The Running Thread - 2019

I'm looking forward to more daylight after work :) Right now, I have to rush home from work on weekdays so that I can change and get my run in before it gets too dark. Once the weather gets hot, I'll probably transition back to my morning week day runs where I get up earlier and run before work since that will be the coolest time of the day. But I probably won't need to do that until May or so.

QOTD: Who is looking forward to warmer weather or wishing for it to stay cool/cold for a bit longer?

ATTQOTD: We had what is likely our last freeze of the year last night. I for one would like it to stay cold as long as possible because summer sucks! The truth of the matter though, is it is going to start getting warm by the weekend and our days with the morning low in the 50's is about to be done until late October / November. :(

I am ready for better weather. Had 18” of snow Monday and frigid temps since. It’s getting old.

QOTD: Keeping with yesterdays theme a bit, Sunday daylight savings time begins. Who is looking forward to having a little sun in the afternoon to get your runs in without having to worry as much about cars being able to see you?

ATTQOTD: I am looking forward to it while its still nice outside, but will hate it when its a billion degrees outside. I do look forward to getting the majority of my runs outside starting soon though!

I’m just wanting to run. Period!

Yup! Smuttynose! The after party looks like a blast!

Smuttynose is a great race. I did it last year and I plan to get under 2 hours this year again because the course is suited for speed.

I have an update. I had my follow up with my ankle doctor today. He did his exam and said I show no signs of injury other than my pain. He said it’s not inflammed. The tendon is in place. My ankle strength is excellent. He said PT won’t even help me because it’s already strong. He said there isn’t much he can do for me at this point. He asked what my thoughts were. I told him I want to do my exercises at home, add Yoga to strengthen my muscles more, and start running. I said I would build miles slowly and add in more bike to reduce miles and lessen the impact workouts. He said, “Excellent plan, go for it”. And I will see him if the pain gets too bad and he will do surgery then.

He said I am likely to get a couple years out of my tendon still.

So I feel better. I was holding back for 2 years. Now I just need to be smart about things but feel like I can let loose a little more.

questions!

- Mardi Gras: just experienced my first in New Orleans. It's...something. Am officially parade-ed out. (It has been interesting to observe, though, as this totally isn't my family's culture...Lent for us starts next week, and there really isn't any big thing to mark it off.)

- WARM OMG PLEASE. Not super-hot yet or anything, but I'll take hoodie weather over my face being chapped by the wind. Unfortunately, I think I brought some of the cold down to NOLA, as it's been quite chilly since getting here (was in the 30s yesterday!), despite looking forward to some warmth and sunshine and time in the pool :sad:
Although I'm getting a bit nervous for summer -- I got an AWESOME opportunity to teach for a camp in Hong Kong (!!!) in July, when it's apparently stupidly hot, humid, and under threat of monsoons. Awesome. (Of course, am now frantically researching everything about HK Disneyland, as that would be neat to check out while there.)

- Daylight savings: Ugh to the time change, but yay to longer daylight in the evenings.

Looking forward to the 5k this weekend, as I've been feeling good just walking around the city and it'll be nice to finally feel like getting into a routine with that again.

ATTQOTD: I would rather not have DST. It means waking up in the dark for another while. We would eventually have been able to run in the evening anyway. But now, forget morning. My preference are midday runs in general.

ATTQOTD: I like daylight savings because I hate coming home from work with so little daylight left. It sucks for awhile to go back to the dark in the mornings, but I'd still rather have the light in the evenings - and it's the clearest reminder I have that spring IS coming eventually. :)

We had some of those tornadoes in Georgia, but fortunately it seems everyone here survived. I taught, for a time, in Talbotton, which was also hit hard. Most of the county's people live in poverty and now they've lost what little they had. Praying for all affected and especially for the families of those who died or are still missing. I couldn't believe that the same area was hit with snow flurries and freezing temps last night!

It is so sad. The majority of the people in Lee County were from one neighborhood in Beauregard and mainly in mobile homes so it is unfortunately similar to Talbotton. There were two tornadoes almost back to back that followed the same path. They've finally confirmed that everyone who was missing has been accounted for, so a total of 23 passed away. Very glad that everyone in Georgia was able to survive. The community coming together has been amazing to see, but I hate that these circumstances are what brought us all together.

I'm going to D23 in Anaheim in August, so I plan on seeing it then. And I'm going to Disney World, September 11-15. I have DVC friends who usually go for Wine & Dine in October every year and they wanted September this year so it would be less crowded. I just texted him that his dreams have been dashed.

QOTD: Not running related, but after the big news was released... When are you going to go see Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studious?!?!?!?!

ATTQOTD: Best case at this moment is June 2020.

This is an unpopular opinion, but...never? I’m just not into Star Wars. I’m hoping it will draw lines away from other parts of the parks, but I know it’s going to affect security and entrance lines! Happy for all of you fans though!

Interesting that they're opening Galaxy's Edge in phases. I wouldn't go until it was fully open but I'm thinking maybe next Spring or Fall? January if I give in to the FOMO and end up there for marathon weekend.

ATTQOTD: On the Disneyland side we'll actually be in the parks June 3rd-7th. I was hoping we would miss the opening. But since we'll be there anyway I'm definitely going to try to make a reservation to get in to it. As for the DW version, maybe never? I don't know if I can work Hollywood Studios into my marathon week trip. And if I do, I'm more interested in Toy Story anyway.

ATTQOTD: Tentatively plans for our next trip if 2022. We are assuming they will run a year long celebration for the 50th so we would like to go for that. Plus we figured most of the new things would be up and running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter