The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Sunday morning and it's Father's Day here. We're heading out for lunch with the family to celebrate.

WFDT? I have that marrow bone broth that I made. And then after it was ready, I've turned it into a soup with diced carrot, leek and celery. If we have a large lunch today, it will be perfect for dinner.

Have a great day everyone.

I made the ham tonight with Israeli cous cous and some zucchini from the garden. Yummy!

PrincessInOz said:
YAY! Good for you. Well done. I trust there are no major post-launch issues?

None, I just got another problem project. It seems I am now the fixer.

EJ4Disney said:
Hi Girls,

I was back to work yesterday, but you all know how that first day back is.....I was swamped!! I have tried to read back but really just think I will jump in.

We had a really nice few days off. We really didn't "do" much but just not having to go in to work was heaven. On Tuesday I had a Dr. appointment, then we went for breakfast and home to work. Wednesday we puttered around and around noon headed for the State Fair. We had a ball and didn't get home till almost midnight. Thursday we again puttered around and left for Lincoln around 1. We met Matthew at his apartment then went for dinner. Came back and watched football. Friday Doug and I cleaned and did Matthew's wash. He has a 2 bedroom both with bathrooms. He told me when he moved in that our bedroom and bath was up to us, and boy did he mean it. He keeps the rest of the apt. good but I needed to get in there and really clean, this way I don't have to lift a finger the rest of the season. :cool1: Saturday was the Husker game and we won!! Yea!! Sunday we all went back to the State Fair and Marty, Stephanie and Lilly met us. We had so much fun. Doug and I had tickets to the Brently Gilbert concert so at 7:30 we said goodbye. The concert was good and we were home in our own beds by midnight. Monday we did NOTHING.....I mean nothing. Perfect way to end vacation.

Today is my last day again. So yesterday was really busy and today/tonight all activities start back up here at the church. My quiet time is over. ;) Tomorrow we are working on the bedroom and on Friday we will again head to Lincoln.

I did my crockpot meal on Saturday. It was so neat that after the game was over we went back to the apt. and when we walked in the front door it smelled the whole complex up. :rotfl2: Here is what I fixed:

I took 4 frozen chicken breasts and laid them in the bottom of the crockpot. Place a slice of cheese on top of each breast (we like swiss and provolone, but you can use anything you prefer). On top of that place one can of cream soup, (I used cream of mushroom, you can use whatever you like) on top of that put one box of stove top dressing (any flavor you like) and the melt 1 stick of butter and drizzle over the top. Place the heat on low for 8 hours. It was so good.

WFDT ~ Grilled sirloins, asparagus, summer squash and zucchini in my grill rack, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. YUM!!

Make it a great day!!

Ellen, you had a busy fun filled vacation didn't you? So glad you are having so much fun and enjoying life it just makes it all worth it!

Yesterday we watched football all day. Alabama played at noon and Texas a&m played at 7:30 but we had a two hour lighting delay. So we ended up eating at the greene turtle, it is a sports bar where we were watching the game.

My Crock Pot Meal

I had a slight dilemma with this meal. When I woke up last Saturday, my crock pot was still at the old house. As much as I really meant to go get it in the days before the day to cook the meal, we were just too busy. The morning to cook the meal arrived and I didn’t have my crock pot nor did I have a meal to cook in it. I had found a book of crock pot recipes, so I quickly scanned it for something that I could start around noon. I found a few recipes that sounded good and so I was off to the old house and the store to get my dinner started.

Here’s my ingredients.

I actually made a half recipe.

• ½ a polska kielbasa
  • 2 cups Sauerkraut
  • 1 tbl brown sugar
  • Half an onion, sliced
  • 2 strips of bacon cut into lardons

Rinse the sauerkraut

Put it in the bottom of the crockpot

Slice onion, bacon and kielbasa

Add to the pot

Cook on low for 3-5 hours

My dinner!

Fran and I both agreed that this was somewhat pointless to be made in the crock pot, the sausage didn’t need to cook for that long, but the sauerkraut came out nicely. Live and learn.

....WFDT? Filet mignon on the grill, sliced red potatoes tossed in garlic, parmesan cheese, and EVOO, broccoli, and a salad....

....WFD on Tuesday? I have no idea, but I can tell you this much - I am NOT gonna cook on my birthday! :mad:

I made the ham tonight with Israeli cous cous and some zucchini from the garden. Yummy!

....we have one more large zucchini and the tomatoes are just about finished....however, my pumpkin patch is going strong! :thumbsup2

....we have one more large zucchini and the tomatoes are just about finished....however, my pumpkin patch is going strong! :thumbsup2

Our tomatoes seem to be finished too. They keep growing, but won't ripen. I've been putting them on the window sill to ripen. I will not miss having to water the garden when it's done.

We're going OUT for dinner! Nothing fancy, but it means I don't have to cook!

Alison - Nice looking meal. I agree....hardly seems worth putting that one into the crockpot.

Brandi - Another problem child? *sigh*

Ellen - I've been taking a look at our equivalent of the 401K here and wondering when we will have enough. The question is.....how much is enough??? :confused3

Kimmar - Will you have pumpkins? Sounds like a bountiful garden this year all round.

In my winter garden. My cabbage is looking good and I think I can harvest 4 or 5 heads soon. Carrots are all crooked; celery ended up being rather sad. But we've had tons of snow peas, kale and broccoli. :thumbsup2

WFDT? Homemade burgers.

Have a great day all.

Alison, I can understand the meal not needing the crock pot, but at least you prepared the crock pot meal, which I did not do.... I am so not doing good at this, are you guys going to let me stay in the group when I don't cook my monthly meals?

PIO, Yes, another problem child... So I did my job well and they believe in me that I can do it again, but it sure would be nice to have an easy project every once in awhile.

All, I hope you have an amazing day and are enjoying life!

Of course you can stick around, Brandi! We made this one easy for you. September we prepare something vegetarian.

So what will we do for October? PIO will be just back from her trip where we visit and I will be getting ready for my next vacation. Let's make it easy!

Easy is always good!

Vegetarian is always good

I Made a super easy Vegan Tomato soup this weekend, with the left over 1/2 bushel of tomatoes... 28 pounds... Uggh

Steam tomatoes, remove skin, and core, blend 28oz,
Saute a whole medium onion, and 3 cloves or garlic in a sauce pan, add 1Tbs sugar, 1/2 tsp thyme, S&P, pour tomatoes in, and add 1/2 cup coconut milk, or Almond milk, heat and serve....

So I made 7 batches and froze 6 of them and we ate one of them for lunch on Sunday.

:)

Happy Monday Girls,

I am totally swamped today so this is going to be short.

Alison ~ We are 150 miles from Lincoln. We live right on Interstate 80, so exit to exit (if we don't stop) is exactly 2 hours. But it will then take us about 20 minutes to drive on in to Matthew's apartment.

Kim ~ UH NO...........shame on you :lmao: We do play Rutgers here in Lincoln on October 25. Them there are fightin' words here in NEbraska!! :rotfl2:

Brandi ~ Take it as a compliment girlfriend. You must be good to always fix the problems. :thumbsup2

PIO ~ Happy Father's Day to DH.
I agree, I saw a commercial the other day that scared the beegeebers out of me. "How do you go from saving to spending." Scary thought, We really feel we will be ok. We have been saving poor for many years.

We had a great fun weekend. But darn they always go way to fast and of course I am back at work today. It is going to be real hard to work a full week. The last 2 weeks have been a lot of fun. :p

WFDT ~ Lemon Shrimp pasta, garlic bread and sliced tomatoes.

Make it a great day!

Brandi - You don't need to cook the monthly meals if you don't want to. I hope the problem child turns out to be less of a problem this time round.

Alison - "Let's Make it Easy" seems like a great theme for October. I'll be really interested to find out what everyone else does and considers easy.

Ellen - Hope that you aren't too swamped and that things are working out for you.

It's a full-on week for me too. Life just seems to get faster and faster. Is it the same for everyone else as well?

WFDT? Baked potatoes.

Morning Girls,

PIO ~ Thanks for the kind words. It is just a really busy time of year with everything starting back up and everyone wanting it done now!! And yes time seems to be flying by. The weeks just fly - I can't believe that in a little over 3 months it will be Christmas. :faint:

Kim ~ :duck: :rotfl2:

:wave: to everyone else. I hope you all are just busy. It is that time of year.

We are under a sever thunderstorm warning as I type. It is pitch dark out, even the street lights are one. It is a real slow mover though. So far we haven't gotten anything but it sure look ominous out.

Have any of you tried the new flavors of chips? The cappuccino flavor is not my favorite, but I do like the Mango salsa and Bacon Mac & Cheese. I also found a baked potato and cheese that is really good also. Doesn't take much to excite me huh? :p

WFDT ~ Roast beef paninis, sliced tomatoes (they are dwindling fast) and new chips.

Make it a great day all!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter