• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official October 2012 Car Rental Thread

HOLY COW!!:cool1: That dollar deal is amazing! Thank you so much! I would never have seen that deal as it only comes up in the booking process and not under specials. I just booked a minivan for the week for $225 +tx($301 tot). It was going to cost me $125 for a 1 day rental through the car care center. Is Dollar on property of MCO? I made that mistake once and what a pain having to take the shuttle bus.

Yes, Dollar is located right in the airport.

Thanks for sharing the information about Dollar! I reserved a mini-van for a week for only $301 (including taxes/fees). We haven't even committed to wanting a rental car yet but that deal is too good to pass up in case we decide we want one! The next lowest price I'd found for that week was just under $600.

Thank you so much for the dollar info! I just got a mini-van for the 13-22nd of October for $381.29. :cool1:

Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the counter with Dollar?

I've been so used to that additional driver fee I didn't know anyone didn't charge it.
An additional driver is included with all Costco Codes, and I think some companies include it if you join their loyalty program. But I didn't see that listed as a perk with Dollar.

Thanks for sharing the information about Dollar! I reserved a mini-van for a week for only $301 (including taxes/fees). We haven't even committed to wanting a rental car yet but that deal is too good to pass up in case we decide we want one! The next lowest price I'd found for that week was just under $600.

That was our experience too! I just simply couldn't stomach the $600 again. We've paid that before and naturally HATED it. I was looking at smaller vehicle options but we can only go just so small w/ all our "gear". Minivans are usually only outstripped by convertibles and maxi-vans for high rental rates so this was a BOON! I couldn't believe those specials. It does come up and automatically fill in codes for you when you click on it.

An additional driver is included with all Costco Codes, and I think some companies include it if you join their loyalty program. But I didn't see that listed as a perk with Dollar.
I guess it's never been offered to me as free at Alamo and National which are the only 2 places I am in a loyalty program. And all other places have always asked if I wanted to add a driver to which we just always decline and one of us drives. Which actually, has worked out becuase we have discovered that my DH is TERRIBLE driving in strange areas. He gets UGLY nasty, so to keep the fights from happening and us careening into Disney grass again :rolleyes1 (yes, it happened), I drive and everyone is happy. Except me. I hate driving. :rotfl: The things moms do to keep the peace. ;)

Thanks for the KLM Code.

National Car Rental
Pickup: 10/11 10am
Drop-Off: 10/15 6:30pm

Corporate Code: 8572130
Coupon Code: BJ's $30 off - ND3Z33ZDE

$210 for a Midsize SUV

So I checked out that city special on Dollar (it took me a while to get there;)), and I got really excited when I saw a price of $147 for a compact. That was until I saw that it was just the BASE price. Total with all the fees was like $250. So bummed. For only $30 more we can get the same car with all the insurance included by using uscarhire.com from the UK. Not a great deal until you factor in all the insurance. And yes I know that our insurance will cover the rental, but DH is soooo paranoid about using ours.:rolleyes2 It would have to be a ridiculous deal to convince him to use our insurance. So, I will keep looking!:surfweb:

So I checked out that city special on Dollar (it took me a while to get there;)), and I got really excited when I saw a price of $147 for a compact. That was until I saw that it was just the BASE price. Total with all the fees was like $250. So bummed. For only $30 more we can get the same car with all the insurance included by using uscarhire.com from the UK. Not a great deal until you factor in all the insurance. And yes I know that our insurance will cover the rental, but DH is soooo paranoid about using ours.:rolleyes2 It would have to be a ridiculous deal to convince him to use our insurance. So, I will keep looking!:surfweb:

I don't believe you can get the insurances included if you're a US or Can driver. They used to do it but now they don't any longer according to their website:
http://www.uscarhire.com/carrentaldomestic.aspx

I just booked a mid size for 165.00 from Dollar for 9 days using the city special. The only info I gave was name phone and email. It didn't ask me how many drivers, insurance or anything.
So what am I missing and how much can I expect this price to increase at the counter? :confused3

I just booked a mid size for 165.00 from Dollar for 9 days using the city special. The only info I gave was name phone and email. It didn't ask me how many drivers, insurance or anything.
So what am I missing and how much can I expect this price to increase at the counter? :confused3

The insurance information was on that page you were directed to after you clicked on the since of vehicle you wanted. It was below the bunch of things you could select like car seats and GPS. They were called "protection packages". Then on the next page, where you put in your name for the reservation, if you looked below, there was an area to click to see "policies, terms & conditions" In there it said that there "may" be a charge for additional drivers (I'd expect it). If you want to have a better idea of what you'll pay w/ their insurance, you better go back to that.

Just booked for 10/22-10/27 for a midsize for $209 using the Dollar city special. Not great at all, but at least I've got something to start from. I had resigned myself to the fact I'd be using ME for this trip, which I've never done, but I was a bit panicky thinking we'd be 'stuck' without a car.

I don't believe you can get the insurances included if you're a US or Can driver. They used to do it but now they don't any longer according to their website:
http://www.uscarhire.com/carrentaldomestic.aspx

That's odd because my invoice from them states that I have booked a car with silver inclusive that includes all the insurance. I am going to send them a request for more information. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Does this deal (or Dollar at MCO) allow a spouse to be an additional driver for free?

I went through the booking process and the 'fine print' does not say spouses are free...

I also did some Google-in and found this article form earlier this yer where it looks like Dollar reserves the right to charge an additional driver fee for spouses.

In any case, it may not matter to some, but for me adding an additional ~$70 to the advertised rate puts it back in-line with all the other companies.

From Mousesavers:
Additional Drivers
Be aware that most Dollar locations, including the Orlando airport location, charge a premium on additional drivers, even if they are a spouse or domestic partner. Typically the cost is about $10 per day.

I booked using City Special. $301.12 for minivan from 10/12 to 10/19. I'm still looking for at least a full size for around $200. But, will take this for now.

I received a response to my email regarding our rental with uscarhire and they assured me that we are booked with insurance. Now, I sent a follow up email inquiring as to whether this was a new policy and would it affect us in the future. I will update with their response, just in case anyone is considering using this company.
BTW, my car will be supplied by Alamo at MCO.

From Mousesavers:
Additional Drivers
Be aware that most Dollar locations, including the Orlando airport location, charge a premium on additional drivers, even if they are a spouse or domestic partner. Typically the cost is about $10 per day.
Thanks.

am I missing something. I don't see the city special on the site. Is it gone already?

I found it last week, by searching for rates for my dates, then it was in the car selection column, a button to click on to see City Specials.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter