This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

I dont want it to crash and i don't think anyone is wishing that, but it's inevitable.

All I'm saying is that for the industry disney is in, they are going to get nailed really hard. I'll quote Mark Cuban's comment in regards to the NFL, i think honestly it kind of fits here.
I don’t see that. They already run commercials. They can just go back to the “wow, Disney is more affordable than we thought” type commercials. If ppl had been taking a break b/c of cost, they’ll probably be eager to go back.

The economy is awesome, the parks are full, the resorts are full but they continue to reduce park hours? How can they continue to justify this? More people + less hours = extremely crowded parks. They have created the perfect model for upcharge events. Genius! If we didn’t have $3,000 in Disney gift card I would cancel our August trip and go to Hawaii.

The EMH changes don’t start until October

I've (and many others) have been predicting this for years.

It's simple .. why would they give away for free what people are willing to pay for? Plus . .with EMM they don't even have to run all the rides.

EMH was created to pull people to the hotels during some economic downtimes. It worked.

But now, demand is there without EMH and it already has practically been eliminated. On my trip in March there were more paid events than EMHs. Because some parks only offer one EMH a week .. it was impossible to line up our schedule to even use them. A resort perk that is just wasted.

Plus, I would gather that only the minority (us repeat guests here) really opt for on-site because of EMH. Most probably just find out about it when they arrive and use it if it lines up with their schedule. I that of all the reasons to stay on-site .. EMH is probably last -- simply because it's a perk we can't (or choose) to use because of schedules or touring with young children.

My hope is that they replace EMH with some sort of FP+ perk (especially if they start charging for them) to encourage onsite stays. As of now .. with neighbor hotels getting perks, parking fees and less and less EMH -- staying on Disney property makes less and less sense. Though . .the service and immersion is STILL a big perk.

The economy is awesome, the parks are full, the resorts are full but they continue to reduce park hours? How can they continue to justify this? More people + less hours = extremely crowded parks. They have created the perfect model for upcharge events. Genius! If we didn’t have $3,000 in Disney gift card I would cancel our August trip and go to Hawaii.

Biggest mistake we made when planning our trip last year was purchasing the AP. I regretted it almost the day i bought it.

we would be somewhere else on vacation this year rather than disney.

I don’t see that. They already run commercials. They can just go back to the “wow, Disney is more affordable than we thought” type commercials. If ppl had been taking a break b/c of cost, they’ll probably be eager to go back.

Tourism is one of the first things that gets hurt when the economy takes a downturn. Disney isn't immune to that, they certainly weren't in 2008.

Pretty soon they will sell tickets for every 2 hours of the day. Since I’ve heard of these extra ticketed “events” that’s all I’ve thought of. I mean they have daily rates for tickets and if there happens to be a hard ticket event you get kicked out early. It seems weird and so money hungry.

You're being snide of course, but yeah, I actually could see WDW (or MK at least) move to multiple tickets per day. At a push, altough the hours don't line up great, they could probably force three tickets into summer days. It's be easy to market: the rise-and-shone ticket is perfect for early risers and people looking to escape the afternoon heat and crowds -- ticket valid 8am - 3pm, must leave park by 4pm; All-day(TM) for guests who want it all -- ticket valid between 11am - 8pm must leave park after night time show; adventurer's ticket -- 3pm-11pm.

Guests who stay on property can bundle the morning and evening tickets into a super ticket for an exciting reduced rate.

Yes. We go to MK PM EMH every trip (especially if it goes to midnight or later).
We also are among those who go to the parks that day to do EMH and have great late night memories. We haven't been, however, in quite a few years, and since they have been devalued with decreased hours and increased volume. This is all deliberate, IMO. Add more hotels, decrease hours, make FP harder to get, in short make people think they "have" to pay more to get the same experience they used to get for free. And for those that say that these upcharges don't impact regular guests, that is rubbish and the proof is in the pudding. Don't be surprised if they start tiering those extras as well, increasing volume, etc., once they have eliminated EMH. The price will creep up and people will justify it by saying they "have" to pay more to get the night or early AM low-crowd experience. Disney is reaping the rewards, says build it and they will come, and why not, they are coming in droves and practically begging to pay MORE! Jump, and too many people say how high, it is worth it, and Disney keeps moving that bar higher and higher. It has been said before, but be careful what you wish for!

They’ve only reduce park hours by 1 hour in October, I mean since 2015. Lots of threads discussing how many hours have been cute since 2015.

I was specifically referring to your comment about perhaps canceling your August trip, as though this was the final nail in the proverbial coffin.

You're being snide of course, but yeah, I actually could see WDW (or MK at least) move to multiple tickets per day. At a push, altough the hours don't line up great, they could probably force three tickets into summer days. It's be easy to market: the rise-and-shone ticket is perfect for early risers and people looking to escape the afternoon heat and crowds -- ticket valid 8am - 3pm, must leave park by 4pm; All-day(TM) for guests who want it all -- ticket valid between 11am - 8pm must leave park after night time show; adventurer's ticket -- 3pm-11pm.

Guests who stay on property can bundle the morning and evening tickets into a super ticket for an exciting reduced rate.
The practically do that at MK when there is an evening party MORE days of the week than not.

But yes .. I could see them doing that too as a form of crowd control. I would guess that a LOT of guests only spend 6-8 hours max in the parks anyway .. why not get those "crazy" people who stay 12+ hours to pay more!

Please, do not give them any ideas! That idea is horrifying (and yet so possible).

Biggest mistake we made when planning our trip last year was purchasing the AP. I regretted it almost the day i bought it.

aww . .don't regret it. You've "saved" money by getting the AP. We bought one this year .. and are crazily going 3 times (twice already once more in fall). When all you need to worry about on the latter trips is the cost of hotel and food .. it is a pretty cheap vacation (relatively).

Now .. trips AFTER the AP is out though will have to be fewer and farther between with the rise of costs and the rise of crowds and the increased hard-ticket events (that cut into the time of those who don't get those events).

Just spitballing here..
If you start offering way more hotels access to the 60 day fastpass perk making them harder to get for everyone
Star Wars opens and increases crowd levels exponentially
EMH hours are reduced/ removed making it harder to find any time that is manageable

Seems like a nice set up for introducing paid fast passes doesn’t it ?
And also a set up for paid EMH, i.e. DAH. Day crowds are even more crowded and you want to enjoy a less-crowded after-dark park? Pay for it and it's yours!

The practically do that at MK when there is an evening party MORE days of the week than not.

Yeah, my thinking was that they could quit with the being coy about it.

But yes .. I could see them doing that too as a form of crowd control. I would guess that a LOT of guests only spend 6-8 hours max in the parks anyway .. why not get those "crazy" people who stay 12+ hours to pay more!

That was what I was thinking. Obviously I have no numbers, but if Disney's numbers tell them that most guests do under 9 hours, they can risk that the kvetching will diminish after a season, and still pitch it as a "due to guest demand" change. It allows them to absolutely predict crowd levels through-out the day, and forces guests to spread themselves out. Also more people will be heading over to Epcot to buy over priced drinks in the evening.

Oooh, we need a catchy phrase for that like Rumors of Light. Mickey's Runaway off the Rails?

I'm sure people wouldn't be happy about that but I don't think that's going to cause anyone to be up in arms.
I'm so happy Rumors of Light still exists! I had a different account back then! lol
Anyway back to the topic and my lurking these rumor boards.

I've (and many others) have been predicting this for years.

It's simple .. why would they give away for free what people are willing to pay for? Plus . .with EMM they don't even have to run all the rides.

This is the kind of stuff that really P's me off about Disney, and many people on these boards.

I and many others predicted this when they started announcing the hard ticket after hours events (not EMHs or parties), and we were basically told to shut up because EMHs were still available (although they had already been greatly reduced). But all the juice drinkers insisted that Disney wouldn't do that, EMHs will still be there (I'm sure they'll say, well there are still MORNING EMHs, stop complaining, as if thats the same thing). Same thing they said when FP+ was introduced and we told people eventually regular FP would be gone completely, and that (already even then) we foresaw them eventually charging for these new electronic FPs. But nooooo, we were told, Disney would never do that, shut up, legacy FP was still available.

And then when they DO the crap, people said they would NEVER do, instead we hear "well, Disney is a business, they SHOULD do this to make more money". Parking Fees, Hard Ticket events, Delivery Fees, Paid for FPs.

And then, people will try to say "Well, if you don't like it, just don't do it, it doesn't effect you" - except it DOES. All these things effect everyone. It means there are fewer hours you have access to in the park with your regular ticket price, which means the value of that ticket is going down, despite the price going up. It means what you used to use to justify the higher price of disney rooms, is diminished because now you ARE paying extra for parking, you have less EMHs, and non-disney hotels have 60 day FP booking. It means that for every person who pays for an FP, or gets a tour, they are taking up ride Capacity (which doesn't change) from someone who bought a regular ticket. Every time a person rides a ride on a tour or a paid FP, that's one less ride available to everyone else, the pool is finite. All of these extras come at the cost of everyone else, and prices have increased at that.

Ugh ---- end rant ? I think I even stayed within the rules.

Last edited:

I was going to buy an AP, I was hoarding $500 in DGC to buy an AP instead of paying off our resort stay. I’m glad I didn’t. I have a work conference in June 2020, we were going to go back but now I’m thinking USO sounds like a better option.

I was specifically referring to your comment about perhaps canceling your August trip, as though this was the final nail in the proverbial coffin.
It doesn’t affect me in August but it would if we decided to return, but that’s looking less and less likely every week with all the resent changes.

I’m upset if this happens but Disney is still a good value. I love going to the Park late at night but hanging out at Disney Springs is nice. I guess we will adjust.

I’m upset if this happens but Disney is still a good value. I love going to the Park late at night but hanging out at Disney Springs is nice. I guess we will adjust.
disney being a good value is honestly pretty debatable now. I used to agree with that.

There are 4 of us, we drive from NC to WDW, stay for a week with the dining plan, and stay at a value.

I've done the math, we fan fly out west and do other things for the same cost or cheaper as a driving to Orlando.

Are we doing theme parks all day every day if we do that? Nope, but we're doing other things that are just as fun. The "value" part of disney is long gone in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!