases to experience Remy and just enjoyed WS. Not thrilled with Genie+ or the disappearance of fast passes but love our one bedroom BWV. It would be hard to find accommodations like that and the variety of things to do anywhere else for the price. Granted it was difficult when annual passes disappeared but we grabbed ours last time they briefly went on sale. We might have sold if we could not get an AP.

I don't know why Disney couldn't have just kept FP+, charged for it...it was a working system which Genie+ isn't really, and simply collected the FP+ Data from our MDE accounts if they really needed to know what park everyone was going to
Easier said than done. MyMagic+ was developed with a big budget and outside consulting (Accenture, etc.) That's barely changed in years. Genie+ and the park pass reservation systems are just new front ends on top of that framework; they're not really different as far as the back end is concerned. Heck, park passes are just FP+ reservations for the entry tapstiles.

But it just doesn't make sense to buy even more DVC points, dine at expensive Disney restaurants and generally isolate ourselves within the boundaries of Walt Disney World if we aren't focused on the parks. There are plenty of other great vacation destinations with pools, beaches, restaurants, golf courses...and more economical lodging.
Have you actually priced out a comparable trip? Summer in Maryland where I live is a few days at the beach. This month 4 nights are $2300 for hotel rooms over a weekend. July is 2 nights for $1600. Food is extra. Beach chairs and umbrella are extra. Not a comparable trip unless you consider doing the 'rides' in Ocean City as theme park. It's a decent vacation but much 'less' than what's offered at Disney. edit - BUT, the weather is much better with a cool ocean breeze and less humidity on the shore (unlike back at my actual place of residence.)
You buying those passes and not seeing how they are taking advantage of us is making it harder for all of us. Just sayin. Glad you can waste money, most of us can't.

I wish we could freeze time and prices, but it's not going to happen.

See, this one doesn't bother me at all as we never used the service. Ever. Having said that, I can certainly understand why it would irritate folks that did use the service.

The one thing that just drives my whole family nuts was the elimination of the character breakfast buffet at the Crystal Palace. Now THAT is a travesty.
We used the service and it was convenient. In April my DD and my 2 grands used uber to get to the airport leaving the Poly at 4am. DD doesn't keep up with Disney and only realized ME was gone when I told her.
What a weird thing to say...imagine attempting to shame grown adults you don't know because you don't like how they spend their money. Disney is pricing things in the way the market will bear. That's not anyone on this forums doing and trying to shame people for buying things they want is silly and immature.
There's a point to the comment you quoted - if everybody stays home, doesn't buy, things might change.

My opinion is that even if everybody 'didn't buy' we would not like the outcome.
Interesting thread. One thing I think is always missing from these is a correlation to other travel experiences. I agree with a lot of what's been said, but much of it applies elsewhere as well. With DVC we still get a very nice prepaid villa at a deluxe resort. With BCV we get a very nice pool area as well with some decent food options (not the greatest, I admit; cape may cafe and beaches & cream are both a sore excuse for what they once were.) Having bought in years ago makes us able to afford this where had we not, we'd be paying $600/night for a regular room. Now, compare that to hotels off property. Have you seen what it costs for something comparable? Not as much difference as you probably think. Check out other locations as well -- resort fees, parking fees, etc. are becoming the norm these days, and things book up a lot faster, too. Many of the hotels even all the way out on Palm Pkwy often cost way over $200/night for the most basic amenities and not always the best upkeep or experience (to put it mildly; I have some stories about a couple of those places... :rolleyes: )

As I said, I agree with a lot of the sentiment and have shared many of my gripes here on these forums. But this is the nature of the beast nowadays, and it's important to compare to other vacation options. You're likely to realize it's not as bad as you thought :).
I agree.

Also, those hotels outside the gates are riding the wave and pricing as high as they can get. It was irksome to me to see parking fees at strip mall area hotels but I guess they can get it or they wouldn't charge it. Since I drive I just reworked my plans to not use those options.
Sorry, and with no disrespect, but this is absurd.
I can't remember what this was so I'll go back and look later.

*Back with my thought:

I think it's called 'living in the past'. I fall into that often as I age. But, what keeps me going is to make an effort to see things with new eyes. Otherwise I'll get left behind because I don't want to be the proverbial old timer who complains about everything, that everyone just wants to humor a bit and then get to heck away from.
Stayed at OKW, first time, cash stay really like the resort. Parks were crowded, tried Genie+ didn't like it. It seems to me they just added this as a way to raise prices while not actually raising ticket prices.
When I read this I had the thought that it's actually good as they could have rolled it into ticket prices. Instead it's an option.
DVC since 2006 and in the past I simply adjusted to whatever WDW does. However, they have gone beyond the norm with the recent cost increases (e.g.: eliminating ME - you could have just charged maybe $10 the first year and increased periodically but it seems there was more than just charging behind the decision) park restrictions, AP restrictions and we have no idea when APs will come back, reduction in housecleaning services (maybe because they cannot find people to work).

So we have enough Disney VISA points to pay for all our expenses for two trips a year, don't use Genie+, don't get up at 7 - hey I'm on vacation - and make sandwiches for a few days for lunch (DWs idea not mine).

I bought DVC to RELAX and stay at a upscale resort. Total yearly cost is airplane tickets, MEARS transport, annual pass and maintenance fee. I can live with that for now.
I also can live with most of the changes. But at the same time, I've enjoyed all parts of WDW as I came along in the last 35 or so years, so I'm not doing a first timers trip.

Last edited:
And, if you bought not with the idea of what you could get back when you sell, those of us who bought early are still getting lodging at a reasonable price, even despite prices having risen. Reality is 'I' can't stay at a comparable property for what I pay in dues to stay at Boardwalk. Obviously not the case for those paying 4 times the buy in cost today - it's a big divide.
To quote my original post: "it just doesn't make sense to buy even more DVC points, dine at expensive Disney restaurants and generally isolate ourselves within the boundaries of Walt Disney World if we aren't focused on the parks."

I have some cheaper points myself, but those sub-$80 DVC purchase rates for 45+ year contracts aren't coming back. Nor are the $4 per point annual dues. If people had the foresight to buy significant DVC points when prices were low...great! Use them however you wish. My comments specifically addressed the idea of buying even more points at today's prices.

Have you actually priced out a comparable trip? Summer in Maryland where I live is a few days at the beach. This month 4 nights are $2300 for hotel rooms over a weekend. July is 2 nights for $1600. Food is extra. Beach chairs and umbrella are extra. Not a comparable trip unless you consider doing the 'rides' in Ocean City as theme park. It's a decent vacation but much 'less' than what's offered at Disney. edit - BUT, the weather is much better with a cool ocean breeze and less humidity on the shore (unlike back at my actual place of residence.)

I have priced-out and taken non-Disney vacations many times. I stand by my position that if you're not actively interested in the Disney theme parks, there are many locations which provide equal or better accommodations and amenities for less cost than a Disney resort.

I have priced-out and taken non-Disney vacations many times. I stand by my position that if you're not actively interested in the Disney theme parks, there are many locations which provide equal or better accommodations and amenities for less cost than a Disney resort.
Well, yeah...if you are not actively interested in Disney......

But the people on here ARE interested in Disney.

Your position is absolutely valid for you. And there are probably lots of people who are of a like mind to you. That doesn't invalidate other's thoughts and feelings. And choices.

Park reservations are ridiculous, hopping only after 2 and only if you've actually tapped in at first park sucks
This, for me was very frustrating. I've paid extra to park hop since they stopped including it in the ticket price. It isn't an inexpensive add on, and the controlling way it is administered makes it much less value.

That said, I'm a 15 year member of DVC and have no issues with my membership. I'm amazed that I can stay in these wonderful resorts that I would never have paid rack rates for, I just didn't have that kind of money. I didn't buy for the perks. I bought because I loved going to Disney and for the locations of the DVC resorts. I loved Disney because I felt their customer service was exemplary. I always felt the changes (even those I was disappointed in) were easy enough to get used to, and understand. I'm having more trouble with the recent changes which, although pandemic related in the beginning, I think are here to stay. JMO

I just gave my November studio reservation to my son (who's all grown up now :sad2: ) to go with a friend. It was booked with banked points, so cancelling wasn't an option.
I'll bank my current points, and wait until my 2023 UY and see how things have worked out.

*Back with my thought:

I think it's called 'living in the past'. I fall into that often as I age. But, what keeps me going is to make an effort to see things with new eyes. Otherwise I'll get left behind because I don't want to be the proverbial old timer who complains about everything, that everyone just wants to humor a bit and then get to heck away from.
I was looking forward to that aspect as the best part of being older, and I have already started playing that role on the more unpopular choices being presented to me :)

Your position is absolutely valid for you. And there are probably lots of people who are of a like mind to you. That doesn't invalidate other's thoughts and feelings. And choices.
I never claimed to speak for anyone other than myself. My original post was intentionally littered with the pronouns "I", "we" and "us". If you have enough points to spend weeks at Disney resorts and choose to forego the parks, by all means do so. *I* cannot justify acquiring additional points at today's prices (either resale or direct) to do that.

I'm not going to forego the parks. I'm from out of state and it's still a regular getaway I can enjoy without having to drive a car even once. Just costs more than it used to, but what doesn't.

I went on a cruise in April, not DCL, first one since Covid. used to go to Europe quite a lot too, now that I have to Covid test to get back in the States and I have a job I need to get to, I've got only two trips to London. I will be fine if I get stuck there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter