This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

I guess I don’t see the difference as that bad. You have paid an extra $154/yr for I’m assuming 2 ppl. Those perks are less & affect some more than others. We don’t park onsite so not an issue for us. As far as the hours, right now it doesn’t bother me b/c we have a young DS. But, even before that we had been able to get everything we wanted to get done. So I don’t look at hours as much as experiences & our experiences has not been affected although I understand some ppl’s has. Also, for us, like I said, we pay more now but spend more on upgrades to resorts & dining that we couldn’t afford then. So actually our experiences are more enjoyable.
To each their own, for me it’s a massive difference.

The notion that evening EMH are going away permanently is still only a rumor.

Here's why I see the fact it is gone in October is the equivalent for forever. With all the early closings, party season is the time of the year where you need evening magic hours at MK the most. Whether Disney wants to admit it or not, there is a percentage of their customer base that cannot afford the extra cost of a hard ticket event. Having EMH as a perk during those times when nighttime hours are already shortened is a perk that has greater impact during party season than it does when MK is open later all 7 days of the week.

The notion that evening EMH are going away permanently is still only a rumor.

I could see it just being during the holiday party season they move them to the morning so they can still do some paid evening ones when it isn’t a party night and then bring them back one January

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I love the night time parties and events. Smaller crowds, cooler temps, walk on rides, rare characters. I only wish they had some type of parties only AP.
We have always avoided EMH and the few times I did the nighttime ones at MK it was so crowded it was awful. I think lots of folks avoided these for the same reason so I cant see Disney losing business over this.

I'm with you as long as they keep the crowds small and the rides walk on. I'm concerned they will keep increasing the ticket numbers for these parties.

Not defending Disney if they do it, but isn't the consensus pretty much that evening EMH at MK is fundamentally worthless these days? That seems to be the attitude of a lot of people around the boards. I can understand it -- 100,000 people at the resorts at any given time, 60 percent of them at MK for night EMHs, that would leave the MK at about 60K on those nights. You have to assume that this fall, the parks are going to be as crowded as we've seen them in at least a decade. A lot of them will be staying onsite in order to maximize their SW access. So there will be a lot of resort guests, and if they have MK EMH nights, a very large percentage of them will migrate to the MK, leaving it as crowded during EMH as it is during a lot of the days. In other words, the actual benefit that is being projected isn't actually there. And in the meantime, I doubt there are a lot of things that generate more complaints than crowded EMHs. I don't know that there's a way around it for MK, actually, and by eliminating the PM EMHs, they might be temper expectations. I know that's probably overly generous of me, but if you have a benefit that's not really proving beneficial anymore, maybe it makes sense to stop doing it, and hopefully substitute something else.

If you think about it, there are two things that generate complaints at WDW -- crowds and cost. Often they are inter related. So if they do this -- and I'm not convinced they are -- my guess is that it's less a money grab and more a crowd control thing. That said, it doesn't hurt their bottom line that they have parties and events to fill the night-time gaps. And as long as they don't let you book with the published expectation of EMH, they aren't being deceitful in their advertising, even if we don't like the results.

I also think there's a decent chance that HS and GE will likely have some degree of EMH, and in all likelyhood more than one a week. So for the early GE surge, they might be putting all their EMH eggs in that basket and they haven't totally plotted out their man-hour requirements this far out.

Not defending Disney if they do it, but isn't the consensus pretty much that evening EMH at MK is fundamentally worthless these days? That seems to be the attitude of a lot of people around the boards. I can understand it -- 100,000 people at the resorts at any given time, 60 percent of them at MK for night EMHs, that would leave the MK at about 60K on those nights. You have to assume that this fall, the parks are going to be as crowded as we've seen them in at least a decade. A lot of them will be staying onsite in order to maximize their SW access. So there will be a lot of resort guests, and if they have MK EMH nights, a very large percentage of them will migrate to the MK, leaving it as crowded during EMH as it is during a lot of the days. In other words, the actual benefit that is being projected isn't actually there. And in the meantime, I doubt there are a lot of things that generate more complaints than crowded EMHs. I don't know that there's a way around it for MK, actually, and by eliminating the PM EMHs, they might be temper expectations. I know that's probably overly generous of me, but if you have a benefit that's not really proving beneficial anymore, maybe it makes sense to stop doing it, and hopefully substitute something else.

If you think about it, there are two things that generate complaints at WDW -- crowds and cost. Often they are inter related. So if they do this -- and I'm not convinced they are -- my guess is that it's less a money grab and more a crowd control thing. That said, it doesn't hurt their bottom line that they have parties and events to fill the night-time gaps. And as long as they don't let you book with the published expectation of EMH, they aren't being deceitful in their advertising, even if we don't like the results.

I also think there's a decent chance that HS and GE will likely have some degree of EMH, and in all likelyhood more than one a week. So for the early GE surge, they might be putting all their EMH eggs in that basket and they haven't totally plotted out their man-hour requirements this far out.
So they had to take it away because it was too well attended. Sounds rather Yogi Berra-ish.

Right .. the fact remains that as long as people are paying for parking fees, extra events, dessert parties, etc. Disney will KEEP offering them.
It happens all across all industries. Supply/demand.

Disney does seem to be putting their money where their mouth is by adding a ton of new E-ticket attractions (and restaurants and expansion lands, etc.) in a very short span of time. Not since the they made whole entire parks decades ago did we see this sort of "attraction" growth.

I can certainly recognize that, but an argument can be made that there was a “neglect period” during the mid 2000s that’s being compensated for right now

Does there have to be "fault"? It is just the way they choose to spend their disposable income (which only they can have any say at all about).
Sure. But if you had no one paying for them it wouldn't stick around long. It certainly wouldn't expand. To Disney it's seen as a profitable thing so why stop it. Well it wouldn't be as profitable if people wouldn't flock to it.

I don't think it's a negative towards how one opts to spend their disposable income.

They are only worthless because it's only 2 hours, 1 night a week. If they went back to 3 hours, multiple nights they would be awesome. Oh wait, they did do that, but it cost $130/person.

So they had to take it away because it was too well attended. Sounds rather Yogi Berra-ish.

Again, I don't know that they are, and the only evidence if it is they haven't published hours six months out.

But my point is that IF they sell premium-priced rooms with the expectation that night time EMH at MK will be less crowded than other times, AND those nighttime EMHs don't seem much different than a regular day at MK, THEN people have a legitimate reason to complain. If they don't offer it at all, and you knew that going in, then you may be disappointed but you weren't deceived.

And if they offer morning EMH, there's still a benefit. It may not be as big a benefit as it used to be, and it may not be as popular, but it is still a benefit. As long as they are upfront about it, everyone can decide for themselves. But as I said before, I think the accusations about this are a bit premature. They are getting ready to open what, for all intents and purposes, will be their biggest opening since the parks themselves, and they may be just taking their time to get it right. Or maybe not, but for now they get the benefit of my doubt.

Not defending Disney if they do it, but isn't the consensus pretty much that evening EMH at MK is fundamentally worthless these days?

Not at all worthless IMO. We attended evening EMH (10pm-12am) last Tuesday and it was awesome. The park pretty much cleared out after HEA and we were able to walk onto several rides with pretty much no wait.

Edit: Sorry, meant Wednesday, not Tuesday

So now we wait 2 days to see if it’s back Wednesday October 9.
I guess there’s a small chance of a private event on October 2, thus the switch to AM EMH?

Sure. But if you had no one paying for them it wouldn't stick around long. It certainly wouldn't expand. To Disney it's seen as a profitable thing so why stop it. Well it wouldn't be as profitable if people wouldn't flock to it.

Well, call me crazy, but since I want my granddaughter's grandaughter to enjoy the place just like we have, I actually prefer that Disney does make money. I prefer they reinvest (billions just like they currently are) a lot of it. And yes it might mean my past park habits are affected, but in this time of such high demand, the time is now for them to make money. It's the same as my Cub fandom and park habits were affected greatly from 2015 through the world series win and still today. The comp tickets I got are snapped up, the tickets I bought have doubled. Parking has skyrocketed. The team though has spent 800 million on the ballpark. The premium opportunities are endless with high end eating, etc. The Cubs time for making money has never been better. And they are taking advantage. It is how businesses are run. It is how they need to be run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter