"The Trip" - Part 9 (Could I interest you in any chicken?)

Tombstone

Earning My Ears
Cast:
Rawry: That’s me! 43
Mitchy Mama: My partner in Disney 39/40
Devo: The oldest son 16/17
JoJo: The middle child 13
Sissy: Her Highness 5
MeMe: Mother in Law ????

Could I interest you in any chicken?

Wednesday, June 18th / Day 8

We awoke this morning with an announcement of “I’m leaving now!” and the door being closed between our rooms. That was quick I thought. No goodbye. Not even thanks for the memories. Maybe it was said, but at 4:45 in the morning, I am not known for my thinking ability. Come to think of it, this was about the same time of day back home when I was trying to figure out our plumbing on the day we left. I wonder how things are going there? The weather channel has not shown any rain back home since that one fateful day. In fact, it really hasn’t rained here at all either. Mitchy MaMa got up to talk with MeMe for a second and then she was gone. We were now alone. I guess alone as five people can be.

The kids didn’t start stirring this morning until around 8:00. Today was Devo’s b’day. It was his day to pick and choose our agenda. First off are the presents though. Nothing like hauling a bunch of presents down to Florida so that he could open them and then haul them back home. Since there aren’t any gift shops around here, we had to bring all this stuff with us. We have taken pictures of Devo opening presents on his birthday every year for the past 17 years. Every year he never has a shirt on including this one. It’s a tradition. I don’t know why. This kid would wander around in just a pair of shorts year round if we would let him. We can have six inches of snow on the ground at home, and he’ll have on shorts, flip flops, and a tee shirt for school.

I have to share a proud parent moment here. Now this has nothing to do with this trip, it just has to do with the kid. Devo is one of those kids that have a lot going for him. He’s very athletic, gets good grades, has a lot of friends, and never met a stranger. On top of that, he’s an outstandingly handsome young man. At least that is what all the girls tell me. This past winter there was a news program on how to tell if you child was shy. I know Devo isn’t but asked him a question that they said to ask your child just to see what his answer would be. He really surprised me. The question was, Who do you eat lunch with? He said that he eats with a lot of different people but generally he eats with Charlie. Now I know Charlie. He is a big kid who is really a nerd in the classical sense. One of those kids that most people go out of their way to avoid. Not the best complexion, into video games, not popular, etc.. We all know the type right. So I said why Charlie? And he said, because otherwise he would have to eat lunch all by himself. Oh my gosh; I was not expecting that answer. As a parent you hope that your kids will grow up and be a good member of society. That you can teach them respect and values. I had know idea that he would be teaching me though.

Back to the vacation now:

Devo was having a tough time deciding what he wanted to do this morning. He knew where he wanted to eat lunch and dinner though. At least he has his priorities straight. He was thinking about a water park this morning but then changed his mind and decided to hit the pool for awhile and then head to MGM. We figured we could hit the water parks one of the next couple of days instead. On the way to the pool, we stopped off at Tubbi’s and grabbed some breakfast. You got it. Broke out the Disney Club card and that extra 20% was all mine.

We took our time at the Grotto pool today. We only went down the slide about 145 times before Devo announced it was time to be movin on. We got changed and caught the boat to MGM. Devo ran ahead as always and grabbed the Rockin Roller fastpasses. The rest of us headed toward the Tower. We told Sissy that she didn’t have to ride this anymore this trip but she has decided to try it again today. I think she really likes it but uses this against us in some sort of manipulative manner. I believe we subconsciously buy her more stuffed animals because of the psychological scarring that we have imposed on her. We went through One Man’s Dream and stayed for the film. The models of different rides and attractions were really amazing. The boys weren’t real excited going into this but ended up appreciating Walt a little more.

For lunch today, Devo has chosen Mama Melrose’s. We ate hear many years ago and just never have seemed to make it back. When I made the PS they noted that today we were celebrating a birthday. I also made a point to tell our waiter when we arrived. He however seemed to have gotten up on the grouchy side of the bed and seemed perturbed that I would bring something like that to his attention. I could already tell that this meal would not run smoothly. Devo decided to have a small Caesar salad and the appetizer calamari for his lunch. Anthony (the waiter) asked him if he would like a little chicken on his salad and without thought; Devo’s head was nodding up and down. For some reason I knew that we had just been had. The rest of us ordered fairly light meals of flatbreads and salads. Lunch arrived and Devo was served his salad with a couple of strips of boiled anemic chicken atop. He remarked on their lack of flavor but ate them anyway. When the bill arrived I noticed that those two little strips raised the price from 3.99 to 15.99. Although in general our food was very good, I was not particularly happy with our waiter at this point. This coupled with the fact that he did absolutely nothing to recognize the birthday we were celebrating. Lesson to be learned here: While good food may get you in the door, bad service will keep you from coming back.

This afternoon Devo led us around to his favorite rides. MGM seems to be the boys’ favorite park. Something about teenage boys and thrill rides. Not that I’m complaining mind you. We headed back to the hotel by mid afternoon. Our plan was to get cleaned up as best we could and head for Downtown Disney. When we returned to the room, we noticed that we had a message on the phone. It was MeMe. She had made it back to Texas and now wished that she was still in Florida with us. My thought was that she should have stayed instead of this little game that we were going through. I was still gathering bits and pieces to this story. Apparently she had someplace to be this weekend and her husband was giving her a hard time about having to pick her up at the airport to turn around and drive someplace else. She was sore. She was burned. She felt like the kids would have a better time without her. She also forgot to bring some hormone medication with her on the trip. Hmmmmm. Things were starting to fall into place but I was still missing some critical pieces of evidence. While these may be reasons to feel uncomfortable, it was not reason to leave. Maybe before this is all said and done, I will have everything I need to figure this out. Until then, it is our duty to have a good time.

This afternoon we were going shopping. It’s a good thing I packed a couple of empty suitcases. On the bus ride it started raining. Not that typical heavy rain that comes in quickly and then leaves. Just one of those long drizzly rains. Mitchy MaMa and I hit the big gift shop while the kids hung out at Lego Land. No rain could keep us from shopping. We had to get those last two dozen or so trinkets before we could head home. Finally our shopping is completed for today and we worked our way to the West Side. Devo had decided that he wanted to eat at Bongo’s tonight. I was skeptical. I was concerned that Bongo’s didn’t take advance reservations. It was first come first served. I was also concerned that I had never heard the raving reviews like I had some other restaurants but hey it was his birthday and his choice to make. We were hoping to cut through Pleasure Island, but they closed off the entrance from the Marketplace side, so we had to walk around.

We arrived at Bongo’s surrounded by the still falling drizzle. We checked in at the front desk and were seated right away. I didn’t take that as a good sign this time of evening. I figured if it was any good, it would be busy. Tonight we would dine in the giant pineapple. The pineapple room was actually pretty cool. Large booths around the outside with tables that are made of multi-colored glass and a circular bar in the middle. Our waiter made a couple of suggestions and was very helpful with our selections. MaMa and I had a couple of Margarita’s which were fabulous. Dinner arrived and the food was spectacular. Everything was prepared perfectly. The décor, food, and staff made for a very special meal. My only regret was that we didn’t try this place sooner. I could have eaten here a couple of more times on this trip alone. Our waiter brought Devo a Flan with a candle on top. We sang a rousing version of “Happy Birthday” and hoped his wishes came true. Devo did good tonight with his dinner choice.

After dinner Devo wanted to go to the movies. Dumb and Dumberer just wasn’t Mitchy MaMa’s idea of a good time so she and Sissy headed back to the hotel. Now it was just the boys. When I saw Dumb and Dumber the first time I thought it was the worst movie that I had ever seen. Since that time I have seen it on several occasions and have come to enjoy various parts of the movie. This version reminded me of the first time that I saw the original. I believe I fell asleep about halfway through. All I had for dinner may have helped contribute to that sleepiness also. After dinner the boys and I hiked all the way out to the West Side bus station only to find it closed. It is way out there too. I would have thought it possible to put a sign a little further back before we walked halfway to Tampa. So we had to go all the way back to the Pleasure Island bus station to catch our ride back to the hotel. At least by now I was awake and had walked off most of my dinner. Unfortunately we encountered very few mullets today. Some days it’s feast and other days famine. We crashed as soon as we got back. I needed to get some sleep because I knew that I would be dealing with a great big Pooh in the morning. Actually tomorrow is the day that JoJo finally figures it all out. See ya then.

Keep them coming! As soon as I log on, I look for your saga. Don't keep us waiting too long for the next part!

btw: On another website, someone posted pictures of mullets in WDW. I had to wonder if they were your kids! ;)

Happy Birthday to Devo ~ you have a good kid there, even without a shirt.

Looking forward to your great big pooh in the morning...

Thanx for the great reports,

>>^..^<<

And still you keep us hanging! Great report!

Devo sounds like a great kid. Have all the proud moments you want.

Keep the post coming. Enjoying everyone of them. Happy birthday to Devo...

Denise:Pinkbounc

Hey! I resent that nerd=video games thingy. I'll have you know that I love to play video games and I'm not exactly a nerd! I just like to think that I have nerd tendencies:p

Anyway, great report as always!

Sarah

Sounds like you've got great kids. The whole MeME things sounds like a soap opera. I can almost hear the organ music and see the fade outs! LOL. I love the drama.

Heartily agree with Bongo's being a great spot, besides the fabulous food, the restaurant is an attraction in itself! We really loved the amazing detail in the tile mosaic picture walls!

Sounds like you have great kids that are a pleasure to be with~

Loving the reports!

ttfn
k
18 days!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter