The Official Riviera Owners & Info Thread

If I wanted to arrange for a tour of Riviera before our arrival what is the best way to do so? We're staying elsewhere on property and it's kind of a pain to get over there using resort transportation. We'll have a car.

Can anybody “guess” when DVC will release more points for this resort?
Thanks

Those pictures of your recent stay…I thought I was OK with not buying… but … Love Riviera

Just putting this out there in case you need a nudge…. if you are thinking of buying, I believe the current promotion for members ends August 3rd. :)

I have been a DRR owner since it launched and have only managed two visits which makes me sad. My next visit won’t be until next summer.
I don't think that sounds too bad, since it was open like 3-4 months, then closed for a while, and then has been open again for around a year!! We bought in Feb 2020 and have only had one trip do Disney since then, which we just came home from.

I’m genuinely gutted, looks like our September trip is about to go by the wayside as we still can’t enter the US (understandably considering the abysmal way our government here in UK is handling COVID).

We bought our RIV contract January 2020 and this will be the 3rd time we’ve had to cancel our ’Welcome Home’ stay! We had toured at the end of 2019, and had been looking into DVC for years but haven’t managed a single stay since we completed our purchase (we’ve also more recently bought a small resale contract at the Poly that has also remained unused!)

I love following this thread because it’s such a beautiful resort, but it also makes me so hugely jealous, we have another trip booked for December, maybe we’ll be able to make that one!

Curious what people's thoughts are on the "proper" abbreviation of the Riviera Resort is/should be, since I've seen it a few different ways on this thread.

RR
DRR
RIV

Personally, I like RIV (which seems to be the most popular?), but the others seem more consistent with most other resorts.

Curious what people's thoughts are on the "proper" abbreviation of the Riviera Resort is/should be, since I've seen it a few different ways on this thread.

RR
DRR
RIV

Personally, I like RIV (which seems to be the most popular?), but the others seem more consistent with most other resorts.
Now that you mention it I've seen them all. I think I like RIV best, but also think I've been using RR when I abbreviate it for some reason. Only when the context is obvious, though. If it were somewhere where that resort hadn't been the main topic of the thread I think I would actually write it out the first time, or use RIV maybe.

Just putting this out there in case you need a nudge…. if you are thinking of buying, I believe the current promotion for members ends August 3rd. :)
We are looking at adding on in the next year or so. Does everyone think the current promotion/price per point will be the cheapest option we will have in that time frame? We are looking at 200-250 points.

RR
DRR
RIV

So as an official namer of the Riviera Promenade :) (that is the walkway along the lake) I would like to throw in my thinking.

I think it comes down to how you describe it. I think Disney's Riviera Resort is overkill and Riviera Resort doesn't need to be fully said as there is no Riviera Theme Park or Riviera Food Emporium.

I vote for just RIV.

The reason places like VGF or BWV have extra V is simply because there is a hotel side so you need to specify it is the villas. You can see with OKW or BLT it doesn't have anything but the name in it. Another example of a single name resort is Aulani which is then abbreviated at AUL.

How about this for a new abbreviations?
DSSRS = Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
BLTDCR = Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
TVDGFRS = The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

My favorite though is:
CCVCDWL = Copper Creek Villas and Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge and is pronounced (s-vuh-s-d-wall) just rolls off the tongue haha

So as an official namer of the Riviera Promenade :) (that is the walkway along the lake) I would like to throw in my thinking.

I think it comes down to how you describe it. I think Disney's Riviera Resort is overkill and Riviera Resort doesn't need to be fully said as there is no Riviera Theme Park or Riviera Food Emporium.

I vote for just RIV.

The reason places like VGF or BWV have extra V is simply because there is a hotel side so you need to specify it is the villas. You can see with OKW or BLT it doesn't have anything but the name in it. Another example of a single name resort is Aulani which is then abbreviated at AUL.

How about this for a new abbreviations?
DSSRS = Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
BLTDCR = Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
TVDGFRS = The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

My favorite though is:
CCVCDWL = Copper Creek Villas and Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge and is pronounced (s-vuh-s-d-wall) just rolls off the tongue haha

I agree with the pp that RR and DRR fit more with the general way of abbreviating Disney resorts. However, I sometimes use Cont instead of CR, Poly instead of, well anything (I never know what they mean when someone uses PVR I always have to stop and think about what they are referring to), Pop
Instead of PC or PCR, and obviously All Star Sports has to have its own abbreviation lol. Then all star movies and music have to be differentiated. So RIV wouldn’t be the only one to deviate from the norm. However, having said that, I had to refer to Riviera on a few other threads today and found myself using DRR or RR, so I guess old habits die hard! I’ll wait and see what becomes most common over time before committing to one abbreviation!

Got home yesterday from our latest trip and wanted to share an experience.

We used the Skyliner to visit BW as we had never seen those units. We walked back to the IG and were told it was down for technical difficulties. CM said head back to BW and buses would pick up for the Skyliner resorts. So we made our third trip down the surface of the sun(boardwalk) to wait for a bus. We asked the CMs at BW and none of them had any info when buses might arrive. Drivers to other locations also were not aware if any had been dispatched. After waiting 40 minutes we called for a Lyft because at a certain point you have to take responsibility for yourself.

When we arrived at RIV I used the resort email and let them know the situation, specifically that no one at BW is tasked with directing guests and being there to assure you that transport is coming. The GM on duty called me within 5 minutes of that email. Very apologetic at the situation and had already issued a credit to our account that more than covered the Lyft. He was very appreciative of the feedback and sounded sincere that it was a good idea and one that would be passed on to have BW actively participate in these situations. I was quite satisfied that the feedback system works and the credit was just a bonus we were not expecting or fishing for.

We are looking at adding on in the next year or so. Does everyone think the current promotion/price per point will be the cheapest option we will have in that time frame? We are looking at 200-250 points.

Based on the history of incentives offered for RIV, it seems like the best incentives are always the current ones. I only wish we bought ours sooner! We just bought 200 at RIV before 8/4 because of that.

I’ll wait and see what becomes most common over time before committing to one abbreviation!
Certainly, there may never be one accepted abbreviation, as it is with several other resorts (I still see VGF and GFV as well as VGC and GCV). I'll keep using RIV until/unless I sense another version taking over.

RIVIERA'S BE OUR GUEST LIST
Will you be joining us at the Riviera? Comment on this thread with your dates to be added below!

January
Jimmy Mouse: January 2-8
Transferteck: Jan 13-17, Tower Studio
IceSkatingPrincess: January 14-19, 1-Bedroom SV
MamaJessie: January 17-22, Studio
Akck: January 19-23, Tower Studio & January 23-28, Deluxe Studio SV

January 17-21, Deluxe Studio

February
Evita_W: February 10-16
Transferteck: February 13-15, Tower Studio
havoc315: February 18-22, 2-Bedroom LO SV
Lorana: February 18-22, 2-Bedroom LO SV
jamesweikamp: February 28 - March 6, Tower Studio

Please update our stay in January 2022.

Our original plan was to change resorts for the tower stay (January 19-23), to either BLT or AK-Kidani at 7 months and stay in a RIV deluxe studio January 23-28. Due to the skyliner being down for maintenance that week, we decided to flip our dates. Of course, a standard deluxe studio was unavailable that week, so the stalking began. In the end with many changes, we’re now locked in (booked our airfare), to a standard studio from January 17-21, with 4-day stay at AK-Kidani following.

Thanks.

Please update our stay in January 2022.

Our original plan was to change resorts for the tower stay (January 19-23), to either BLT or AK-Kidani at 7 months and stay in a RIV deluxe studio January 23-28. Due to the skyliner being down for maintenance that week, we decided to flip our dates. Of course, a standard deluxe studio was unavailable that week, so the stalking began. In the end with many changes, we’re now locked in (booked our airfare), to a standard studio from January 17-21, with 4-day stay at AK-Kidani following.

Thanks.
We did the same week switch because of the Skyliner, but I could only find a preferred view.

eta - Well because of this post I went just to see and saw the 18th-22nd available at standard so I switched that part to standard and have just one day at the preferred view.

Now I have two things I am stalking. Is this just life as a DVC member? :confused3:rotfl:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter