The Edison: CHECK YOUR BILL!

Hey_Deek

Earning My Ears
Hi We went to The Edison on Saturday, May 20th. We have been there previously and enjoyed the atmosphere and food. That night I had ordered a Johnny Walker on the rocks (ice). When I got the bill, they charged me $6.00 for “rocks”. I questioned our server and she said I asked for “rocks.” True, but when does a restaurant charge for ice. If you go there, check your bill!

Online menu mentions;
Ice Options: Can be added at listed upcharge to any spirit or cocktail
King Cube, Collins Spear or Large Sphere

But if they just tossed in some standard ice I'd object too.
rock.jpg

Last edited:
Was it a regular ice cube? Or was it one of the big, fancy square cubes? If it was the big square one, those are typically extra; they’re more expensive to produce (better quality water, larger size melts much slower and doesnt water down the alcohol as quickly).

That being said, they should have disclosed the type of cube and the cost, and given you the option of having a regular cube or two for free.

Not implying anything by the OP as they just said on the rocks. But just as an FYI.

Without context, this doesn't mean anything. How much alcohol did you get (ounces). How much did it cost? It's possible that ordering it on the rocks is a double pour, or a larger pour than they typically would give.
This! It's pretty common at places we frequent. I really don't need to have a conversation over $6 so I'd actually rather the bartender not mention it.

I don’t drink at all. I looked at the menu. I was floored looking at those prices. So since I’ve saved at least a million by not drinking, I should plan another Disney trip, right?
Prices seem reasonable to me. My only beef is they are trying to get away with serving garbage wine like Belle Glos and the Prisnor. Undrinkable swill

I would not expect to be served, or charged for, premium ice cubes unless I explicitly asked for premium cubes or was offered the option.

The menu lists the special cubes as ice options. JMO but options shouldn't be an automatic order.
I don't believe they were being charged for ice, since "On the Rocks" typically means extra liquor. We need verification from OP before questioning The Edison's practice.

I don't believe they were being charged for ice, since "On the Rocks" typically means extra liquor. We need verification from OP before questioning The Edison's practice.j
Johnny Walker Red is $17, Black is $20 and special ice cubes are $2 each.

$6 would be 3 cubes. $6 sound low for a generous pour; given posted prices

No it doesn't. I have been here for half a century and "on the rocks" has ALWAYS meant with ice cubes. Not extra liquor. Where have you seen it mean that?
Whiskey is frequently served in a small glass. On the Rocks requires a larger glass. I've frequently received, not at WDW,.a generous pour. Otherwise the glass looks empty. Something like Kettle One Vodka. Absolutely an extra charge for anything more expensive.

I believe "rocks" imply extra alcohol in this context.

You are correct! In my younger years, I was a bartender in and around Orlando. What OP is describing on the bill is called a rocks charge. A rocks charge is an upcharge for a rocks pour, which is 2 ounces of liquor. A standard drink, think Jack & Coke, should have 1.25 oz of alcohol and is meant to be mixed with water, soda, or juice. A Jack on the rocks is meant to be all alcohol, served over ice, sometimes with a splash of something else (water/soda/juice). So OP, that is what the upcharge was for. You ordered your drink “on the rocks,” so you were charged for the extra alcohol. The Edison was just really transparent about their upcharge. Most restaurants will have a separate button/icon in the system for a rocks pour, so the upcharge is already included in the base price, and you don’t see the difference. For further bar nerd facts, a double pour is 2.5 oz of alcohol and often isn’t double the price. Martinis (think gin/vodka/Manhattans etc.) should also be 2.5 oz of alcohol. Since I wasn’t born yesterday, I know that bartenders often over-pour, so what you get might be more than the industry standard… or less. Also, way back when I was bartending, a rocks charge was $2, not $6 :rolleyes1

Whiskey is frequently served in a small glass. On the Rocks requires a larger glass. I've frequently received, not at WDW,.a generous pour. Otherwise the glass looks empty. Something like Kettle One Vodka. Absolutely an extra charge for anything more expensive.
I googled it to double check if anything has changed in the last couple of decades and could not find any reference to on the rocks meaning anything other than adding ice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter