• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

I had to upload it to photobucket and link the URL.

I'm not sure what was going on but it's all good.

WELCOME HOME to all of our new AKV neighbors!

I love the new mascot image that was created, and have changed my avatar likewise! Thanks guys! I don't remember which one of you made it - but bravo - I like. Good job. :worship:

We are so looking forward to our first trip to AKV. Like I said back on page 1, we'll be there for a split stay this Oct - starting out at BWV for 3 nights, then over to AKV for 5 nights. I loved seeing little Kidani, and definitely shared the photos with the entire family. We can't wait to experience that savannah view.

It's great to see so much action on this thread in just a couple of days. :thumbsup2 Keep it going - it was fun to read through it all. I'll make a point of dropping in and saying hi as I make the DIS rounds each day.

This is a terrific thread and I can't wait to continue reading the posts!! Love the Kidani avatar. :goodvibes It was exciting seeing the picture of the Kidani Village sign, too! DH and I were there last month in a 1 bdrm. SV room and it was so incredible!! :lovestruc

I've adopted it as my own even though we're still in the waiting for ROFR stage. Hope no one minds! :goodvibes :banana:

I've adopted it as my own even though we're still in the waiting for ROFR stage. Hope no one minds! :goodvibes :banana:

Looks like AKV resales are about the same as Disney prices after discount (~$94 per point). Why did you decide to go with resale? Smaller contract? Just curious.

Good luck with ROFR :wizard:

Question for all of you knowledgeable AKVers out there:
We are currently trying to figure out what way to go for our trip next year. I am still trying to understand the options and what would work best for us. It will be my family (me, DH, and our 2 DSs - 7 & 9) and my dad and step-mom. We were originally thinking of getting two studios but have started considering going with a 2 bedroom instead. I know I would want to definitely try to stay in Kidani and would prefer dedicated 2 bedroom. So that eliminates the value category as a possibility - right? I like the thought of only 25 pts per night but really want to stay in Kidani and would like to have savanna view. Any suggestions as what might work for us? We will be staying at AKV for 5 or 6 nights and then moving to a OKW or BWV studio (hopefully) for 5 or 6 nights. Any thoughts?

I did it and want to thank you for the easiest directions ever. Now I have the logo too! :cool1:

Excellent work - you've saved me the effort of bothering! The only thing I might tweak is the font.

1. Right-click, "save as" on the avatar image. Save it to your desktop.
2. Click on "User CP" at the top left of the page.
3. Click on "Edit Avatar"
4. At the bottom, choose to upload your own image, and grab the file you just saved to your desktop.
5. Click the SAVE button, and you're done.

Good luck with ROFR :wizard:

Question for all of you knowledgeable AKVers out there:
We are currently trying to figure out what way to go for our trip next year. I am still trying to understand the options and what would work best for us. It will be my family (me, DH, and our 2 DSs - 7 & 9) and my dad and step-mom. We were originally thinking of getting two studios but have started considering going with a 2 bedroom instead. I know I would want to definitely try to stay in Kidani and would prefer dedicated 2 bedroom. So that eliminates the value category as a possibility - right? I like the thought of only 25 pts per night but really want to stay in Kidani and would like to have savanna view. Any suggestions as what might work for us? We will be staying at AKV for 5 or 6 nights and then moving to a OKW or BWV studio (hopefully) for 5 or 6 nights. Any thoughts?

From a point economy standpoint, you pay about a 50% point premium for moving up to a 2-BR instead of two value studios (should you decide you're okay with Jambo House). If you compare standard studios to standard 2-BRs, you're still looking at about a 25% point premium.

My recommendation would be to go with two value studios in Jambo House, and to request Savanna View for both, which you've got a solid chance at getting - nearly all of the values are savannah or pool view (which is still a partial savanna view).

EDIT: lol, I can never decide whether to spell "savanna" or "savannah", and in this post I did both.

From a point economy standpoint, you pay about a 50% point premium for moving up to a 2-BR instead of two value studios (should you decide you're okay with Jambo House). If you compare standard studios to standard 2-BRs, you're still looking at about a 25% point premium.

My recommendation would be to go with two value studios in Jambo House, and to request Savanna View for both, which you've got a solid chance at getting - nearly all of the values are savannah or pool view (which is still a partial savanna view).

Thanks for the input. We thought it might be nice to have the 2 bedroom for just a few nights but we would certainly be fine with studios. I really want to stay in Kidani because I know my kids will absolutely LOVE the Uwanja Camp. Since we bought in under the current promo, we have 320 points to use in 2009 so we have some room to play :teeth:

EDIT: lol, I can never decide whether to spell "savanna" or "savannah", and in this post I did both.

I'm with you - I can never decide to use the h or not :rotfl:

Thanks for the input. We thought it might be nice to have the 2 bedroom for just a few nights but we would certainly be fine with studios. I really want to stay in Kidani because I know my kids will absolutely LOVE the Uwanja Camp. Since we bought in under the current promo, we have 320 points to use in 2009 so we have some room to play :teeth:

Great for you! I didn't get any dev points when I bought last year. I suppose having had 2007 points compensates though.

And I see you're using the signature AKV banner I created - EXCELLENT choice! :lmao:

Great for you! I didn't get any dev points when I bought last year. I suppose having had 2007 points compensates though.

And I see you're using the signature AKV banner I created - EXCELLENT choice! :lmao:

We received 160 developer points for use at SSR as well as all 160 2008 points and 160 2009 points. Too good of a deal to pass up :thumbsup2

Thanks for the AKV banner as well - it is my fav :)

Looks like AKV resales are about the same as Disney prices after discount (~$94 per point). Why did you decide to go with resale? Smaller contract? Just curious.

We went on the tour in March & just feel in love with AKV :lovestruc :lovestruc but we don't have 16K+ to spend right now. So, as you guessed we went for the resale for the smaller contract. Hopefully we'll be able to add on in the future (ssshhh don't tell my DH I just said that :ssst: ;) ) We're actually paying $95/pt. More than I wanted to spend, but not really worth haggling over $100. The good news is it will most likely pass ROFR. Thanks to all for sending pixie dust my way :worship: Here's some back at you for others that are also waiting pixiedust: pixiedust:

Another member here. We bought 180 points last summer and spent our first visit over Christmas in a 1BR value. We loved having the extra room that we now get with DVC over even the deluxe resorts. Our value room had a view of the parking lot as some values do, but we didn't mind at all as it was quiet and if we wanted to see the animals, we went across the hall to the window and viewed the Savannah. This July we are trying the 2BR value. It will be nice for Dw and I to have a BR and the 3 kids to have a BR and still have the LR area to relax in.

We went on the tour in March & just feel in love with AKV :lovestruc :lovestruc but we don't have 16K+ to spend right now. So, as you guessed we went for the resale for the smaller contract. Hopefully we'll be able to add on in the future (ssshhh don't tell my DH I just said that :ssst: ;) ) We're actually paying $95/pt. More than I wanted to spend, but not really worth haggling over $100. The good news is it will most likely pass ROFR. Thanks to all for sending pixie dust my way :worship: Here's some back at you for others that are also waiting pixiedust: pixiedust:

I think you made a smart move, and you certainly picked the right resort for having a small contract. Value studios will let you stretch those points a LONG way - we have a Sun-Thurs reservation coming up in August for our mothers in a value studio, and it's only 45 points! And there's a good chance it'll even be Savanna view! :worship:

Also, good move not stretching yourself for the 160 points with 10% Disney financing (not trying to start a controversy, move along everyone...)

I think you made a smart move, and you certainly picked the right resort for having a small contract. Value studios will let you stretch those points a LONG way - we have a Sun-Thurs reservation coming up in August for our mothers in a value studio, and it's only 45 points! And there's a good chance it'll even be Savanna view! :worship:

Also, good move not stretching yourself for the 160 points with 10% Disney financing (not trying to start a controversy, move along everyone...)

Wow only 45 pts.! :cool1: :banana: I think we made the right decision for us too. Also, not trying to start anything, but we made the decision we would not buy more pts. than we could pay cash for. We didn't want to finance. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's just not right for us.

I'd also like to take my mom there someday. She's a HUGE giraffe fan. I know she'd love it :lovestruc :cloud9: I can't wait to book my 1st trip. Assuming I pass ROFR that is :laughing: ;)

Another member here. We bought 180 points last summer and spent our first visit over Christmas in a 1BR value. We loved having the extra room that we now get with DVC over even the deluxe resorts. Our value room had a view of the parking lot as some values do, but we didn't mind at all as it was quiet and if we wanted to see the animals, we went across the hall to the window and viewed the Savannah. This July we are trying the 2BR value. It will be nice for Dw and I to have a BR and the 3 kids to have a BR and still have the LR area to relax in.

We'd love to be able to do a 2BR for just what you described - but our upcoming trip will be in a 1BR... then as we look at our '09 trip, perhaps we'll do the 2BR for ourselves - but we might be bringing grandparents along on that one - so maybe not. Regardless, we're just thrilled that we'll have space for the kids to sleep - and to stay up in a separate space "without them". ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter