The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Hi new to this thread. Last summer we did an Adventures By Disney to California and stayed a the GF and enjoyed it. Cute place. NEXT summer we want to do a Southern Cal trip and stop in Disneyland a few days. Thinking of booking GCV studio at the 7 month mark for a July 2017 stay. Is this a pipe dream at 7 months instead of 11?Also is the resort being refurbished by chance? trying to find views of the room decor etc. thanks!

...Thinking of booking GCV studio at the 7 month mark for a July 2017 stay. Is this a pipe dream at 7 months instead of 11?
Booking a studio in July at 7 months is rather unlikely. D23 Expo is July 14-16, so those dates will book quickly.

...Also is the resort being refurbished by chance?
The hotel is being refurbished, Disney recently pulled a permit for room remodeling ($68 million).
There have been no reports (or pictures) of refurbished rooms, but VGC is not likely to have any work done (GCH opened in 2001, DVC wing in 2009).

Booking a studio in July at 7 months is rather unlikely. D23 Expo is July 14-16, so those dates will book quickly.

The hotel is being refurbished, Disney recently pulled a permit for room remodeling ($68 million).
There have been no reports (or pictures) of refurbished rooms, but VGC is not likely to have any work done (GCH opened in 2001, DVC wing in 2009).

Thanks! I am coincidentally there those exact dates of the D23 - we are doing another Adventures by Disney but this time in San Fran and driving part way up te coast with a stop at Disney. I will just plan on staying elsewhere - not DVC. That being said, will this greatly affect crowds?

Hello. First time posting. First time to Disneyland. Just booked VGC for 4 nights in February 2017 - first time there obviously as well. So excited to start the planning. I know if you book a Disneyland package with a hotel, you get a lanyard and pin etc. with your tickets in the mail. Is there anyway to plan such a package with your DVC resort or do you just simply purchase your tickets separately at Disneyland.com? Is there any way to at least request a theme park view before arrival? How do you book Disneyland Express from LAX? Thanks so much and any tips on first time visit to VGC and Disneyland would be great!

Hello. First time posting. First time to Disneyland. Just booked VGC for 4 nights in February 2017 - first time there obviously as well. So excited to start the planning. I know if you book a Disneyland package with a hotel, you get a lanyard and pin etc. with your tickets in the mail. Is there anyway to plan such a package with your DVC resort or do you just simply purchase your tickets separately at Disneyland.com? Is there any way to at least request a theme park view before arrival? How do you book Disneyland Express from LAX? Thanks so much and any tips on first time visit to VGC and Disneyland would be great!

There are no lanyards for booking DVC and no way to plan a package. You would buy your tickets separately, either through Disney or one of the other ticket sellers. You can request a theme park room on your reservation, right down to even requesting room numbers. Just call or open a chat and add it. Remember that a request is only a request. Disneyland Express is not free like ME is. You can book it through Gray Line Tours. Check out the Dis Disneyland board for lots of great information, including a sticky that covers information that WDW regulars visiting DL might find helpful.

...Is there any way to at least request a theme park view before arrival?
Send your requests to DVC Member Services.
I have had good results including a list of specific villa room numbers.

You will find several suggested view request in this thread.
To save some time, search this thread for these specific room numbers:
  • 6500 -- 2 bedroom dedicated
  • 6502 -- 1 bedroom
  • 6504 -- studio

Somewhat off topic, but since VGC overlooks DCA I wanted to share.
This thread is on the DVC Member Services board:
Booking 25 And Beyond Bash at California Adventure

DVC owners staying at VGC on November 2, might want to contact Member Services (or Member Satisfaction) about attending this event.
View attachment 187013

I am going to this! I got the email notice around 12:30 pm, but didn't notice it til 10 pm that night. I quickly signed up and got a conformation! I was surprised it sold out by the next afternoon. I guess I am pretty clueless as to how many West Coast DVCers there really are!

There is a blurb on the booking page of the member website for VGC that work is starting in September for "something".

Know Before You Go
Please pardon our pixie dust! In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of facilities and offerings at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, some locations will be undergoing enhancements starting in September 2016. While we are working our magic, you may see and hear construction taking place around the Resort. We will attempt to limit any work most likely to cause a noise impact before 9:00 AM. This refurbishment is expected to be completed in late October 2016. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We stayed in a VGC 1BR last week, and there was a new television and dishwasher in there compared to when we stayed in February. Could have been specific to that particular unit? Those were the only changes we noted. Great stay as usual.

There is a blurb on the booking page of the member website for VGC that work is starting in September for "something".

Know Before You Go
Please pardon our pixie dust! In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of facilities and offerings at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, some locations will be undergoing enhancements starting in September 2016. While we are working our magic, you may see and hear construction taking place around the Resort. We will attempt to limit any work most likely to cause a noise impact before 9:00 AM. This refurbishment is expected to be completed in late October 2016. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Left yesterday and saw no construction but didn't go to every floor

That's exactly what I was looking for! Look at rooms 5516 and 3516. They have walls instead of railings?

Just stayed in 5516, and can confirm it's a wall because of the placement of the "awning" directly in front of it. Had no affect on our stay and actually allowed us to have our 18 month old run around out there on the balcony unimpeded without fear of him throwing things through the gaps in the railing or anything. Very peaceful in that room, could barely hear the fireworks from that side, and you have to lean way out to get a partial WoC view and hear what's going on over there too.

Know Before You Go
Posted on the GCH Superthread:
We stayed in the Villas at Grand Californian last week. The room itself was beautiful and exactly what we needed in terms of space. But those of you going soon, just about all of the Villa wing is surrounded by scaffolding, compromising the view. Men were working on the scaffolding and using our balcony as a workspace, so weren't able to use our balconies at all. Also, we were never able to get hot water. The best we got was tepid. We often settled for "not absolutely freezing." Registration said that they would "work on it" but it never improved during our 4 night stay.

Signing my papers on Monday for 50 GCV pts! Woohoo! Already own AKV and GFV. We live 25 min from Dland but I've always wanted some points to book a night each year for the kids birthdays or just a quick getaway. Need that 11 month booking window! Already planning my daughter's bday for next year!

Signing my papers on Monday for 50 GCV pts! Woohoo! Already own AKV and GFV. We live 25 min from Dland...
Welcome Home party:
There have been posts from other local owners, VGC makes a perfect Staycation :goodvibes

A few questions (feel free to ignore any or all), I have found the history of prices (spread through this thread) to be quite useful:
  • Resale or Direct?
  • How long on waiting list (or how long searching for resale)?
  • Price?
  • Use Year, and did you wait for a specific UY?

Welcome Home party:
There have been posts from other local owners, VGC makes a perfect Staycation :goodvibes

A few questions (feel free to ignore any or all), I have found the history of prices (spread through this thread) to be quite useful:
  • Resale or Direct?
  • How long on waiting list (or how long searching for resale)?
  • Price?
  • Use Year, and did you wait for a specific UY?

I bought direct. As far as I know, they no longer have a waiting list. I just found out they had some pts available and I've been wanting to buy GCV specifically for staycations. My daughter will be having her bday there next Oct. Going to have her friends spend the night, go to Storytellers café for breakfast and then swim at the pool during the day! Price was $180. Little hard to swallow knowing what I paid for my other two contracts. I got a Sept use year. My AKV is Dec and my guaranteed week at GFV is Thanksgiving week, thus a Nov use year. Since my GCV pts are only going to be used for GCV, I didn't care when the use year was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter