This is Us- Season four

In the end of life scene, Rebecca lives with Kevin. Randall seems uneasy there. What on earth could have brought Rebecca and Randall's relationship from so close to so distant?

Kevin and Kate like to play the we're the real children of Jack and Rebecca at time too so I'm sure that will be at play.
I'm afraid something like this will come into play. I sure hope not, after all they have been through as siblings.

In the end of life scene, Rebecca lives with Kevin. Randall seems uneasy there. What on earth could have brought Rebecca and Randall's relationship from so close to so distant?
My guess is Randall keeps her memory issues a secret for too long and then wants to put her in memory care for her safety and security, but the other two are blindsided and they have a blowout fight.

My guess is Randall keeps her memory issues a secret for too long and then wants to put her in memory care for her safety and security, but the other two are blindsided and they have a blowout fight.

Yes I think something similar.

Also I know the whole nine month thing is supposed to make us believe the pregnant fiancee is Cassidy. But, nope, no way.
Maybe, but I don't know. It's not his fault they didn't notice. I think it would be small of them to hold it against Randall, but then again that's what they do. They may pull the we're the biological kids thing on him in a moment of anger.

Kate signed her name Kate Pearson on the police report , she isn’t with Toby in 9 months? Kevin not talking to Randal and he has a baby on the way. Lots happen by their 40th birthday.
Well since they zoomed in on it my guess is that it is important that it said Pearson. I could be wrong.
I missed what the date was on the police report. I only saw the 20. What was it?

Dang. I remember reading somewhere that this season was going to be taking a darker turn... looks like we're there. :( I hate to think of Randall being estranged from the rest of the family. Makes me really sad after all the time spent showing how he and Kevin weren't close growing up but were growing closer over the past few years. And he and Rebecca have always been the closest. And Kate and Toby... dang again.

So my speculation, with the simple fact that they allowed Rebecca to wander around on their birthday alone, Randall probably wanted to put Rebecca somewhere and the other two didn't. Kevin and Kate like to play the we're the real children of Jack and Rebecca at time too so I'm sure that will be at play.

It was a great episode otherwise. I loved them showing that Nicky wasn't erased not at all. Kate and Toby are threading on some thin ice with their marriage both complaining to others not communicating to each other and take each other out of context. I loved that Kevin helped Tess come out. I loved that they had younger William play a young look alike.
Very much so...they're just in such different places in their lives. Plus, Toby seems a little obsessive with his whole social media/pictures stuff... he's really seeming to need A LOT of attention from others. Really I think he seems a little obsessive with all of it; flying across the country with a cooler of your "diet" food on Thanksgiving no less, the constant need to talk about it etc. He may be becoming a lik dependent on the chase of it all etc. The pendulum can definitely swing both ways too far on food/exercise etc. It's thay obsessive nature; I wonder if he's just changed the focus...I see the same extreme behavior just the other way.

Feel for Kate. Don't always love her but Toby has always needed to be seen, so to speak. Not a lot of space for *Attention Toby time* with a newborn, and a newborn who is blind. Heck he could never deal with her relationship with her brothers; Toby is simply not emotionally strong in that area. I also thought it was ridiculous for Kate to tell him after the fact about the first feeding; lies are sometimes the kind choice.

And feel free to hate me but unless you have an allergy, disease (or vegan/vegetarian) can one just not eat the damn food from the host/hostess for one damn day - a holiday?! Sorry I am probably alone but I just find it so self-centred. It is one day! Don't mind me, sometimes I dream of moving abroad just to get away from North America's absolute obsession with dissecting food!

Moving on.....

Toby often calls Kate, Kate Pearson. Doesn't mean she kept her name but hmmm.

Randall and Rebecca. Being black is of course not a monolith but it is very uncommon for black families to put their parents in a home (and yes Randall was brought up in unique circumstances). Who knows but I am going more with they were beyond hurt that Randall took charge on his own and didn't involve them from the start. A la let them know what he suspected. And what Rebecca came to him with on that Thanksgiving. I get the hurt if that's the case but honestly sometimes it is such drama to involve all in the beginning stages, and painful. Can be much calmer to take control on your own. They are both, Kate and Kevin, capable of seeing what Randall picked up on. And I wonder if Randall went solo to create a less vulnerable turn for Rebecca. I also wondered if Rebecca has forgotten Randall already, but that is a very extreme thought from me and certainly doesn't explain Kevin/Randall. And that in isolation would never ever keep Randall away, unless he perceived it was a loving choice for Rebecca (agitation). EDIT: Closed my phone last night and realized that this made little sense, as Rebecca remembered William in that scene.

Heck fighting with Kevin would never keep Randall from his mother.

I also did not see the strain at Kevin's house in the future scene. And remember it was Randall who called Toby. Shows a more united front in my mind, going into the future.

People often think of memory as the first tie-in. But personality changes are a very strong early symptom - agitation and irrational thought processes among other changes.

Nicky and Jack, so many emotions. Lovely to see their bond. Painful to see their bond. Sigh. And a reminder not to be so damn rigid and stubborn in life.

Who wanted to barge into the bedroom at the cabin to see if Sophie was feeling nauseous? Smiling.
But then again would he use fiance for her? I guess?!? Hmmm. So cruel This Is Us writers for that answer to be one wall away!

Oh man felt for Beth. And then ached for Deja's, :Why coudn't she have been like this for me?". My stomach dropped. Both of those women are beyond brilliant. Remember seasons back when I hated Deja leaving and thought she would somehow find her way back to Randall and Beth - yay for that! I so love her.

And while we are here --
To anyone that has suffered as a daughter in this same kind of situation I am so very sorry. It just breaks my heart to witness it, to see it played out on screen. Reminds me of a Sarah MacLachlan lyric ---- The wound that would not heal. It's your mother, such deep and powerful emotions.

And speaking of hearts, I am personally very happy that that was the last episode. I have been very close to bowing out. My mother passed too recently to watch this unfold, after years of dementia. These last two episodes have made me feel sick to my stomach. I have never minded television bringing out emotions. But feeling physically sick is time to draw the line.

A break is welcome.

Last edited:
It was great, but hard to watch. I guess Rebecca declines dramatically in nine months.

I feel like Kevin and Kate are angry with Randall for keeping the secret. I think they must have some sort of blow out fight over it. Were they at the cabin in the woods for the birthday?

Man I just love Nicky. The actor that portrays "young adult" Nicky is fantastic. Once again, the casting is stellar. All three Nicky's are amazing. I just love the bond with Kevin and Nicky. I loved when Nicky realized that he was NOT forgotten and Jack did keep him alive by telling the story about the song that was special between him and Nicky. Then Nicky turned it around and started a tradition.

I have always loved the Deja storyline. The young lady who plays Deja knocks it out of the park in every scene she is in. Sometimes it's a long dialog and sometimes it's just a look on her face, but she is amazing.

Toby is clearly drifting from Kate. He is all wrapped up in his cross fit group, and it is becoming obsessive.

Even though I don't post here often, I appreciate the thread to answer my questions. Thanks for giving me the date on the police report.
I also thought it was ridiculous for Kate to tell him after the fact about the first feeding; lies are sometimes the kind choice.
I totally agree with this. It was almost like Kate wanted to exclude Toby from little Jack's life.

I also thought it was ridiculous for Kate to tell him after the fact about the first feeding

Same here - that didn't make any sense to me. I think they just had to do it to drive the plot of the storyline.

I get the hurt if that's the case but honestly sometimes it is such drama to involve all in the beginning stages, and painful.

Plus Rebecca initially was trying to hide it from everyone and became very upset when Randall guessed what was going on. Then she only told him privately that she wanted to see a doctor. If I were in Randall's shoes I wouldn't share it with everyone right away either out of respect for her wishes and to wait until the doctors could make a diagnosis.

Who wanted to barge into the bedroom at the cabin to see if Sophie was feeling nauseous?

:wave2:

I think Kevin is with Sophie. He only had 9 months between telling Randall he wanted to settle down and the pregnancy. I am thinking it was someone he knew vs. someone he had to go meet. I remember in the scene a while back when he dated Sophie again he said something like, "It's you Sophie, it's always been you." But as we know, the writers could take us in another direction.

Do we know that Toby was talking to a woman? Wasn't it just his crossfit group chat? He could have been talking to anyone. I don't think there's going to be an affair, I think they're just going to drift apart. He's changed a lot in a short amount of time, and she has closed in on herself. They're coping with the baby's problems in drastically different ways, and independently of each other. Not a good recipe.

Maybe Kate and Kevin are in denial about Rebecca? Maybe Randall is the only one taking it seriously in the beginning and it causes a rift? Could explain why they let her leave on her own in the future scene. Could even explain why Miguel isn't in the further future scene, could be that he was in denial and couldn't come to terms or handle it and left? Of course he may just be in another room or out getting something for that one too. Or it could all be misdirection and the split from Randall will be over something else...maybe Tess comes to Kevin instead of Randall about something?

It was a great episode. I hate that we have to wait for the next one. But i'm also glad, I think the rest of this season is going to be unbearably hard to watch, as it will presumably cover the 9 months in between now and the flash forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter