The Official Riviera Owners & Info Thread

Hello!

We just got back from 2 weeks at the YC. We plan on staying at Disney's Riviera next trip since we will have an infant with us and need a 1 bedroom. We are def epcot resort area people who usually stay at either bc, yc or bw how do you think we will feel about riviera we will have a car. We really want to try it since it's new and we need the one bedroom amenities with a baby.

Hello!

We just got back from 2 weeks at the YC. We plan on staying at Disney's Riviera next trip since we will have an infant with us and need a 1 bedroom. We are def epcot resort area people who usually stay at either bc, yc or bw how do you think we will feel about riviera we will have a car. We really want to try it since it's new and we need the one bedroom amenities with a baby.
Just so you know, there are one bedroom villas at Boardwalk and Beach Club too.

I think you'll like Riviera though, and it has a lot of features that are good if you have an infant. The skyliner is very easy with a stroller--you just wheel the stroller on and wheel it off, no folding required. It's a very compact resort which makes it convenient to get around with a baby in tow--you wouldn't even need to bring the stroller if you are just popping down to the pool or to eat with the little one. The views especially from the higher floors are really nice, so great for sitting on the balcony during naps. And the 1-bedroom configuration is a really good layout--you can get from the bedroom to the bathroom and the entrance without going through the living room, which is great again for napping and parents taking turns in the room while the other goes out after the little one's bedtime.

The only downside is the skyliner goes down if there are storms, so if traveling during the summer months and planning on midday breaks, I recommend heading back to the resort a little on the early side before the afternoon rainstorms hit.

Many people have reported on DISboards that they were allowed to order off the kids’ menu when paying OOP (as opposed to using the Dining Plan) at an a la carte restaurant, not at a buffet, family style or AYCTE. They also frequently report being served an adult-size portion at a higher price than the kids’ menu price.

Anybody can order a kid's size meal off the kid's menu at a Disney owned and operated ala carte restaurant.
You can be 50 years old and order a kid's meal.

Do the deluxe Studios have a little freezer area in the fridge

Yes they do. Tower studios do not. In the deluxe studio, I was able to freeze a bottle of water by the second night. It worked great keeping another bottle of water cold through mid afternoon and gave cold water as it melted.

My daughter & I had breakfast at Topolino's Terrace last month & just loved it. We're staying at Riviera in July but won't be eating at Topolino's. My husband & my Mom will be on this trip. We wanted to take them out to the terrace to see the view. Can we do that even though we're not eating at the restaurant?

what has your experience with the skyliner been? I took it from BCV to RIV for dinner and back on my last trip and LOVED it. However, there are a few concerns my significant other has brought up:

1. How has the reliability been based on what you’ve heard or experience? I know it’ll stop with thunderstorms, but, generally, is it in use most of the time you need it.

2. Have you experienced delays while ON the Skyliner (ie sitting in the cabin waiting). How long have those typically been.

3. This relates to #2, but my fiancé is concerned at times when it stops the cabin will be too hot. The airflow while moving keeps it cool. I told her we don’t plan to go in the dead of summer, but I wondered if anyone has experienced a hang up on a hot day while in the cabin.

4. What has the experience with lines been? Do you think it’s going to get worse? We just walked right on when we went, but it was at a time of reduced capacity. It makes no sense to want to use a form of transportation that takes forever to get on it.

5. I’ve ridden to Epcot, but how is the ride to Hollywood Studios? Any differences?

6. Any other thoughts on the skyliner that are important and not asked above?

Sorry to drill down so much, but the skyliner is a huge selling point of the resort for me. I own at Poly for the Monorail and MK. However, we are big fans of split stays, so it’s be great to have a resort that can easily accommodate Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and we would plan our split stay park visits accordingly. BWV and BCV are not on the table for me due to 2042 expiration, so this is the next best thing. Many thanks in advance!!!

1. How has the reliability been based on what you’ve heard or experience? I know it’ll stop with thunderstorms, but, generally, is it in use most of the time you need it.

We have never had any problems riding it when we wanted.

2. Have you experienced delays while ON the Skyliner (ie sitting in the cabin waiting). How long have those typically been.

Most delays are less than one minute, likely to load/unload an ECV. Our longest was less than 5 minutes. There can be anywhere from 0 to 5 delays on any ride, most being just a slowdown.

3. This relates to #2, but my fiancé is concerned at times when it stops the cabin will be too hot. The airflow while moving keeps it cool. I told her we don’t plan to go in the dead of summer, but I wondered if anyone has experienced a hang up on a hot day while in the cabin.

While it does get warmer during a stop, there still is airflow through the gondola. The only problem would be a major stoppage during a sunny afternoon. I’d just bring out our battery fans if it happens.

4. What has the experience with lines been? Do you think it’s going to get worse? We just walked right on when we went, but it was at a time of reduced capacity. It makes no sense to want to use a form of transportation that takes forever to get on it.

The only lines we experienced were at park open and close. Even then the wait was less than 20 minutes as the line moves continuously. The worst I’ve heard was maybe a hour after park close at Epcot.

5. I’ve ridden to Epcot, but how is the ride to Hollywood Studios? Any differences?

The only difference is you exit at CBR and get on the HS line. A queue may be involved depending on time of day.

If it gets shutdown due to thunderstorm/high winds, they do run buses for the skyliner resorts.

My family and I just got back from WDW. We toured Riviera and were sold on it (in the process of starting a contract). However we were staying at AoA and so we used the Skyliner/gondola a lot to get to Epcot/HS
1. It was very reliable, only a few very brief stops.
2. We had a delay occur twice (different days). They were both short (less than 2 minutes). They announced it in the cars to so people knew of the delay. I think it was due to a rider having issues or adding a gondola from the disability line.
3. Can't speak to this as it wasn't too hot when we were there, but the shade was good in the cabins.
4. We went and the lines were always short except at the start of the day and park closing. For the park closing we just took the bus which was much faster. Also I know this was all during the % reduction of crowds.
5. You will have to transfer at the Caribbean Skyliner hub and get in a new line. Great ride just like to Epcot. My middle (3 y/o) said this was one of her favorite "rides."
6. My children loved the characters on it, and tried to guess which one we would get next : )

^ Thanks for the responses. Like I said, we stayed at BCV and, honestly, since the RIV resort is so compact (lobby and all), I almost feel like we arrived at Epcot from RIV(door step to entrance) in the same amount of time it took to go from BCV to Epcot. It was fantastic!

We LOVE that aspect as well! Whatever you want Boom you’re there. And... much of it staying inside in the A/C :). Yaaass.
Agree 100%. I wish more of the resorts were like this. I let my 9-year-olds be a lot more "free range" at this resort because I knew they wouldn't get lost. I'm normally the worst kind of helicopter parent so that was a big deal for me! We also went for a late-night swim every night after the parks because it was so quick to get to the main pool, which was such a blast.

Just booked 7/16-7/18. We're checking into Loews Royal Pacific 7/18 for Universal but after staying at CBR in April, we fell in love with The Riviera & decided to add on a stay for a surprise for our daughter's 13th. Birthday. Can a 12 year old order off of the children's menu at Topolino's for dinner?
Many people have reported on DISboards that they were allowed to order off the kids’ menu when paying OOP (as opposed to using the Dining Plan) at an a la carte restaurant, not at a buffet, family style or AYCTE. They also frequently report being served an adult-size portion at a higher price than the kids’ menu price.
By the way, the rigatoni (?), which is the best thing on the children's menu, is also available on the main menu in a larger portion. My kids (9, 5) devoured their individual portions, and also shared the grownup appetizers, and asked for more rigatoni, which they brought and did not charge us.

Big News!!! After much thought and deliberation, as well as a lot of help from this message board, I added on 125 points at Riviera direct. So excited to get my blue card and so many years at such an amazing resort. Thanks to everyone who helped answer all my questions along the way.

I think with new mask policy we are getting closer to fuller capacity on the Skyliner which would help at park open/close.

Do I think 100% capacity? No

I do think though they will look to have groups of 1-3 share the gondola with another group of 1-3 sometime in the coming months.

what has your experience with the skyliner been? I took it from BCV to RIV for dinner and back on my last trip and LOVED it. However, there are a few concerns my significant other has brought up:

Sorry to drill down so much, but the skyliner is a huge selling point of the resort for me. I own at Poly for the Monorail and MK. However, we are big fans of split stays, so it’s be great to have a resort that can easily accommodate Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and we would plan our split stay park visits accordingly. BWV and BCV are not on the table for me due to 2042 expiration, so this is the next best thing. Many thanks in advance!!!
Skyliner was down quite a bit for our 3 day stay last July. I think they were being extra cautious about lightning. We could see if it was down right from our balcony and we just headed right to the bus stop. It was kind of a let down the amount of times it went down but the busses ran like clockwork. It stopped one time heading back from HS and they had a bus right away. Not sure if it goes down coming back from EPCOT though since the bus stop is all the way on the other side of the park. One day trying to get to HS there was a huge line at the transfer station about 30 minutes in the blazing sun. Overall, I love the resort and the Skyliner!

Yeah, I imagine
Skyliner was down quite a bit for our 3 day stay last July. I think they were being extra cautious about lightning. We could see if it was down right from our balcony and we just headed right to the bus stop. It was kind of a let down the amount of times it went down but the busses ran like clockwork. It stopped one time heading back from HS and they had a bus right away. Not sure if it goes down coming back from EPCOT though since the bus stop is all the way on the other side of the park. One day trying to get to HS there was a huge line at the transfer station about 30 minutes in the blazing sun. Overall, I love the resort and the Skyliner!

I’m interested to see how it does now that COVID restrictions are lightening up. When we rode, it was only my party on the skyliner (my fiancé and I). I imagine they’ll fill it up with more people to keep the line moving in the future.

I think it’ll be a bit of a bummer for those who stay at Riviera in the summer months. Florida seems to always get those afternoon thunderstorms that time of year. We don’t go in the summer much, so hopefully we can dodge that bullet as much as possible. Our last visit had us taking a skyliner from BCV to RIV, and it made me a believer in what’s possible if it’s running right and working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter