The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

WFDT?

Pork Chops in a Raspberry vinaigrette and spinach. Not sure what I'll do about a starch. I have to stop and pick up the whipping cream and fresh rosemary at Trader Joes and if I see something I like I might get that. They do have a nice and easy mushroom risotto....

You inspired me! Last night we had grilled pork chops in a balsamic vinaigrette with corn and salad. YUM!

It's Friday night. Thank goodness this week is over.

WFDT? I caved and went with fish and chips from our local seafood shop. I know.....lots of calories but it was so delicious!

OMG! I love a good fish and chips! We have a craft brewery close by with a restaurant. Outside of a little shack on the Cape, I have never had fried fish that was so good. Now I want fish and chips for dinner, LOL!
Pio- get some rest thsi weekend so you can face the week ahead!

Well my week at work has been interesting. You know I am "the" payroll department in a very small office, so as my employer has been out networkign and bringing new clients in, I am getting busier. They all are coming in with payroll! YAY! For me but holy cow! My office looks like a bomb went off inside there! I think it is only a matter of time that I have to schedule myself for one extra day every week, and not for taking over the quickbooks service we offer our clients. Oh well.

But news on the Aruba vacation. It's a go!!!! I am so excited! Dan was able to switch his December vacation with a coworker who had our selected week off, so I approached John with my plan. He did not even blink but said GO!!!!!! We will work it all out. I told him that it was a logistical issue, and he said he was well aware of the challenges, but GO!!!!!!!! I love my job!

So, it has been 25 years since we have been to Aruba, (less for Dan and Erica, they honeymooned there and for a while used their timeshare), so some preplanning is in order. I am farming most of that out to Marisa, Erica, and Kady. Well Kady after finals. Marisa told me if I add a research project to her now her head will explode!
We did book an all inclusive with concierge level because I do not want to worry about food, beverages, or anything else. Our suite has a hot tub on the balcony, so since I have not been able to afford a bungalow at the Poly so I could watch the fireworks in my private sunken pool with my glass of wine in hand, I plan on this being the next best thing!

View attachment 241707 MIchelle- Welcome aboard! It sounds like you have a lot going on in your family and that is awesome!! My DH cousin married a lovely woman who was older than he was and it is a wonderful marriage! I think tha tmany times when we have "nontraditional" relationships we think we are alone. Nope!

I do hope that we can share some recipes. I am in a rut and even though my Sweetie says he will eat anything....he will not! LOL!

Tonight we are having a grilled steak, green salad and haricots verts.

I am in a snit lately.I am wicked busy at work, and I like that, but now Bud is in full on tobacco season, and it really is not going smoothly. Right now I am drowning my sorrows in a glass of wine while Bud and Dan pick up plants. I was grilled up an down but a temp while I was at work today, and I am peevish. I do not negotiate the rate I pay, dont care to answer questions about "where is your greenhouse?", and since I made it clear from the getgo you are setting.....if you "know all there is to know about tobacco" you know what that means. Your job if you choose to accept is is to park your carcass on a setter and put plants in the fingers. And then set skips...which if you really know what you tell me you know...there will be very few of. I am trying to be supportive, but I have already decided if this goes badly this weekend we are going to get the heck out of Dodge.

I am not sure what will happen, but I do know that since this is one of Kady's SAE's again this year, he will follow thorough for a bit, but I am truly not looking forward to anything else but him and Kady...and Daniel.... on the farm.
Nancy sorry to hear about work and the farm issues, I hope it all works out the best way, even if it means the temp is gone!
I love farming season, but I can honestly say that it is hard work and I really can't imagine the scale you guys operate on.

BTW it was great talking to you and getting the voice with the face! One of these days we will have to meet in person.

PIO- LOLOLOLOL!

Pineapple upside down cake martinis:
1/2 cup vanilla vodka
1/2 cup pineapple vodka
1 cup pineapple juice

Shake in a ice filled shaker ( I used a protein shake container LOL!)
Strain into a glass (I made Buddy's in a mason jar)
Add grenadine slowly

16oz martini is my kind of martini! too bad I am allergic to pineapple :(

You inspired me! Last night we had grilled pork chops in a balsamic vinaigrette with corn and salad. YUM!

OMG! I love a good fish and chips! We have a craft brewery close by with a restaurant. Outside of a little shack on the Cape, I have never had fried fish that was so good. Now I want fish and chips for dinner, LOL!

Well my week at work has been interesting. You know I am "the" payroll department in a very small office, so as my employer has been out networkign and bringing new clients in, I am getting busier. They all are coming in with payroll! YAY! For me but holy cow! My office looks like a bomb went off inside there! I think it is only a matter of time that I have to schedule myself for one extra day every week, and not for taking over the quickbooks service we offer our clients. Oh well.

But news on the Aruba vacation. It's a go!!!! I am so excited! Dan was able to switch his December vacation with a coworker who had our selected week off, so I approached John with my plan. He did not even blink but said GO!!!!!! We will work it all out. I told him that it was a logistical issue, and he said he was well aware of the challenges, but GO!!!!!!!! I love my job!

So, it has been 25 years since we have been to Aruba, (less for Dan and Erica, they honeymooned there and for a while used their timeshare), so some preplanning is in order. I am farming most of that out to Marisa, Erica, and Kady. Well Kady after finals. Marisa told me if I add a research project to her now her head will explode!
We did book an all inclusive with concierge level because I do not want to worry about food, beverages, or anything else. Our suite has a hot tub on the balcony, so since I have not been able to afford a bungalow at the Poly so I could watch the fireworks in my private sunken pool with my glass of wine in hand, I plan on this being the next best thing!
Aruba aruba aruba....

Sounds awesome! I am excited for you both, this should be great!

Hi Brandi!!! Our farm is small, and that is a major part of our problem. BEcause we are a little farm we cannot hire permanent employees, we are not first in line for supplies, etc. But we knew this when we started it, and while I am more acce;ting of this than Buddy, even he realizes the reality we agreed to. I am pretty happy this setting season though. The guys are setting as I type, and it is going well. We will be done today. Bud is really aggressive in his mold control, and I hope that in doing so our crop is safe. Blue mold was found in a greenhouse in PA this week, and that means that there are infected plants out there. If they made it into the ground that mold will work its way around. I do not want it hitting us!!!

I am not cooking tonight. I went to a graduation luncheon, so I will not want to eat. I' ll give Bud sandwiches or hotdogs.

I talked to my DDIL today about Aruba. Turns out my oldest is not good at sharing info and this was the first she had heard about the trip. SHe is going to see if her family will understand if they postpone their trip at Christmas. If so they will join us. This will be the first time we all can vacation as an entire family. I called to check teh cost of a room but I did nto like the lady I spoke to, so I will wait until Anna confirms they will join us then I will call and book for them.

Sounds great! I ended up with Israeli cous cous with ours we have leftovers.

If so they will join us. This will be the first time we all can vacation as an entire family.

Sounds like an exciting trip. I can't wait to make solid plans for a trip!

We are about to watch a special showing of 20,000 leagues under the Sea, I'm not sure if we'll get home in time for me to cook a full blown dinner. Besides Fran is eating popcorn (which she's not supposed to have). The last two times she ate it, she felt sick afterwards. I'm sort of planning to eat Wednesday night's leftover Chicken Vesuvius.

Good Morning ladies (and gents if we have any) I normally post my dinner for a week a time as that is just easier for me. This week my crew consists of me, Hub, DS and my Dad (Tue, Wed and Thurs nights) and my mom (Wed Night)

Tonight - meatball subs for the boys and sautéed zucchini noodles for me - this is a first for me hope I like me
Tuesday - Cheeseburger Quesidilla's for all (mine on low carb wrap)
Wednesday - Chicken on the grill, knorr rice sides and green beans -- we now have a wake to attend so this might change to eating out.
Thursday - Sausage, onion & pepper subs with FF or Tots
Friday - always pizza night sometimes order out sometimes frozen
Saturday - eat out
Sunday - father's day cookout at the in-laws

Last edited:
. Besides Fran is eating popcorn (which she's not supposed to have). The last two times she ate it, she felt sick afterwards. I'm sort of planning to eat Wednesday night's leftover Chicken Vesuvius.

We must have a chat with Miss Fran!

Dinner last night was really fun. My neighbors boy graduated Saturday, and I went to a light pizza and cake luncheon with them before he was released from his chains of family obligation. I was way too filled up to have dinner so I ate cheezie poofs. YUM!!! Anyway, these are my "neighbor night" neighbors and my friend was really feeling her son's graduation so I invited them to join Bud and me for an appetizer type night. We had baby back ribs, my Italian wings and macaroni salad. Add crusty French bread and butter and half sour pickles, and YUM! (My "last" supper! LOL!)

So today is my official eat healthy start. It is going but not well. I have planned grilled chicken breast, salad. and however many veggies it takes to keep me out of the freezer and the ice cream that insists on calling me.

Well for us, everything worked out different than planned.

Sat. Fran didn't feel sick so we went with the planned dinner of Beef ribs, baked beans and corn on the cob.

When I was at the store Saturday they had Sea Bass on sale for $13.99 a lb. So we had that for Sunday night dinner with steamed cabbage and hash brown potatoes.

Tonight dinner will be Frito Pie. One of Fran's favorites!

We must have a chat with Miss Fran

Well she may have had a point, the popcorn Saturday was from a different theater, and it didn't make her sick, so she can't eat the popcorn from Cinemark.

So today is my official eat healthy start.

Good luck!

Allison, I just hope she is careful. If a kernel gets lodged the pain is excruciating. Your dinner sounds awesome!
I need all the luck I can get. Right now I am starving and want chocolate!

Hello ladies. DH had a few days off and now that he goes back to work tomorrow my schedule will be nice and slow lol. Tonight we had salmon, broccoli, and quinoa. Tomorrow dh is working a 12 hr shift so dd and I will have a frozen pizza and I will have salad with mine. Wednesday night is spaghetti. Thursday is some kind of chicken dish. Friday I have no idea lol. Allison, frito pie sounds good can you share the recipe? Nancy hang in there you can do it!

Well our dinnerwas an explosion of sorts. Since I was so hungry when I got home, and since Bud wanted to go check his plants to see it they were still standing after the heat of the day, I fired up the grill early. I put two Yoshi mats on teh grates, and popped my marinated chicken on top. Now the directions say the temp needs to be 500 degrees or less, and by the time the chicken went on it was. well those two mats, combined with some dripping marinated turned my grill into a fireball! Holy Smokes....literally!!!! I had just sat down on an outdoor chair and saw the smoke pouring our from under the hood. Buddy got the propane turned off and I got those burning mats off. OMG! I am bring those burned things back to the store. LOL! What a night!

Pooh'smate- I managed to get to bed without ice cream, but I did have a 90 calorie whole fruit bar.

Tonight will be a challenge. Today is our 25th wedding anniversary so we are going to get dinner out. We usualy do not celebrate, and never during the week, but I guess Buddy thinks 25 years marriage to me is special bliss!

I did try; but it didn't quite work out that way. In any case, I did get decent night's sleep so it's all good.

YAY for Aruba! Have fun planning.

Besides Fran is eating popcorn (which she's not supposed to have). The last two times she ate it, she felt sick afterwards.

I hope she didn't get too sick!!!

Good Morning ladies (and gents if we have any) I normally post my dinner for a week a time as that is just easier for me. This week my crew consists of me, Hub, DS and my Dad (Tue, Wed and Thurs nights) and my mom (Wed Night)

Hello. Hope your dinners worked out.

Hello ladies. DH had a few days off and now that he goes back to work tomorrow my schedule will be nice and slow lol. Tonight we had salmon, broccoli, and quinoa. Tomorrow dh is working a 12 hr shift so dd and I will have a frozen pizza and I will have salad with mine. Wednesday night is spaghetti. Thursday is some kind of chicken dish. Friday I have no idea lol. Allison, frito pie sounds good can you share the recipe? Nancy hang in there you can do it!

:wave:

Tuesday night and I seemed to have forgotten to check in yesterday. It must have been the public holiday!

So it's back to work and the grind continues. Turns out that no one else made the deadline.....so lucky us! They extended it by another week. I'm still not going to get there. And I don't think anyone else is either. Oh well.

Whats for Dinner?

I made the Chinese equivalent of paella last night. Some of you may remember that I like to do a one-pot cook of rice, chicken marinaded in dark soy, sweet soy, normal soy, ginger, salt and pepper; with chinese mushrooms, chinese sausage and sweet potato. Put it all in the rice cooker with water and it cooks itself!
As I was putting it all together, I realised that there was almost a direct correlation with Spanish paella!

Tonight - DH made the standard baked potatoes and fixin's.

Wednesday - mum's for dinner.

Thursday - take-out

Friday - I'm considering just some steamed vegies!

DH and I are thinking of doing a detox next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Brandi!!! Our farm is small, and that is a major part of our problem. BEcause we are a little farm we cannot hire permanent employees, we are not first in line for supplies, etc. But we knew this when we started it, and while I am more acce;ting of this than Buddy, even he realizes the reality we agreed to. I am pretty happy this setting season though. The guys are setting as I type, and it is going well. We will be done today. Bud is really aggressive in his mold control, and I hope that in doing so our crop is safe. Blue mold was found in a greenhouse in PA this week, and that means that there are infected plants out there. If they made it into the ground that mold will work its way around. I do not want it hitting us!!!

I am not cooking tonight. I went to a graduation luncheon, so I will not want to eat. I' ll give Bud sandwiches or hotdogs.

I talked to my DDIL today about Aruba. Turns out my oldest is not good at sharing info and this was the first she had heard about the trip. SHe is going to see if her family will understand if they postpone their trip at Christmas. If so they will join us. This will be the first time we all can vacation as an entire family. I called to check teh cost of a room but I did nto like the lady I spoke to, so I will wait until Anna confirms they will join us then I will call and book for them.
I grew up on a small farm in Texas and it is just a LOT of work. When we finally move back the plan is to have about an acre of garden and then rest will be for the goats..

We must have a chat with Miss Fran!

Dinner last night was really fun. My neighbors boy graduated Saturday, and I went to a light pizza and cake luncheon with them before he was released from his chains of family obligation. I was way too filled up to have dinner so I ate cheezie poofs. YUM!!! Anyway, these are my "neighbor night" neighbors and my friend was really feeling her son's graduation so I invited them to join Bud and me for an appetizer type night. We had baby back ribs, my Italian wings and macaroni salad. Add crusty French bread and butter and half sour pickles, and YUM! (My "last" supper! LOL!)

So today is my official eat healthy start. It is going but not well. I have planned grilled chicken breast, salad. and however many veggies it takes to keep me out of the freezer and the ice cream that insists on calling me.
I hate when my freezer calls me lol

Well for us, everything worked out different than planned.

Sat. Fran didn't feel sick so we went with the planned dinner of Beef ribs, baked beans and corn on the cob.

When I was at the store Saturday they had Sea Bass on sale for $13.99 a lb. So we had that for Sunday night dinner with steamed cabbage and hash brown potatoes.

Tonight dinner will be Frito Pie. One of Fran's favorites!

Well she may have had a point, the popcorn Saturday was from a different theater, and it didn't make her sick, so she can't eat the popcorn from Cinemark.

Good luck!
I used to eat frito pie all the time, but I cannot remember the last time I had it.

Glad Fran did not get sick! That is progress right?

Well our dinnerwas an explosion of sorts. Since I was so hungry when I got home, and since Bud wanted to go check his plants to see it they were still standing after the heat of the day, I fired up the grill early. I put two Yoshi mats on teh grates, and popped my marinated chicken on top. Now the directions say the temp needs to be 500 degrees or less, and by the time the chicken went on it was. well those two mats, combined with some dripping marinated turned my grill into a fireball! Holy Smokes....literally!!!! I had just sat down on an outdoor chair and saw the smoke pouring our from under the hood. Buddy got the propane turned off and I got those burning mats off. OMG! I am bring those burned things back to the store. LOL! What a night!

Pooh'smate- I managed to get to bed without ice cream, but I did have a 90 calorie whole fruit bar.

Tonight will be a challenge. Today is our 25th wedding anniversary so we are going to get dinner out. We usualy do not celebrate, and never during the week, but I guess Buddy thinks 25 years marriage to me is special bliss!
It is special! Congratulations and celebrating is required.

Alison, frito pie sounds good can you share the recipe?

Sure, it's kind of like nachos with fritos. I make them in individual serving dishes, but you can make one big one and serve it family style as well.

Place the fritos in an oven safe dish. Heat chili in the microwave until hot. Top the fritos with chili, shredded cheese and chopped onions. Place in oven at 400° until cheese is melted.
Top with your favorite sliced vegetables, I use lettuce and tomatoes plus sour cream but you could add peppers, guacamole or anything else you like.

Well our dinnerwas an explosion of sorts.

That sounds scary! :eek:

Today is our 25th wedding anniversary

Congratulations!

DH and I are thinking of doing a detox next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm sure Fran could use one of those bUT I'm sure she wouldn't do it.

I used to eat frito pie all the time, but I cannot remember the last time I had it.

I had not heard of it until Jen who used to hang out here mentioned it. Then Fran told me she wanted to try it. Not my favorite, but I have to have a mix of things she likes as well as things I like.

Tonight dinner will be from a drive through on the way to band. I need to figure out what I'm willing to eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts