The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Alison - "Let's Make it Easy" seems like a great theme for October. I'll be really interested to find out what everyone else does and considers easy.

It's a full-on week for me too. Life just seems to get faster and faster. Is it the same for everyone else as well?

That's a great idea! When I said that it was just plea, but I like that you have turned it into a "motto". We can all post our "go-to" easy dishes for the last weekend of October!

I think its that "last quarter of the year momentum". And it just gets crazier as the holidays begin to approach. I have my parents arriving in less than a week. The house is coming along, but still we have our work cut out for us! Then we have to finish moving out of the other place, and have an estate sale. Then major renovations begin. At least we have another project for Gale to keep him busy. Our longest term tenant is moving out of the front house at 1st Street. The house has not been done ever. It has 1950 baby blue counters in the kitchen.

Ellen - thanks for clarifying your location. I'll look on a map. Funny you say that 150 miles is two hours away. Here 50 miles could be two hours away depending on time of day and year.

Brandi - you have given me a great idea for September. I've always wanted to make tomato soup from scratch. I was figuring that I'd make John Wayne's cheese casserole. Perhaps I'll do both. Or maybe II'll do tomato soup and grilled cheese.

....what was for dinner last night? Reservations at one of our favorite restaurants - Paisano's !! :cool1:

That's a great idea! When I said that it was just plea, but I like that you have turned it into a "motto". We can all post our "go-to" easy dishes for the last weekend of October!

I think its that "last quarter of the year momentum". And it just gets crazier as the holidays begin to approach. I have my parents arriving in less than a week. The house is coming along, but still we have our work cut out for us! Then we have to finish moving out of the other place, and have an estate sale. Then major renovations begin. At least we have another project for Gale to keep him busy. Our longest term tenant is moving out of the front house at 1st Street. The house has not been done ever. It has 1950 baby blue counters in the kitchen.

Ellen - thanks for clarifying your location. I'll look on a map. Funny you say that 150 miles is two hours away. Here 50 miles could be two hours away depending on time of day and year.

Brandi - you have given me a great idea for September. I've always wanted to make tomato soup from scratch. I was figuring that I'd make John Wayne's cheese casserole. Perhaps I'll do both. Or maybe II'll do tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Glad I could provide some inspiration! :hug:

dinner last night was roasted asparagus, fresh tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, and fresh bell peppers. David had grilled pork chop with his...

I know these are not very inventive, but they are easy and all the summer time veggies are just so darn good.

As fall approaches I hope to be making more soups, almost all summer I have had veggie soup for lunch.

I make the veggie stock from all the veggies piece left over from the week.
Then add beans, veggies, and barley... Done and reheat everyday for lunch. Makes it super easy too.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Soggy soggy Wednesday,

Kim ~ Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Kim,
Happy Birthday to you!!
You should feel very privileged as I don't sing to just anybody. :rotfl2:

Brandi ~ I think your meals sound wonderful. But I am one who love vegetables. I think I could be a good vegan most of the time. But I do love a good hamburger and steak once in awhile.

Alison ~ If you look at a map of the US we are actually smack dab in the middle of the country. We live North of Lexington about 5 miles. But I love living on the interstate as it makes it easier to get to places. And if anyone is driving through it is easy to meet for a cup of coffee. I bet I have met 20+ Disers that way.

I have been busy canning and freezing my bounty to get ready for winter. I have 3 different pickles, tomato juice, spaghetti sauce, salsa, beef and chicken on my shelves. This weekend I am going to do applesauce, apple butter and pie filling. Doug and I picked apples last night in the rain. I am so glad we live in the country as I know if anyone would have seen us they would have sworn we were crazy. And we probably are, but gee we had fun!!

Going to be a looooooong day today. As soon as I get off of work I am the monitor for the Multi Purpose room till 5:15 and then our Faith Friends youth group starts and I am hanging around to serve dinner to around 50 - Pre K to 5th grade children. I love this church when there are kids everywhere, but tonight is the first night and it will be a hot mess. :hyper:

WFDT ~ I am eating here and they are having sloopy joes. Doug will eat leftovers.

Make it a great day all!!

Soggy soggy Wednesday,

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Kim,
Happy Birthday to you!!

Brandi ~ I think your meals sound wonderful. But I am one who love vegetables. I think I could be a good vegan most of the time. But I do love a good hamburger and steak once in awhile.

Alison ~ If you look at a map of the US we are actually smack dab in the middle of the country. We live North of Lexington about 5 miles. But I love living on the interstate as it makes it easier to get to places. And if anyone is driving through it is easy to meet for a cup of coffee. I bet I have met 20+ Disers that way.

I have been busy canning and freezing my bounty to get ready for winter. I have 3 different pickles, tomato juice, spaghetti sauce, salsa, beef and chicken on my shelves. This weekend I am going to do applesauce, apple butter and pie filling. Doug and I picked apples last night in the rain. I am so glad we live in the country as I know if anyone would have seen us they would have sworn we were crazy. And we probably are, but gee we had fun!!

Going to be a looooooong day today. As soon as I get off of work I am the monitor for the Multi Purpose room till 5:15 and then our Faith Friends youth group starts and I am hanging around to serve dinner to around 50 - Pre K to 5th grade children. I love this church when there are kids everywhere, but tonight is the first night and it will be a hot mess. :hyper:

WFDT ~ I am eating here and they are having sloopy joes. Doug will eat leftovers.

Make it a great day all!!

Ellen, I would say that any chance you get to add more veggies and fruit to your diet, that you should, and if you eat that steak and burger and it makes you happy, then by all means keep doing it.

I do not think I will keep this lifestyle forever, but for right now it works for me. I really do feel good!

the old saying... :you are what you eat" is really hitting home for me. I can tell when I eat things that are not really good for me, and when I drink that germ killer, I can really tell.. But I will do what I want..David and I are planning our apples real soon. I will also do some pumpkin puree, I have gotten to where I really like in in cake mix instead of eggs and oil. A little different than applesauce. Almost like a spice cake.

Soggy soggy Wednesday,

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Kim,
Happy Birthday to you!!...

....thanks....and how cute are THESE...

20140909_203753_zpsc3aeef70.jpg

...my DS's GF had her cousin make them for me!

last night was roasted brussel sprouts, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers.

David had a grilled chicken breast

So ever since our crock pot cook in, mine has been very active. As I read through the cookbook looking for recipes I found lots that sounded really good. I put them on a later rotation in the menu.

Last week we had a beef roast that I seared and then added Cream of mushroom soup, sliced onions and white wine. Fran pronounced that one as "too bland". But I liked it and Darcy's family loved the leftovers. She said we can send our bland food their way anytime.

This week I had a bigger hit. I made a quarter recipe of country scalloped potatoes and ham. I sliced a potato with my mandolin, added chopped onion and ham. Then it called for a mix of country gravy packet, some cream of mushroom soup and water. I cooked it on low and it was actually done in about two hours. I suppose a larger batch would take longer to cook. Before serving I put cheddar cheese on top and let it melt. Fran ate all hers AND some of mine! There were no leftovers.

I'll be putting the crock pot away for a while. With my parents coming we will be going out and probably using the grill. Last night we went to a favorite diner in our old neighborhood for "German night". We both had the pork schnitzel with potato pancake, and we split a side of spaetzle. It was yummy!

Tonight we are having crescent dogs and caprese salad. The tomatoes from the garden are starting to wind Dow. Plus we have a tomato thief in the area so I'm going to have to pick them before they ripen and Le them ripen in the house!

I hope everyone has a great day. For those whom it matters, it's almost the weekend!

...what was for dinner tonight? Chicken/turkey burgers and salsa on whole wheat buns with corn on the cob.....

Soggy soggy Wednesday,

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Kim,
Happy Birthday to you!!

....no offense, but that was REALLY off-key...

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

Ellen - Stay dry. I hope that you're okay. Your bounty sounds great.

Brandi - I'm in awe! You're doing great making everything from scratch.

Kimmar - did those cookies taste as good as they look?

Alison - Great crock pot meals.

Busy week at work! :faint:
Thank goodness it's Friday night.

What's for dinner tonight? I got some pork and stir fried it with onions, tomato and snow peas; then added a sauce of hoi sin, soy and tomato sauce. It was really delicious.

So ever since our crock pot cook in, mine has been very active. As I read through the cookbook looking for recipes I found lots that sounded really good. I put them on a later rotation in the menu.

Last week we had a beef roast that I seared and then added Cream of mushroom soup, sliced onions and white wine. Fran pronounced that one as "too bland". But I liked it and Darcy's family loved the leftovers. She said we can send our bland food their way anytime.

This week I had a bigger hit. I made a quarter recipe of country scalloped potatoes and ham. I sliced a potato with my mandolin, added chopped onion and ham. Then it called for a mix of country gravy packet, some cream of mushroom soup and water. I cooked it on low and it was actually done in about two hours. I suppose a larger batch would take longer to cook. Before serving I put cheddar cheese on top and let it melt. Fran ate all hers AND some of mine! There were no leftovers.

I'll be putting the crock pot away for a while. With my parents coming we will be going out and probably using the grill. Last night we went to a favorite diner in our old neighborhood for "German night". We both had the pork schnitzel with potato pancake, and we split a side of spaetzle. It was yummy!

Tonight we are having crescent dogs and caprese salad. The tomatoes from the garden are starting to wind Dow. Plus we have a tomato thief in the area so I'm going to have to pick them before they ripen and Le them ripen in the house!

I hope everyone has a great day. For those whom it matters, it's almost the weekend!

Alison, sounds like you were enjoying the crock pot. has yours every not sealed and lost all of the water/moisture? It seems mine does all the time, so I stopped using it. I thought about trying foil or something over the pot before the lid to see if it would help, but again it is in the back of the cabinet!

Ellen - Stay dry. I hope that you're okay. Your bounty sounds great.

Brandi - I'm in awe! You're doing great making everything from scratch.

Kimmar - did those cookies taste as good as they look?

Alison - Great crock pot meals.

Busy week at work! :faint:
Thank goodness it's Friday night.

What's for dinner tonight? I got some pork and stir fried it with onions, tomato and snow peas; then added a sauce of hoi sin, soy and tomato sauce. It was really delicious.

Thanks PIO - To me it is the only way I can be sure what is in it...

I am glad it is Friday also!

We are going to a concert tonight to see Billy Currington. We used one of his song as my first dance song with David at our wedding. So tonight should be lots of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQfE2Oi6Wo

Morning Girls,

Kim ~ :rotfl2: I know!!! That is why they don't let me even sing in the Church choir. But it was the thought that counts. :rotfl:

Alison ~ Your crockpot meals sound good to me. I keep mine out all year round. Mine is old and I hope it never quits or get broke, because everyone I know that has a new one says it doesn't cook right - too hot, lets moisture out or doesn't cook at all. Mine is perfect and I love to come home to dinner ready and the minute I step out of the car I can smell it.
Are your ready for your parents to arrive? I hope you all have a great time.

Brandi ~ I totally agree with you - We are what we eat. I so can tell when I eat something processed. I try so hard to make everything we eat by scratch. It just is so much better for you.

PIO ~ We are so wet here. We got another 1"+ overnight, plus it is really cold. I hope you can rest over the weekend. Your week sounds busy!

We have a cold snap moving through. We even had snow in the pan handle last night. UGH!!! I am so not ready for the snow, but everyone and everything is saying we are in for a harsher winter - GREAT!!! When I got up this morning to let Cooper out the temp in the house was 61. Burrrrrr! But I refuse to turn the heat on just yet. It is suppose to be back in the 70's and even 80's later next week. I did turn the heat up in my office though and I do have my little space heater going. I am so not ready for winter yet.

Doug will be gone all weekend, as he is going to his Dads to put in a new furnace. So I have a list a mile long of things I need to do. We have been gone so much lately that my chores have really suffered. I don't like that so it will feel good to get them done. Plus I have about 10 bushels of apples to get canned. So my weekend is jam packed loaded.

WFDT ~ Pulled pork (it's in the crockpot) coleslaw and ranch potatoes.

Make it a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Morning Girls,

Kim ~ :rotfl2: I know!!! That is why they don't let me even sing in the Church choir. But it was the thought that counts. :rotfl:

Alison ~ Your crockpot meals sound good to me. I keep mine out all year round. Mine is old and I hope it never quits or get broke, because everyone I know that has a new one says it doesn't cook right - too hot, lets moisture out or doesn't cook at all. Mine is perfect and I love to come home to dinner ready and the minute I step out of the car I can smell it.
Are your ready for your parents to arrive? I hope you all have a great time.

Brandi ~ I totally agree with you - We are what we eat. I so can tell when I eat something processed. I try so hard to make everything we eat by scratch. It just is so much better for you.

PIO ~ We are so wet here. We got another 1"+ overnight, plus it is really cold. I hope you can rest over the weekend. Your week sounds busy!

We have a cold snap moving through. We even had snow in the pan handle last night. UGH!!! I am so not ready for the snow, but everyone and everything is saying we are in for a harsher winter - GREAT!!! When I got up this morning to let Cooper out the temp in the house was 61. Burrrrrr! But I refuse to turn the heat on just yet. It is suppose to be back in the 70's and even 80's later next week. I did turn the heat up in my office though and I do have my little space heater going. I am so not ready for winter yet.

Doug will be gone all weekend, as he is going to his Dads to put in a new furnace. So I have a list a mile long of things I need to do. We have been gone so much lately that my chores have really suffered. I don't like that so it will feel good to get them done. Plus I have about 10 bushels of apples to get canned. So my weekend is jam packed loaded.

WFDT ~ Pulled pork (it's in the crockpot) coleslaw and ranch potatoes.

Make it a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Ellen, good luck with your To-Do list. I find when David is gone, that I tend to watch the shows he does not like, take long baths, read books/Magazines, and generally I don't get anything done, but enjoy my "me" time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter