Thinking of buying - have some questions

wdwtravels

My previous post count was 4539!
I'm sorry if these have been asked before - I've had a read through and haven't spotted them.

DH and I have just started thinking about buying DVC - we're considering getting 200 points at SSR - it's only the two of us and we'd like to be able to stay in a studio for two weeks each November. We're planning on taking the tour in May and then buying in the summer when we'll be able to do so without finance.

Here's my Qs:

1. How many years can you bank points for? We won't need all of the 200 points for two weeks in a studio, so we'll bank a few of them into the next year - which will allow us to stay in a different resort, or a different time of year. But what happens if I have left over points from 2007 and then we choose not to go at all in 2008? Obviously, I can bank my 08 points into 09, but can i carry the 07 points over too?

2. What is the resale value like? I have seen that resale is about 15% less than buying from Disney - but I'd like to know how the value holds over a number of years. So the cheeky question is, of you bought your points say 10 years ago, how much have you made/lost on today's price?

3. How often do the annual maintenance fees increase and how much by? I'm assuming what I pay for maintenance fees in 2007 won't stay the same for 47 years!

I think that's everything for now - TIA :thumbsup2

I'm sorry if these have been asked before - I've had a read through and haven't spotted them.

DH and I have just started thinking about buying DVC - we're considering getting 200 points at SSR - it's only the two of us and we'd like to be able to stay in a studio for two weeks each November.

Here's my Qs:

1. How many years can you bank points for? We won't need 200 points for two weeks in a studio, so we'll bank a few of them into the next year - which will allow us to stay in a different resort, or a different time of year. But what happens if I have left over points from 2007 and then we choose not to go at all in 2008? Obviously, I can bank my 08 points into 09, but can i carry the 07 points over too?

You can only bank your points for one year so if you bank 07 points but don't use them you will lose them. If you don't think you will use them in time you can rent or transfer them but there are restrictions on that.

2. What is the resale value like? I have seen that resale is about 15% less than buying from Disney - but I'd like to know how the value holds over a number of years. So the cheeky question is, of you bought your points say 10 years ago, how much have you made/lost on today's price?

That's a little trickier of a question. I don't really think you can look at
in an investment point of view. I look at it as I'm in investing in having fun for the next 48 years. LOL

3. How often do the annual maintenance fees increase and how much by? I'm assuming what I pay for maintenance fees in 2007 won't stay the same for 47 years!

Maintenance fees do go up but it is pretty minimal year to year I believe. We have only been members for year but I think comapred to how much resort fees goes up to DVC fees I think the percentage is less for DVC

I think that's everything for now - TIA :thumbsup2

I sent you a PM with some info about SSR in case you wanted to check it out
Good luck and I hope I helped a little.

facebook twitter