The Final Frontier (DCL without Young’ens)

…so maybe there is hope that One Direction fans will find a real band some day.

Oh I hope so…
Poor unfortunate soles.

I do enjoy these mini-trip reports. Before it was swept away, I was with Wachovia Bank and often wished they would send me to W-S for some type of training but unfortunately it was usually Atlanta and once to Charlotte. Nothing really stopping me from making my own journey to visit Old Salem I guess, just have to remember to do it.

There’s a lot of that going ‘round; that “make time to do it” stuff that is. There are an embarrassingly large number of spots within easy driving distance of me that I need to get to as well. Now Charlotte, is basically my backyard so there’s not much ‘round there I’ve not done, but Atlanta is one spot that needs better exploration (as does the Raleigh area for that matter). We’ll be headed to the coast in a couple of weeks so I need to find a few more spots over that way which might deserve a proper look-see.

The DCI looks like it was fun. Wouldn't it be terrific if things like that could find a home on television so more people could enjoy them? (And not at some obscure hour on public broadcasting.) Give some love to the band kids!!

That would be nice, but it just don’t have a large enough fan base yet (though it has been growing).
Youtube and avid fans are the best bet these days (and far better than the options I had back in the day). Finals are Saturday and can be web streamed for a fee, but we’ll be helping my boy move back to school so I’ll not be seeing that one.

What were we talking about?

The Spanish inquisition?

I’ll have to see if DW allows me to get in the water.
I suspicion is that she’ll expect me to follow your lead, there.

I'll get in the water... surrounded by more tasty people... forming an impenetrable ring around me...

If the Ross Ice Shelf were to break off entirely…
That might just about do it.

So there's hope...

What confuses me about that bit of “lit” is that save for the fact that the dude is ridiculously wealthy, in any other story line his actions would have painted him as an abusive psycho to be reviled and feared by the readers.

I must admit to being only peripherally aware of the book/movie.
And I'm okay with that.

I tend to be a bit slow in getting them put together (especially when compared to most of the folks ‘round here).

It's a bit of a conundrum.
My first TR I got some complaints because I was posting too quickly and learned to slow down.
But you can't win. No matter what you do, you'll be either too fast, or not fast enough.

But I’d like to at least attempt to keep y’all somewhat entertained (or abused as the case may be),

Oh, that's okay. I completely anticipate the abuse.

Those being the “real life update” and the “picture heavy” post.

:rolleyes1 I am familiar with the genre.

But I’m going to do them in my own idiom
(as Lancelot would say).

:laughing:

So for those that are still here…

(SUCKERS!)

Dang it!!!

We got tickets to go see a Corps Show.

Yuck! Who wants to see a show about corpses?
Is the embalming a part of it? eww...

Basically it’s a concert.

With dead people?!?!?

With a little bit of dance added in and even a smidgen of theatrics and pageantry.

They dance with the dead people????

it’s live music.

Shouldn't that be "dead music"?

So after stopping at a fine little breakfast restaurant near home called “Toast”

My Mcaffee says no to that site. Is it the one on 101 N Main St, Davidson, NC?

BF2-101_zpsmseybo7v.jpg

Love that bridge!

While this may be acting as somewhat of a time machine, you can see form the date posted that it isn’t quite as old as everything else that we’re going to be seeing today…

Who cares if it's new (well, it would be better if it was old, but...)
The craftsmanship and design is awesome.

In the front of the two room shop is where a couple of fellows were actually working on building flintlock rifles and explaining the procedures involved to anyone that happened in (even us for some strange reason).

Interesting.

That they would explain to you, I mean.

Notice I didn’t take a picture of the front? I don’t know why that was so, but I just didn’t.
There are times when I can be right dense (many to be sure).
That was one of the more blatant.

I have similar moments of equal density.

And it can be all yours if you wish to plunk down the bucks needed to acquire the property.

Not right now thanks, our dollar is at an 11 year low compared to the greenback.
Ask me again when oil has doubled in price.

Something else that Max made note of here was that as steep as the stairs were and creaky as the floors were, no one would be sneaking out of this house in the middle of the night without mom and dad knowing about.

Max has obviously never snuck out a window.

(Such neglect… I’m half surprised the DSS hasn’t already steped in, declared you a failure as a parent
and carted the kids off… Sheese!)

A bit over from where the pump is located you’ll find the Single Girls House…

All right! Now we're talkin'!

Additionally they would tie those caps with ribbons of specific colors denoting their status. For the young girls it was red ribbons, single women of age wore pink, the married women wore blue and white was reserved for widows.
It was a kind of color coding system for instant recognition.

I had heard of that with some of the (I believe) Hutterite colonies around here.

But since we can’t get into that building (you know the house mother surely wouldn’t be letting Max though the door) we might as well move on.

Max has not heard of sneaking in a window, either.

The Miksch House is the oldest structure in Salem and the first building constructed here back in 1771…

Wow. Hard to believe it's still standing.

Boys as young as twelve would come here to live and be apprenticed to one of the master craftsman to learn a trade.

And to dream of the contents of the Single Girls House.

It now has an electric air supply for the wind chest but originally it would have been pumped using the large handle in the lower left of the picture.

D'oh! Of course it did. Sometimes I forget that these things need air.. and that air has to be pushed through somehow.

Although George Washington got to spend a bit of time here (true story, not just hyperbole),

Huh. Interesting.

And by newer I mean the one that was built in 1816…

Practically modern.

Ranks as one of the best restaurants in all of Winston Salem, but how you review it may depend on whether you stop by for brunch or dinner. In either case, I believe you’ll find the food and service to be rather good, but it will also appear to be a rather different place once the sun goes down.

Interesting that it would have such a dichotomy.
I suppose the locals tend to get tired of the "acting" after work.

They are quite intimate and only have four or five tables in each space…

Nice. I like that. Too many places are like eating in a barn, now.

BF2-140_zpsct2curju.jpg

AAAAAAARRRRRG!

Ahhh!!!! Geez! Don't do that!

In his most natural mode (apart from playing his horn that is) and spending some quality time with the electronic pacifier that has become an inseparable body part for all folks of his generation. I believe we’d have to perform a cell-phone-ectomy just to get it out of his hand.

I wonder if he is the only person like that in the world?

:sad2:

(Did I mention that the place also offers draft and craft bears and ciders and has a full bar as well?)

Nope.

I had the “8 Hour Pot Roast”

How was it?

We think that the internet that Max was so engrossed by back at dinner is causing great upheaval in society, but it’s nothing compared to the amount of change that this device caused

::yes::

Geez, I was just kidding earlier about the corpses... and now I see I was right all along! :laughing:

Or just as unfairly stereotyped as the pathetic dork fest that mucks up the field during half time while we’re all heading to the concession stands for a beer and a hot dog or six.

You want to see pathetic? Come up here.
Well, I shouldn't say that really. It's usually just 12 or 14 year olds playing.
We don't have anything like the bands you guys have.

Now then, for the three of you that actually strayed

I did not stray(ed), I stayed.

In fact I dare the typical athlete to try and keep up with the kids in most programs that partake of this particular activity.

Huh. Really! Never would've thought that. Do elaborate.

Once accepted, they give up their summers to first spend a month working sun up to sun down learning and perfecting very difficult music and choreography for what is basically a twenty minute interpretive play. Then they head out for the remainder of the summer covering an average of around 10,000 miles or so by bus, living out of duffle bags, sleeping on gymnasium floors, rehearsing in the high summer heat and performing for crowds and judges five to six times a week.

Gotcha. That does sound pretty strenuous.
I won't look at a marching band in the same way again.

No slight to the Marines, but they do still have very strict regulations on what they can and can’t do while presenting music in any ceremonial capacity. Actually, that performance pushed those imposed boundaries to a good extent

Makes sense. Hadn't thought about that.

Not much to see there.
Apart from the words “Abandon all hope, ye who enter here”

Perfect.

That’s the first big “hit” of the show (apart from the first full horn punch that is).

Cool.

Then this is the place where you can satisfy that odd desire.

And I did. Watched the whole thing.
Sometimes I'd forget that the music was actually being performed by the people on the field. (That's a good thing) And there's so much to see! The eye doesn't know where to focus!

Now I promise (with all my heart) straight to all of you right here and now, that I won’t do that to you again. Run on and on about something you can’t really get into, that is. Not in this post at least. I’ll be far more brief about any other performances I may discus and you have my permission to even bail on the remainder of this dissertation if’n you want.

Oh, shut up.
Keep it coming.

The corps was founded in 1989 (making them one of the youngest organizations in DCI) and presented their first “home” performance at a show in Charlotte in August on 1990. It just happened to be on the same day that I officially proposed to my wife. Of all the romantic places I could conceivable have taken her out to after dinner, I took her to a Corps show to see our new hometown kids compete.

And she said "Yes"!?!?!?!?

:faint:

She got a dang good idea of just what kind of foolishness she was getting herself into right then and there.

“The Cadets”

Are based in Allentown, PA and are one of the four corps in the hunt for all the cookies this year.

I didn't even remember that you saw more than one band.

DCI has begun to allow other brass horns into routines so long as they aren’t the main horn used in the show.

Interesting.

One of the things these guys are known for is just how lush and strong the low horns blend together. It’s almost a signature sound. Give it a listen and I think you’ll see what I mean…

I didn't listen (or watch) the other videos, gotta get going to work, but I did listen to that one as I read.
I don't have enough experience to differentiate between more than the two vids that I heard. But yes, they do sound differently from the previous.
Do many have distinct sounds that a connoisseur might be able to identify the band by its sound?

I’m behind on getting the next chapter put together. That, in and of itself, is actually not all that surprising. I tend to be a bit slow in getting them put together (especially when compared to most of the folks ‘round here).
No... that's fine. I can keep up easier at this pace.

If you’ve ever seen or read about how the folks in Williamsburg, VA maintain the center of their old historic district as a living history museum dedicated to its colonial period and way of life…
Then you’ve got a good idea of what’s going on in Old Salem.

Just on a smaller scale
Cool! Thanks for the tour and the history lesson. I think it is really neat that it is still a public location where anyone walking down the street or making a wrong turn can find themselves amongst history. What was the asking price on that house that was for sale? Not that I'm interested, just kind of curious.

And I know you enjoyed the Corps performances. The hometown band looks like they put on a pretty good show.

Based on pictures anyway.

It looked good. I can only assume they sounded and moved just as good.

Now all that remained was the drive back home which took until about 1:30 in the very AM and a 7am Monday morning appointment with my dentist. I don’t think I’ll be writing much about that one though if you don’t mind too terribly
Yuck. There are a lot of crappy ways to start your week. This may just be at the top of the list of crappy ways to start a week.

I'll get in the water... surrounded by more tasty people... forming an impenetrable ring around me...
More tasty?
I believe I can consider for a moment the notion that sharks might be connoisseurs…
But just how - exactly - does your selection process work here.

It's a bit of a conundrum.
My first TR I got some complaints because I was posting too quickly and learned to slow down.
But you can't win. No matter what you do, you'll be either too fast, or not fast enough.
Pretty sure I’ll never be seen as going too fast so I’ve only got to deal with half of the problems you’ve encountered.

:rolleyes1 I am familiar with the genre.
Well, one of them… maybe… but you also make it work rather well

Yuck! Who wants to see a show about corpses?
Is the embalming a part of it? eww...

With dead people?!?!?

They dance with the dead people????

Shouldn't that be "dead music"?

:laughing: nice run there.

But is all truth… you’re not all that far off. It would depend on the story they chose to tell.
I have seen my share of zombie and supernatural themed presentations.

My Mcaffee says no to that site. Is it the one on 101 N Main St, Davidson, NC?

Interesting… The one I frequent in in SC on Highway-160 (in the same area there’s also some excellent BBQ and a fine Italian joint if for some odd reason you were to be traveling this direction).

There are a handful of spots with the same name and I think I saw where they may be in the process of changing it before they expand any farther. That might have something to do with the odd ball website.

Interesting.

That they would explain to you, I mean.
Indeed… Abuse I’m quite used to.

Inclusion as a member of society deserving of any respect what so ever… that unnerves me.
(good that it don’t happen very often)

Max has obviously never snuck out a window.
Our previous house was built into a hillside with a walkout basement.
The windows to his room were effectively a sheer three-story drop.
Down the stairs and out the door – quietly – would have been his best option.

In the Current house, Ehhh…
He’s rarely here and being 20ish, he can come and go as he pleases.

Max has not heard of sneaking in a window, either.
That’s a different ball of wax.
The trouble there was that mom and dad were hanging around.
Were he on his own…

And to dream of the contents of the Single Girls House.
Oh, but don’t we all…

Well, the guys anyway.
Well… most of the guys.
And maybe some of the…

Oh, never mind.

Interesting that it would have such a dichotomy.
I suppose the locals tend to get tired of the "acting" after work.
That’s about the best reasoning that I’ve hear for it.
Does make sense as the “historical attraction” part of the area is basically closes up at sundown.
Might as well present yourself as part of the general nightlife.

Ahhh!!!! Geez! Don't do that!
Sorry ‘bout that…
Imagine how I feel every time I get near anything reflective.

How was it?
All the food was excellent, and I enjoyed the pot roast immensely.
We were glad we dropped in on that one.

Geez, I was just kidding earlier about the corpses... and now I see I was right all along! :laughing:

But one of them escapes in the end.

You want to see pathetic? Come up here.
Well, I shouldn't say that really. It's usually just 12 or 14 year olds playing.
We don't have anything like the bands you guys have.
It’s interesting how regional such things are. Actually, maybe not so…
Sports are very regional as well. There’s not much interest in hockey this far south for example (at the school & college level at least).

I’ve been to a number of regional and national competitions for bands at the High School level (and we’re headed to see one of the biggest ones in November as well). From that experience it seems that there tends to be more emphasis on bands in regions that also heavily follow secondary and collegiate football (the US variety of course). There are always exceptions but there is a noticeable trend.

I did not stray(ed), I stayed.
Freudian slip on my part there…

Huh. Really! Never would've thought that. Do elaborate.
Using my son’s H.S. Alma Mater as an example, they start each year in July learning the music for the upcoming season and a little bit of marching and motion basics. The full training camp starts the first week of August with twelve hour days (granted they stay indoors in the high afternoon but head back out once the heat breaks a bit. Once school actually starts, classes are 90min each here and band is always last so they head outside around 2pm to start working. Three times a week (while everyone else clears off campus), they keep working until supper time. Net result… since the school opened in 2007: 4 state championships and never an appearance below 2nd in class when competing on the state level.

(We may be taking it a bit too seriously.)
Another story goes… a new distance running coach once came up to our director and suggested (with all sincerity) that his kids might consider practicing with the runners to build up their stamina. The Director invited said coach to come out the next day and see if he could keep up with the band geeks. About an hour or so into the experiment, the coach conceded the point and reasoned that he might ought to encourage his runners to join the music department.

Compared to the work done by the summer Corps though… event this is still minor league.

And I did. Watched the whole thing.
Sometimes I'd forget that the music was actually being performed by the people on the field. (That's a good thing) And there's so much to see! The eye doesn't know where to focus!

It can be hard to decide what part of the story to focus on. That’s one reason I like when I can see a group more than once. First, because they just keep getting better and then because I will always see something new.

And she said "Yes"!?!?!?!?

Go figure…
Like I said, she might be a little touched in the head.

But I can live with that.

I didn't listen (or watch) the other videos, gotta get going to work, but I did listen to that one as I read.
I don't have enough experience to differentiate between more than the two vids that I heard. But yes, they do sound differently from the previous.
Do many have distinct sounds that a connoisseur might be able to identify the band by its sound?

The simple answer would be yes (but it can be subtle at times). There are many factors that can cause those differences; from the requirements and arrangements of music chosen, to the mix and number of the various instruments used. The times when you’ll really notice those differences though usually have to do with the influence of the particular instructors/leaders and in the way that the players listen to and react to each other. Since those are the kind of things where personality and shared experience come into play it easy to see how the overall sound would acquire a personality as well.

You can hear a similar thing going on by listening to recordings of the great jazz bands from the swing era in particular… Glenn Miller’s group was quite different form Duke Ellington’s and neither sounded like Count Basie’s band (just to name a few of the more prolific organizations).

No... that's fine. I can keep up easier at this pace.
You do seem to have gotten a whole lot busier these days.
All good I hope.

Cool! Thanks for the tour and the history lesson. I think it is really neat that it is still a public location where anyone walking down the street or making a wrong turn can find themselves amongst history.
I wish there was more spots like it and dealing with other time periods as well.
Most cities don’t have that inclination toward preserving much of anything.

What was the asking price on that house that was for sale? Not that I'm interested, just kind of curious.
I think it was around 680k… not bad when compared to say, Manhattan, but not cheap in relation to the average in the Southeast in general.

And I know you enjoyed the Corps performances. The hometown band looks like they put on a pretty good show.

Based on pictures anyway.

It looked good. I can only assume they sounded and moved just as good.
Oh, they did. In the national finals last week, it came down to a battle between them on one other corps. The other guys squeaked out a victory in the last performance. The crowd begged to differ and was rather unhappy about that outcome (and the commentators were almost apologetic), but being as any competition that involves judges is subjective, that’s just how it goes.

Yuck. There are a lot of crappy ways to start your week. This may just be at the top of the list of crappy ways to start a week.
Crappy would be a good way to describe it.
Believe I’ll pay more attention to scheduling my next appointment.

just a small side not have you herd from agent 13 recently he was supposed to check in with 86 but hasn't been seen and his secretary is missing and her phone is disconnected?

The secretaries are dropping like flies. As for 13, have someone check locker 726 at Gatwick.
Better get 99 to do it; 86 is neigh on to useless without her watching out for him.

More tasty?
I believe I can consider for a moment the notion that sharks might be connoisseurs…
But just how - exactly - does your selection process work here.

I poke them each with a pin, one drop of blood on each should do the trick.

Pretty sure I’ll never be seen as going too fast so I’ve only got to deal with half of the problems you’ve encountered.

That's half the battle.

That's a pithy comment.

Well, one of them… maybe… but you also make it work rather well

Why, thank you kindly.

Interesting… The one I frequent in in SC on Highway-160 (in the same area there’s also some excellent BBQ and a fine Italian joint if for some odd reason you were to be traveling this direction).

There are a handful of spots with the same name and I think I saw where they may be in the process of changing it before they expand any farther. That might have something to do with the odd ball website.

Huh. Well, there ya go.

Literally.

Inclusion as a member of society deserving of any respect what so ever… that unnerves me.
(good that it don’t happen very often)

:rolleyes1

The windows to his room were effectively a sheer three-story drop.

You honestly think that would stop him? Didn't stop me.
(Then again, it was only two stories... :rolleyes:)

In the Current house, Ehhh…
He’s rarely here and being 20ish, he can come and go as he pleases.

I get that. DW does not.
"Why aren't you sleeping?"
"I'm waiting for Elle to come home."
"She's 18! Relax!"

Oh, but don’t we all…

Well, the guys anyway.
Well… most of the guys.
And maybe some of the…

Oh, never mind.

Squirrel!

Sorry ‘bout that…
Imagine how I feel every time I get near anything reflective.

oh-the-horror-1.gif

But one of them escapes in the end.

So it's all good then.

It’s interesting how regional such things are. Actually, maybe not so…
Sports are very regional as well. There’s not much interest in hockey this far south for example (at the school & college level at least).

Yeah, I get that.

Using my son’s H.S. Alma Mater as an example, they start each year in July learning the music for the upcoming season and a little bit of marching and motion basics. The full training camp starts the first week of August with twelve hour days (granted they stay indoors in the high afternoon but head back out once the heat breaks a bit. Once school actually starts, classes are 90min each here and band is always last so they head outside around 2pm to start working. Three times a week (while everyone else clears off campus), they keep working until supper time. Net result… since the school opened in 2007: 4 state championships and never an appearance below 2nd in class when competing on the state level.

I don't know whether to :eek: or :faint:

Another story goes… a new distance running coach once came up to our director and suggested (with all sincerity) that his kids might consider practicing with the runners to build up their stamina. The Director invited said coach to come out the next day and see if he could keep up with the band geeks. About an hour or so into the experiment, the coach conceded the point and reasoned that he might ought to encourage his runners to join the music department.

:laughing: Love that story!

Compared to the work done by the summer Corps though… event this is still minor league.

Go figure…
Like I said, she might be a little touched in the head.

But I can live with that.

You have to. Who else would have you!
(Don't worry, I'm in the same boat... well, more like a dinghy.)

You can hear a similar thing going on by listening to recordings of the great jazz bands from the swing era in particular… Glenn Miller’s group was quite different form Duke Ellington’s and neither sounded like Count Basie’s band (just to name a few of the more prolific organizations).

The secretaries are dropping like flies. As for 13, have someone check locker 726 at Gatwick.
Better get 99 to do it; 86 is neigh on to useless without her watching out for him.

Good suggestion both agents are being distracted immediately. Kei te ngaro tonu te papa'i parau Heoi kua kitea tona waka, kua me te tikite rererangi ki zealand hou hokona i ki tona waka kamupene. Kua tetahi kaihoko kua tukuna ki te aru ia ia ki raro.

So, after reading your replies over on pkondz's thread, I decided that this was probably a TR I should be following! You are one funny guy!

So, after reading your replies over on pkondz's thread, I decided that this was probably a TR I should be following! You are one funny guy!
O good Lord!
Do you know what this means!!!!

Now I've got to get past that blasted spell of writer's block that I've been using as an excuse and actually get back to writing this thing!

The universe may not survive!

O good Lord!
Do you know what this means!!!!

Now I've got to get past that blasted spell of writer's block that I've been using as an excuse and actually get back to writing this thing!

Yeah, a common problem amongst most TR Writers. But when 42 is no longer a significant number, I'll know that the blockage has been removed. (I hear Miralax is an excellent product for this.)

Last edited:
Whoa! Who went and revived this thing from TR purgatory?
Oh...
Just go on back to sleep.
Nothing to see here.
(especially as far as your are concerned)

But, actually I did start working on this mess again recently.
I just wasn't convinced it was worth it to to post any thing; figuring that it had done set too long.
Then all of a sudden some one says something about it.
Go figure.

Liesa! What did you do!!!!

Probably not. Almost certainly not.

Liesa! What did you do!!!!
Oh, you know, just making mayhem wherever I can.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good…

Mayhem you want, then it's mayhem you get.
Worse yet, I promise ridiculous amounts of absolute pointlessness.

If I were y'all, I wouldn't be spending any time reading beyond this point.

Really...
It's just not a good idea.

I started and stopped the update down there in the next post probably forty different times trying to decide whether or not it was even worth continuing. I’m neigh on to certain it isn’t. And I'm pretty sure that every time I restarted the process, I didn't bother taking out any of the garbage that was already left from the last time. Given the amount of time it's had to fester and my general tendencies to ramble and veer off course, what is about to occur may well be one of the single worst TR updates in recorded history.

I'd blame y'all, but I am my own curse.
You just get to suffer from it.

Or...
you could wisely choose to not read it.

That may be the only good advice you'll ever hear from me.

So much for warnings…
The monster is on its way

Hello Beasty…

c4ecdedcbbd556f9b405899dba58b620.jpg

Then the monster would end up at the top of the next page

And I like that idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter