• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of moving...resources for planning?

I use these boards for all my Disney related questions so I’ll try here first. My husband and I are in the early (very early) stages of considering a move south. Thinking of an over 55 community within an hour from Disney world. Can someone recommend online resources for us before we take any further steps. Maybe discussion boards or web sites with information on various communities. Thanks.
Coincidentally, my spouse and I just started down the same path. We are at least a year away from even considering any kind of move, but after that who knows? We're also looking at "Active 55+" communities, but we've already pinned down some more specifics - specifics that appear to be making our search exceedingly challenging. (For example, we're aiming to be less than a half hour from WDW, we have a minimum square footage and price limit in mind. It isn't that we're that far from the mark, but it is just enough to be a barrier, at least for now.)

... some of the guys my dh works with, said the Orlando area is one of the last areas that you want to live in.
I regard concerns of that sort the same as dining reviews that say nothing more than, "I hated that restaurant." Everyone's entitled to their own assessment but without specifics I don't even think such comments are worth considering.

Some of the "over 55" communities do not permit younger overnight visitors
Do you know of any examples? I know that for some people this would be distressing, but we find that aspect attractive.

First off living here is not like vacationing here....
That's simultaneously something that I'm very worried about and something that I'm very much hoping. As long-time DVC members we've already transitioned from park commandos (our last park commando visit had me sprinting back and forth across the parks, with my family members' tickets in hand, to get their next FastPass, as they were riding their previous FastPass attraction - never again). If we ride three rides in a day we're happy; we love the place just for the atmosphere, especially Animal Kingdom Park. If I can convince myself that I'm going to do my 12,000 steps every day doing laps around The Oasis, Discovery Island Trails, Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail, and Maharajah Jungle Trek, we'd already be in the moving van.

Thank you! We definitely want to spend some time looking around to get the feel of the areas.
We're struggling to carve out time from WDW trips for community-shopping ventures. I tried to add a day to our March trip for it and my spouse nixed the idea (due to work and church obligations). Maybe during our December trip. After that, we are planning an eighteen month hiatus before another WDW trip (assuming we don't move), so we'd have to actually (gasp!) take the trip just for the purpose of community shopping.

We want to downsize the house & get into a community with outside maintenance included. Some place where the community members socialize from time to time. A pool, clubhouse, & fitness center.
Let's be neighbors. That's exactly what we want.

We want warm. And FL has no state tax and a good number of transplanted northerns :)
Ditto. We already have warm (we moved from the north to Atlanta several years ago) so we'll have a lesser adjustment in that regard. And GA is limited state income tax on retirement withdrawals - but no state income tax whatsoever beats that.

I really appreciate all the advice.
As do I.

Certainly do your research. I know an awful lot of people in their retirement years that move away and are miserable. Friends, family, Doctors, Dentists, stores, churches that they have had for decades are no longer there.
Having only recently moved here to Georgia, we haven't such strong ties. We haven't put ourselves in the right place to establish the kind of friendships we previously established up north; our church is a big disappointment; I'm just itching for reasons to find new doctors and dentists; and my spouse's aunt and uncle in nearby Tennessee have both passed away over the past several years. By your yardstick, we're ripe for the move.

And gets even worse when one of them passes away.
This is a consideration, but in the opposite direction. We no longer have family nearby, and some of my family is in Florida, so we'd be moving closer to family. My spouse is significantly older, and I worry about living my last years, veritably alone, here in Georgia.

I hated not having winter. ...No one felt like they were from there, I met people from everywhere except Florida. In my condo compex alone I met more people from my hometown 1,000+ miles away than I met from the county I was living in. ...I also like to run trails and need elevation change. Running on pond-flat trails for miles is boring.
Specifics like these three you've shared are very helpful! We have lived without winter for the last several years and are much happier for it. (It could have something to do with the fact that two years before we moved south, my spouse and I were out walking in winter and next thing we knew the doctor in the ER was putting both my spouse's arms in casts. We hate snow.) With regard to living among locals, my one Georgia-native neighbor just put up a For Sale sign. The rest of my neighbors are from Indiana, Ohio, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, California, Connecticut, etc. I think this move to Georgia might have been a really good test for an eventual move to Florida.

And while I agree that running on pond-flat trails for miles is boring, you can see above that my fantasy exercise regimen has a different venue. :)

If you relocate to someplace across the country, also need to consider the cost of travel to visit relatives for holidays/weddings/social functions/graduations/etc..
Since moving back north is not a consideration, we would be considering the cost of traveling between the north and Orlando versus Atlanta. I don't see much difference, except that in Orlando we're more likely to get them to visit us. :)

Vacationer 1954 - your post really made me smile this morning. We sound so alike! Maybe we will be neighbors one day!

We plan on starting a physical search in the area once our house here sells.

There is Stoneybrook, which is just a regular (large) community, with a golf course...
Then Hamlin is going in right now which is just right off the 429, Several community off of Avalon Rd... Several communities off of Marsh Road.... Twin Waters, and Waterside at John's lake - both are on John's Lake.... there is another community that they are clearing for right now, but un-named as of yet...

If you travel down Marsh Road, it becomes Hartfield Marsh Road in Lake County which the city is Clermont.. more communities some established, some brand new, some they are clearing the and are un-named as of yet.... as well as Legends which is off Hwy 27 in Clermont...

Most of these communities have more than the traditional home, some have patio homes sorta a tri-plex , some have what the called rear load ( as the garage is in the back), which are stand alone homes, with a very small yard... some have resort style pools with on site gyms very upscale, club houses, Tot Lots ( play grounds), some have traditional townhouse living..

Down the 429 there are even more going in...
Thanks so much! Enjoying the searching. Looking forward to coming down hopefully in a few months to start looking in person. We are ready.

Having only recently moved here to Georgia, we haven't such strong ties. We haven't put ourselves in the right place to establish the kind of friendships we previously established up north; our church is a big disappointment; I'm just itching for reasons to find new doctors and dentists; and my spouse's aunt and uncle in nearby Tennessee have both passed away over the past several years. By your yardstick, we're ripe for the move.
All you can do is do your homework and pause and think about it before you jump. It's always going to be a little bit of gamble. The churches, doctors, dentists and neighbors certainly could be better, or worse than what you have now.

There is Stoneybrook, which is just a regular (large) community, with a golf course...
Then Hamlin is going in right now which is just right off the 429, Several community off of Avalon Rd... Several communities off of Marsh Road.... Twin Waters, and Waterside at John's lake - both are on John's Lake.... there is another community that they are clearing for right now, but un-named as of yet...

If you travel down Marsh Road, it becomes Hartfield Marsh Road in Lake County which the city is Clermont.. more communities some established, some brand new, some they are clearing the and are un-named as of yet.... as well as Legends which is off Hwy 27 in Clermont...

Most of these communities have more than the traditional home, some have patio homes sorta a tri-plex , some have what the called rear load ( as the garage is in the back), which are stand alone homes, with a very small yard... some have resort style pools with on site gyms very upscale, club houses, Tot Lots ( play grounds), some have traditional townhouse living..

Down the 429 there are even more going in...
I had been researching Stoneybrook UNTIL I read online that the Golf Course closed abruptly recently. There are several homes for sale now. Wondering if this will be a necessary disclosure by the realtors now.:confused: Homes that back the golf course directly will have a huge issue now as well as the uncertainty of the entire community. :scared1:Supposedly HOA trying to figure out what will be happening to the golf course. That is a shame:scratchin, looks like a beautiful community!

I live in Winter Garden, and this is one of the reason that we picked this area, It takes me about 5 or so min's. to get to the Hamlin Publix, and there is a entrance and exit off the 429... which is great... We built in a brand new development, we were in the first 5 to go up, and we have been moved in for 16 months give or take a day... Lots and lots of growth...in our area...

I total agree with living somewhere before jumping in and buying... I totally get the relocation... we moved 5 times in 10 years... DH said all done with that, so we are getting to put down some roots in the community...
As I mentioned before, we would be looking to rent for at least a year to get our feet wet. Several lovely communities in Winter Garden, but have also heard positive comments about Windermere. Started to research this morning and it seems comparable communities, real estate tax seems higher in Windermere. Unfortunately, just drove through Windermere quickly. Can you speak to differences between Windermere and Winter Garden?:confused: MUCH THANKS!::yes:::goodvibes

I had been researching Stoneybrook UNTIL I read online that the Golf Course closed abruptly recently. There are several homes for sale now. Wondering if this will be a necessary disclosure by the realtors now.:confused: Homes that back the golf course directly will have a huge issue now as well as the uncertainty of the entire community. :scared1:Supposedly HOA trying to figure out what will be happening to the golf course. That is a shame:scratchin, looks like a beautiful community!

I had heard something about that...from a neighbor who's husband that plays golf there often...Not sure what happened... I know that the community will be having a fit, and the HOA will most certainly get to the bottom of it... It is a very nice community... I will poke around later, when I am at Zumba a couple of the ladies live in there... So if they have any info I will let you know...

I had heard something about that...from a neighbor who's husband that plays golf there often...Not sure what happened... I know that the community will be having a fit, and the HOA will most certainly get to the bottom of it... It is a very nice community... I will poke around later, when I am at Zumba a couple of the ladies live in there... So if they have any info I will let you know...
Thank you! Hopefully, for the homeowners another golf course will purchase the land

As I mentioned before, we would be looking to rent for at least a year to get our feet wet. Several lovely communities in Winter Garden, but have also heard positive comments about Windermere. Started to research this morning and it seems comparable communities, real estate tax seems higher in Windermere. Unfortunately, just drove through Windermere quickly. Can you speak to differences between Windermere and Winter Garden?:confused: MUCH THANKS!::yes:::goodvibes

Windermere is prime real estate and is very expensive to live there, Lots of Ball Players, Golfers, some well known people live in this area, Old Money and Big Money ... You are correct the tax base is higher... then there are tons of townhouse communities, apartments to house lots of folks that work at Disney, It was nothing to see someone at Publix, with Disney uniform on, Bus drivers, servers, so that was kinda neat to see... We lived in Windermere (renting a town house) while our house was being built 2 years - 1 year searching for just the right spot and 1 year building it... I did like the area, close to Disney...and major road ways easily accessible.. We did find that service's were higher in cost...Gas was higher for sure.

The house we live in today was almost 100 thousand dollars less to build with the same square footage and lots more upgrades... than the house we were looking to build in Windermere... with the same builder... I asked why would it be such a huge difference... ( at least to us that's alot of money) simply put they said its the zip code... it will carry the price...

Windermere and Winter Garden back up to each other...I live around 10 minutes from where we lived in Windermere

Winter Garden - For us we just fell in love with Winter Garden, still close to Disney, for us it has more of a small community feel, and its close to everything...very close to major road ways, 429, Florida turnpike, 1-4, 408 and Hwy 27 and Hwy 50 ( with easier access which for DH was a must for his job) we can be at the beach in under 2 hours to either coast... We looked for a year, and kept coming back to this area over and over again...so we knew this was the area for us... We just felt at home here... Our Service are less, what it cost us to cool and heat our house with more square footage is less per month...

Clermont is another area that we can easily get to for more shopping, and dinning, and other activities...

LovesTimone, sounds like you found your "home"! Great for you! Always a gamble making a move, there are tradeoffs but when the positives outweigh any negatives, its a win! Will be renting, but will also consider Windermere for rentals. :thumbsup2

I’ll chime in too, as I live basically between Windermere and Winter Garden.

It depends on where exactly in Windermere or Winter Garden you’re talking about. Both places have a town proper and then miles and miles of land that carries the towns’ names. Windermere itself is very small, very expensive and has beautiful picturesque streets with canopies of oak trees. Downtown Winter Garden (north of Colonial Dr.) is lovely as well. It has more of a traditional Main Street with shops, restaurants, bars and a local community theater (Windermere has a very, very small Main Street strip). Both towns host farmer’s markets and other events. Winter Garden is more middle class and Windermere is upper class/exclusive.

Most of the newly built communities are not within the town limits, but still carry town names, hence nicknames like “Winder-near”. The parts of Winter Garden and Windermere along 535 and the 429 are almost indistinguishable.

I’ll chime in too, as I live basically between Windermere and Winter Garden.

It depends on where exactly in Windermere or Winter Garden you’re talking about. Both places have a town proper and then miles and miles of land that carries the towns’ names. Windermere itself is very small, very expensive and has beautiful picturesque streets with canopies of oak trees. Downtown Winter Garden (north of Colonial Dr.) is lovely as well. It has more of a traditional Main Street with shops, restaurants, bars and a local community theater (Windermere has a very, very small Main Street strip). Both towns host farmer’s markets and other events. Winter Garden is more middle class and Windermere is upper class/exclusive.

Most of the newly built communities are not within the town limits, but still carry town names, hence nicknames like “Winder-near”. The parts of Winter Garden and Windermere along 535 and the 429 are almost indistinguishable.
Thank you for the detail and insight, very helpful!:thumbsup2 The growth in the area certainly seems good and the area seems to be in demand. Although are done with educating our kids, we have always purchased in communities with good schools. The schools seem good, but with the growth comes the need for additional schools, thus higher taxes. I read that there is a need for portable classrooms in Windermere High School already? Additionally, a brand new middle school will be opening Bridgewater in Horizons West? Assume that this is all due to growth? Trying to do our homework scouring local papers, etc for as much information as we can get. In our case, we will be renting before we purchase, so worst case, we for some reason, the area or experience is not what we expected, we are not tied to a purchase.

Have you looked at Trilogy at Ocala Preserve ? It’s a little over an hour from Orlando.
DH & Ilooled at over 25 55 plus communities in Florida this past December. Trilogy in Ocala was by far our favorite!

Have you looked at Trilogy at Ocala Preserve ? It’s a little over an hour from Orlando.
DH & Ilooled at over 25 55 plus communities in Florida this past December. Trilogy in Ocala was by far our favorite!
We are looking at this! It is a little further from Disney than we want and I hearing it is big horse country. We are looking to live in an area with folks who share similar interests. With the exception of watching the triple crown races we have no interest in horses. I am afraid we will have trouble making friends there.

We are looking at this! It is a little further from Disney than we want and I hearing it is big horse country. We are looking to live in an area with folks who share similar interests. With the exception of watching the triple crown races we have no interest in horses. I am afraid we will have trouble making friends there.
We just bought a house there & everyone is super friendly. Most are not horse people we only met one out of 20 that were horse people. It’s a beautiful community, new & better priced than 25 other communities we looked at in Florida. Plus we could take a ride to Disney together if you lived there too !!

Another great reason Ocala real estate prices will soar next year when they finish building the World Equestrian Center...

We just bought a house there & everyone is super friendly. Most are not horse people we only met one out of 20 that were horse people. It’s a beautiful community, new & better priced than 25 other communities we looked at in Florida. Plus we could take a ride to Disney together if you lived there too !!

Another great reason Ocala real estate prices will soar next year when they finish building the World Equestrian Center...

Thanks! We will most definitely look here. Hoping to come down for a few weeks and check out a few areas. This definitely makes the short list. My husband has always liked the area. Good to know there are non horse people there.

Thanks! We will most definitely look here. Hoping to come down for a few weeks and check out a few areas. This definitely makes the short list. My husband has always liked the area. Good to know there are non horse people there.
Be sure to message me if you do end up loving it at Trilogy & moving there!

You're probably looking for specific information about those communities, which I can't necessarily speak to, but I found some good resources from a moving company (three men and a truck) to be very helpful in the planning stages of my last move. Definitely some things I didn't think about that I'm glad I came across.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter