The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

Interesting new color scheme. Kind of mixes the old 'Miami Vice" color with the newer full refresh's all beige scheme. Not sure how I feel about that :confused3

We checked in on Sunday, here is an update on the resort status.

• The water in all the lakes seem to be low. I don't know if it is because of lack of rain or something else. The waterfall at Falls is still not working. It wasn't working last summer when we were here.
  • The waterfall over in Springs isn't working. It wasn't working our last time here, but the first time we came last summer it was.
  • A fountain in Palms doesn't seem to be working right. Spurts more like a geyser than a fountain.
  • Occupancy seems to still be pretty low. Not a lot of cars around many of the buildings over in Falls, Courts, Spas and even some of the Cascades buildings. It seems like the north side may be busier with many people requesting renovated units.

They seem to have some serious maintenance issues when it comes to the fountains and water features around the resort. I don't understand why they don't simply fix them. They are what make the resort so tranquil.
I've noticed low pond levels in the past and I do think it is related to rainfall amounts. Most of central Florida is covered with water management ponds, these are as functional as decorative. I suspect that the fountains are shut off as the water level dips, probably because of the intake locations. I am just guessing, but have also noted that when ponds are low, fountains are off. They are also shut off late evening/overnight so the noise doesn't disturb the guests.

Occupancy often seems low in the deeded weeks sections (Courts, Falls, Spas). It is primarily caused by owners who no longer use their weeks and also don't trade; and there are a shocking number of those. Unlike floating sections where Marriott/Vistana/Sheraton can fill the unused VOI's they cannot do this for deeded units.

Don’t some of fountains have elevators? I seem to recall a top floor vaulted ceilings but with an elevator..? No?

None of the Fountains buildings have elevators. Each building has 3 floors, and the top floors have those beautiful vaulted ceilings and skylights.

Lakes (on the north side) and Cascades (on the south side) are the only sections with elevator access to upper floors.

Occupancy often seems low in the deeded weeks sections (Courts, Falls, Spas). It is primarily caused by owners who no longer use their weeks and also don't trade; and there are a shocking number of those. Unlike floating sections where Marriott/Vistana/Sheraton can fill the unused VOI's they cannot do this for deeded units.
I think by deeded week you mean fixed week and fixed units? Meaning the owners has to stay in the same unit on the same week every year (unless they exchange)? I know where we own (Vistana Villages), which is floating system, Vistana gets access to the unbooked inventory something like 75 days in advance and can either rent it out for cash or offer it up for exchange. That couldn't happen with fixed week/unit because if the owner just showed up, their unit could would have someone else in it.

I suspect these empty units have to be people that owned before Starwood and never took the option to become members of VSN to be able to use their units as points. If they did, then I think their units could go into the StartOption points at 8 months out. The units with people in them are either owners staying on their owned week/unit, or those that deposited their week into RCI and an RCI exchange is booked in.

Now the question regarding our unit. You don't see many max six units available in II. I think this is because if an owner isn't in VSN they have to trade through RCI. Am I wrong about that? The unit I booked into through an II getaway would have to have come from an owner that is in VSN but opted to deposit their week into II. I understand the only exchange company option for VSN members is II.

Lakes (on the north side) and Cascades (on the south side) are the only sections with elevator access to upper floors.
Does Lakes or Cascades have top floor vaulted ceilings and skylights? It is hard to tell what is a skylight and what is a vent when walking around the resort.

Does Lakes or Cascades have top floor vaulted ceilings and skylights? It is hard to tell what is a skylight and what is a vent when walking around the resort.

We have stayed in both, and yes they do. Had to check my pictures though to be sure.....our Lakes stay was 6 years ago and the memory was a bit fuzzy!

Interesting new color scheme. Kind of mixes the old 'Miami Vice" color with the newer full refresh's all beige scheme. Not sure how I feel about that :confused3

I'm not a fan of teal tones in general....it's just not my colour.....but even so, it's much less bland than the beige-on-brown from the original big remodel. And the new patio doors, windows, appliances and furniture are all super lovely!

Is this Fountains I or Fountains II? We were in a Fountains II 2BR back January and it looked nothing like this. Ours was first floor. Vaulted ceilings aside, the layout was much different. The jetted tub was different and ours only had a ceiling fan in the living room. No ceiling fan in the master or guest bedroom. The door to the master bedroom was also off the living room. Is the top floor that much different? Or is there a difference between Fountains I and II? Or are some of the buildings different? Perhaps an end unit vs center? Just trying to understand why it is so different from the unit we had in Fountains II building 25.

Is this Fountains I or Fountains II? We were in a Fountains II 2BR back January and it looked nothing like this. Ours was first floor. Vaulted ceilings aside, the layout was much different. The jetted tub was different and ours only had a ceiling fan in the living room. No ceiling fan in the master or guest bedroom. The door to the master bedroom was also off the living room. Is the top floor that much different? Or is there a difference between Fountains I and II? Or are some of the buildings different? Perhaps an end unit vs center? Just trying to understand why it is so different from the unit we had in Fountains II building 25.

Fountains I and Fountains II have two different villa layouts, and different interior finishes. We've never stayed in anything other than a top floor villa in all of our stays (Spas, Cascades, Lakes, Fountains I and Fountains II) but I'm virtually certain the floor plans are identical in each section regardless of the floor you are on.

The biggest difference for us in the Fountains II unit was having the jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom vs the master bath. Your eye was much keener than ours to catch the ceiling fan differences!

Fountains I and Fountains II have two different villa layouts, and different interior finishes. We've never stayed in anything other than a top floor villa in all of our stays (Spas, Cascades, Lakes, Fountains I and Fountains II) but I'm virtually certain the floor plans are identical in each section regardless of the floor you are on.

The biggest difference for us in the Fountains II unit was having the jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom vs the master bath. Your eye was much keener than ours to catch the ceiling fan differences!
Thanks for the explanation. So are you saying that there are two different floor plans in each phase? Meaning two different layouts in Fountains Ii and two different layouts in Fountains I? We were in Fountains II and had the layout with the Jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom. This is the same as yours, but it seems that the tub is situated differently. Perhaps just a difference of an end unit having the window and we were in a middle unit.

The layout of our Fountains II villa matched the floorplan on Vistana.com with an entry to the master being off the living room. Yours doesn't look like that from the photos.

Last edited:
Are the vaulted ceilings and sky lights ONLY in Fountains? (And is that both Fountains 1 and 2?)
What would be preferred in terms of being close to 1-2 big pools/activity center? Fountains? Cascades? Falls? Or something else? (It'd be a 2 bedroom and we need 2 beds in the 2nd room)

Are the vaulted ceilings and sky lights ONLY in Fountains? (And is that both Fountains 1 and 2?)
What would be preferred in terms of being close to 1-2 big pools/activity center? Fountains? Cascades? Falls? Or something else? (It'd be a 2 bedroom and we need 2 beds in the 2nd room)
I am not 100% all of the phases that have skylights and vaulted ceilings but I noticed skylights from the outside at Palms. None at Falls. All of the phases have 2BR units and all have two beds in the guest bedroom. The difference is that Falls and Courts only have twins in the second bedroom where the other phases have doubles. Some 2BR units in Cascades and Lakes will have a king in the guest room because these are a part of a two bedroom lock off.

Also, when are you planning to go. RIght now the Cascades pool is closed and the only other big pools are Fountains and Spa. The Spa section is perhaps the closest to three pools, Spa Super Pool, Courts and Lakes. The Main Activity Center that is open right now is near the Spa pool. This is where you will also find tennis and the mini golf. Some Courts and Lakes buildings are close too this area too. Some Cascades buildings can be close to the Cascades pool, but some are not. The only other pool in the area is Springs. Palms is perhaps the furthest from any of the pools and Springs has its own small pool.

I think by deeded week you mean fixed week and fixed units? Meaning the owners has to stay in the same unit on the same week every year (unless they exchange)? I know where we own (Vistana Villages), which is floating system, Vistana gets access to the unbooked inventory something like 75 days in advance and can either rent it out for cash or offer it up for exchange. That couldn't happen with fixed week/unit because if the owner just showed up, their unit could would have someone else in it.

I suspect these empty units have to be people that owned before Starwood and never took the option to become members of VSN to be able to use their units as points. If they did, then I think their units could go into the StartOption points at 8 months out. The units with people in them are either owners staying on their owned week/unit, or those that deposited their week into RCI and an RCI exchange is booked in.

Now the question regarding our unit. You don't see many max six units available in II. I think this is because if an owner isn't in VSN they have to trade through RCI. Am I wrong about that? The unit I booked into through an II getaway would have to have come from an owner that is in VSN but opted to deposit their week into II. I understand the only exchange company option for VSN members is II.
Basically, yes.

Yes deeded week is fixed week, fixed unit. A deed is actually recorded with the county in OUR name for that specific week. But that does mean use it, trade it, or lose it. Vistana never gains access to it.

We own a deeded week (resale) in Courts - upper townhome. We were offered the opportunity to convert after the special assessment period, but declined. There is something to be said for owning a prime March break week that gains great TPU whenever you deposit. And always being in the exact same unit you own is really pleasant - it really is like coming home, because (for that week) you own it! Trading in VSN had no appeal and diluted our value as they could deposit whatever they wanted for us (and honestly I suspect resale owners are second class when depositing). I hear they now just deposit a blended value - that is guaranteed to be lesser than what we actually own.

We trade primarily (really only) in RCI. Sheraton gave us free membership in II about 3 years ago, but anytime I search there against our SVR I can't find anything I want to trade into. RCI gives us a bounty of places we like to travel to. Our other ownership (Silver Lake) only trades RCI as well, so that keeps us loyal. Some of it comes down to how well you play the system, and we are pretty good at playing (almost typo'd paying - Freudian?) the RCI game.

Thanks for the explanation. So are you saying that there are two different floor plans in each phase? Meaning two different layouts in Fountains Ii and two different layouts in Fountains I? We were in Fountains II and had the layout with the Jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom. This is the same as yours, but it seems that the tub is situated differently. Perhaps just a difference of an end unit having the window and we were in a middle unit.

The layout of our Fountains II villa matched the floorplan on Vistana.com with an entry to the master being off the living room. Yours doesn't look like that from the photos.
View attachment 573323

As far as I am aware, Fountains I just has one floor plan, which is just flip-flopped depending on which side of the building you are on. Fountains II would be the same, one floor plan that just has the "mirror image" on the other side. Each building holds 6 two bedroom units: two on the ground floor, two on the middle floor and two on the top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter