The flu has me freaking out!

The most contagious bug I've ever encountered was the norovirus. Our friends didn't know what their son had but described the symptoms. I didn't want to be rude and disinvite them from Thanksgiving dinner so warned my spouse at the time that we were all going to get sick about 12-24 hrs later. I don't know if it's my science background or what, but he didn't seem to believe me that you could not touch someone and still get sick. Well, he even finished this kid's leftovers, even after I warned him about the direct inoculation, and sure enough, he had the most violent vomiting/diarrhea he ever experienced.

Btw, antibody response takes time to build. You have an initial 'general' antibody that mounts the first resistance while your body figures out all the specifics to mount a second resistance with another specific antibody, IgG. So the first one is fast but not as effective, whereas the most effective antibody is slower. It takes at least 2 wks for that sustained response to build up, which peaks around a month.

Usually bugs aren't as contagious as the norovirus - i.e. just by breathing the same air - but I did read articles saying this flu strain can be that contagious. You can always wear a face mask :) No joke, asian countries do this all the time, and when the initial swine flu fears hit years ago, the pharmaceutical vaccine company in NJ where I worked provided free vaccinations, a box of masks, and a box of gloves to every employee on campus.

The most contagious bug I've ever encountered was the norovirus. Our friends didn't know what their son had but described the symptoms. I didn't want to be rude and disinvite them from Thanksgiving dinner so warned my spouse at the time that we were all going to get sick about 12-24 hrs later. I don't know if it's my science background or what, but he didn't seem to believe me that you could not touch someone and still get sick. Well, he even finished this kid's leftovers, even after I warned him about the direct inoculation, and sure enough, he had the most violent vomiting/diarrhea he ever experienced.

Btw, antibody response takes time to build. You have an initial 'general' antibody that mounts the first resistance while your body figures out all the specifics to mount a second resistance with another specific antibody, IgG. So the first one is fast but not as effective, whereas the most effective antibody is slower. It takes at least 2 wks for that sustained response to build up, which peaks around a month.

Usually bugs aren't as contagious as the norovirus - i.e. just by breathing the same air - but I did read articles saying this flu strain can be that contagious. You can always wear a face mask :) No joke, asian countries do this all the time, and when the initial swine flu fears hit years ago, the pharmaceutical vaccine company in NJ where I worked provided free vaccinations, a box of masks, and a box of gloves to every employee on campus.
Once someone gets this, are they all set for the season, or can that person get it again? Just had this go through our house:eek:

We are leaving tomorrow for WDW and I have been a little over the top worrying about the flu. I think DH thinks I'm a little nutty at this point. I might as well wear a holster for easy access to hand sanitizer. I did keep my preschooler home this week, at the recommendation of his teacher, because there are a number of kids in his class that have the flu. I'm totally aware that we can pick up germs anywhere, so I'm just trying to teach the kids good prevention and hope for the best!

If it is the exact name strain you should be fine
But...
there are innumerable strains.

Anecdotally, my Kindergarten child has brought home 3 different strains since Thanksgiving.

3 diff strains of norovirus or common cold? That seems statistically unlikely for norovirus in one season much less Kindergarten class. You’re only estimated to get it about a handful of times in your entire lifetime according to CDC.

3 diff strains of norovirus or common cold? That seems statistically unlikely for norovirus in one season much less Kindergarten class. You’re only estimated to get it about a handful of times in your entire lifetime according to CDC.
Norovirus. With one mesenteric lymphadenitis complication. And one local hospital IV fluid shortage (although they tell me it isn't just our hospital).
Winter can be over anytime now.

You’re much kinder than I am! I would have told them not to come. I can’t even believe they brought him.

Norovirus. With one mesenteric lymphadenitis complication. And one local hospital IV fluid shortage (although they tell me it isn't just our hospital).
Winter can be over anytime now.
I had this two weeks ago. I was pretty darn close to requesting a trip to the hospital. Both my kids had some kind of variation of it (vomiting but very short lived and otherwise ok). I couldn’t even walk. It took me about nine days to feel normal again. Horrible!!!!!!!

The fact that you're driving instead of flying and also staying in your own RV at Ft Wilderness should both help. Then just be sure to wash hands regularly, use hand sanitizers, etc. Hope you have a fun and healthy trip!

Thank you all so much! We are excited. The flu has popped up at our school so we may be missing the week before the trip, just in case.

Thank you all so much! We are excited. The flu has popped up at our school so we may be missing the week before the trip, just in case.

Why? By that logic, you'd have to keep them in the house...and you'd need to stay in the house too just to be sure you don't get the virus and bring it into the house. Just live your life and take common sense precautions.

even so you plus anyone else on trip needs to stay at home that week before trip based on what you are saying because you or others could bring home and give to them, daughters husband just brought flu home from work and it is now going through the kids not other way around

you're probably right ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter