The Running Thread - 2018

Have my first 5k this weekend. Going with my 12 yo. Excited!

Very exciting. Have a great time and good luck!

ATTQOTD: I rarely wear hats in the spring/summer unless it's raining, I use sunglasses if I want to keep sun out of my eyes. For me hats hold in too much heat and I've yet to find a visor that I think looks good on me. I do wear stocking caps in the winter when it's cold though.

QOTD: Lets discuss another part of the running gear... hats/visors. With spring/summer eventually on it way (It was in the 40's this weekend here and I have heard the north is still getting snow). Do you wear a hat, visor, or some other form of head gear on your runs?
Not usually. I have before though. In the winter I do more of a headband type thing to cover my ears.

I have never had an IPA so no answer for me for the bonus.

ATTQOTD: No hats for running! Something about seeing the visor out of the corners of my eyes makes me dizzy (I'm weird), but I will occasionally wear a ball cap to a game. I can't make it all 9 innings in one, but at least I try.

Bonus: No particiular favorite, it all depends on mood/weather/activity. Just nothing fruity or sour.

ATTQOTD: I wear visors most of the time. All are either from races or my running club. I prefer visors over hats. I will wear a running hat when it is raining or it is cold, i.e. mid 30s or lower. I really hate to run with nothing on my head, I sweat too much, so I need something to capture it!

Bonus question: I seem to like most craft beers I try, however, I don't go out of my way to purchase beer to drink at home. The race I finished last Sunday, 11 Below brewing was handing out samples of their blonde and amber brews. Good stuff. They also happen to be a sponsor of our running club.

QOTD: Lets discuss another part of the running gear... hats/visors. With spring/summer eventually on it way (It was in the 40's this weekend here and I have heard the north is still getting snow). Do you wear a hat, visor, or some other form of head gear on your runs?

Bonus Question: Since wine was discussed yesterday, today we should turn our attention to craft beer. lol

I tend to sweat heavily and it runs into my eyes and burns without preventive measures. As a result, I ALWAYS run with a hat, to the point that I have accidentally started a run without one and have turned around and gone home to get one before continuing. My favorites are the Headsweats race hats. They are light, wick well and are very breathable. I am so set on wearing hats that it can cause problems in cold weather when I need to cover my ears. It's a challenge to put on a fleece headband over a hat in such a way that it doesn't pull the hat down and smash my glasses down onto the bridge of my nose. But I manage!

Bonus QOTD: Easy summary of craft beers for me: :drinking1= :crazy2:

ATTQOTD: I wore both ear protection and a cap for Dopey 2018! Most of the time I wear something to keep sweat out of my eyes, either a cap, visor, or sweat band depending on the time of year. Hat or visor if it is raining so it doesn't feel like water torture in my face.

Beer and wine -- not for me. DH loves a good IPA, or any craft beer, something he doesn't consider "diet beer."

ATTQOTD:
I wear a fleece ear warmer basically anytime it's under 45F- my ears seem to be really sensitive to wind.
Above 45F, I will often wear a cap with a mesh back, I think it releases the heat better. I don't race is caps though.
(I actually bought a black nike mickey cap at DLR with the intention of wearing it running, but now don't want to get it all sweaty!)

Bonus: I don't drink IPAs. Really, I'm not a huge beer drinker. Can we talk about coffee tomorrow? ;)

ATTQOTD: I am on the hunt for a hat, so I was excited to read this question. I tend to dislike most hats, but I think that I should give it a try as I can use more sun protection than I get from sunglasses alone. Also, I can see the advantage during light precipitation. I have in the last two days misplaced my fleece ear band, and am furious that I cannot purchase another one because it is spring (this is locally declared when Oberon is released, pertaining to the bonus QOTD, but I only like Oberon in the decorative keg-can because I can be swayed by cute and festive). I tried to run in a fleece cap that I had previously used for bicycling, but it kept slipping off without a helmet to hold it on, so I just stuck with the ear band that I cannot find. {tearing up at the thought of no ear band during today's run. Leads to more tears as I wanted to buy new running tights, but the ones I have are no longer available, leading to more tears as I went to REI to use my coupon and it seems Brooks has 'updated' my shoes}

ATTBQOTD: I have strong opinions on this topic. Long before apps, I also had a spreadsheet on this topic. Many years ago All About Beer published a list of '125 Places to have a Beer Before You Die' and my now husband decided we should vacation to check off the very subjective and not all amazing places. We agreed we would never check of "Tailgating at an EC Game." I am not an IPA fan, I like how they smell but not how they taste. As others rage about the trash flavor of cilantro I see IPAs as the same breed of rot. I love Belgians, Hefes, and the spirit of a Feist beer more than many of the actual brews themselves. I think the current crop of gose that seems to be popping up are overrated and trend more towards sours than they should. I like sours, just make it a solid sour and skip the pretense that you have the salt flavor as most of them do not. The part of traveling incessantly for work that I miss is the ability to find beer that we cannot get here. I dream of finding Lost Abby's Judgement Day or Lost & Found, and am sad that I can only seem to find Russian River's more hoppy offerings without flying somewhere. If near DL, I did enjoy a side trip to The Brewery and have been happy that they now distribute near me. It was very low key and a good break from the conference center.

ATTQOTD: I always wear a hat. I sweat a lot so the hat minimizes the amount of time I have to wipe the sweat from my forehead. It's also good for tucking all my hair in. A swinging ponytail is a distraction to me.

I don't wear hats. I don't like them. I do have a winter cap that I will wear in extreme cold, but I would wear a headband. Plus it looks really ratty as its covered in cat hair and not machine washable so it is a less than appealing choice. I do like sunglasses though.

Bonus: I love wine. With the summer coming, definitely rosé all day. DH and I are picky and will only drink imported wines, mainly European - blame it on our time overseas. For Beer, we are lucky that there are a ton of craft breweries in New England; we even have 1 five minutes from our house. In Maine, I enjoy Rising Tide and Banded Horn for their variety. I do not like Heady Topper, but do like Sip of Sunshine. I really like Wormtown. And we waited 2 hours recently for Treehouse Brewery. Normally, we would never wait that long to buy beer, but it is a b-day gift for BIL.

QOTD: Its been a while since we had a running sock discussion, so lets revisit it today. What type of sock do you run in? Which ones have you tried and found just dont work for you?

The Asics Unisex Quick Lyte Cushion Single Tab socks are probably my favorite but I have a bunch of different brands I rotate through. As long as they are not too thick and are wicking I'm good.

When the temperature is low I run with a wicking winter cap or at least ear covers. I often end up taking it off once I warm up but I'll start with one or the other once it is down in the 30s.

I also have a few baseball-style running hats that are vented and wicking as well. I rarely wear them but have found when the temperatures are high (usually about 90 or above) and the sky is cloudless the light colored hats actually make me feel cooler. I have probably only worn them 3 or 4 times though. I would normally wait until later in the day if I had to run when it was that sunny and hot. Holding them under the water when I stop for a during or run past a fountain helps on those hot days as well.

ATTQOTD: Only wear hats when I don't feel like making my hair presentable....which is most days. I'll run in a visor now and then, but mostly just put my hair in a ponytail and add a sweaty band. I'm a dork and wear a sweatband on my wrist to wipe the sweat off my face.

Bonus QOTD: I'm not a big fan of IPA. They are just too heavy. I like light crisp beers or a cider.

I'm a dork and wear a sweatband on my wrist to wipe the sweat off my face.

I just ordered one of these to try out:
https://www.sqooshbands.com/

I hate sweat in my eyes and am constantly wiping my face with my hands and trying to dry them on my moisture wicking tank which never works, lol. My marathon in Waco next month is supposed to be pretty hot so I wanted to give these a try. It should be here Friday. :)

I have run this twice as it is less than an hour from home. It is a pretty course and I don't consider it terribly hilly. It is not flat, but the elevation gain is gradual. (According to my Strava, the largest gain in elevation is during mile 12 at 41 feet. Next are miles nine and thirteen at 26 feet. The rest of the miles were less than 20 feet or even negative.)

My biggest complaint is that, while running along the river is pretty, it also means a good portion of that part of the course is banked. It is an open course and, unfortunately, the flatter portions of the road always seem to be on the wrong side.

Now that Shenandoah Half the week before? That course is a beast.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Or I can send you some screenshots of the elevation changes per mile.

ETA: Obviously the banking of the road didn’t keep me from running it a second time. I just wouldn’t run it as a POT. :)

Thanks for letting me know! It looks like such a pretty run and so different than what I look at everyday in FL. I'm from New England so I miss "real" forests!

that would be one to check the projected/historical temperatures as well. a race like that is going to be work so facing higher temps/humidity might be asking a bit much if you aren't prepared. tree cover will be a factor too.

I live in FL so I know heat and humidity. I did look at the historical weather data and it's far cooler and less humid than central FL in September!

I just ordered one of these to try out:
https://www.sqooshbands.com/

I hate sweat in my eyes and am constantly wiping my face with my hands and trying to dry them on my moisture wicking tank which never works, lol. My marathon in Waco next month is supposed to be pretty hot so I wanted to give these a try. It should be here Friday. :)

Those look awesome so I just bought one!

ATTQOTD: no hats. Ever. Other than a pony tail I don't like things touching my head. I'm weird. I know.

Bonus: I love a good beer. In college I dated this guy that insisted I learn to appreciate craft beers in order to date him. In the fall, after a run is an IPA. Also on the rare cold summer days IPA works as well. I'm not really picky where it comes from, I like to try most of the local breweries. In summer it is more anything goes. The only kind of beer I really avoid is anything as dark as Guinness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter