The Running Thread -- 2022

My only complaint about the race is the decision I made to skip the awards ceremony. I didn't think slots for the worlds in Finland would roll all the way down to my lowly 14th place. Narrator voice: they did ;) Lesson learned - always go and see what happens.
[/SPOILER]
Oh wow that would have been cool! Great racing!

Salalah 70.3 Race Report
TL;DR - very windy, very hot, very humid = very tough. Happy to finish under 6.

Salalah is a small town on the southwest coast of Oman developing itself into a resort destination for the region. It's in a unique location with the Indian Ocean on one side and lush mountains complete with waterfalls on the other. The race was held in the middle of the resort area with the swim in the protected marina, bike northeast along the coastal road, and run in the opposite direction. With less than 800 people entered, this felt more like a local race than a big international Ironman event, which meant there was plenty of room in transition and always a friendly face out on the course.

Swim:
My swim started poorly. Got kicked in the face and my goggle's left eye kept filling up with water. Took me several stops and several hundred meters before I could get it properly back into place without continual leaking. Once I sorted that out, I felt strong and composed. I intentionally never really pushed too hard because I knew the sun was coming out and taking off a minute or two wouldn’t help me in the end. Didn’t hit the watch for transition until I was already into T1, probably in the tent. Time: 36 minutes

T1:
Dried feet. Sock, shoe, sock, shoe. Sunglasses. Helmet. Belt. Stuff swim kit into bag. Fast walk to bike and away we go. Seriously, this transition area was smaller than some of our local races in Dubai.

Bike:
Heading out was fast and fun thanks to a 15-20knot tailwind. I aimed to keep mypower in the 155-165 range (zone 2) on average with the hills. No matter what this race organizers said, this is not a flat course. Total elevation was ~420 meters. The return was mentally tough. It's really frustrating to be going so slow back to T2 (38-40 kmh on the way out, under 25 on the return), but I knew I couldn't push it. The day was heating up fast, and I knew a half marathon would crush me if I started out too depleted from the bike leg. Time: 2:58

T2:
Rack bike. Helmet undone. Grab bag. Shoes on. Eat gel. Change sunglasses. Put on water bottle belt. Stuff bag. Drop bag. Pee in porta potty. Away we go.

Run:
My plan for the run was pretty simple. First 5k aim for HR under 152. Second 5k under 155. Third 5k under 160. Last 5k under 167 with a harder push the last 2k. I dumped several bottles of water over my head at every aid station. I stuffed wet sponges behind my neck at every aid station. I dropped ice down back of my trip suit whenever possible. I ended up fueling much more than I normally would (Gel at mile 4.5, 7.5, and 10.5-ish) because the sun was draining, and I kept topped up on my BASE salt too. Thankfully, my plan worked like a charm. I was firmly in control running easy and steady the entire time. Passing all the people who overbiked was a nice treat. Time: 2:06

Total time: 5:50

This was a much tougher race than any of us expected. We knew it would be warm, but the heat and the humidity were stifling by late morning. I wanted to push harder on the bike on the way back, and I'm glad I didn't. If you went too hard on the bike, you died on the run. Practicing staying easy and in control was a good mental exercise for Busselton. My only complaint about the race is the decision I made to skip the awards ceremony. I didn't think slots for the worlds in Finland would roll all the way down to my lowly 14th place. Narrator voice: they did ;) Lesson learned - always go and see what happens.

Great job under tough conditions, @FFigawi !

September started with the Weymouth Woods 50k trail race for me. I detailed the physical beating I took from the trail in my race report. My plan for the fall was to jump right back into bridging training and run another marathon in October or November. Now, at the end of September my legs are still feeling dead even on my short, easy runs, although my HRs are still in good shape, and I'm having increasing trouble with my shin. I got my posterior tibialis dry needled on Friday, but it didn't resolve things.

Ultimately, I think I made a mistake not taking more recovery time after the 50k and it's catching up with me now. I'm going to take my long-ish run today relatively easily and evaluate after that. I'm considering abandoning my fall marathon plans entirely and just resetting things to train for Dopey. If I do that, I'll either take the next week or two off or at a reduced volume. It's disappointing, but I think my body is asking for a bit of rest. At any rate, here are the numbers from September:

September Summary
Running Miles: 156.73
Running Time: 30:03:24
Average Pace: 11:32/mi
Average HR: 144/min
YTD Running Miles: 1451.74

Extras:
Walking Miles: 22.31
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,958.72

Salalah 70.3 Race Report

Salalah is a small town on the southwest coast of Oman developing itself into a resort destination for the region. It's in a unique location with the Indian Ocean on one side and lush mountains complete with waterfalls on the other. The race was held in the middle of the resort area with the swim in the protected marina, bike northeast along the coastal road, and run in the opposite direction. With less than 800 people entered, this felt more like a local race than a big international Ironman event, which meant there was plenty of room in transition and always a friendly face out on the course.

Swim:
My swim started poorly. Got kicked in the face and my goggle's left eye kept filling up with water. Took me several stops and several hundred meters before I could get it properly back into place without continual leaking. Once I sorted that out, I felt strong and composed. I intentionally never really pushed too hard because I knew the sun was coming out and taking off a minute or two wouldn’t help me in the end. Didn’t hit the watch for transition until I was already into T1, probably in the tent. Time: 36 minutes

T1:
Dried feet. Sock, shoe, sock, shoe. Sunglasses. Helmet. Belt. Stuff swim kit into bag. Fast walk to bike and away we go. Seriously, this transition area was smaller than some of our local races in Dubai.

Bike:
Heading out was fast and fun thanks to a 15-20knot tailwind. I aimed to keep mypower in the 155-165 range (zone 2) on average with the hills. No matter what this race organizers said, this is not a flat course. Total elevation was ~420 meters. The return was mentally tough. It's really frustrating to be going so slow back to T2 (38-40 kmh on the way out, under 25 on the return), but I knew I couldn't push it. The day was heating up fast, and I knew a half marathon would crush me if I started out too depleted from the bike leg. Time: 2:58

T2:
Rack bike. Helmet undone. Grab bag. Shoes on. Eat gel. Change sunglasses. Put on water bottle belt. Stuff bag. Drop bag. Pee in porta potty. Away we go.

Run:
My plan for the run was pretty simple. First 5k aim for HR under 152. Second 5k under 155. Third 5k under 160. Last 5k under 167 with a harder push the last 2k. I dumped several bottles of water over my head at every aid station. I stuffed wet sponges behind my neck at every aid station. I dropped ice down back of my trip suit whenever possible. I ended up fueling much more than I normally would (Gel at mile 4.5, 7.5, and 10.5-ish) because the sun was draining, and I kept topped up on my BASE salt too. Thankfully, my plan worked like a charm. I was firmly in control running easy and steady the entire time. Passing all the people who overbiked was a nice treat. Time: 2:06

This was a much tougher race than any of us expected. We knew it would be warm, but the heat (90s) and the humidity (80s) were stifling by late morning. I wanted to push harder on the bike on the way back, and I'm glad I didn't. If you went too hard on the bike, you died on the run. Practicing staying easy and in control was a good mental exercise for Busselton. My only complaint about the race is the decision I made to skip the awards ceremony. I didn't think slots for the worlds in Finland would roll all the way down to my lowly 14th place. Narrator voice: they did ;) Lesson learned - always go and see what happens.

Way to go!

Salalah 70.3 Race Report

Swim:

T1:

Bike:

T2:

Run:

This was a much tougher race than any of us expected. We knew it would be warm, but the heat (90s) and the humidity (80s) were stifling by late morning. I wanted to push harder on the bike on the way back, and I'm glad I didn't. If you went too hard on the bike, you died on the run. Practicing staying easy and in control was a good mental exercise for Busselton. My only complaint about the race is the decision I made to skip the awards ceremony. I didn't think slots for the worlds in Finland would roll all the way down to my lowly 14th place. Narrator voice: they did ;) Lesson learned - always go and see what happens.
Great job! I’m most impressed by your ability to hold back. That is a lesson that I’m still learning. Although the rest of it is really quite impressive as well.

Great job! I’m most impressed by your ability to hold back. That is a lesson that I’m still learning.
I think I need the opposite lesson. I’m not sure I’ve ever purposefully tried to go fast in a race lol. I have always aided in the side of caution with the goal to finish.

Great job everyone!!! Such an impressive crew over here in the Dis.

DH here again.
York College 5k: 26:58
Very happy with the time. I've done zero speed work; mostly trying to keep endurance. Plan for the race was to use that to tell myself I could pick a pace and stick with it, which I did.
Weather: Due to the rain and wind, I decided against my planned 1-1.5 mile warm up and stayed dry in the car. Only ~80 runners. The rain let up about 15 minutes prior to the start, but it was just teasing us. It returned with wind and steady downpour. There were some points on the pavement where there were inclines that seemed a little slippery, so I took care there and also at the sharp 180 turn-around.
Shirt: short sleeve, black, tech fabric. Nice.
Drinks: coffee (sorry, not a fan of coffee), tea, water, Gatorade. On course 1 water table around mile 3 (of a 5k)
Snacks: donut holes, apples, granola bars, bagels, mini-muffins, and a fiber/protein bar
On course support: members of the sports teams, I think. Cheering for everyone at key turns
Race cost: It was $25 for pre-registration
Camaraderie: saw a JCC friend there and talked with him a bit. Said a friendly hello to a man just prior to mile 3. After the race he thanked me for doing that. And I thanked him for giving me inspiration to keep my pace up. Much of the field stayed around for the entire awards ceremony and cheered for everyone.
My race: kept wide into the first turn of the track, which set me up to get down the back stretch (running counter-course) to get through the gate and out of the track. Up the hill to the sidewalk and carefully down to the street behind the track. Again, careful across all the sets of railroad tracks and the turn onto the Rail Trail. Thought about taking my gloves off ~0.8 miles in, as I noticed many starting to take hats, gloves, jackets, and even shirts off. Glad I kept them on. The rain returned as noted above. Not much else interesting happened. I passed a few people after mile 1.
For the win: I wore my new Odlo jacket. It worked out great and kept me dry and protected from the wind.

Metrics: I did this race in 2014. There were around 230 runners then. Yesterday there were 81.
Would I do it again: yes. Certainly. Low cost. Easy to get to. Despite the rain the Rail Trail was in good condition.

Hi all! I feel like this has been discussed but can’t seem to find the posts!

I’m finally going to buy a treadmill. Eyeing the Nordic track 1750 or 2450. Wondering if anyone has opinions on either?

Hi all! I feel like this has been discussed but can’t seem to find the posts!

I’m finally going to buy a treadmill. Eyeing the Nordic track 1750 or 2450. Wondering if anyone has opinions on either?
I have the 2450. I like it. I like the medium sized screen.
I did have to replace the rear roller after about a year with about 800 miles on it. It got really loud and sounded like it was grinding. It was covered by the warranty. I actually replaced the motor first and that didn’t fix it. Then found that it was the rear roller. For me the warranty and replacement was easy, and I had no issues with customer service.
It does ‘pop’ a little when it goes down to -3 on the incline. I think that is my own assembly error. I put it together by myself, and the last step was not so easy trying to get everything aligned with one person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter