The Running Thread -- 2022

I had a great time running yesterday, but my Apple Watch died on my at Mile 24. For what it's worth, I was using Nike Run Club and I was listening to music. It's a great watch (for me) for anything shy of a marathon, but I'm already thinking about running again next year and don't want to have my watch die during my run again. Does anybody have any thoughts (other than hatred for running with an Apple Watch) or suggestions? I wonder how much listening to music drains the battery. If so, I could use my phone to listen to music, but then I wouldn't get updates from my watch.

I had a great time running yesterday, but my Apple Watch died on my at Mile 24. For what it's worth, I was using Nike Run Club and I was listening to music. It's a great watch (for me) for anything shy of a marathon, but I'm already thinking about running again next year and don't want to have my watch die during my run again. Does anybody have any thoughts (other than hatred for running with an Apple Watch) or suggestions? I wonder how much listening to music drains the battery. If so, I could use my phone to listen to music, but then I wouldn't get updates from my watch.
I found that the pairing of the watch with the iPhone plus the GPS are enough to drain the battery. I run with my iPhone only now and wear the watch mostly when not running. The phone is great for pictures during a race and for emergency in general. I am curious to read if anyone has successfully run a marathon (plus hours of usage before) with the combo.

I found that the pairing of the watch with the iPhone plus the GPS are enough to drain the battery. I run with my iPhone only now and wear the watch mostly when not running. The phone is great for pictures during a race and for emergency in general. I am curious to read if anyone has successfully run a marathon (plus hours of usage before) with the combo.
I recently got the new Apple Watch 7 (no cell). I think it would last for a whole marathon- 5 hours plus. I don’t run with music though. I didn’t use it yesterday. I still have a very good Garmin that I will continue to use for running. The reason I didn’t test it out for the marathon is that my phone battery was pretty low after the half. I know I was on it for a while before the race started. I’m not sure if it was the watch causing my phone to drain or something else. But since I was using my phone for my room key, I didn’t want to not be able to get into my room after the marathon.

My fitbit is about to bite the dust. Thinking of switching to a Garmin.... What watch does everyone have? Do you like it?

I have a Garmin 945. It does everything I need for all my various sports, has excellent battery life, and weighs almost nothing. Its open water swim tracking is not quite as good as the old 920XT, but that's my only real complaint about it.

My fitbit is about to bite the dust. Thinking of switching to a Garmin.... What watch does everyone have? Do you like it?
I have the vivoactive 4s and love it. I’ve had it 2 years. Also got mine after my Fitbit Versa died! I wear mine all day every day so I wanted a watch with some smart watch functions in addition to exercise tracking and something that looked more like a watch. I have a smaller wrist and the 4s is small Enough to fit well. It also has GPS which was a major requirement after a few years of having to carry my phone in order to track my runs. It has music, which I wanted at the time but I have since stopped listening to music when I run so really barely used that function.

I usually don't like wearing anything on my wrist while I am running so I have never really looked into any of the trackers like Fitbit, Garmin, etc. But during the marathon on Sunday I kept hearing people's trackers go off reading them out loud the mileage of the run and the pace. I thought that was pretty cool. Does anyone have any suggestions on models that have that functionality?

Sorry for another question. Does anyone have any recommendations on a knee brace for IT band support?

I have the vivoactive 4s and love it. I’ve had it 2 years. Also got mine after my Fitbit Versa died! I wear mine all day every day so I wanted a watch with some smart watch functions in addition to exercise tracking and something that looked more like a watch. I have a smaller wrist and the 4s is small Enough to fit well. It also has GPS which was a major requirement after a few years of having to carry my phone in order to track my runs. It has music, which I wanted at the time but I have since stopped listening to music when I run so really barely used that function.

I have the same thing and agree with everything stated here. Lots of data screens to do what I need. It was at 100% on Sunday morning before the full, and it's still at 27% today (Tuesday morning) with a custom background that probably drains the battery a little faster. I didn't use anything on it except the GPS for my run (no music or intervals) so YMMV if you use more of the functions. And mine was about $150 as a refurb/like new off amazon.

What watch does everyone have? Do you like it?
I have a Garmin Fenix 6S and am obsessed with it. I got it because I do triathlons and I appreciate the long battery life for hiking also. But my favorite thing outside of all that is that it looks good enough to wear all of the time. I basically never take it off. I have the white one (and you can customize the watch face. Mine has blue butterflies!).

So during the marathon on Sunday my phone app failed me again. So I have a time and mileage breakdown for 23.8 miles of the marathon…. In a word - grrrrrrr! I think it is time to get a running watch, only I want something very simple to operate and fairly inexpenise. Any suggestions?

Now that Dopey is over, I’m taking at least a couple weeks off from running and trying to determine new goals. I’d really love to refocus my attention on shorter distances and rather than have goals of just finishing, focus on improving speed and get some new PRs. Anyone have any advice on best methods for speed training?

So during the marathon on Sunday my phone app failed me again. So I have a time and mileage breakdown for 23.8 miles of the marathon…. In a word - grrrrrrr! I think it is time to get a running watch, only I want something very simple to operate and fairly inexpenise. Any suggestions?
what do you consider to be inexpensive, and what things do you want it to do/track?

Now that Dopey is over, I’m taking at least a couple weeks off from running and trying to determine new goals. I’d really love to refocus my attention on shorter distances and rather than have goals of just finishing, focus on improving speed and get some new PRs. Anyone have any advice on best methods for speed training?

It's a fantastic question. At its core, the question is, "How do I get faster?"

First thing I'd do is determine reasonable expectations. Based on the research I've read, and a small collection of data from runners here on the DIS, an average expectation is a 20-30% increase in VDOT from your first race. So go here (link) and type in your first race. It'll give you a VDOT value, like 30.8 for someone who runs their first race as a 30 min 5k. From there, multiply that value by 1.2 to 1.3. So a person with a 30.8 gets a value of 36.9-40. I'd then go back into the VDOT calculator and find what 5k equals a 36.9-40 value (25:50-24:05). So a reasonable expectation is that someone who started off as a 30:00 min 5k runner could become maximally a 24:05-25:50 runner if they see an average response to training in their lifetime. Now, there are obvious caveats to this. There are people who respond more and less to training over their lifetimes. From the limited data from the DIS, we saw some runners do thousands of miles of training and years of effort, and improve by 5%. We saw others do similar volume and similar time and improve by 74%. So an individual's response will vary from the average response. The average just gives you a good general idea.

Next, the real question after having expectations is how to achieve that increase in speed over time. There are a couple of ways:

1) Consistency. Those who can put in good consistent efforts over time without being injured using appropriate training will see better long term gains. It's not a surprising answer, but it's true.

2) Endurance. Despite what you may think, one of the best ways to increase your overall speed (or short distance PRs like a 5k/10k) is with better endurance. Better endurance comes from a good balanced training plan, and generally speaking, lots of miles and time spent training. So if you've been doing 4-5 hrs of training per week, and you've handled the workload well, not been injured, etc. then see what doing 7-8 hrs of training per week could yield for you. In the absence of injury, the inclusion of more time spent training is one of the easiest ways to increase overall speed. Each of us has a unique cut point in which our bodies tend not to be able to handle more training, even if it's ideal training. For some, that limit is 6-7 hrs, for others maybe 9-10 hrs, and for some resilient runners they do 14-15 hrs per week. I work with a runner that consistently puts in 12-15 hrs of running per week and continues to put in good training sessions without being injured. He's a rare bird in being able to handle that kind of volume. But the data bears it out, that he's at his best when he's doing what I consider an elite level of volume.

Here's my data in a response to a change in volume in my training:

From 2012 to mid-2015, I was typically doing about 800-1100 miles a year. So that breaks down to about 66-92 miles a month, and during my last marathon training cycle in early 2015 I was doing 90-115 miles per month (looks to be about 16 hrs per month). My VDOT hovered around 41 as a peak (23:35 5k). In mid-2015, I changed to Hansons which had me doing 200-230 miles per month (looks to be about 33 hrs per month). My VDOT increased to 45.7 (21:32 5k) after a single training cycle. So about a 9-11% increase in fitness by increasing my overall volume of training.

I spent years at the training volume, (mostly doing variations of Hansons training) and didn't see much of an increase up to Jan 2017. I ended up doing as much as 290 miles in a month. So that initial jump was what made the biggest increase. After that I went from 45.7 to 47 (21:00 5k) in about a little over a year.

3) True speed training that touches all over the pace spectrum. Lastly, comes good tried and true speed training. For me, it was the Daniels 5k/10k training found in his 3rd edition book. At that point in time when I started that training program, I had done 7500 career miles. I didn't expect to see many more gains in overall fitness. But his training plan covered paces that I didn't normally do. Run of the mill speed plans have your traditional 5k intervals (12x400, 8x600, 6x800, 4x1200 and 3x1600). But the Daniels plan did pacing at Mile paces, at VO2max pacing (near 3k), and at Lactate Threshold. Paces I had never worked with before that bracketed the traditional 5k pace speed workouts. And the response I saw off of a single training plan again blew my mind. I went from a VDOT of 47 to 51.4 (21:00 to 19:29 5k) or another 8-11% gain in fitness. So that's my recommendation. Try a speed based plan like Daniels 5k/10k that touches lots of different areas of the pace spectrum.

You can see since that training plan in 2017, I haven't improved much. I've seen my endurance gains from the near doubling of volume, and now the incorporation of a larger swath of training paces has yielded much the same results over the last five years. One caveat to that is I spent much of mid-2018 to mid 2021 doing a combination of run+bike+strength. Despite a massive increase in overall training volume, it did not lead to any increase in fitness. So I'm back to running more like I was between 2015-2018, and hoping with tweaks here and there to see if I can continue to push my personal envelope.

what do you consider to be inexpensive, and what things do you want it to do/track?

I have always been a run by feel person and simply tracked time, distance and pace with a phone app. I honestly have no concept of cost on a running watch, but if I could spend less than 200$ and get something that is easy to use, long battery life and would maintain pace, distance, time, location and be downloadable to a spreadsheet. Is this reasonable? Figured this would be the group to ask.

As I lay here in bed unable to walk with my blisters (I’d post pictures, but I’m sure it would lead to nothing good haha), I am dreaming of what’s next and possible redemption. Once I can use my feet again, my first goal is to lose weight as I am sure my weight does not help me in any way (I’m 5’8” and about 225-230 lbs). It’s not my highest weight (that was 245 pre-pandemic) but I know losing a significant amount would help me feel better— mentally, physically, etc. I know that nutrition matters most here and that’s where I’ll struggle I’m sure. I am definitely a sugar addict. If it seems like I’m making progress here once registration comes, then I might sign up for another Goofy or maybe Dopey for the anniversary. I don’t know.
For the summer, I have a sprint triathlon at the end of July and an Olympic triathlon at the end of August. I will definitely need to improve my swimming for the Olympic distance and hope to improve my running so I can maintain intervals the whole time on tired legs. I love triathlons more than just running (cycling is my fav), so I am excited for this. I wish there was a Disney Tri! Haha.

I've been reading the pertinent chapters in the Daniels book for the 10k plan you suggested. The plans are definitely more complicated than any I've ever used. The thing I am getting hung up on is picking a weekly mileage. My weekly mileage is usually determined by my plan, not the other way around, and can vary significantly depending on what plan I am using. I don't really know where an appropriate starting point is. On the upper end of my HM plans I am in the low 30's miles per week. On the lower end, say during the summer, I can be at 15 miles a week. It feels so arbitrary to just pick a number somewhere in that range.

To piggy back off the other posters request for suggestions. I am looking for something $200 or below and that will read outload your mileage and pace during a run.

I am a Garmin user and love it but the first question you want to ask yourself is what ecosystem do you want to be a part of. If you are a Garmin user that means you'll be in the Garmin Connect ecosystem. You can link to third parties like Strava but your main touchpoint with all of your data will be the Connect app and website. The same is true if you go Fitbit, Apple, or any other sports tech manufacturer.

I personally like and stay in the Garmin ecosystem. As far as sports tech goes they are the best. I am also a data geek and like to have as much as possible so I wear my watch (FR 945) 24/7 and only take it off when I have to. That means I track my steps, sleep, HR, and all of the other data my watch collects. That is in addition to my sports activities. The Garmin purchase of Firstbeat was also exciting from a data point of view.

I don't listen to music when I run or on my watch at all or take calls and I don't keep it connected all the time with my phone for alerts so I can't speak to battery consumption.

I'd start by going to DCRainmaker.com and poking around. Any watch worth owning is reviewed there and you might get some answers there about not only the hardware but the features, functions, and ecosystem. Once you select an ecosystem go look at the options. If you do go the Garmin route they have a pretty good feature filter and compare option (do this on a computer, not phone) and you can compare similar models to only see their differences.

I plan to stay with Garmin and am excited to see what will be included in the Fenix 7 and FR 955 that are likely very close to launch. I'm interested in the LTE functionality only for tracking, I don't care about for music or calls, because it would be nice for my wife to be able to follow me on races or if I'm in the woods running. I also like their integration with inReach if I ever decide to do more remote events.

Now that I'm home from Dopey, I'm feeling a little disappointed and a little more like a failure. I know I did way more than many people can even dream of, but it's hard to deal with missing a goal. This was the first race I ever DNF too so that's extra hard.

When I'm ready to move on, my goals this year will be speed and strength. I definitely need to overhaul my diet and ideally lose 40 pounds, though I'll take 20. I'm registered for a half in May that I was supposed to run in 2020. I'm not sure yet if I'll actually run it.

For tracking I use a Garmin 55, which I bought recently after my 245 stopped holding a charge. I really like it, except I didn't realize until after purchasing that you can't change the setting mid-run like you can with the 245. It's not a big deal, but was kind of annoying when I wanted to switch my run/walk in the middle of the marathon and had to start a whole new run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter