The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

Dinner was yummy!!!!

Peanut Noodles

Ingredients

8 ounces spaghetti
1 bunch green onions, sliced (white parts only)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup hot water
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

1.Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until done. Drain.
2.Meanwhile, combine oil and onions in a small skillet. Saute over low heat until tender. Add ginger; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in peanut butter, soy sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat.
3.Toss noodles with sauce, and serve.

***I doubled the recipe for 4 of us, because we were using this as a main dish. But, it was a lot and it's heavy because of the sauce. So, take that into account if you're making it. This was DELICIOUS and easy.

I tried a new recipe tonight, and shockingly, there were no complaints and the kids liked it! I made sweet and sour chicken, adapted from a Jaden Hair recipe. For those of you who like Asian food, you should check out her Steamy Kitchen blog, if you haven't already. I haven't made a lot of her recipes, but every one I have made has been both easy and family-friendly.

I used to bring leftovers for lunch but now there aren't any.

The recipe I made tonight was supposed to serve four. There aren't any leftovers. I can't believe you only have three weeks left of work. The season flew! Of course, I bet you are ready for a break.

Glynis -- Vegas, Baby, Vegas! Do not feel guilty!! You definitely deserve the break. Enjoy!

Marisa -- Cute decorations!

This definitely is something Caili would like. I have made similar dishes, but with less peanut butter.

Nancy and Marisa -- Enjoy dinner with Timmy!

Ellen -- Yes, I got my flu shot. So did Caili. Liam is scheduled for one next week. Usually, he can't get it because of his egg allergy, but this year the allergist gave the go ahead.

Kat- :hug: Not sure what is going on. Lately I am clueless to anything.:sad2:

And now FB is irking me to the max. Or I should say some people I know. :headache: I have a couple family members on there that post 10-15 links, joke things, etc in a row and I keep missing regular status updates because of it. Wish I could block that kind of stuff.

Dinner tonight was crablegs and boiled potatoes.

For those of you who like Asian food, you should check out her Steamy Kitchen blog, if you haven't already. I haven't made a lot of her recipes, but every one I have made has been both easy and family-friendly.

Thanks - I added her to my reader!

Kat, hope everything is okay. I'm thrilled that you're down to single digits (and also really jealous!) :cool1: What dining reservations have you made?

Another busy Wednesday here - I picked up food on the way home for us.

Catching up!

Kat - enjoy the countdown. I don't know what's going on with you but please know that I'm thinking of you and wishing the best for you. :hug:

Janice - Happy Belated birthday to Alex.

Ellen - No flu shot for me. It's springtime! ;). In any event, I had the flu shot once and that was the year that I was the sickest. Haven't yet summoned up the courage for a repeat!

Becky - Cape Cod sounds great. I know the Dis is slow...but I'm still waiting for your pictures. popcorn::

Glynis - A nice new Maytag! :cool1: Bet you're still over doing laundry! :laughing: Have a great time in Vegas. Remember....what happens in Vegas stays on the Dis! :thumbsup2

Nancy - Who's Timmy? Glad to see your cold has gone.

Brandi - love your food! :lovestruc

Laura - Hope you're well. Portion sizes for my DS10 are also on the increase here. :headache:

Robin - You tried the Pad Thai! :flower3: Hope that it wasn't 'missing' much for you.

Marisa - love your pictures and Halloween decorations. That Jack Skillington scarecrow is fantastic!

Alison - I know you had a good time at the spa. :yay:

Marilyn - I don't know what's going on much either. Life has a way of just keeping you busy and away from "life".

Dinner time has finished here. We had Pasta two ways - Carbonara (and I added peas!!) and Marinara. Tomorrow is Friday - so dinner will be fish and chips.
I haven't really settled into the routine of work yet; but it doesn't feel very far away.

Apple Cider Donuts

Most of you are aware that I play on a number of subforums on the Dis.

One of these forums is the photography one and I really enjoy the scavenger hunts that pea-n-me organizes. For the last 18 months, there has only been a Summer Scav Hunt and a Winter Scav Hunt. Naturally, given that I live in the upsidedown part of the world, my seasons are reversed. So, the challenge for me has been finding summer stuff in winter and vice versa. I’ve been pretty successful at it to date…..

This Fall season, pea-n-me decided to run a Fall Scav Hunt. It’s springtime in Melbourne. And there are a number of items on the list that has been an absolute challenge for even me to get!

One of the items is Apple Cider Donuts. Aside from the seasonal differences, I don’t even think that Aussies know what Apple Cider Donuts are……I certainly didn’t!

So, I did what I naturally do best when it comes to Scav Hunt items…..I googled! I quickly realized that there was no way that I was going to find Apple Cider Donuts “in the wild”, so to speak, and opted for the next best option. Finding a recipe that I could cook up at home.

I think that my cooking this dish gives you a degree of insight into some of the lengths that I go to for the sake of a shot. And some of you may be sitting there wondering about my (in)sanity and thought process.…but compared to some of my other ‘adventures’, this is mild by comparison.

This is the recipe that I found off the internet. It was interesting for a donut recipe - because it didn't involve any frying...just baking in the oven.

My starting ingredients:

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts002.jpg

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • ½ cup unsweetened plain apple puree
  • ⅓ cup low fat buttermilk
  • ⅓ cup apple cider
  • ⅛ cup honey mixed with ⅛ cup maple syrup

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and stir to combine.

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts003.jpg

Combine the egg, apple cider, apple puree, buttermilk, honey and maple syrup in a large bowl and whisk together.
NOTE: I just realised that I should have added 1 tablespoon of melted butter as well…but I didn’t include this in the my mix.

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts006.jpg

Make a well in the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients.

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts007.jpg

Mix until the batter just comes together.

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts008.jpg

Transfer some mix into a donut pan that has been oiled. You can sprinkle some sugar around the sides of each donut if you like. I chose not to do so.

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts009.jpg

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the donuts spring back when touched and are golden brown on the bottom. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts011.jpg

My Apple Cider Donuts!

2011October10AppleCiderDonuts014.jpg

princess::upsidedow

Yikes, Kathy I can't believe I fogot you when you've been on my mind so much. You've become such a part of our daily lives keeping track of all of us and I fogot to tell you I've been thinking of you. I hope whatever is going on is a bump in the road that your able to get over. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and wishing you the most amazing vacation for such an amazing person.

Thank you so much Robin.:hug:

Thanks to all for the kind words of support, each and every one of you hold a special place in my heart. Y'all really are my family.:grouphug:

Glynis – I’m glad you got your new washing machine but I’m so excited for you to be going to Vegas! There are so many restaurants out there that are on my bucket list!

Becky – I’ll definitely have a Kir Royale for ya!:thumbsup2

Ellen – I wish you could come have dinner with us, hopefully one day.;)

Marisa – I love your fall decorations and that view from Debbie’s is just beautiful!

Marilyn – Your dinner has me drooling. I swear I could live on crab.

Aimee – The first night we're doing (along with 17 other DISers/friendies) a Chilean wine dinner at Flying Fish. We booked several of the Food & Wine events, French Regional Lunch, Tequila Lunch & Truffle Lunch. In addition to that we’ve booked BlueZoo, Il Mulino, Yachtsman and Kouzzina for dinners and San Angel Inn for lunch. We're also meeting Vickie and her family for breakfast at Captain's grill. Several trips to La Cava (The Ditch) and daily booth cruising are in the plans as well. Yep, need to pack the stretchy pants.:laughing: Can't wait to see Lauren & her sisters, Gretchen and her family and Lauri D and her DH.:cool1:

Sheryl & I are planning on dressing up for the LSU & Saints games while we’re there, we’ve got shirts, feathered headbands and peel & stick tattoos, I can’t wait! I can see Bob & Johnny just shaking their heads.:teeth: Seems like our party will be starting earlier than expected, we just found out we are on the same flight out of NOLA!

WFD - Cheeseburger noodle casserole and a salad.

And now FB is irking me to the max. Or I should say some people I know. :headache: I have a couple family members on there that post 10-15 links, joke things, etc in a row and I keep missing regular status updates because of it. Wish I could block that kind of stuff.

You can, or you should be able to. When someone that is clogging your feed comes up, hover over their name. A box will pop up that shows "friends" and "subscribed." Go to the "subscribed" box and from there you can customize what comes up from them in your feed. The default is "most updates," but you can change it to "all updates" or "only important updates." You can also check (or uncheck) specific things you do/don't want to see from that person, like games, music videos, links, etc.

Kathy, WOW you have some eating planned! That sounds amazing! Please take pictures.

OK. The DIS seems to be running faster, so I will attempt to post pictures of what I cooked on Cape Cod. Scenery pictures areup on facebook for anyone interested.

The first night we bought a huge piece of local tuna. It weighed 1.6 lbs! I made two dishes from it. The first was a pepper crusted tuna steak, which I seared to rare and served with a devilled shallot butter. Here is the sliced tuna:

6234189970_18656555a6.jpg

We had a caprese salad with the last of the local tomatoes with it:

6233665821_c77838ede2.jpg

The second dish I made with the tuna was a seveche.

6234190276_351264d1e7.jpg

It had lime juice, hot sauce, cucumbers, scallions, onions, and on the top quixos, which are peruvian puffed crunch corn.

The next night we had seared local cod with local bay scallops and lobster and shrimp in a sherried shrimp sauce:

6233666607_1668e87e7e.jpg

(Apologies for the odd lighting, we were eating in the dark!).

The next day we went out to lunch and enjoyed some of the local Wellfleet oysters, which were delicious, but apparently I forgot to upload the picture :confused:

Then we split a fried clam plate, as you can see it was MORE than enough for two people!:

6233666815_7108f3c480.jpg

For our last meal on the Cape, I made a spanish pepper-chorizo-tomato-clam stew:

6233667317_0624e4c952.jpg

Which we enjoyed with some bacon-cheese bread from a local bakery (PB Bistro-Boulangerie, Robin. Have you been there? Great bread, slooooow line!):

6233667097_c256b7da5a.jpg

And I brought some clams back with me, so Monday evening we had linguini with clams:

6236989331_07caaf407c.jpg

And that is what I cooked on Cape Cod! :)

Brandi - love your food! :lovestruc

Dinner time has finished here. We had Pasta two ways - Carbonara (and I added peas!!) and Marinara. Tomorrow is Friday - so dinner will be fish and chips.
I haven't really settled into the routine of work yet; but it doesn't feel very far away.

I love food too, that is my problem...

I love carbonara...:lovestruc

Apple Cider Donuts

Most of you are aware that I play on a number of subforums on the Dis.

One of these forums is the photography one and I really enjoy the scavenger hunts that pea-n-me organizes. For the last 18 months, there has only been a Summer Scav Hunt and a Winter Scav Hunt. Naturally, given that I live in the upsidedown part of the world, my seasons are reversed. So, the challenge for me has been finding summer stuff in winter and vice versa. I’ve been pretty successful at it to date…..

This Fall season, pea-n-me decided to run a Fall Scav Hunt. It’s springtime in Melbourne. And there are a number of items on the list that has been an absolute challenge for even me to get!

One of the items is Apple Cider Donuts. Aside from the seasonal differences, I don’t even think that Aussies know what Apple Cider Donuts are……I certainly didn’t!

So, I did what I naturally do best when it comes to Scav Hunt items…..I googled! I quickly realized that there was no way that I was going to find Apple Cider Donuts “in the wild”, so to speak, and opted for the next best option. Finding a recipe that I could cook up at home.

I think that my cooking this dish gives you a degree of insight into some of the lengths that I go to for the sake of a shot. And some of you may be sitting there wondering about my (in)sanity and thought process.…but compared to some of my other ‘adventures’, this is mild by comparison.

My Apple Cider Donuts!

OK, I don't think that I think you are (in)sane....:rotfl:

So how did they taste, they look awesome!:woohoo:

You can, or you should be able to. When someone that is clogging your feed comes up, hover over their name. A box will pop up that shows "friends" and "subscribed." Go to the "subscribed" box and from there you can customize what comes up from them in your feed. The default is "most updates," but you can change it to "all updates" or "only important updates." You can also check (or uncheck) specific things you do/don't want to see from that person, like games, music videos, links, etc.

Kathy, WOW you have some eating planned! That sounds amazing! Please take pictures.

Thanks I will try that.

Dinner tonight will be something with chicken. I did find a recipe for a rub and may do that with it. My intention was to do the rub then grill it but the weather is nasty today.

Kathy - Sounds like you have a fabulous trip planned! You, Sheryl, Lauren, and all the others are going to have a great time! I can't wait to see pictures and hear all the details!

Becky - You continually amaze me! Even on vacation you manage to cook gourmet! Me? When I'm on vacation, I don't cook!

Marisa - Love the decorations! I've kind of lost my get up and go for holiday decorating. Hope I find it before Christmas.

Dinner last night was quite yummy. I made a potato and corn chowder. It was good, but it really needed to cook a bit longer than I let it. Due to kids schedules, we had a small window of time to eat, but the corn and potatoes could really have used more time.

Not sure about dinner tonight. I'm thinking of doing peanut chicken tenders with noodles, but we'll see how I'm feeling a bit closer to the time. I think I need to have my iron levels checked again. I've been feeling way more exhausted than I should be given my activity levels. Guess it's back to the doctor for me.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Nan ~ I am so glad you are feeling better. Dinner last night sounds wonderful.

Marisa ~ OMGoodness those little scarecrows are darling. I love your Mums in the planter. Thanks so much for sharing.
You are leaving for vacation in just 2 days - WDW or someplace else?

Laura ~ I was just thinking about Liam. Has he eaten anything egg based yet? I know he must be anxious, just wondering. Good for him that he can get the flu shot this year.

Jen ~ Your Peanut Butter Noodles sound divine. Do you think you could add Chicken to this. Doug would not like just noodles. ;)

Merle ~ Hi! :goodvibes

Aimee ~ Sounds like you are feeling better. How's the new car?

PIO ~ Your apple cider donuts look amazing. I bet they were very moist, did you put a glaze of any kind on them?

Kat ~ I am so excited for you and Sheryl. You both SO deserve this time away and there is no doubt you all will have a BLAST!!!

Becky ~ Sweetie, you are the only person I know that looks forward to cooking on vacation. And a good job you do. You totally amaze me. :worship: Just wonderful pictures.

I have already gotten a text message this morning from Stephanie wondering if we are on for Burgers and Beer tonight (Stephanie and I of course don't drink the beer, but it comes with the burger so the boys get 2). I guess this is going to be a weekly thing now. Sounds good to me, plus I get to see them and we sit and talk for hours.

WFDT ~ Bugers and Beer of course.

Make it a great day everyone.

My Apple Cider Donuts!

Were they tasty? I have a donut pan and am always looking for baked options. Those sound great!

Aimee – The first night we're doing (along with 17 other DISers/friendies) a Chilean wine dinner at Flying Fish. We booked several of the Food & Wine events, French Regional Lunch, Tequila Lunch & Truffle Lunch. In addition to that we’ve booked BlueZoo, Il Mulino, Yachtsman and Kouzzina for dinners and San Angel Inn for lunch. We're also meeting Vickie and her family for breakfast at Captain's grill. Several trips to La Cava (The Ditch) and daily booth cruising are in the plans as well. Yep, need to pack the stretchy pants.:laughing: Can't wait to see Lauren & her sisters, Gretchen and her family and Lauri D and her DH.:cool1:

Sheryl & I are planning on dressing up for the LSU & Saints games while we’re there, we’ve got shirts, feathered headbands and peel & stick tattoos, I can’t wait! I can see Bob & Johnny just shaking their heads.:teeth: Seems like our party will be starting earlier than expected, we just found out we are on the same flight out of NOLA!

The whole trip sounds amazing! From the shared flight there, to the awesome food options. Y'all had better do a trip report for us when you get back!

OK. The DIS seems to be running faster, so I will attempt to post pictures of what I cooked on Cape Cod.

:worship: All looks delicious!!

We'll probably eat out - haven't been to the store yet.

Marisa ~ OMGoodness those little scarecrows are darling. I love your Mums in the planter. Thanks so much for sharing.
You are leaving for vacation in just 2 days - WDW or someplace else?

Thanks!!! I dont do much for Halloween, but I love my scarecrows:lovestruc We are not going on vacation, that was from last year... I have to change my signature!!!

Merle ~ Hi! :goodvibes

Hello. :flower3:

Lunch today is Bi bim bap from a cafe near my office. The owners are Korean and have it as a special once a week. It's really good but VERY spicy when you pour the entire little sauce cup into it. :rolleyes1

Apple Cider Donuts

My Apple Cider Donuts!

:worship: Beautiful! Now I'm going to ask for a donut pan for Christmas too!

WFD - Cheeseburger noodle casserole and a salad.

That's it. UncleR and I have to come too. You don't mind, do you?

OK. The DIS seems to be running faster, so I will attempt to post pictures of what I cooked on Cape Cod. Scenery pictures areup on facebook for anyone interested.

And that is what I cooked on Cape Cod! :)

Here's what's sad...my food doesn't even look that good when I'm not on vacation. :lmao:

Becky, I just love you pics! :cloud9:

Jen ~ Your Peanut Butter Noodles sound divine. Do you think you could add Chicken to this. Doug would not like just noodles. ;)

WFDT ~ Bugers and Beer of course.

Make it a great day everyone.

I think chicken would be wonderful with these noodles!

Enjoy your burgers and beer! :teeth:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow's Friday. :cool1:

I got a swift kick in the butt today just when I needed. I had a rough day at work. It doesn't matter why or who, but I was just having a rough day. And then someone came across my path who is truly an inspiration and struggling, and she put everything into perspective for me. You know when you just need a good smack upside the head? And all of a sudden you realize that things can always be worse and you should be thankful for what you do have? Well, that's my day in a nutshell. Message received!

Tonight we are having reubens for dinner. I have yummy pastrami and swiss cheese. I shall be having mine without the thousand island sauce though, because I can't stand the stuff. :laughing:

Hope everyone has a GREAT Friday. :hug:

Dinner was a bit of a clean up. I had a meatball sub from the leftover meatballs. Caili had a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich with the two eggs and what little bacon was left in the fridge, and Liam didn't have much of anything. He didn't feel well this afternoon. He said he was extremely tired and cold. He didn't have a fever, so I am hoping he was just worn-out.

Thanks - I added her to my reader!

You'll have to let me know if you make any of her recipes!

Apple Cider Donuts

I have been having such a craving to make apple cider donuts. Not to eat them. Just to make them. Yours look great.

Kat-- Your dining plans sound great. We really loved Bluezoo last trip. It was our favorite meal. Enjoy!!

Glynis -- I hope you feel better.

Has he eaten anything egg based yet?

As you imagined, he is a bit nervous to dive in. He didn't have any problems with Dunkin Donuts munchkins though. I think that is the only baked good he has tried.

Enjoy your night!

Lunch today is Bi bim bap from a cafe near my office.

Oh, that sounds so good!

I shall be having mine without the thousand island sauce though, because I can't stand the stuff.

I don't like it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter