The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

Becky - That food at Cape Cod was awesome. :thumbsup2 Do you have any of Cape Cod and what you saw??? I'd love to see some of those too.

Brandi - As they say on the Dis, carbonara is full of that essential food group....BACON!

Sheryl and Kat - I'm drooling over your F&W plans! Have a great time. Not long now.

Jen - Don't you just love when inspirational co-workers come along and smack you in the head? I haven't had one of those smacks for a while....and am really overdue for one.

The Apple Cider donuts were great with that apple/cinnamon taste :lovestruc. I've never had any before; so I don't have anything to compare it to. All I can say is the DS loved them and took one in for his morning snack every day to school.
I found the donut pan in the local $2 shop and paid about Australian $8 for it (and we traditionally pay about 2 - 3 times more over here than anywhere else). I had been hunting for it in the local kitchen shops but no one had any. I did contemplate cooking them in a muffin pan instead.

Have a good weekend all.

ps. I didn't glaze the donuts...although you can if you want to.

PIO- We really liked the pad thai, but I could have added more chili. It was a bit dry, I should have added more sauce. I was converting and doubling the recipe in my head, I should have done it on paper. My recipe calls for tamarind paste, so the color was different but we all loved it and will have it again. I've been trying to remember to bring my camera with me more often, I'll try and get you some Cape Cod pictures- though looking out my window now all I see is fog!

Becky- I've never been to the P and B, but I've only heard good things about it. The traffic is just to bad to get there in the summer and now they are closed on my days off. To be able to be open year round in Wellfleet, they have to be good.

Laura- I understand Liam is nervous, but wait until he finds out what he's been missing!

Ellen- I've never gotten a flu shot and don't want to jinx myself!

Like Laura we cleaned out the fridge. To bad there wasn't much to clean out, it wasn't our best meal by any means. I need to come up with something better for tonight but now I really need to get ready for work. Have a great day all.

Good Morning all! It is rainy and overcast today :mad:

I want apple cider donuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dinner was bacon and eggs for me, chicken parm and root veggies for Buddy. I ran out of vegetable oil yesterday when I was making mayonnaise so I ran over to Welby's for a cup. Nola was on fire and had been all day so she ran- I mean I had to hold her hot little legs back ran- home with me so Buddy could tire her out. Welby brought her chicken parm over and we consolidated our meals.

Tonight we are celebrating Kady's 10th birthday so Marisa is bringing cupcakes and pizza to my house. I had agreed to watch Nola and Rylee for one of Welby's shows so they are all coming here.

Becky - That food at Cape Cod was awesome. :thumbsup2 Do you have any of Cape Cod and what you saw??? I'd love to see some of those too.

I do, we had some amazing sunsets. Are you on facebook? Otherwise I can load a few to flickr and post them here.

Becky- I've never been to the P and B, but I've only heard good things about it. The traffic is just to bad to get there in the summer and now they are closed on my days off. To be able to be open year round in Wellfleet, they have to be good.

It was really impressive. They had about 10 different kinds of bread, and six sandwiches. Their pastries were absolutely gorgeous looking. And the prices were not bad. I think the bacon bread was $3.50. We also bought a baguette, which was $3, and a proscuitto sandwich with arugula and parmesean, which was $6. The line was ridiculously slow though. We actually tried to go there over Labor Day and ended up leaving after waiting in line for 20 minutes without moving. I think we waited about 30 minutes this time, and there were only about 10 people ahead of us in line.

Good Morning all! It is rainy and overcast today :mad:.

It is gross here today also. Rainy and foggy. I only have to work a half day today though, as I have a dentist appointment this afternoon, so that is nice.

Happy Birthday to Kady!!!

Ladies, I want to tell you all about my very impressive dinner last night. I had....

a bowl of Annies macaroni and cheese! :rotfl:

I had a hair appointment after work and John was out for a work dinner and I was hungry when I got home, so that's what I made. No picture. :laughing:

WFD: not sure. Not Annie's though!

Morning evwryone hope youall have a great day and and a good weekend. I will leave Alabama tomorrow so no amazing dinners for me. We ate at logan steak house last night.

This afternoon i am going to my god daughters school fall festival. Should be fun.

Becky – You continue to amaze me with the cooking that you do while on vacation. The pic of the cod with scallops and lobster and shrimp has my name written all over it…:worship:!!!!!!! I cannot believe what you had for dinner last night, too funny!

Glynis – You’d better get to the doctor and get your iron checked soon!!

Ellen – Burgers and beer on a weekly basis is a good thing!:goodvibes

Jen – I’d love it if you, Uncle R and everyone else on this thread were able to come with us. EPCOT would never be the same after that!;) On the swift kick in the butt, I learned the hard way not to sweat the small stuff.:hug:

Laura – I hope Liam is feeling better today.

Happy Birthday to Kady!!!!

Doing some shopping today for vacation things and starting to pack so we'll be going out for dinner tonight, not sure where or what yet.:scratchin

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jen ~ We all have those smack the head moments. And most of the time when we need it the most. :thumbsup2

Laura ~ I can't blame Liam - I would be scared too. Bless his heart!! Have a good weekend.

PIO ~ Thanks on the glaze. It's nice to know the extra sugar is not needed. Now I just need to find a donut pan. I can't wait to try those.

Robin ~ I can't tell you how nice it is to see you posting again. You have been missed.

Nan ~ OMG I can't believe Kady is 10. Where did THAT time go. Enjoy your evening.

Becky ~ NO pictures of dinner last night - you are soley lacking young lady. :rotfl:

Brandi ~ Safe travels back home.

Kat ~ Have fun shopping tonight. That is probably my favorite part of a vacation. I totally look forward to the pre-vacation shopping. :banana:

Thank goodness it is Friday. No game for Nebraska this weekend - we have a bye week. I'm kind of excited as there are quite a few things we need to get done around the house. I hope to get my applesauce and filling canned. But most importantly is the mountain of wash waiting for me. I have no idea how 2 people can generate so much, but believe me - it will take the better part of tomorrow to get through it. Oh my life is so exciting. :rotfl2:

I hope your weekends are just as exciting. :cool1:

WFDT ~ Grilled Rib eyes, cheesy potatoes, and a kitchen sink salad.

Make it a great day my friends.

It's the start of a busy weekend. I head straight to the school tonight to help decorate and set up for the Homecoming pancake breakfast. Then it's off the meet my Dsis to get my youngest DN. Up and at the school by 6am tomorrow morning for the breakfast which is until 10:30, then clean up and the parade at 11:30. The game is at 1 and after that my DN and I will head out to her sisters swim meet.

Afterwards I am thinking we will go out and have dinner somewhere fast and easy.

Sunday morning I am taking her to the farm for apples, beets and swiss chard then home for baking apple something. After that it's back to the swim meet and after that home and pass out. :faint:

I got a swift kick in the butt today just when I needed. I had a rough day at work. It doesn't matter why or who, but I was just having a rough day. And then someone came across my path who is truly an inspiration and struggling, and she put everything into perspective for me. You know when you just need a good smack upside the head? And all of a sudden you realize that things can always be worse and you should be thankful for what you do have? Well, that's my day in a nutshell. Message received!

I hope today is better :hug:

Ellen, my weekend is just as exciting as yours :laughing: This homebody needs lame weekends like that every once in awhile so I'm thankful for it.

I've taken on the HUGE task of reorganizing my entire spice cabinet. I'm stoked about it, but it's taking a long time. I'll post pics/details when I finish! Hopefully, this weekend will bring that to an end.

I need to make a menu plan and get to the store - maybe today. Dinner is up in the air. We went to Chili's last night.

Well, the bad news here, just continues. It's time to replace our furnace. I tried to turn it on yesterday morning, and nothin'! Alan called a guy to come check our light, and it turns out that we have a huge crack in the furnace, that makes it illegal for them to fix it. This must be our time of trial. I'm hoping that Alan has some idea tucked away, because with the purchase of the washing machine, his tuition for grad school, and now a new furnace, our Christmas is looking pretty bleak! I'm just grateful that he got the wood burning stove installed. We may all be huddled around that this winter. Grrr!

Dinner tonight is tuna salad.

Tonight we are celebrating Kady's 10th birthday so Marisa is bringing cupcakes and pizza to my house. I had agreed to watch Nola and Rylee for one of Welby's shows so they are all coming here.

Happy birthday Kady!

Morning evwryone hope youall have a great day and and a good weekend. I will leave Alabama tomorrow so no amazing dinners for me. We ate at logan steak house last night.

This afternoon i am going to my god daughters school fall festival. Should be fun.

Hope you had fun!

Jen – I’d love it if you, Uncle R and everyone else on this thread were able to come with us. EPCOT would never be the same after that!;) On the swift kick in the butt, I learned the hard way not to sweat the small stuff.:hug:

Doing some shopping today for vacation things and starting to pack so we'll be going out for dinner tonight, not sure where or what yet.:scratchin

Have a great weekend everyone!

:hug: Thanks, Kat. It wasn't really a small thing, but I needed a change of perspective about it, kwim?

I've been thinking of you often. Hope you're doing well.

And you're right. EPCOT would never be the same if all of us descended at the same time. :lmao:

Jen ~ We all have those smack the head moments. And most of the time when we need it the most. :thumbsup2

Thank goodness it is Friday. No game for Nebraska this weekend - we have a bye week. I'm kind of excited as there are quite a few things we need to get done around the house. I hope to get my applesauce and filling canned. But most importantly is the mountain of wash waiting for me. I have no idea how 2 people can generate so much, but believe me - it will take the better part of tomorrow to get through it. Oh my life is so exciting. :rotfl2:

I hope your weekends are just as exciting. :cool1:

WFDT ~ Grilled Rib eyes, cheesy potatoes, and a kitchen sink salad.

Make it a great day my friends.

I never underestimate the amount of laundry any one person can create. :lmao:

I hope today is better :hug:

Ellen, my weekend is just as exciting as yours :laughing: This homebody needs lame weekends like that every once in awhile so I'm thankful for it.

I've taken on the HUGE task of reorganizing my entire spice cabinet. I'm stoked about it, but it's taking a long time. I'll post pics/details when I finish! Hopefully, this weekend will bring that to an end.

I need to make a menu plan and get to the store - maybe today. Dinner is up in the air. We went to Chili's last night.

Our spice cabinet is a mess!!! Although we did throw out the decades old spices that were somewhere in the back of it this spring. :lmao:

I :lovestruc Chili's!

Well, the bad news here, just continues. It's time to replace our furnace. I tried to turn it on yesterday morning, and nothin'! Alan called a guy to come check our light, and it turns out that we have a huge crack in the furnace, that makes it illegal for them to fix it. This must be our time of trial. I'm hoping that Alan has some idea tucked away, because with the purchase of the washing machine, his tuition for grad school, and now a new furnace, our Christmas is looking pretty bleak! I'm just grateful that he got the wood burning stove installed. We may all be huddled around that this winter. Grrr!

Dinner tonight is tuna salad.

Oh honey. :hug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Friday!!!

Thank goodness!!! :teeth:

This weekend we're going to clean a bit and take the doggies for their shots. Other than that, it's REST!!!!

Tonight's dinner was taco pie.

Taco Pie

315956_2408049410223_1520824968_32522935_1254317984_n.jpg

1 container crescent rolls
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
1 cup sour cream
1-2 cups shredded mexican cheese
1 lb. ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
Taco fixings: diced onion, diced tomatoes, taco sauce, etc.

Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning as directed. Spread crescent rolls in bottom of 9x13 pan. Top with 1/2 of crushed chips. Spread browned and seasoned meat on top of crescents and chips. Spread sour cream on top of meat evenly. Top with desired amount of cheese and rest of chips. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with taco fixings of your choice. Easy and YUMMY!

Well I've been lurking here for a little while, we've been really busy driving up and back to Central CA. I had a big post all prepared that I was working on since yesterday and the DIS ate it! :headache:

So I'm just going to jump back in. Sorry that I can't go back and remember what everyone has been up to!

WFD? We're going to a local dive (bar) restaurant that makes wonderful all inclusive dinners. Relish plate, soup, salad, entree and little cup of custard for dessert. Tonight is Rib Eye night for $12.95! :woohoo:

It's Saturday noontime over here.

The boys have headed out for the day and I went to the Vic Market this morning. I think I headed out all of an hour earlier than DH and DS. When I came, the house looked like a bomb had hit it. Looking like a spot of cleaning is the order of my afternoon.

WFDT? I'm thinking of cooking some fried rice. DS mentioned he wanted sushi for dinner tonight....and I don't feel much like raw fish, rice and seaweed tonight. So, I might just cook up some vegetarian fried rice...just realised that I have a heap of 'older' veg still in the fridge that would need to be cooked up this weekend....and see if that will do instead.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Hot Cider

Here's another one of those items for the Fall photography scavenger hunt!!! :rolleyes:

My starting ingredients:

2011October15HotCider006.jpg

I made this on a small scale. You could scale up the ingredients to match the amount of cider used.

• Apple Cider, 330 ml
  • Brown Sugar, 2 tablespoon
  • Ginger, 1 slice
  • Orange peel
  • Cloves, 6 (which I used to stud the orange peel)
  • Cinnamon, 1 stick
  • All Spice powder, 1 teaspoon

Place all ingredients into a pot.

2011October15HotCider009.jpg

Heat and gently simmer for 20 minutes to let all the flavours infuse.

2011October15HotCider012.jpg

Serve hot. Enjoy!

2011October15HotCider021.jpg

princess::upsidedow

Kat- I love shopping and packing for a trip. It is the part that makes me feel like the trip is almost here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky- I like to cook but you LOVE to cook! And it shows when you share your photos, they are mouthwatering!

Marilyn- you are going to need to go back to work just to rest up from teh weekend :upsidedow

Glynis- when it rains it just pours :hug: I hope that you all find a solution.

PIO- I make a version of your hot cider every Fall time. And always on Halloween.I think my mulled cider is the reason the kids stop in ;) Anyway- did you love it??????

Ladies, I want to tell you all about my very impressive dinner last night. I had....

a bowl of Annies macaroni and cheese! :rotfl:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Well I've been lurking here for a little while, we've been really busy driving up and back to Central CA.

WFD? We're going to a local dive (bar) restaurant that makes wonderful all inclusive dinners. Relish plate, soup, salad, entree and little cup of custard for dessert. Tonight is Rib Eye night for $12.95! :woohoo:

YUM!!!

I am not sure about dinner tonight. Buddy is working and I still have the pesky cold so after I get the house in order a bit and have another cup of coffee i will think about it

Well today is the big hair cut day. I hope to have 10 inches chopped off. I don't know if I mentioned it before but I am donating my hair. It seems like such a small thing that may help someone. At least I hope so.

This week has been so busy I seem to have gotten lost.:confused3 It seems like sometimes life goes into overdrive and I am left in the dust.

This morning is my haircut then a bunch of errands. One of which is Whole foods. I will see what looks good. Next weekend I am having friends over and am making Paella. I need to find some spices for that.

I will try to get back on tonight and catch up with everyone.

Well I've been lurking here for a little while, we've been really busy driving up and back to Central CA. I had a big post all prepared that I was working on since yesterday and the DIS ate it! :headache:

So I'm just going to jump back in. Sorry that I can't go back and remember what everyone has been up to!

Hope you had a great time. Dinner sounds yummy! And love the price! :goodvibes

It's Saturday noontime over here.

The boys have headed out for the day and I went to the Vic Market this morning. I think I headed out all of an hour earlier than DH and DS. When I came, the house looked like a bomb had hit it. Looking like a spot of cleaning is the order of my afternoon.

WFDT? I'm thinking of cooking some fried rice. DS mentioned he wanted sushi for dinner tonight....and I don't feel much like raw fish, rice and seaweed tonight. So, I might just cook up some vegetarian fried rice...just realised that I have a heap of 'older' veg still in the fridge that would need to be cooked up this weekend....and see if that will do instead.

Have a good weekend everyone.

If I say I want sushi too, can we have some? :lmao:

PIO- I make a version of your hot cider every Fall time. And always on Halloween.I think my mulled cider is the reason the kids stop in ;) Anyway- did you love it??????

You give it to trick or treaters? I'd be stopping too!

Well today is the big hair cut day. I hope to have 10 inches chopped off. I don't know if I mentioned it before but I am donating my hair. It seems like such a small thing that may help someone. At least I hope so.

This week has been so busy I seem to have gotten lost.:confused3 It seems like sometimes life goes into overdrive and I am left in the dust.

This morning is my haircut then a bunch of errands. One of which is Whole foods. I will see what looks good. Next weekend I am having friends over and am making Paella. I need to find some spices for that.

I will try to get back on tonight and catch up with everyone.

I think it's wonderful that you're donating your hair. And although it may be a small thing to you, it is not to the person who benefits from your kindness. :hug:

While you're at Whole Foods, can you pick me up some of the pasta salad with kalamatas, feta and herbs? ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good morning! I'm up. Thanks to Tooter, who has apparently decided that 7:30 is my wake-up call time. She wants to be petted and then she likes to pretend that all of my appendages are trying to attack her from under the sheets, and she bites at me. :rolleyes:

Today we're taking the doggies to get their shots in the town over. There's a kitchen store there. I may try to drag, errrrr, talk UncleR into making a stop.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Tonight's dinner is autumn salad, which is a recipe I found on pinterest. :banana: I'll post reviews, recipe and pics later.

Ellen – Isn’t it crazy how our weekends revolve around football? For us, it’s a two day affair because we have LSU and the Saints. We haven’t had a bye for either yet. I get so much accomplished when there isn’t a game, I’m sure you will too!

Merle – Your weekend sounds exhausting!

Aimee – I can’t wait to see what you’ve done with your spices!

Glynis – Sorry about the furnace.:hug:

Nan – I hope you’re feeling better.

Jen – Thanks for thinking of me. I’m getting a little better each day.:hug:

Janice – I want to see you with your new hair, please post a pic!!!!! I think it's awesome that you've done this for someone.:hug:

WFD - Nan's seared scallop scampi over angel hair pasta and a caeser salad.

Morning everyone....

I fly home today, I have had fun at work and see friends and family from my old home town, but I miss my DH and my pillows.... ha-ha:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter