The Spa Twins take on the Atlantic

Since we gathered to meet the vans at 8:30am, we arrived at the stop to take the cable car ride early and had a chance to walk around and take pictures. Of course, I could already see that Stephanie was looking a little stressed. Once the ticket window opened up, we paid and started up the ramp with everyone else just like cattle going to slaughter. :scared: As we watched folks getting onto each car, Stephanie was looking paler. Finally it was our turn and she was going kind of slow and I reminded her that others had to get in the car too. We all sat down and someone took our picture before the door closed. We sat with Warren and Abby (Steamboat Will) and Janice and her son Treavor (Youkongirl123). The whole way up, Stephanie took a video because she wanted her kids to know that she rode the whole thing!!! Warren and Abby were really enjoying the ride and were taking lots of pictures. Every once in a while he asked Stephanie if she wanted him to move so she could turn around and take pictures and with a scared look on her face, she politely turned him down. The view was just breathtaking. I took a couple of pictures but mostly just looked around in awe. Off in the distance, I could see a bridge and hoped we would not be driving over it.

At the end of the cable car ride, they offered pictures and of course Stephanie bought one to show her kids. I politely declined. We then walked to where we would ride the toboggans. This was the most fun of the whole shore excursion. The two gentlemen who pushed us down did a fantastic job providing us with just a little excitement of getting close to the wall. Coming down and watching the ocean view get more and grander was the most exciting experience I have ever had. I had to purchase the picture they took of us because it turned out really nice. We wondered how many pairs of shoes they go thru every week. I could even smell burning rubber at one point!!

Sorry I don't know how to link these. Just click on each picture for a short video of our ride down.

Then it was time to get back into the van. Stephanie and Kimmie had taken over the front seat and as we traveled up the mountain, I could see that Stephanie had a death grip on the strap. We even had to make a big u-turn at one point and I know she was closing her eyes at that point. We had stopped at a little fishing village and got out to walk around and noticed that all there was were bars and more bars with one church.

Back in the van, we placed our orders for lunch and headed off. At one point we could see the damage from the flooding. I have to admit they really did a great job of cleaning up and the traffic jam we encountered was just one like we would see at home. The landscape was ever changing and we saw windmills, flatlands, and even cows!!

more to come

We stayed in Madeira for a week a few weeks ago, and I never got over being tense and stressed when driving around the island. Those roads, and the way they all park their cars are terrible. I empathise. I don't have problems with cable cars unless my mind wanders to it dropping off the rope etc!!!:eek: John hates them and heights however.

They did a lot of planting by tiers.

100_1194.jpg

100_1195.jpg

100_1197.jpg

100_1198.jpg

100_1199.jpg

100_1205.jpg

We stopped to take more pictures and then finally arrived at the restaurant. The food was really good. We even tried the Poncha everyone had talked about.
100_1210.jpg

100_1211.jpg

Because lunch took so long, we ended up arriving at the Blandy Winery late so we chose not to do the tour. We decided to do a tasting of four of the ports. Their port was really not to my liking. I guess because I am used to a sweeter port. I did buy a bottle but decided to not get any more since I was not sure how it would have lasted in our travels home.

Arriving back to the ship, we dropped off our things in our room and went to see who was out for photos and stood in each line. Then off to eat. We kept going out for pictures with the characters and taking the last pictures of Spain, Portugal and Africa in the distance. After dinner it was a few more pictures and walking around the decks. We saw on the Navigator that we could go to the Oceaneer Lab and make Flubber. We first went up to Cove Café to see our friends of the GIT and Geezer Club. Then we headed down to the Oceaneer Lab and had a chance to play on the computers since we were early. It was then time to meet Schnitzel. The introduction was so cute, the gentleman introduced her and then we heard “ Ack!! ,,,Eek!!! And a few other short words and here she was. She is a hoot!!!!! It was so much fun and I really had a good time.
100_1223.jpg

After we were done, I was not ready for bed yet, so I went down to Sessions and listened to a final session with Tim the piano player. There are a few folks that listen to him every night and I was intrigued with his music. I had two glasses of champagne and just enjoyed the view from my seat. Looking out I could see the waves crashing in the distance. That is the way to end a perfect day.

more pictures to come

100_1167.jpg

100_1192.jpg

100_1170.jpg

100_1188.jpg

100_1214.jpg

100_1213.jpg

100_1208.jpg

Look, there are cows in the road!!!
100_1204-1.jpg

Chuckie checking out the menu for lunch
100_1209.jpg

Evening eats!!
100_1218-1.jpg

100_1221-1.jpg

3164343.jpg

100_1215.jpg

Hi everyone, I am here and have been reading all of the trip reports every day. Things come in threes and mine have been dealing with this stinking Vertigo and double vision, my mother is not doing well and Hal's mother was not doing well either.

Today Hal's mother Oma went to cross over the Rainbow Bridge to finally see her youngest son Brad and her beloved doggie Freddie. She had been in and out of the hospital a few times and was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. We really didn't think she would last until Thanksgiving. She lived a full 86 years. I just got off the phone with my youngest and sent him a ticket so he could get up here to be with the family.

According to my one sister, my mom is doing better. She has been in a wheelchair since May and now is in a rehab hospital. I don't know much more but will find out when my other sister calls.

Right now I am trying to work on my trip report to keep my mind focused. My MRI is scheduled for Tuesday and I hope to get some answers when the Dr gets the results.

I am sorry for your loss and want to wish you the all the best regarding your tests. I have been following your TR but we all understand if you need to take a break.

Best wishes :flower3:

I am back to working on my TR. Hope to get it finished soon!!!

Tinkerbel & Steffie, hope you DO come back and finish your trip report! People on the 2011 WTA would love to learn from you! (I've already learned I'm NOT doing a tour in Madeira!)

Thanks for writing!

Hey you two!! :grouphug: You left us in Maderia. :confused3 You need to get us across the Atlantic and back to Florida!! :banana:

Hi, Terry and Stephanie, I loved reading your trip report. Thanks, Terry, for finding it for me! I can't wait until we get to Barcelona. I am reading and studying and trying to learn as much as I can before Bob and I get there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter