Thermostat setting..what is yours?

Daytime temp: 68
Nighttime temp: 65

Since we have gas heat, I do keep it lower. If it gets chilly in a room, I turn on a space heater for a little bit.

oil costs to much these days, and we all have plenty of sweaters, and blankets around. during the night we have the (our home is multi-levels) downstairs on 58, and the upstairs on 60. it will stay that way until around 10am when i will put it up to 64 on each level. if it is a very cold late afternoon i MIGHT put them up to 68 (we are talking cloudy windy cold Jan. day). we can't sleep with it any warmer, the air gets to dry. we also have llbean down comforters, electric blankets, and flannel sheets on the beds, lol. a lot of evenings dh will put a fire in the fireplace and that puts a nice warmth through the house.( a glass of wine doesn't hurt either, lol)

Chicagoland here...62 daytime and 58-60 nighttime...yes we are freezing... we wear layers, have used a heating pad to pre warm the bed...learned we could survive having it as low as 56 when DH was out of work over a winter...so now we are always cautious and try to save everywhere we can...as long as it doesn't cost us a medical bill! ;)

Pam

Most of you will shiver when you read this - 64. Day/night - always 64. We also keep windows open a crack in various places and sleep with the ceiling fan on!

We're in Maine, and when we're home I keep the thermostat at about 68; when leaving for work/vacation/visiting it goes down to 60. I REFUSE to turn the heat above 68 :teeth:

In NC here, and I am home most of the day with DD3. We keep the heat on 72 (kids always kick off the blankets and get cold). We keep the AC on 76. I try to keep the electric bill under $200 a month, but we usually go over that in the summer - so hot and humid here then!

Tampa, FL. here.
I try not to use the heat at all in the winter, but DH is from England and seems to get cold easily and will sneak it on when I'm not looking "just to take the chill off" :confused3
We enjoy lower bills in the winter but in the summer we keep the A/C at 78-79 and in August I had a $479 electric bill :rotfl2:

ldb1030 said:
Hey! :wave2: I think you and I chatted on the "people doing demos" thread also!
That's cool you have family in JC also! And Abilene!! Thats's where my step-daughter and her husband live!!! And I was in OP over the weekend seeing one of my sisters!!

It really IS a small world! ;)

:offtopic: Yep, I did! I think I finally got a hold of someone who can help me with that! Yeah! I wonder if our families know each other. Indeed it is a small world.

We have the battle of the thermostat here. In the winter he tries to have it a toasty 72. I hate a hot, stuffy house so I lower it to 67. At night I like to sleep a little chilly so I lower it more, 65. We have a programmable one that needs to be installed. DH thinks it's really complicated to do so he hasn;t even tried.

I keep mine set at 65. I have the woodstove going most of the time, so the heat doesn't come on much and its always above 70 in the house. I let the fire go out during the night so its a little cooler for sleeping.

Harvest02 said:
We are from Indiana, so we get cold here in our part of the midwest also! I try to keep it around 69 or 70 degrees! Some people would say this is too cold, but I think it is fine. I like to use lots of blankets in the winter! Another way to save money besides turning the temp down is to get a programmable thermostat. We got one right before winter last year, and I think it does help to keep costs down also!!! :)

Holy Cow!!! Too cold?? Are you sure your thermostat is working properly? I can't see how anyone can keep their house that stifling hot?!

We keep ours at around 62 during the day, and around 58-60 at night. The upstairs gets way too hot when the heat is on, so that's why it goes down much more at night.

BTW, it's COOOOOLD this morning...in the 30's today. brrrrrr....

Mary

edited: Ok, I just read some more responses. I guess alot of people like to keep it hot in their homes. I guess I just can't stand it too hot. And I'm someone who is always cold, but not in my house...lol. Maybe because I'm always moving. lol.

In Virginia and ours stays around 72. I still get so cold. Last Chrirstmas DH got me an electric throw blanket. I love it.
Years ago we lived in Upstate NY. We kept our temp set at 65 there. I could tolerate being cold more than paying outrageous heating bills.

I stay so cold that I even have an electric blanket in the car that plugs in the cigarette lighter!! :rotfl2:

We are fortunate to have a new house with good insulation, live in a portion of the country that doesn't get below 25 degrees and have moderate heating costs.

We recently adjusted the thermostat to 68 from 70. This thread reminded me to program the thermostat to let it drop further at night. Our daughter is now able to sleep under blankets all night, so that should save a few bucks.

We heat with natural gas and our last bill was $55 and I expect it to rise again, but shouldn't go over $100 a month. We use gas for heating, hot water, fireplace, clothes dryer and cooking.

I feel sorry for those who are saddled with $400 bills, I think we would have a 55 gallon barrel fire in the living room if we recieved a $400 bill.

Wow no wonder my propane bill is through the roof. During the winter we keep it between 70 and 73 and I'm still freezing my butt off.

We set it from 55-58 at night, 60 when no one is home and 64 when we are home. We also have a wood-coal stove that DH keeps running in the depth of Winter. I even keep my office set at 66 - don't like it hot.

We like to keep it around 62-65 at night. During the day,if we're home, 65-68. My boys like to snuggle with blankets so they are always toasty.

:offtopic: Alert!

Now Sing "It's a small world after all" with me.

svalencia1 said:
I have family in Junction City too! Also in Abilene and Wamego. I'm in the city though (Overland Park).

I used to live in Manhattan. My DH graduated from KSU. Go Wildcats! :cheer2: Got married and moved to Topeka then to Wamego. Now we live In TN. I miss Kansas but it's warmer here. :sunny:

All right stop singing now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter