The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Well we made it back from Florida without getting hit too hard by Gordon.
Now back to the daily grind until next weekend. :)

How is everyone else?

We made it back from Florida too, but that was last weekend. Now we're getting ready to drive to Phoenix. It's only going to be 105-108 this weekend. :eek:

Thanks for reviving this thread! I just posted that we came back from Florida in my last post and we're back in Florida now! :laughing:

...where was this taken? But most important: WHAT WAS FOR DINNER? :teeth:

Well geez, this was forever ago, it was taken at Kings Fish House in Long Beach. Brandi had Shrimp in BBQ Sauce, I remember that because I'd never noticed it on the menu. David had the Salmon. I most likely had Mahi Mahi with Mac n cheese and spinach, cause that's what I always get there and I'm gonna guess Fran had a Shrimp and Crab Louie Salad.

....what's "cowboy" shepard's pie? :confused3

1 pound white potatoes
1 pound sweet potatoes

Boiled and mashed together. Add 4 tbl of butter salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Can add milk too if needed. Set aside

Preheat oven to 350

In 2 tbls veg oil cook one large onion chopped and 1 pound of sliced mushrooms for 5 -7min
Add 2 pounds of ground beef. When beef is browned add 1 cup of beef stock and salt and pepper to taste. (I cook the liquid down some)
In 9 inch oven safe pan layer the beef mixture and top with the mashed potato mixture. Dot with butter and cook for 45 min until heated through and top os lightly browned.

My grandmother gave this recipe to me and this is exactly how she wrote it :)

....sounds hearty....like comfort food.

Yes nothing better then coming in from sledding on a cold Maine winter day at grammy's house and smelling that cooking. I hated mushrooms as a kid so I picked them out but now I like them. I have no idea why it is called cowboy shepherd's pie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter