The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to DSNY in this YouTube clip
at the 2:50 mark he claims Voyage of the Little Mermaid could be coming to a end sometime in 2018. I havent watched many videos from this guy and not sure if its a legit source or not, but thought it was worth finding out if anyone else has heard anything about this?

at the 2:50 mark he claims Voyage of the Little Mermaid could be coming to a end sometime in 2018. I havent watched many videos from this guy and not sure if its a legit source or not, but thought it was worth finding out if anyone else has heard anything about this?
Its been mentioned as a vague rumor. I usually don't credit DSNY as he is more like the TMZ of Disney news.

I think he does a good job of quickly summarizing rumors and news that other people source/put out. Sometimes he is really good at giving credit with where he takes them from, but then other times not so much

I wouldn't view that as a "source" in and of itself, more just another place to her compiled news on a given topic

I am just surprised we've heard so little about the rest of DHS.

We've seen concept art of a revamped Epcot (that who knows will be coming), but why not the rest of DHS?
The rumors have been around for a while of the rename, so they obviously have some sort of "vision" for the rest of Hollywood Studios, don't they?

It feels that all the "old" attractions will probably stick around for years just to help DHS get back on its feet and finally have a decent number of attractions to spread the crowds that will come to basically check out half the park being brand new.

But it just feels that eventually everything in the Echo Lake/Animation Courtyard area "should" go as they don't really fit anymore.
- Star Tours is an attraction out of its element (no immersion). It could have fit in SWGE as it is (as a "tour" ship).
- Indiana Jones is dated. While a stunt show is fun, the way it is written doesn't make sense for a theme park whose theme is no longer "making of movies".
- The old sound stage attraction sits, rotting away (the theatre is in horrible condition) filled with a short movie or two.
- I suspect Launch Bay will go (why have Star Wars Meet and Greets outside of the new "land") and be replaced with something.
- Is the "old Hollywood" theme going to be retained? (I sure hope so!)

DHS seems like it could continue to add immersive themed "lands" and sorta be like Islands of Adventure, but could be a long time coming.

We've seen concept art of a revamped Epcot (that who knows will be coming), but why not the rest of DHS?
The rumors have been around for a while of the rename, so they obviously have some sort of "vision" for the rest of Hollywood Studios, don't they?

It feels that all the "old" attractions will probably stick around for years just to help DHS get back on its feet and finally have a decent number of attractions to spread the crowds that will come to basically check out half the park being brand new.

But it just feels that eventually everything in the Echo Lake/Animation Courtyard area "should" go as they don't really fit anymore.
- Star Tours is an attraction out of its element (no immersion). It could have fit in SWGE as it is (as a "tour" ship).
- Indiana Jones is dated. While a stunt show is fun, the way it is written doesn't make sense for a theme park whose theme is no longer "making of movies".
- The old sound stage attraction sits, rotting away (the theatre is in horrible condition) filled with a short movie or two.
- I suspect Launch Bay will go (why have Star Wars Meet and Greets outside of the new "land") and be replaced with something.

DHS seems like it could continue to add immersive themed "lands" and sorta be like Islands of Adventure, but could be a long time coming.
I agree, DHS is becoming that 'other park' and is losing much of its appeal. However this will undoubtedly change come 2019 when Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land are open. Personally I believe DHS will remain unchanged following the 50th anniversary, as it will have had over 5 new rides and significant expenditure etc already added to it.

The front of DHS will stay old Hollywood so echo Lake still works.

Launch Bay is expected to go once SWGE opens. No word on what would go there. Star tours is also expected to change to a different IP.

Which sound stage are you referring to? The park was filled with sound stages.

Launch Bay is expected to go once SWGE opens. No word on what would go there. Star tours is also expected to change to a different IP.

Echo Lake (and the restaurants) does still work, so I hope it remains or an attraction is added (where Indiana Jones is) to make it better.

What I meant by sound stage was the old Drew Carey "sound" attraction (I remember it as a Monster sound effects show in the late 80s).
That has been nothing but a place to show movie previews for a long time now. (What is it even now?). When I went in there summer of 2015, I saw the first Frozen short. It was smelly, the seats were broken. It was like sitting in an old budget theatre. Even the floor was sticky.

I agree, DHS is becoming that 'other park' and is losing much of its appeal. However this will undoubtedly change come 2019 when Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land are open. Personally I believe DHS will remain unchanged following the 50th anniversary, as it will have had over 5 new rides and significant expenditure etc already added to it.

I'm okay with it becoming that "other park" .. as Universal Studios ditched the whole "making of movies" thing pretty quickly (compared to DHS). I was in Universal Studios last in 2010 and it felt very dated. They have immensely turned that around in a short time and if I were to go back today it would be a totally new park with many new attractions replacing things like Jaws, Disaster!, Twister!, Terminator 2 3D, etc.

While the "making of movies" theme was fun back in the 80s and 90s, that industry has changed where "movie magic" is simply CGI and less physical sets and tricks. So having a park themed around stunt shows and recreating a "disaster" every few minutes and looking fake city facades just isn't special in today's age. It's all about the immersive movie experience and Universal figured that out before Disney. I am glad they are following suit. I think they could add more one immersive land in DHS to make it feel complete.

It feels like they could tear down Little Mermaid, Launch Bay and Disney Junior (and some backstage stuff) and have room for something else in there right between Toy Story Land and Rock N Roller Coaster.

Most definitely such attractions as Little Mermaid etc. are becoming dated and old. I agree that today its about themed lands and immersive experiences. Another small themed area would be sufficient in that space, possibly

Echo Lake (and the restaurants) does still work, so I hope it remains or an attraction is added (where Indiana Jones is) to make it better.

What I meant by sound stage was the old Drew Carey "sound" attraction (I remember it as a Monster sound effects show in the late 80s).
That has been nothing but a place to show movie previews for a long time now. (What is it even now?). When I went in there summer of 2015, I saw the first Frozen short. It was smelly, the seats were broken. It was like sitting in an old budget theatre. Even the floor was sticky.
My guess is that theater will stay as is until they have a permanent replacement for that building or area. Could be when Star Tours changes.

My guess is that theater will stay as is until they have a permanent replacement for that building or area. Could be when Star Tours changes.

Couldn't they easily convert Mermaid into an updated although smaller 'laugh floor' to me it seems an obvious option

Slow news day ;)

Per Martin at WDWMagic.com - Adventure land has two options for changes - that being Tiki Room and Tree house - per Martin leading option at last check was Moana joining the birds, no more info on that, and no info on what might happen to Tree house...some speculate it may be Tarzan.

Also per Magicfeather @ WDWMagic.com - no shows are confirmed for update at DHS, but one show has a shot. Per Magic - BatB was set to be closed and revamped and plan was scrapped just a few days before shut down.

Slow news day ;)

Per Martin at WDWMagic.com - Adventure land has two options for changes - that being Tiki Room and Tree house - per Martin leading option at last check was Moana joining the birds, no more info on that, and no info on what might happen to Tree house...some speculate it may be Tarzan.

Also per Magicfeather @ WDWMagic.com - no shows are confirmed for update at DHS, but one show has a shot. Per Magic - BatB was set to be closed and revamped and plan was scrapped just a few days before shut down.
The Tarzan rumor is very interesting to me as the new ride system that Disney has created using the pendulum mentioned both Spiderman and Tarzan. This could be a very big addition to MK if they were to do it, but also it does not seem like enough space.

I actually disagree that Echo lake still works. I have never really thought it worked at all, but now even less so.

The main strip Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard both work, certainly. But once you make that left toward hollywood and vine behind the shops I actually don't think it works. I think it looks tired and out of place. I never understood the lake, or the dinosaur, at all. But, thats just my opinion, I mean, some people think the food at Hollywood and Vine is good ... ;)

I actually disagree that Echo lake still works. I have never really thought it worked at all, but now even less so.

The main strip Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard both work, certainly. But once you make that left toward hollywood and vine behind the shops I actually don't think it works. I think it looks tired and out of place. I never understood the lake, or the dinosaur, at all. But, thats just my opinion, I mean, some people think the food at Hollywood and Vine is good ... ;)
Gertie is very old Hollywood originating in 1914 animation. It was something that influenced Walt Disney. They could get rid of Hollywood and Vine but I think the lake is fine. Also another reason the lake is there is because it created the largest hidden Mickey at WDW.

Gertie the Dinosaur - Wikipedia

looksooocooll_1234.jpg

Gertie is very old Hollywood originating in 1914 animation. It was something that influenced Walt Disney. They could get rid of Hollywood and Vine but I think the lake is fine. Also another reason the lake is there is because it created the largest hidden Mickey at WDW.

Gertie the Dinosaur - Wikipedia

View attachment 283765

The hidden mickey is pretty damn awesome, and maybe she has a history, but ... I don't know. I don't think its something -most people- associate with old hollywood, which is why it never really made sense to me. My wife loves Gertie, but like me, she can't fathom what she is doing there, I will let her know though :)

The hidden mickey is pretty damn awesome, and maybe she has a history, but ... I don't know. I don't think its something -most people- associate with old hollywood, which is why it never really made sense to me. My wife loves Gertie, but like me, she can't fathom what she is doing there, I will let her know though :)

I think there is a ton of stuff "hidden" stuff at Hollywood Studios that most guests might not get - but things like Gertie and a bunch of the store windows, etc, there are a ton of details taht tie back to old Hollywood/history of movies that I would hate if the lost

For example, one of the window says 'Valiant Detective Agency' from 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' (it's above Hollywood and Vine Restaurant on Echo Lake).

And to build on what @rteetz said, Gertie is actually credited as being the worlds first animated movie (so obviously important given the role animation played on everything Disney being started) and the tag line for the movie was “Gertie – She’s a scream” - which is why it is an ice scream stand

And smaller things, like Min and Bill's (which, I guess their names are being removed) but the Min and Bill's movies from the 30s were a big money maker for MGM and there are smaller details around that - such as a create that reads "Rosebud Sled Company" - things like that

I think there is a ton of stuff "hidden" stuff at Hollywood Studios that most guests might not get - but things like Gertie and a bunch of the store windows, etc, there are a ton of details taht tie back to old Hollywood/history of movies that I would hate if the lost

For example, one of the window says 'Valiant Detective Agency' from 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' (it's above Hollywood and Vine Restaurant on Echo Lake).

And to build on what @rteetz said, Gertie is actually credited as being the worlds first animated movie (so obviously important given the role animation played on everything Disney being started) and the tag line for the movie was “Gertie – She’s a scream” - which is why it is an ice scream stand

And smaller things, like Min and Bill's (which, I guess their names are being removed) but the Min and Bill's movies from the 30s were a big money maker for MGM and there are smaller details around that - such as a create that reads "Rosebud Sled Company" - things like that

I mean, I get your point, but if most people (and I am guessing the VAST majority of people, I am on boards all the time, and read disney stuff virtually every day and have for years, and I had no clue), if most people don't get it, and it does nothing to improve their vacation, or experience at HS, in fact if it just seems weird and out of place ... I can't really see the purpose in it.

But of course, we all have our preferences :)

I mean, I get your point, but if most people (and I am guessing the VAST majority of people, I am on boards all the time, and read disney stuff virtually every day and have for years, and I had no clue), if most people don't get it, and it does nothing to improve their vacation, or experience at HS, in fact if it just seems weird and out of place ... I can't really see the purpose in it.

But of course, we all have our preferences :)

I totally get that - and I wouldn't expect/want 100% of Disney trips to be hidden stuff ... but I do think that sort of thing differentiates Disney from other destinations so I wouldn't want to see all of those types of things go away either

Take it with a grain of salt but there is a recent “last minute” proposal that would have Star tours remain and exit into SWGE however is unlikely due to the reconfiguration that they would need to do to the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter