Those who live in Baltimore...

I have lived in large metropolises, medium cities, and small towns. I lived in Philadelphia, which has over twice the amount of people as Baltimore. The specific issue I responded to is not something I have ever experienced in any of the places I lived, which is why I responded to it.

I feel like I struck a nerve with you and I apologize for that if I did.

You never ran into squeegee people or panhandling in Philadelphia? That doesn't match my experience.
That said, it definitely sounds like you are looking for reasons to be afraid/not like Baltimore. Maybe you don't like the job offer, maybe there are family issues at play. But focusing on one negative experience of one random internet poster compared to the many other positive/normal experiences suggests that you're not really interested in hearing the good things. Since so much of life is about attitude and perspective, it's probably not going to be a good experience if you do move to Baltimore.
Like Philadelphia, Baltimore has a ton of suburbs where you can live to avoid the panhandling if you want.

That said, it definitely sounds like you are looking for reasons to be afraid/not like Baltimore.
I actually think Baltimore as a whole sounds like an awesome city and the job is perfect for me. But I'm also not naive. I'm single and childless, and I usually live alone. I have to know the possible dangers in any city I move to.

I never had issues in Philadelphia; I walked at night and did not live in the safest area of town. Yes there were dangers there, but never as extreme as the ones I've heard.

Yes, it's the one I focus on because most of the stories I've heard are about this issue, and in good areas too. So sorry?

And there's a big difference between visiting and actually living there. For example, people think Charleston, SC is so beautiful, if you're a visitor. But as a past resident, it's scary a lot of the time.
If it eases your mind, my encounters with the window washers were infrequent and it was never a problem to get them to go away by telling them I didn’t have any money. Nor were the panhandlers/homeless any more aggressive or prevalent than in any other large city. To be honest, the only ones who were ever persistent to the point of being obnoxious were the nicely dressed deaf people who roamed the Inner Harbor trying to exchange cards of positive affirmations for money. It’s been years since I encountered that though, so maybe they don’t even do it anymore.

I’m surprised to hear you describe Charlotte as “scary.” That city wouldn’t even hit my radar as a place to be concerned about. Like someone mentioned earlier, perception plays a big role in how we view danger and if you consider the crime rate in Charlotte to be particularly concerning, then I think bigger cities like Baltimore and DC might not be a good fit for you.

But the best advice might be to visit Baltimore yourself to get a feel for the city and see what you think. :thumbsup2

Oops, you’re right. That’s not a city I would be worried about either. :)
Truthfully, visitors aren't the ones who have to worry. It's the residents. Which is the point I was trying to make. If I was visiting Baltimore, I wouldn't be concerned at all. But living there is a whole separate thing.

Once you leave the historic and tourist areas of Charleston, SC, there are plenty of sketchy areas. Just like in any other place.

We felt the same about Savannah GA.
We live between Atlantic City NJ and Camden NJ and we wouldn’t go to either one unless we absolutely had to. Gentrification can’t come too soon for either of those armpits.

Truthfully, visitors aren't the ones who have to worry. It's the residents. Which is the point I was trying to make. If I was visiting Baltimore, I wouldn't be concerned at all. But living there is a whole separate thing.
I guess I see it like this: Visitors don’t have to worry, beyond basic city street smarts, because they’re not going to be going into the really rough areas. Residents don’t have to worry because they’ll know which areas to avoid. And if one is considering moving there, they will have done the research to know which areas are desirable to live in and which aren’t. (Hint: If your realtor is showing you boarded up crack houses, you should find a new realtor. :laughing:) So really, unless you’re one of the people with the misfortune to have been born into the uber-dangerous parts of the city, there’s no reason to be exceptionally concerned about safety. The areas you’ll be frequenting will be about as safe — or unsafe, depending on how you look at it — as any other big city in this country.

I used to work with the max security prison population & when I realized how many ppl were serial killers & serial rapists, as a woman, I am careful no matter how safe I think the area is. When I was in college, there was a serial killer preying on college co-Ed’s. We were all terrified. He was eventually caught, but it was eye-opening. I think that awareness helps living in an urban area. I am not paranoid, but I am ALWAYS paying attention.
Serial killers and rapists also live in the suburbs and the middle of nowhere. I’m always trying to convince my sister to lock her doors but she thinks only cities have thieves and rapists.

Serial killers and rapists also live in the suburbs and the middle of nowhere.
That’s my point. I grew up in NOLA which at the time was considered far more dangerous than Baton Rouge. But, I was in greater danger when I lived in BR b/c there was a serial killer who had killed a girl in the actual neighborhood where I was living.

That’s my point. I grew up in NOLA which at the time was considered far more dangerous than Baton Rouge. But, I was in greater danger when I lived in BR b/c there was a serial killer who had killed a girl in the actual neighborhood where I was living.

I also grew up in a very small town with two notorious serial child killers and that was the 70’s. Still my sister proudly keeps her doors unlocked all night. 😏

I also grew up in a very small town with two notorious serial child killers and that was the 70’s. Still my sister proudly keeps her doors unlocked all night. 😏
That was what I was saying too b/c I grew up here I was used to doors being locked & paying attention. The girl who was killed in our neighborhood had her door unlocked 😔.

That was what I was saying too b/c I grew up here I was used to doors being locked & paying attention. The girl who was killed in our neighborhood had her door unlocked 😔.

Ugh I don’t understand that level of personal trust in their surroundings. My dh puts the garbage out and I happen to walk by and see the door unlocked. I automatically lock him out 😂.

Ugh I don’t understand that level of personal trust in their surroundings. My dh puts the garbage out and I happen to walk by and see the door unlocked. I automatically lock him out 😂.
In my neighborhood it's astounding how many people leave their garage doors open all the time. It's technically against HOA rules but one of those rules without enforcement kind of thing.

Anyways my nextdoor neighbor has his open more than closed. The other nextdoor neighbor keeps it closed at least a bit more than the other. We on the other hand only have the door open when doing yard work or when doing our Christmas lights. I still remember the night when one of our nextdoor neighbors knocked on our door to let us know we had left the garage door opened because they know it's rare for us to do that and wouldn't be right at 9pm at night lol. We def. appreciate it though.

Don't start with me. :rolleyes1 We would have easily kept the Colts. You got to keep the Browns name. We lost everything.

just a side note, Art (Beelzebub ) Modell, when it was announced about his secrete plane on secrete runways as he moved the team to Baltimore, told Cleveland "my colors, my history, my team" it wasnt until the courts ruled me must play in Cleveland for 3 more years to honor the lease, did he give all that up, but the lie he told after like he was being nice is still believed my the good people of Baltimore today

Were you at the game in support of the opposing team, and if so, was it obvious (were you wearing the other teams merchandise, for example)? I'm sorry you were frightened but sporting events are often contentious environments and fans can really get carried away, regardless of the location.
It had nothing to do with our team- everyone wanted money and were very aggressive about it.

We felt the same about Savannah GA.
We live between Atlantic City NJ and Camden NJ and we wouldn’t go to either one unless we absolutely had to. Gentrification can’t come too soon for either of those armpits.

Well, I don't usually admit this, but I was born at Cooper Hospital in Camden! My folks were living in Cinnaminson at the time. To this day (I'm in my 40's) my father tells me not to go to Camden! My great grandparents were immigrants and many of them lived in Camden in the 20's, 30's & 40's.

I'll give my opinion. We moved from NYC to Maryland (north of Baltimore) approx. 2005. I worked in the heart of downtown Baltimore - within walking distance to the inner harbor and camden yards. I hated it. I just didn't feel safe. Once evening rush hour was over the area really emptied out (which was very different than working in Manhattan). When we worked late our office made us (well suggested) get our car from the garage a few blocks away and to try to park on the streets as close to the office as possible. My husband has always worked away from the city (except one job near Fells Point). When he switches jobs he always looks outside of Baltimore City. I do feel crime is pretty bad. It for sure has gotten worse. I hardly know anyone where I live that goes to Baltimore City with the exception of going to Baseball and Football games. We go and feel pretty good about it due to the throngs of sports fans going and coming with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!