The NEW 'Lets Help Each Other Whilst On The Atkins Plan' Thread

Hi guys I just found you. I love the DIS and am so glad to see this support group going on. SO and I decided we really needed to lose some weight and on Sat. I bought the Atkin's book. We went grocery shopping for lots of meats and cheese (anyone notice how yummy foods (read high carb) are so much cheaper than meat? Oh well. We started Sunday. Breakfast was scrambled egg with cheese, sausage, and bacon. Lunch we had turkey roastbeef and cheese roll ups with a small salad. Dinner was tuna salad and sugar free jello. Today I feel so sick. I have had a monster headache since last evening. I am used to Migraines as I have had them for years and they usually make me sick to my stomach. I had to skip the breakfast and could barely swallow down the small salad I had for lunch. For dinner we are supposed to have ham, but I can barely walk into the kitchen the thought of food is so disgusting to me. I am only on the second day but I do not know if I can do this. I am already sick of water and iced tea. I want a drink with flavor. I have never been a coffee drinker and I dislike the aftertaste of diet soda. I am so sorry to be sitting here complaining, but I guess I just need some encouragement.

I hope you're feeling better now. Some people do get pretty sick with Atkins. I got a headache the first day, so I stopped Atkins and just went with the Low-Carb diet (at least my version of it). I low carb for breakfast and lunch, and then eat sensibly for supper. I lose about 2 pounds per week - not bad at all.

I just found this thread....just wanted to say keep up the good work to those that are on the diet. You will see results. Remember everybody's Body is different so you will see different results.

I started on Atkins about 4 weeks ago and last time I checked I was 35 lbs with alot more to go. So it can be done. Remember eat until you are full. Eat hamburger, chicken, bacon, sugar free jello, surgar free ice-pops( just found these in the store and they are great) unilt you are full. Drink tons of water. Once you break the carb habit it's easy to stay on the diet.

Good Luck.

Rosemary - Yes, I got very bloated too when I was PMSing and gained 2lbs. But I weighed myself a few days after I started and lost the 2lbs of water PLUS 2lbs.

Disney845 - I felt TERRIBLE for a few days doing Atkins (I think day 2 & 3), but when it passed, I felt SO MUCH better! DD had just finished their DARE and health unit at school and was teasing me that I had to DETOX! Now, I have no cravings, staying on Atkins is so much easier for me and I'm not even tempted by the treats I get for the kids, I have a constant energy instead of alternating between sugar highs and lows all day. It helped me to take a good multivitamin/mineral and to divide up my carbs evenly through the day rather than saving them up for a big salad at dinner. Once I started adding some mushrooms or tomato to my omelet in the morning, some sliced tomato at lunch or a small salad, then another small serving of legal veggies at dinner, the yucky feeling went away.

The first couple of days eating low carb I felt horrible. I felt like I had the flu. Bad headache, stomach upset and dizziness. By day 4 I felt better than ever! Give it a good week before you give up.

I have found a heavenly treat! I just bought an Atkins Endulge Chocolate Peanut Candy Bar. It was one of the BEST pieces of candy I have EVER had!

I know it's been mentioned before -- but this message board site for low carb is TERRIFIC!
http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

Also -- here is a link to a thread with LOTS of links to low carb info.
http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6679

I have started a web page showing my low carb success. Ofcourse it is still in the 'before' stage -- but I'm looking forward to the day that I can post some 'after' pics too.:p
www.wovenwonder.com/jodysjourney
:D

Jody - Nice website! I see your from Pa Dutch Country, we'll be spending the holiday weekend there. I'm already thinking that lunch at Plain & Fancy will be a planned cheat, but the rest of the time I want to stick with low carbs. Have you been to Hershey Park? Is there anyplace I can get a chef's salad for lunch? Otherwise I'll do the hotdog with no bun. Any tips for visiting the area?

I have been dying to try some of the low carb chocolate snacks, but I'm worried that it will start me on a binge.

I didn't get an exact starting weight but I believe I have lost between 5 and 8 lbs on the induction phase. The bloating I had earlier has gone away (yes, I believe it was a monthly thing!). I have been walking the lake in my town (3.3 miles) while my DD's are at camp in the morning. My legs ache but I am getting used to it!!

Bottom line: I feel good!!!! And I survived all the July 4 baked goods!!

Hope everyone else is doing good too!!

Keep it up!

Disney845: You will feel yucky (headache, etc) for a couple of days while your body goes through carb withdrawl. But, after a couple of days you will feel GREAT! Your energy will be much higher, you'll sleep better, and you won't get the "highs and lows" during the day!

Suggestion for drink: Buy Splenda and use that to make Koolaid, instead of sugar! You won't be able to tell the difference in taste, and you can drink all the different flavors! :D

Anybody still doing Atkins? I started three days ago, and was hoping to find a few folks around to commiserate with! :)

Today was definitly my yucky Atkins Flu day....headaches body aches, just did not want to do anything.

Hope everyone else is still doing well with the plan!:wave:

Good luck!! I just couldn't stick with the total Atkins diet. Instead, I have started drinking Slim-fast for breakfast, eating a low-carb bar for lunch, and I try to eat a big old tuna salad for supper. I've still lost weight, but a little slower. But, YOU CAN DO IT!!

I'm still here and sticking with it (for the most part). Week one and two lost 3 pounds each. Week three gained back 5 pounds (ugly TOM). Week four down a pound but still working at it!

Be sure to check out the low carb message boards which I linked in another post! They are terrific.
:p

I agree with Wonderwoven. The website that she posted is awesome. Give alot of great tips, recipes and suggestions. If you are having problems sticking to the diet, stalled or other questions, they have alot of great answers.

Between the Dis and Atkinsfriends, you cant go wrong.

Good luck everyone.

BTW, Atkins Blueberry Muffins are absolutely wonderful, they taste just like a real blueberry muffin, the banana ones are ok but not quite the real thing.

Also, I forgot to tell you. If you want to keep track of your carb/fat/protein intake, try www.fitday.com It is a great site to keep track of any or all the above. You can customize it, adding food that you eat that it not in there. I find it great to use. Check it out.

I spent today trying on everything in my closet! :) :bounce:
Today is only day 6 and I have lost 7 pounds!

Absolutly amazing, I haven't been hungry once, and I haven't had any cravings for sweets. I used to have the cravings so bad that I would literally jump up and run to the kitchen. Anyone else ever open a can of chocolate frosting and dig in cause ya had to get that sweet stuff? :( I am ashamed to admit it, but I have, it was like I wasn't in control of my body.

Atkins may just be my personal miracle!

Good luck everyone!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I have been doing WW and have lost 7lbs doing that, but I want to drop a lot before we go to WDW next month, so I started Atkins again last Sunday. So far, I have lost another 5lbs!! I have done Atkins in the past and lost 30 lbs, but then I got burned out and eventually gained it all back. I don't get the headaches or flu like symptoms, but I can only handle Atkins for about a month at a time. Hopefully I will lose at least another 5 by the end of next week!

How's it going folks, haven't seen any new posts in a few days, and thought I'd check up on ya'll.

I'm still on Atkins....day 9, and still hanging in there!:bounce:

i was doing atkins and doing great. I completely stopped due to many factors but partly laziness. I intend to restart induction on Monday morning. I am going shopping and hardboiling my eggs to get ready. Anyone else interested in a reinduction. How about a water challenge? I challenge to drink 80 oz of H2O on monday. Good luck to anyone trying to lose weight. An addiction and a health crisis all rolled up into one delightful problem.

Still doing it....I believe I am starting week 4!! I have strayed a little........adding cream to my coffe and just couldn't resist my cousins shortbread cookies and broccoli salad at a family reunion last week!!

I leave in less than 2 weeks and plan to go strong again starting tomorrow (I ran out of eggs!!).

I have been living on chickenn caesar salads.........

rbazzotta,
I make my own Broccolli Salad -- and it helps get me thru some of the tougher days;) :

Broccolli Florets
Crumbled cooked bacon (reserve drippings)
Shredded cheddar cheese
chopped onion

Dressing -- Mayo, bacon drippings, and Splenda to taste

Mix first four ingredients and toss with Dressing.

YUMMY!
:D

WATER CHALLENGE - alrighty then, I drank 8 cups of water today. Not bad for me. I'll try to get more in tomorrow. I am feeling a little bloated though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter