The Edison: CHECK YOUR BILL!

I think it's a stretch to call the bartender dishonest. Not every transaction comes with a cost analysis. If I ask for something in a restaurant or bar (or anywhere) it's implied that I know I'll be charged. I'm making a purchase. I'd find it really irritating for the server or bartender to point out the price of everything I asked for.
Eh you view that as such a horrible thing. Any worker who doesn't disclose charges would be a dishonest one. Does it mean they are doing it with malicious intent? No not necessarily and one shouldn't assume just by me describing it as that to mean that. But to charge a customer for "on the rocks" but not disclose what that charge is either verbally or on the menu is dishonest.

As far as implied yeah well in this context that's exactly what happened to the OP, they implied (like many people would) that on the rocks meant ice, they were charged for it and wondered since when did ice become an additional charge. Wouldn't you assume if there are 3 different options for an upcharge for ice the person taking your order would ask you which one you want? I would think that and reasonably that would be implied. Do I want the sphere that is $4 or the tube that is $2? I'm sure if you were ordering you'd like that to be cleared up? Perhaps not. But regardless on their menu no $6 charge appears. I'm sure you and I reasonably would wonder where that came from.

Eh you view that as such a horrible thing. Any worker who doesn't disclose charges would be a dishonest one. Does it mean they are doing it with malicious intent? No not necessarily and one shouldn't assume just by me describing it as that to mean that. But to charge a customer for "on the rocks" but not disclose what that charge is either verbally or on the menu is dishonest.

As far as implied yeah well in this context that's exactly what happened to the OP, they implied (like many people would) that on the rocks meant ice, they were charged for it and wondered since when did ice become an additional charge. Wouldn't you assume if there are 3 different options for an upcharge for ice the person taking your order would ask you which one you want? I would think that and reasonably that would be implied. Do I want the sphere that is $4 or the tube that is $2? I'm sure if you were ordering you'd like that to be cleared up? Perhaps not. But regardless on their menu no $6 charge appears. I'm sure you and I reasonably would wonder where that came from.
I just don't think it's that big of a deal, and I highly doubt I'd even notice it on the bill. Maybe I should start looking at my receipts so that I'm not scammed in The Great Ice Cube Caper.

I just don't think it's that big of a deal, and I highly doubt I'd even notice it on the bill. Maybe I should start looking at my receipts so that I'm not scammed in The Great Ice Cube Caper.
Well that's totally valid that it's not a big deal to you :) but that wasn't the conversation. I'd find a $6 charge a big deal but probably not $1 or $2 someone else may not care no matter what and shrug whatever off even higher than $6.

If you're informed (either verbally or the menu) by all means order whatever you want. It goes for all sorts of things but at least you know what you're being charged for. Shared plate, split checks, larger parties, additional sides or premium sides (or whatever a particular place decides to call them), additional sauce, added chicken/steak/seafood, and the list goes on.

You probably should keep an eye out on your receipts you might be surprised at what you find, that's not about being asinine that's being 100% real, things happen, misplaced charges like someone's order on your bill or an incorrect item rung up, charges not advised to you and more. At the beginning of the year one of the places we went to double charged my sister-in-law for a replacement item when she asked for a burger without cheese and the way they rung it up for the kitchen was to add another burger on there. It was on a $5 daily special so sure only $5 but you know stuff happens. In this case it was the great no cheese caper lol, forgive my attempt at levity here

here in the midwest at least on the rocks does not mean a double pour - i asked a couple of bartender friends..... it just means over ice
Hmmmmm…I am also in the Midwest. The place I frequent charges $4 for on the rocks versus neat. You can order on the rocks without the additional pour but it looks like you are getting a 1/2. The $4 and they fill it to the top.

I think it's a stretch to call the bartender dishonest. Not every transaction comes with a cost analysis. If I ask for something in a restaurant or bar (or anywhere) it's implied that I know I'll be charged. I'm making a purchase. I'd find it really irritating for the server or bartender to point out the price of everything I asked for.
I understand what you are saying, but at the same time, since they had different ice options, wouldn't it make sense for the server to ask specifically what kind? And if it is as the OP claimed, and we have no reason to doubt them, and they asked for their drink on the rocks, how does the server know what type of ice unless specified? I doubt the OP specifically stated that they wanted the $6 ice and then be surprised about it. The reality is that yes, there are those in service that will intentionally "misunderstand" and put in an order for the higher priced item. Many people don't look over their check and just pay. I am saying this from decades of working in food.

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time, since they had different ice options, wouldn't it make sense for the server to ask specifically what kind? And if it is as the OP claimed, and we have no reason to doubt them, and they asked for their drink on the rocks, how does the server know what type of ice unless specified? I doubt the OP specifically stated that they wanted the $6 ice and then be surprised about it. The reality is that yes, there are those in service that will intentionally "misunderstand" and put in an order for the higher priced item. Many people don't look over their check and just pay. I am saying this from decades of working in food.
But according to the menu someone posted on the first page there is not even option that costs $6, so??

Interesting thread. I've been around a half century as well (and visited waaaay too many bars in my lifetime. :rotfl:Several family members were bartenders back in the day. I asked a friend who used to bartend on Miami and Ft Laud beaches back in the '80s/90s and he said "on the rocks" to him meant a shot with ice, served in a regular rocks glass vs a tinier shot glass....it didn't mean any extra liquor.

I wonder if "on the rocks" = extra liquor is either (a) a regional thing - not necessarily common to all areas or (b) a more recent upsell idea, designed to drive a bit more profit per drink that just caught on?

Surely Lilsia and I can't be the only ones who thought if we ordered <insert favorite booze here> on the rocks, we're just asking for a shot in a normal glass with some ice?
I'm in the same age group, and I thought the same as you both. This is new to me! Learn something every day :)
I believe the luxury ice company is legit, although I'm not a client.

Selling rainwater from a concert? Lol. That reminds me of the Splash Mountain water ventures.
I was shocked to see all those water bottles with listed prices ranging from $15 to a grand. LOL

But according to the menu someone posted on the first page there is not even option that costs $6, so??
So then it is even weirder to be charged that. Maybe someone needs to look into what the servers are doing. 🤷‍♀️

So then it is even weirder to be charged that. Maybe someone needs to look into what the servers are doing. 🤷‍♀️
Do you really think that this bartender went out of their way to steal $6.00 from the OP? Why would someone go to the trouble, or purposely set themselves up to deal with a complaint over $6.00? It's not like the bartender pockets the $6.00 anyway. At most he's making a tip on $6.00, which even if the OP tips 25% is $1.50. Do you really think that someone complaining over $6 is tipping 25%? So, this bartender profits at most $1.50. These allegations of shenanigans are just absurd.

Do you really think that this bartender went out of their way to steal $6.00 from the OP? Why would someone go to the trouble, or purposely set themselves up to deal with a complaint over $6.00? It's not like the bartender pockets the $6.00 anyway. At most he's making a tip on $6.00, which even if the OP tips 25% is $1.50. Do you really think that someone complaining over $6 is tipping 25%? So, this bartender profits at most $1.50. These allegations of shenanigans are just absurd.
Read my other post, it could have been a misunderstanding, or it could be a server bumping up the tab. You are looking at this ONE tab, but as I said, many don't actually look at what they are being charged for. If a server does that several times, it can add up. To YOU it may sound absurd but that just shows that you don't work in this field. I have over 30 years working in food and YES, you get the employee that does stuff like this. It is not absurd because it actually happens. These people don't make a lot of money and they get desperate. Not saying that is what happened, but it is a possibility. It is also possible they misunderstood, or this is a training issue. Either way, it should be looked into.

I've always asked for "something" on the rocks for many years and I've always paid X dollars for it. I'm sure some places charged more and some charged less than say a mixed drink or another brand or another liquor type, but they never specifically used the term "upcharge". That's where all the confusion SEEMS to be stemming from. Why the Edison uses an upcharge instead of one single price that includes everything is beyond me and honestly kinda stupid IMO. Upcharge should be for substituting higher priced items in a meal or something like that. But then again they charge for ice cube shapes so I guess that answers that! I could use a drink...

OMG y’all… no one was being dishonest at The Edison. Stop.

A few things happened here, and could have been 100% circumvented by a better explanation from the server as to what 5the OP’s rocks upcharge meant. Aka that upcharge meant more liquor in his glass to fill it up! Aka He paid for what he got. Aka you order a drink “on the rocks” and you are getting a glass full of alcohol with no mixer.

Think about it. If you and your friends are out drinking, and you order a Tito’s and club soda with a lime, and your friend orders a Tito’s martini, straight up with a twist, do you expect those drinks to look the same, cost the same, and have the same amount of alcohol? No. If that was the case, everyone would be ordering martinis because you’d get 2-3 times the amount of alcohol for the same price.

Next, The Edison could use a reevaluation of how their drink menu in the POS system is programmed.

They clearly have upcharges for fancy ice shapes etc, which is adding a whole other level of confusion for some commenting on this thread. In my 15 years of being a full time bartender, I never saw or was charged for asking for ice, extra ice, a cup of ice. Other than these new fancy ice shapes, asking for ice is not a normal upcharge.

What it is is that OP did not understand that asking for something on the rocks meant more alcohol and an added cost.

What would have been best would have been to ask the bartender or manager… or have done a quick Google search, and the OP would have learned that what type of drink they enjoy (liquor on the rocks) is going to cost more.

Lastly, regarding the price list and bars in general. While some, like The Edison, do have an extensive price list for the various alcohols they offer, most places don’t. You might see a wine list, or a specialty cocktail list, but by and large bars do not list out each individual liquor price and each upcharge for drink preparation.

Where this falls is on the consumer to be a savvy drinker. If you are curious about a cost, just ask. Most people just want the drink they want, and also realize that different drinks have different prices based upon the amount of alcohol in the glass.

For those on here that did not know; if you want a drink prepared in a fashion that has more alcohol than a basic drink, expect to pay more for that added alcohol
in your glass… :duck:

I see some of you savvy drinkers already know that!

OMG y’all… no one was being dishonest at The Edison. Stop.

A few things happened here, and could have been 100% circumvented by a better explanation from the server as to what 5the OP’s rocks upcharge meant. Aka that upcharge meant more liquor in his glass to fill it up! Aka He paid for what he got. Aka you order a drink “on the rocks” and you are getting a glass full of alcohol with no mixer.

Think about it. If you and your friends are out drinking, and you order a Tito’s and club soda with a lime, and your friend orders a Tito’s martini, straight up with a twist, do you expect those drinks to look the same, cost the same, and have the same amount of alcohol? No. If that was the case, everyone would be ordering martinis because you’d get 2-3 times the amount of alcohol for the same price.

Next, The Edison could use a reevaluation of how their drink menu in the POS system is programmed.

They clearly have upcharges for fancy ice shapes etc, which is adding a whole other level of confusion for some commenting on this thread. In my 15 years of being a full time bartender, I never saw or was charged for asking for ice, extra ice, a cup of ice. Other than these new fancy ice shapes, asking for ice is not a normal upcharge.

What it is is that OP did not understand that asking for something on the rocks meant more alcohol and an added cost.

What would have been best would have been to ask the bartender or manager… or have done a quick Google search, and the OP would have learned that what type of drink they enjoy (liquor on the rocks) is going to cost more.

Lastly, regarding the price list and bars in general. While some, like The Edison, do have an extensive price list for the various alcohols they offer, most places don’t. You might see a wine list, or a specialty cocktail list, but by and large bars do not list out each individual liquor price and each upcharge for drink preparation.

Where this falls is on the consumer to be a savvy drinker. If you are curious about a cost, just ask. Most people just want the drink they want, and also realize that different drinks have different prices based upon the amount of alcohol in the glass.

For those on here that did not know; if you want a drink prepared in a fashion that has more alcohol than a basic drink, expect to pay more for that added alcohol
in your glass… :duck:

I see some of you savvy drinkers already know that!
Interesting you say multiple times in multiple ways the establishment could be clearer, change their entire sale system and have done a better job but then tsk people for not knowing that which something they couldn't have known. The Edison is far from the only themed bar like this, we've never encountered what the OP has.

Don't believe the OP wanted more alcohol they obviously were thinking about ice. The OP did ask once they got the receipt, they were not told (according to the OP) about the charge during the order (precisely why I made comment about dishonest--it was never verbally advised nor on the menu about a generic upcharge for xyz which isn't hard to do).

So what exactly falls on the consumer when they weren't notified about something that which they couldn't have known about, didn't explicitly ask for, and then asked for clarification about the charge and still didn't get a crystal clear explanation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter