The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Just bought points last month and booked 2 nights for my daughters birthday for next year!

Anyone know how soon you can reserve a cabana?

Just bought points last month and booked 2 nights for my daughters birthday for next year!

Anyone know how soon you can reserve a cabana?
Not sure how soon you can book a cabana, however FYI, Member Services was able to book me Cabana #1 at the Disneyland Hotel for my Grandson's birthday! It was perfect to be right at the Monorail Pool for the little ones and fun to be able to use both Resort pools!

We are booked at VGC this January 8-12. I received a letter stating there will be construction going on, and all the pools will be closed. I'm not even sure that we would want to use a pool at that time of year, but is there resort transportation to the Disneyland Hotel from the Grand Californian if we wanted to use that pool?

It is about a .6 of mile walk between the two resorts. I don't know of any transportation between them. Did your letter say you could use the Disneyland Hotel Pool? I am not sure how that works at Disneyland compared to WDW.

We are booked at VGC this January 8-12. I received a letter stating there will be construction going on, and all the pools will be closed. I'm not even sure that we would want to use a pool at that time of year, but is there resort transportation to the Disneyland Hotel from the Grand Californian if we wanted to use that pool?

There is no "resort transportation" at DLR. The 3 hotels are within walking distance of one another.

I have used the pools in January, but I can't say that *every* January has pool weather. It was about 90 degrees out today!

It is about a .6 of mile walk between the two resorts. I don't know of any transportation between them. Did your letter say you could use the Disneyland Hotel Pool? I am not sure how that works at Disneyland compared to WDW.

There is no "resort transportation" at DLR. The 3 hotels are within walking distance of one another.

I have used the pools in January, but I can't say that *every* January has pool weather. It was about 90 degrees out today!

Thanks for the information! The letter said we could use the other pools, so I'm glad to know it's walking distance just in case we decide we want a pool day. (It probably would need to be in the 90's to sound good to me, though!) Thanks, again!

Some details about the refurbishment was recently posted to:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/grand-californian-hotel/
screen-shot-2016-11-23-at-10-54-09-am-png.207427

Please Pardon Our Pixie Dust
From January 2017 through fall 2017, it is possible that you may see and hear construction as we make improvements to Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. To minimize any disruptions, activities that may create noise will not start earlier than 9:00 AM.
  • Room refurbishments will occur from January 2017 through fall 2017.
  • The pools and poolside cabanas will be closed for refurbishment from January 2017 to spring 2017. The pools and waterslides at the Disneyland Hotel and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel will be available for your enjoyment, and poolside cabanas at Disneyland Hotel will be available for reservations.
  • The Great Hall lobby will be refurbished and access will be limited beginning June 2017 through early August 2017. Some Guest rooms will not be available during this time.
  • The Craftsman’s Club concierge lounge will be temporarily relocated from early August 2017 through early October 2017.

To learn more about these refurbishments, please call (714) 956-6425. Guests under age 18 years must have parent or guardian permission to call.

The pool information page has similar details:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/recreation/grand-californian-hotel/pools-grand-californian-hotel/
Please Pardon Our Pixie Dust
From January 2017 to spring 2017, the pools and poolside cabanas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will be closed for refurbishment. The pools and waterslides at the Disneyland Hotel and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel will be available for your enjoyment. Also, reservations for poolside cabanas at Disneyland Hotel will be available.

In addition, from June 2017 through early August 2017, the Great Hall lobby will be refurbished and access will be limited. Some rooms will not be available during this time.

It is possible that from January 2017 through fall 2017 you may see and hear construction. To minimize any disruptions, we will not start activities that may create noise until 9:00 AM.

To learn more about these refurbishments, please call (714) 956-6425. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

We own at VGC and stay there yearly (or more). We have been in all 4 seasons of the year and have used the pools and/or hot tubs every time we went. I will admit that the walk from the hot tub to the room has been cold a couple of times but still worth it.

We have been wishing for pool-hopping access for a while since the Disneyland Hotel has a great pool and slide. I would say that this is a great opportunity to get into that pool while still staying at the VGC with DVC points! (Though it will be an even longer walk back to the hotel room.)

I just returned from a wonderful visit to VGC, Nov 30 - Dec 5 :thumbsup2

There was no renovation work currently being performed anywhere at GCH, work is likely suspended during the peak holiday season and will resume in January.

BIG NEWS: Renovation of VGC is complete :cheer2:
I cannot 100% confirm all villas are done, but common areas are done.
The villa renovation is not too extensive, so it's likely all complete.

The GCH is often criticized for being too dark, and the renovation is certainly shifting to to lighter colors.

Original hallway wallpaper:
wallpaper old.jpg

New wallpaper:
wallpaper new.jpg

Old and new:
The new wallpaper is more glossy, so it appears much lighter in photos.
walpaper old and new.jpg

New (on top) and old (lower) ceiling paint:
ceiling.jpg

Old (left) and new (right) carpet:
carpet.jpg
Beautiful new carpets on the elevator landings:
elevator landing.jpg

New "welcome mat" carpets are inset into the hallways, some feature chip and dale:
chip dale carpet.jpg

The interior refurbishment replaced all "soft" goods: carpets, cushions, drapes.
Furniture has been refinished (or just touched up).

New 65" Samsung TV above the murphy bed, new carpet and cushions on stools:
(wood frame around TV has been removed)
Bedroom TV is now 50", which fits in the existing wood frame.
kitchen TV.jpg

Kitchen table with new cushions on wall, seats are vinyl:
nook.jpg

New sleeper sofa, with much better design and material.
The old sofa was too soft, causing seams to rip.
sofa.jpg
Window sheers have a nice embroidered design, and are mounted away from the window (blackout drapes are near the window):
drape sheer.jpg
Blackout shade on door balcony door. The same material is used on the blackout drapes.
drape blackout.jpg

Bed is now a platform, without a fabric skirt:
bed.jpg
USB charger on kitchen counter:
kitchen usb.jpg

Desk also has USB outlets:
desk.jpg

WiFi hardware is mounted inside the wall behind a plastic panel:
desk under.jpg

Some "electrical" changes:
  • Hardwired ethernet has been eliminated (like all WDW resorts)
  • USB power plugs in kitchen and desk
  • TV input box (with various video formats) has been removed. It might be possible to stream from phones or tablets to these new Samsung TVs (at least with Android devices).
  • No DVD players

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates @Nonsuch I was wondering about the lack of DVD players in our room a couple months ago at BCV.

When we check in, is it OK to leave the car at the front for a few minutes? We want to check in, then send kids to the room, while DH & I head directly to get groceries.

When we check in, is it OK to leave the car at the front for a few minutes? We want to check in, then send kids to the room, while DH & I head directly to get groceries.

It may be difficult. I don't think they will allow you stay there too long. When we were checking in, the front was packed with cars. There was a line of cars just waiting to pull into the loading area. We had to wait in the car 5-10 minutes for the cars in front of us to clear out.

I have left the car out front while checking in many times, then drove the car to the self-parking lot. Inform the valet you are just checking in, they may want your keys (to move your car out of the way).
Be aware your villa might not be ready, even after the official 4PM check-in time.

I have left the car out front while checking in many times, then drove the car to the self-parking lot. Inform the valet you are just checking in, they may want your keys (to move your car out of the way).
Be aware your villa might not be ready, even after the official 4PM check-in time.

Thanks! DH would most likely stay with the car. Just thought it would be simpler for him to wait right there for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter