The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Agreed. Can't wait for 2024. But willing to overlook it for another year or 2.

The funny thing is, on my last stay I mentioned this to a couple of cast members in the lobby and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I think the lack of other local DVC resorts has desensitized some to this fact.
Totally. When they see the brand new VDH they might get it. Oh... VGC is outdated and ready for rehab :-). But I mean the hotel/cash side has been updated you would notice the difference.

Totally. When they see the brand new VDH they might get it. Oh... VGC is outdated and ready for rehab :-). But I mean the hotel/cash side has been updated you would notice the difference.
Yeah, I did a stay on the hotel side in May and found the rooms a bit better appointed and fresh since they're more recently rehabbed, but once you've stayed DVC, hotel rooms are just so blah. There's so much untapped potential in these rooms, looking forward to what they can do in 24.

Yeah, I did a stay on the hotel side in May and found the rooms a bit better appointed and fresh since they're more recently rehabbed, but once you've stayed DVC, hotel rooms are just so blah. There's so much untapped potential in these rooms, looking forward to what they can do in 24.
I just want the pull down queen Murphy beds everywhere. It seems like they can pull one off in the GV living room similar to SSR. Please make it so.

I’m also wondering if the GVs will keep the pool table. It’s a nice touch, but I wonder if something else could replace it…..

Has anyone just done a resort stay at VGC? My spring break is in March and would love to try out the resort. The point charts are really high so I am wondering if it is worth just spending time at the resort instead of going to the park. We live in AZ, so we frequent DL and it is not always a necessity to go to the park.

Has anyone just done a resort stay at VGC? My spring break is in March and would love to try out the resort. The point charts are really high so I am wondering if it is worth just spending time at the resort instead of going to the park. We live in AZ, so we frequent DL and it is not always a necessity to go to the park.

As a first time visitor from this past weekend I will say it's absolutely not worth staying here just for resort time: motel quality rooms, small resort in general, and outdated pools –– no zero entry, no splash pad.

We've done non-park days that usually include brunch or a nice dinner and some cabana time or drive to the beach. Not necessarily spending time at the resort, but it's still very pleasant and relaxing. The high point usage is more about the location. There used to be other activities (not sure if they're going on right now), like an architectural tour and a scavenger hunt with a prize at the end. But there's no community hall. I would stop by the DVC office next to the gym as they give out a member gift. And if you're willing to spend the money, you could do a spa day.

We've done non-park days that usually include brunch or a nice dinner and some cabana time or drive to the beach. Not necessarily spending time at the resort, but it's still very pleasant and relaxing. The high point usage is more about the location. There used to be other activities (not sure if they're going on right now), like an architectural tour and a scavenger hunt with a prize at the end. But there's no community hall. I would stop by the DVC office next to the gym as they give out a member gift. And if you're willing to spend the money, you could do a spa day.
Thank you. I have looked into a few things we can do. I know you could do a morning exercise in the parks as well. Just thinking as it is 70 points a night in March for a 2 bedroom or 52 points for a 1 bedroom. I know there are cheaper times of the year, so seeing if the high points are worth it for March

Depends on what you're looking for. Unless you're planning to have a car, it could be a fun 2 days; after that unless you are an all-day pool person, your interests might not be fulfilled. Plenty of people attend conferences at the hotels and never go inside the parks so it wouldn't be unusual.

Depends on what you're looking for. Unless you're planning to have a car, it could be a fun 2 days; after that unless you are an all-day pool person, your interests might not be fulfilled. Plenty of people attend conferences at the hotels and never go inside the parks so it wouldn't be unusual.
Thank you for that. I am deciding to this trip or wait until the fall and hope that the VDH open and I can stay there. Don’t know which would be better.

Thank you for that. I am deciding to this trip or wait until the fall and hope that the VDH open and I can stay there. Don’t know which would be better.
:-) That would be so much fun! I'll plant a seed though, if you have points that you want to use up, consider looking at AuLani - I *know* it's a lot further away, but if you have enough lead time and perhaps airline miles (Southwest goes non-stop from PHX) you might have more fun with their resort-based stay.

As a first time visitor from this past weekend I will say it's absolutely not worth staying here just for resort time: motel quality rooms, small resort in general, and outdated pools –– no zero entry, no splash pad.

Sounds like a stay down the road at Great Wolf Lodge would be fun for you :) We did that for one of our past stays and it was really fun. Just be prepared for the strong smell of chlorine and other chemicals but you get used to it after a while and it doesn’t bother you.

For the rooms? What size room where you in that you said were bad? A studio or larger?

I can’t recall if the 2BR units in VDH will have a 3rd bathroom. That’s one of the perks of VGC, extra bathrooms similar to BLT a a few others in the DVC family. From what I see from the interior designs of VDH, they are going to be nice. So we are really looking forward to the remodel of VGC in 2024 to see how it goes.

For our ideal VGC stays we plan on spending more money than we should and just getting park hopper passes for a majority of our stay but only go “when we feel like it” to the parks and just relax. Heck, one day might just be to go on Rise of the Resistance and then go take a break in the room. The good thing is as you approach that 4th and 5th day, the tickets go down quite a bit in cost so it’s still a bit of a waist but by doing stays like this its way more relaxing.

:-) That would be so much fun! I'll plant a seed though, if you have points that you want to use up, consider looking at AuLani - I *know* it's a lot further away, but if you have enough lead time and perhaps airline miles (Southwest goes non-stop from PHX) you might have more fun with their resort-based stay.
I just went to Aulani for a few days this year so I want to wait a couple years to go back

I just have to say how enamored I am with the new entrance into DCA. From my room at Villas at Grand Californian until I was in the park I clocked at 3 mins. So convenient.

I've been trying to formulate a funny comment/joke about VGC and it's proximity to the park(s) to have some fun when the great battle of BLT/BWV/BCV/Riviera (etc.) at WDW thread comes up to talk smack about what park is the best. It's not fully refined but it goes something like this.

Now that VGC has two park gates 0 minutes walk from the resort, it's so convenient that you actually get younger by 2 days each night you stay at the resort. VGC fans/owners are trying to hide this fact from other DVC owners, less they raid the hallways of VGC with cots and sleeping bags after staying at VGC becomes known as the modern day fountain of youth......

We did last Memorial Day weekend when our AZ germs weren’t welcome in the park, lol. We had a great time all said. We did one beach day, one pool day and one day we went to a nearby museum that had the Disney Archives exhibit which was outstanding- but probably not there. We considered going to Disneys theater in LA for a movie. We did that years ago and it was great. Just blanked on the name. You could go to Splitsville one afternoon, do the scavenger hunt at GC, etc. I thino you could make a 3 night stay a fun getaway.

I've been trying to formulate a funny comment/joke about VGC and it's proximity to the park(s) to have some fun when the great battle of BLT/BWV/BCV/Riviera (etc.) at WDW thread comes up to talk smack about what park is the best. It's not fully refined but it goes something like this.

Now that VGC has two park gates 0 minutes walk from the resort, it's so convenient that you actually get younger by 2 days each night you stay at the resort. VGC fans/owners are trying to hide this fact from other DVC owners, less they raid the hallways of VGC with cots and sleeping bags after staying at VGC becomes known as the modern day fountain of youth......
I'm actually kind of nervous about transportation at WDW on our next trip because I'm so spoiled now with VGC. Even though we're doing a poly/bwv split. Like we actually have to wait for a monorail or boat while at the poly.. Even that 10 minute walk from BWV to epcot sounds kinda far now 😂

You just don't get it until you experience a quick drink at the craftsman followed by a 1 minute stroll into DCA. Or hitting up GRR at the end of a morning in the park and getting out of the wet clothes 5 minutes later (or jumping in the pool 2 minutes later).

Here is my favorite beach in So Cal -

1660027813350.png

It's in San Clemente and about 35 to 40 min away from the Grand Cal. Unlike most other beaches, this is kind of out of the way and doesn't have the normal tourist stuff. It just has a great beach that isn't rocky and it's usually never all that crowded.

Growing up the official parking was there but you had to go over the train tracks and down those rocks with no official path so it was always almost empty. But now it's more official :)

I believe that cafe is closed, but that's how you can find it easy on Google Maps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter