The Running Thread - 2019

Attqotd: i’m Pretty indifferent to it. If I had to be up early for work, or I ran after work I could see in making an impact in some way. It’s pretty much just the herald to the end of the busy season here, which I welcome.

Last edited:
QOTD: Keeping with yesterdays theme a bit, Sunday daylight savings time begins. Who is looking forward to having a little sun in the afternoon to get your runs in without having to worry as much about cars being able to see you?

I'd rather not have daylight saving time. As a morning runner it means its dark during more of my runs again. Also, it does weird things at work. As a business that relies heavily on a 24 hour day, the upcoming 23 hour day throws a wrench in things.

I'd rather not have daylight saving time. As a morning runner it means its dark during more of my runs again. Also, it does weird things at work. As a business that relies heavily on a 24 hour day, the upcoming 23 hour day throws a wrench in things.
I agree - my morning runs will be in the dark for a few weeks because of the change. Also, it will be colder during those runs.

Congrats! I ran MB in 2015, when it was in mid-February. Nice race, nice course, but really windy the year I did it.
I have run the MB marathon about 5 times, all in mid-February. Every single race had 20+ MPH winds. The course is flat, but when running into that wind it doesn't feel like it. :scared:

I stopped running that one because of the wind. If it were less windy, it would be a great BQ course.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy and @BuckeyeBama .......I heard the same thing about the wind being a real issue for this event.

Initial forecasts for the winds were 10-20 mph from the North with rain and t-storms but most of that weather came through Friday.
Race day featured winds less than 10 mph and no rain!

Given my past issues with wind, perhaps the marathon gods decided to go easy on me this year.

QOTD: Keeping with yesterdays theme a bit, Sunday daylight savings time begins. Who is looking forward to having a little sun in the afternoon to get your runs in without having to worry as much about cars being able to see you?

I'm generally a fan of DST, but I think it starts too early and ends too late. (If I had my druthers, I'd set the changes to be closer to the equinoxes.) It'll make my life a bit more difficult for running, because it'll mean getting up before sunrise to run for a couple more weeks.

ATTQOTD: I strongly dislike DST. One great thing about six years in the Middle East was not having to deal with it. I wish the US would put an end to it too. Barring that, I'd like to see most countries make the change on the same date. Two weeks ago, my team in Rio was four hours ahead of me. Now they're three, and next week, they'll be two. Talk about making it hard to keep meeting times straight. :)

ATTQOTD: Yes, I am looking forward to the time change so that I can run after work in DAYLIGHT! Because of the dark, I've been running a loop around my neighborhood because it has fewer busy street crossings and closer to home in case of a problem. After running that loop a bazillion times this winter, last night I managed to trip on the edge of a sidewalk that I've been careful to avoid all winter. Managed to scrape up my hands nicely when catching myself. And only a little more than 0.1 miles left to go!

When it is daylight after work, I can go back to my usual paved trails upon which I have never yet tripped and fallen! (knock on wood!)

But also happy that we are "losing" an hour of sleep this weekend instead of next weekend when it would be the night before my race.

ATTQOTD: I am a fan as far as running is concerned, my lunch run will be slightly cooler as a result of being an hour earlier in the day, and as the temps rise, that's a good thing for me. Also my whole family is planning on running a 5k next month (will add to the list once we are officially registered), and the extra hour of daylight in the evenings means I could do some training with the kids after work in the neighborhood to get them ready.

As far as everything else tho, I already get up a little past 4am, and getting up when my body thinks its 3am is no fun the first week or two.

I love Daylight Saving Time. I am baffled by people that don't. Who cares if it is dark a little later in the morning? 5/7 of the time all that means is you drive to or get ready for work in the dark. Who cares? Give me the light at night when I can enjoy it.

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other though as far as running goes. I run when I can and don't care if it is daylight or pitch black night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter